Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    Let’s talk about JRPGS
    • I’ve been in a huge jrpg kick mood lately and it’s actually been lovely . I want to talk about all dem jrpgs

Lately I’ve been dividing my time between shadow hearts covenant and the first Suikoden

Shadow hearts covenant has one of my favorite battle systems I think . Not only does it have input-timed attacks but a really cool customizable magic system and teammate combo attacks ! It’s also silly as hell
      Though I kiss the darker horror at oof the first game .

Suikoden is surprisengly engaging for some reason . I thibk it’s focus on politics and war that makes it feel fresh even if there’s a little “because destiny “ sprinkled in there . Combat is simple but offers a lot of party compositions as the game has loads of characters; some that don’t even fight but to your castle and it’s awesome—especially since I think in a modern game these upgrades would like some sort of generic stat boost fir acquiring the characters .

As for the future I got Dragon Quest XI come Christmas. It looks amazing
    • i've still only really played stuff from Falcom. Mostly because so much of it is readily available on PC. Ys, Trails, Xanadu, Zwei. never anything groundbreaking, but always pretty fun and solid. Trails in particular always gets praise for its attention to NPC's daily lives and stories. i think one of my standout favourites of their stuff would actually have to be Zwei II and its semi-successor Tokyo Xanadu.

i'm not really sure what other series i'd want to branch out, if any. I guess I do own Final Fantasy IX and two Tales games on Steam if I care to get around to those.

with Ys 9 just announced though, I also feel pretty burnt out. These sorta games are all so committing and I lose more patience by the year.
    • Typhoon Sam wrote:

i've still only really played stuff from Falcom. Mostly because so much of it is readily available on PC. Ys, Trails, Xanadu, Zwei. never anything groundbreaking, but always pretty fun and solid. Trails in particular always gets praise for its attention to NPC's daily lives and stories. i think one of my standout favourites of their stuff would actually have to be Zwei II and its semi-successor Tokyo Xanadu.

i'm not really sure what other series i'd want to branch out, if any. I guess I do own Final Fantasy IX and two Tales games on Steam if I care to get around to those.

with Ys 9 just announced though, I also feel pretty burnt out. These sorta games are all so committing and I lose more patience by the year.
      I'd debate the classification of the 2D Ys games and Zwei as JRPGs. Ys VIII probably does count as one, though. Still, Falcom does solid, above-average, JRPGs mostly. Some of them are very good, some of them are just kinda OK, and some of them are Zwei: The Arges Adventure and should be avoided. :P As for other ones to try on PC, a number of older ones have PC ports, but they tend to suffer from missing quality-of-life improvements that later titles had.

JRPGs that I've enjoyed that are on PC that aren't by Falcom:

Tales of Berseria - It's a really good game. The combat could've used another pass through design (the combat in Ys VIII is fairly similar, for comparison, but Berseria is more complex), and the actual story is a bit weak at times, but the character writing is excellent. The story of people who have rejected society (or been rejected by it) working to accomplish their very different goals provides lots of opportunity for very different points of view to clash and bounce off each other in interesting ways.

NieR: Automata - Reaching with this one, if it is an RPG it's probably an Action RPG more than anything, but it's got incredibly strong writing and will take 30-40 hours to get all the "real" endings.

Final Fantasy IX - Probably my favourite FF title. It suffers a bit from the age of the graphics and gameplay, but it's still pretty playable these days and has solid writing.

Tales of Symphonia - My first-ever JRPG, and so I've got a lot of nostalgia for it. No idea if the plot and acting still holds up today, but I remember really enjoying it at the time.

...And that's about it. Unfortunately JRPGs are rarely ported to PC, since it's not really seen as a popular platform in Japan and the cost to port them is fairly high.

May those who accept their fate be granted happiness;

Those who defy it, glory!

The post was edited 1 time, last by John ().

• oh shit i forgot about NieR!

Automata has smoother gameplay for sure, but i would say i still like the setting and themes a slight more from NieR 1. both are absolutely stellar emotional rollercoasters, but the impact and weight of the characters actions in the first game, i'm still floored by things even now. The presentation and music really helps of course. Like, the final boss theme Shadowlord is good on its own, but on subsequent routes with new context it is downright haunting.

there's some rough spots gameplay wise for sure with NieR 1, especially the conditions for unlocking the final two endings, but Ending B minimum is absolutely worth the long venture.
    • Subbing. Also figured I'd ask if action RPGs count as JRPGs? I ask because when I think of JRPG's I think of turn-based combat, but I've seen Tales of Symphonia and Nier Automata mentioned and since neither have turn-based combat I'm not sure if they count. (at least I don't think I remember ToS having turn-based combat) I do love both of those games though. I'm asking because I'd like to mention all my favorite RPGs, but don't wanna get off topic.

Btw I played ToS for the first time in 2015 and I really enjoyed it so I'd say it held up.

Check out my graphic design thread and get a banner for your thread today! Tru's Banner Workshop

The post was edited 1 time, last by TruEdge67 ().

• I've never been really that good at jRPGs. Never was interested in Final Fantasy or any of the rest.

However! One jRPG series that I'm good at and I absolutely love is...

.Hack//

I fucking LOVE .Hack//. Everything about the series. I fucking LOVE it! I could talk for HOURS about .Hack// Not only do have almost all of the canon games, I also have almost all of the canon novels and manga. As well as the complete series of the .Hack//Sign anime.

I fucking ADORE .Hack//

I also like White Knight Chronicles. Shame it didn't continue after the second game.
    • I've liked most JRPGs I've played. Here are some of the ones I've played and enjoyed off the top of my head:

Final Fantasy 6 - X are my favorites in that series
      Persona 2 - 5 are awesome and I love them. 1 didn't really do anything for me.
      SMT3 Nocturne
      Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2
      Legend of Dragoon
      Grandia 2
      Lost Odyssey
      Dragon Quest 8
      Paper Mario 64 and TTYD
      Super Mario RPG
      Xenosaga
      The .hack games on PS2
      Baten Kaitos
      Tales of Symphonia
      If Nier Automata counts than that and the original Nier as well

That's it for now. I know I'm forgetting stuff. There's also a ton of JRPGs on my wishlist, but other games keep coming out and I never get a chance to get to them lol.

I know it's not a JRPG, but I wanna mention the Dark Cloud games because I love them too.

Edit: I just remembered the Mario and Luigi games. I've only played the first four, but I remember enjoying Superstar Saga, Partners in Time and Bowser's Inside Story. Dream Team didn't really do anything for me.

Edit 2: Oh, somehow I forgot the Pokemon games. I like them too.

Check out my graphic design thread and get a banner for your thread today! Tru's Banner Workshop

The post was edited 3 times, last by TruEdge67 ().

• If I had to choose my FAVORITE jrpg of all-time... it would be tough, because I'm literally a walking guidebook for Final Fantasy 6. I know every. Freakin. Line. Of that game (snes and gba) but suddenly, last year, I discovered Mother 3. And I love me some Mother 3.

And Idk if anyone knows what game this is, but it was a rpg developed for the SNES and you could choose one of like, 12 pirates to play as. What the heck was that game?!

Edit- I remember it being political, and there were trade routes for ships you had to defend, and it was awesome.

Also, Robotrek is another unique JRPG. It was very similar to how Chrono Trigger looked and you could build your own robots to fight for you. Good game.
      :ghirahim: :cucco: :look: :tingle: :moon:

The post was edited 2 times, last by Guinea ().

• Guinea wrote:

And Idk if anyone knows what game this is, but it was a rpg developed for the SNES and you could choose one of like, 12 pirates to play as. What the heck was that game?!

Edit- I remember it being political, and there were trade routes for ships you had to defend, and it was awesome.
      Sounds like Uncharted Waters: New Horizons.
      "But I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want sin."
      "In fact," said Mustapha Mond, "you're claiming the right to be unhappy."
      "All right then," said the Savage defiantly, "I'm claiming the right to be unhappy."
      "Not to mention the right to grow old and ugly and impotent; the right to have syphilis and cancer; the right to have too little to eat; the right to be lousy; the right to live in constant apprehension of what may happen to-morrow; the right to catch typhoid; the right to be tortured by unspeakable pains of every kind." There was a long silence.
      "I claim them all," said the Savage at last.
      Mustapha Mond shrugged his shoulders. "You're welcome," he said.

—Aldous Huxley, Brave New World
    • TruEdge67 wrote:

Subbing. Also figured I'd ask if action RPGs count as JRPGs? I ask because when I think of JRPG's I think of turn-based combat, but I've seen Tales of Symphonia and Nier Automata mentioned and since neither have turn-based combat I'm not sure if they count. (at least I don't think I remember ToS having turn-based combat) I do love both of those games though. I'm asking because I'd like to mention all my favorite RPGs, but don't wanna get off topic.

Btw I played ToS for the first time in 2015 and I really enjoyed it so I'd say it held up.
      Action RPGs probably count. If they don't then what about ones that use Active Time Battle? If it has to be strictly turn-based to count then there's vanishingly few JRPGs released after the late '90s.

Guinea wrote:

Oh wow I forgot how good Baiten Kaitos was and still is. Never played the sequel-prequel, so I'm adding that to the list.

Legend of Dragoon is another good game, but I never beat it :/

Paper Mario is legendary, and I have the feeling that I'm the only person in the world who enjoyed Chrono Cross more than Trigger.
      Heh, gotta say, I found Baten Kaitos really didn't hold up. I had fairly fond memories of it (my second JRPG!) but wow did a replay highlight some major flaws. Mostly in the voice acting and writing. The pre-rendered backgrounds still work well, the combat system is a bit awkward but mostly works, and the music is solid. But the voice work feels poorly acted and directed, not to mention that delightful "everyone's speaking through a cardboard tube" effect, and the actual writing has so many issues (the fact that characters are shown able to fly hundreds of feet without issue in cutscenes but can be stopped by a 10 foot gap in gameplay is...real bad) and just...argh. <<

May those who accept their fate be granted happiness;

Those who defy it, glory!
    • I'll play JRPGs pretty casually, so here's my list:

I didn't play Chrono Trigger until last year or so, but I absolutely loved it and the soundtrack definitely has a say in its value. That opening theme does an awesome job at setting the tone of the game. Then the moments where the Corridors of Time soundtrack is presented...hell yeah, buddy. Tempted to post the tracks, but it's far better if you hear them in the game for the first time.

Terranigma was also a delight in story and gameplay. There are some moments that are just like, wtf, but in a good way. I think there are some translation issues that can make you scratch your head, but I like how unfiltered some of the content is and doesn't mind throwing the reality of life at you. Its predecessors are decent, but Soul Blazer and Illusion of Gaia get stale in gameplay after a while despite strong starts and decent puzzles in temples. I'd just read those stories then play Terranigma to get a feel for how the universe works. The soundtrack here is also very nice.

Super Mario RPG is also a good one for newbies to turn based RPGs

Pokemon always solid.

Aside from Pokemon where you have specific areas where they're allowed, I don't like random battles such as those in Final Fantasy. It ruins the immersion into exploration for me.

----

Back to the Quintet trilogy (Terranigma) Illusion of Gaia is a good game and has a great story, but after the same mechanics, I got bored with it compared to Terranigma. This one may be better for other players than it was for me.

The post was edited 4 times, last by Rambo ().

• Baten Kaitos' voice acting isn't the best, to put it nicely. That said, you can turn it off and just treat it like an older rpg with no voice acting. As for the writing, it's been a while since I played it so I'd have to replay it to give an opinion in that. I do remember thinking that plot twist with them MC was pretty cool. Not gonna say what it is as not to spoil it for anyone, but if you've played Baten Kaitos, you probably know what I'm talking about.

I will say that the music 100% holds up. That I'm certain of. The music in Baten Kaitos is amazing.

The post was edited 2 times, last by TruEdge67 ().