Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    Gerudo town children (BoTW)
    • AllStarNemesis wrote:

. OOT Malon is rumored to be the product of such a union. By Talon's comments while you're wearing the Gerudo Mask
      No she's not, a female Gerudo only produces female Gerudo, no matter of which tribe the male is from.
      BOTW Gerudo only mate with Hylian males at the time of BOTW, hybrids are impossible.

Even if, the pointy ears must had been acquired after living with the Hylian blood for millenniums and centuries.

Light skinned Gerudo are like Brown skinned Gorons, it's to make the tribe more diversified, to make the npc a little more unique than the standards npc clones of OOT.

He says the same thing with the Goron mask tho ...
    • Nonoctoro wrote:

AllStarNemesis wrote:

. OOT Malon is rumored to be the product of such a union. By Talon's comments while you're wearing the Gerudo Mask
      No she's not, a female Gerudo only produces female Gerudo, no matter of which tribe the male is from.BOTW Gerudo only mate with Hylian males at the time of BOTW, hybrids are impossible.

Even if, the pointy ears must had been acquired after living with the Hylian blood for millenniums and centuries.

Light skinned Gerudo are like Brown skinned Gorons, it's to make the tribe more diversified, to make the npc a little more unique than the standards npc clones of OOT.

He says the same thing with the Goron mask tho ...
      How can you dismiss Malon being a light-skinned Gerudo, when light skinned Gerudo are confirmed to exist in Zelda lore? Besides, the similarities between the Goron mask and Gerudo mask are that they're both brown. Perhaps Talon shacked up with a chubby Gerudo woman, who left Malon in his care.

As for Gerudo with pointy ears, TPTB at Nintendo have been inconsistent. Ganondorf has pointy ears in OOT, TP and WW. However in the art for OOT, his ears are round. Same for Nabooru and the MM Gerudo pirates. All BOTW Gerudo have pointy ears too. In OOT 3Ds and MM 3DS all Gerudo ears are rounded. Similar edits were not made to TP HD and WW HD Ganondorf.

The post was edited 2 times, last by AllStarNemesis ().

• Meh, I always thought the Gerudo being all female was just a blessing of the goddess of the sands. I don't think real world genetics factors into it too much, even if it is fun to try to figure out.

For the male born every century or so, I think they just accept them as one of their own. They have a tradition of accepting this one male into their tribe, but probably not as leader any more. The way they are presented in BotW, I can't picture them throwing out a member of their own tribe just for being born. Especially because it's Nintendo.

There isn't any real evidence to support these claims, it's just the vibes I was picking up from them while playing the game. Now, the dynamics of raising a family in Gerudo culture I have an entire head canon (bordering on theory) for. :) Warning: it's kind of long.

Display Spoiler

The oasis bazaar is normally a much more developed area. Because men aren't allowed in Gerudo Town proper, most trade happens out here for the sake of convenience. Women who work and/or live in Gerudo Town bring imports from the bazaar to the town, and bring exports from the town to the bazaar for further shipment. With all this trade going on, there would normally be more tents and even permanent structures for shops, housing, all the stuff that comes with people living and working in an area.

The in game explanation for the bazaar being so under developed is that there is a giant rampaging lightning camel wreaking havoc about a mile away. The irl reason is that Nintendo... kind of sucks at this kind of world building. Or just doesn't care because desert amazons are cool.

Under normal conditions, families would mostly live in the bazaar. Wives would bring their daughters to work with them in Gerudo Town and return home to the bazaar and their husbands at night. Many traders for Gerudo Town are actually husband and wife teams. That way Gerudo girls are still raised in their culture without being estranged from their fathers. Some women may even choose to live primarily in Gerudo Town and have the bazaar be a secondary residence, or only visit if their husbands are typically gone for long periods of time.

One facet of Gerudo culture is that there is never, ever any shame associated with having a child. No matter what the circumstances-- one night stand, accidental pregnancy, out of wedlock, relationship didn't work out, dad died, whatever-- a Gerudo birth is always a cause for celebration. Other Gerudo residents provide a strong support structure for fatherless families, like a sort of sisterhood. Girls are raised almost communally. So any Gerudo woman can safely raise her daughter exclusively in Gerudo Town if she chooses and she will receive plenty of support.
    • Aww, really? I never read Creating a Champion. That puts a pretty big dent in my theory. *pouts* Maybe part of it could still work. The women still visit their husbands at the bazaar but live with their daughters in Gerudo Town. I can't imagine any father being okay with never meeting his daughter until she grows up, though. Maybe if he enters the relationship knowing and accepting that part of his wife's culture? Still doesn't seem right though.

*Sigh*, now I'm gonna have to buy the book. How canon is it?
    • Well not exactly that. The Gerudo think men bring disaster, more specifically Gerudo men bring disaster. Which leds to the point that they stopped having male children and haven't had a male leader since OoT Ganondorf. The book infers that gerudo wives go to the market to male money, the children we see in Gerudo town could be the child of one of the wives. As the children get older, they make the choice to either stay in Gerudo town as a warriors or they can go off and be married to a man.

Creating a Champion is the most canon book if you ask me.
    • My belief was that the gerudo killed the male children after they were born except for one every 100 years. Looking at the effects of having two brainwashing witches as the elders (and most likely the ones who determine the king), you start to see the cult-like behavior of the tribe as a whole. What always bothered me was the question “If the gerudo believe that men are only good for one thing, why wouldn’t they have a queen instead?”. Then it hit me: they where made to think they did.

The gerudo should look more human and hylian at that point, as they have required the surrounding settlements to reproduce. They have (for at least a few centuries prior to OoT) been intentionally bottle-necking their gene pool. That is why their eyes are now showing more variety in color. Over the years, this tradition is becoming more lenient.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Sootfeather ().