Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    Pinned
    Breath of the Wild's Timeline Placement Theories v2 [READ OP BEFORE POSTING]
    • Considering Ganon "no longer bares any trace of Ganondorf", and is "devoid intelligence", it would be pretty silly for him to just suddenly get all that back. Like, he can't be resurrected with his mind intact if he didn't have it in the first place. I'd be more inclined to believe in a Ganondorf II in the DT then that nonsense.

The post was edited 1 time, last by EnigmaFarce ().

• EnigmaFarce wrote:

Considering Ganon "no longer bares any trace of Ganondorf", and is "devoid intelligence", it would be pretty silly for him to just suddenly get all that back. Like, he can't be resurrected with his mind intact if he didn't have it in the first place. I'd be more inclined to believe in a Ganondorf II in the DT then that nonsense.
      what if the goal was to resurrect the mind of Ganondorf and place it in a new body.
    • To be fair, it's pretty nonsensical to be bringing a human Ganondorf corpse back into the picture in any capacity. At the end of WW, he's turned to stone and buried under the sea; in TP, he dies in Hyrule Field and looks nothing like the corpse we see in the trailer; FSA Ganon is a different one entirely, was sealed in the Four Sword, and had no human form at the time of his sealing; and in the DT has the same basic problem and stopped being any degree of human after ALttP.

No matter what explanation they give to pull a human Ganondorf corpse back into the open, it'll involve a lot of retconning, explicit or otherwise, so at that point contriving an excuse to also give him his mind back isn't necessarily the worst idea.
      Wither and decay... End this destiny... Break these earthly chains and set the spirit free...
    • From my observations, this Ganondorf is nothing like TP nor TWW Ganondorfs, he has similarities with Younger OOT Ganondorf, especially the round ears, but also differs a lot.
      He looks "Young", lacks a beard while having long hairs.

He's like a whole new Ganondorf with his own backstory.

Maybe Ganondorf II, as we never saw him in person, only his Ganon beast form.
      Or … another rebirth.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Nonoctoro ().

• Or he's the hero from 10,000 years ago. Which I doubt but want very badly. :XD:

Assuming a new Ganondorf, though, it'd effectively make both this new Ganondorf and Calamity Ganon useless for sussing out timeline placement, since a new Ganon could be born pretty much anywhere. We could maybe, mercifully, shunt the AT down the list since we see no other confirmed Gerudo in that timeline, but DT and CT would still be fair game.
      Wither and decay... End this destiny... Break these earthly chains and set the spirit free...
    • Setras wrote:

We could maybe, mercifully, shunt the AT down the list since we see no other confirmed Gerudo in that timeline,
      There's no Gerudo in the DT, either, buddy, not that that's stopped you.

Anyway, the best explanation is still Ganondorf II, and the fact he was sealed as Ganon doesn't provide much of a substantive reason for thinking he can't go back, either by his own will or by loss of his Trident. And I mean, OoT Ganondorf was sealed as Ganon during the final battle, but was forced out of it in the actual seal. Something similar may have happened to II.

Also, we know from FSA that Ganondorf I's malice and Ganondorf II can exist at the same time, so that might've been what Calamity Ganon was.
    • EnigmaFarce wrote:

There's no Gerudo in the DT

Koume and Kotake !

Twinrova said :
      のこる「ほろびの炎」と 「ぜつぼうの炎」がともり 「聖なるイケニエ」をささげるとき われらゲルドにつたわる 暗黒おぎしきは かんせいする 大魔王が よみがえるのだ!
      Once the “Flame of Ruin” and “Flame of Despair” are lit and we lift up the “Holy Sacrifice”, this dark ceremony handed down by us Gerudo will be complete. The Demon King will be revived!

While I agree that the Gerudo are no longer found in the DT, most likely extinct, they do mention the Gerudo and their heritage.
      Maybe they were the last two Gerudo ?

The post was edited 2 times, last by Nonoctoro ().

• I think I'd prefer this to be an entirely new reincarnation of Ganondorf than to try and shoehorn him into a pre-existing one. Those fangs he has screams vampire overlord to me.. Like a Castlevania, Dracula thing.

They say Ganondorf gave up on his human form to become the calamity. Perhaps this game will explore exactly how that went down over 10,000 years ago.

I wonder if the Hand we see in his chest was part of that Deal. I can see a scenario before the first calamity in which some powerful entity approached Ganondorf and offered him a deal in which his hatred would be spread across Hyrule in exchange for his soul. Like a hand shake to seal the deal, The hand reached into Ganondorfs body and released all the malice within like a fountain of endless rage, Creating the Calamity (A form of Malice gaining sentience and taking on the identity of Ganon). Link and Zelda may have decided to follow the Malice as it receded back to its source, Leading back to the corpse and the hand.

Links possible involvement in Ganondorfs resurrection and the AOL vibe I'm getting from this trailer. (Can't explain why). Makes feel like we may also see a return of Dark Link in some form.
      Courage is not the absence of fear, it is the ability to overcome it.
    • I really hope we don't end up with a random third Ganondorf. Either go for the original and run with it, or bite the bullet and try someone new. Ganondorf II was one thing, and likely only ended up being a wholly different Ganon in the first place due to Miyamoto's meddling in FSA's story, but if we're gonna start introducing new Ganondorfs and just have them act like the first one, then there's really no point.
    • The only problem with Ganon II was the fact that he was just a clone of the first Ganon.

Introducing a new Ganondorf could allow for a new personality or set of powers Just as each new incarnation of Zelda and Link offer some unique spin on the character.
      In all fairness I can see the argument to just make him a new villain altogether if they choose to go this route. But it might just be fan service that he is even in this game as there were complaints that the first Botw didn't have a legitimate human Villain and often sourced WW Ganon as the type they wanted to see.

The post was edited 1 time, last by MORPHRELINK ().

• The only way I could see that making sense is if it were like a Piccolo and Kami situation where Ganondorf decided to rid the hatred inside of him which in turn became the calamity and allowed his Gerudo form to be the pure good side of the split. The tapestry could be him battling his own Demonic form. A la Dark Link style.

But even then, I'm not sure I can get behind him being the 10k Hero entirely. The murals seen in the trailer depict Ganondorf in a similar art style as the tapestry but doesn't resemble the 10k Hero at all. One would think the image would carry over if they are indeed the same artist, assuming they are from around the same time period.
    • If this is in the AT, Ganondorf should be stone (or less) at the bottom of the Great Sea.

If this is the CT, Ganondorf I died in Hyrule Field in a completely different outfit, so unless the Royal Family was accomodating enough to put him beneath the rebuilt castle while also swapping out his outfit, it wouldn't make sense. (Heck, even in that scenario their actions would make little sense.) As for Ganondorf II, he was mutated into his beastly form, imprisoned as a beast, and then further locked behind a barrier. He absolutely could hypothetically resume human form and subsequently be interred belowground, but we have exactly zero evidence that he actually could or did.

And in the DT, again, Ganon stopped being human after OoT, with the slight exception of Aghanim. Again, hypothetically could become human again because reasons, but last we saw of him (in TLoZ, as well as in TAoL Game Over screens), he was decidedly not.

So if we're dealing with Ganondorf I here, then they'd need to retcon and retrofit him in. Otherwise, we're dealing with someone or something else.
    • That wouldn't work, since his soul is now Ganondorf II and thus obviously unavailable for resurrection. I mean, I guess you could say that his corpse somehow became a soulless abomination that ended up getting preserved for 10k+ years, but why go for something so convoluted?