Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    So...that was Calamity Ganon, eh?
    • I’ve decided to voice an opinion in the most suitable place, amongst those who love the Zelda games as dearly as I do in the hopes of getting some interesting feedback.

Was anybody else slightly disappointed with Calamity Ganon?

I’m taking in terms of character here, not in terms of difficulty to beat. All the way through botw I was so excited to see how Ganon’s character design had transported into the zelda franchises most recent title, and particularly to see what kind of voice acting would go with it. Having been hugely impressed with other iterations like The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess’s character development, I had high hopes for him in this title.

But it was...odd. (SPOILERS!)

He’s an ethereal, canon-wielding scorpion monster which was a surprise, and i know hes not his human form Ganondorf, but even still I found this disappointing. I’m all for new directions and experiments to the franchise, but because it was just another somewhat generic monster (and after fighting the different blight ganons there was no real deviation I thought) I feel like it wasn’t the dramatic crescendo to the story that I was expecting. He felt a bit of a hollow adversary.

Anybody feel similar about this, or did you really like calamity ganon, and if so why?
    • I think Calamity Ganon is my favorite incarnation of the villain from the entire series, and I think that because we have context on who he is. Ganondorf has been portrayed as sympathetic and unsympathetic, as a human and as a beast--but he always was an individual.

Throughout the series we see him in varying degrees of sanity, with him seeming the most sane and confident in OoT (in my opinion), having never suffered defeat. But as the games go on and he suffers defeat time and time again, Ganondorf lets his rage swallow him. He must become more and more powerful so he can eradicate his enemy, Hylia and her knight.

Calamity Ganon is interesting because he's now been at this for tens of thousands of years. He's not an individual, he's completely consumed by his rage to the point of becoming the physical embodiment of malice. He's not a strong demon, he's the physical embodiment of all the hatred in the world. He's a force of nature, and is presented as such. Where once he wished to rule Hyrule, now he simply wants it to be completely destroyed.

But he has enough sapience left to know that his power is pointless without a vessel. He wants to be resurrected fully, back to his original form. But he's so consumed by malice that it takes him a long time--and when he's attacked by Link, he scrambles to finish his own reconstruction. As a power, a force of nature, he's unstoppable and terrifying. But when he tries to reconnect with his humanity, he's pathetic and disgusting.

If you pay close attention during his fight, he screams in pain and bleeds all over his body. Not misty dark magic, actual blood, all over the place. He has no skin anywhere on his body, he's too big, his eyes don't match, his teeth are disgusting, he's little more than a bleeding skull and beard--to the point that his BRAIN needs a case to be put in.

If you ignore the rest of the series, yeah, Ganon is just a big angry monster. But Calamity Ganon is the way he is because he did it to himself. It's the completion of his character arc, the pinnacle of what we've seen Ganon become throughout the ages, and it's a tragedy.

I honestly don't think that anything new or interesting can fit in Ganon's character arc at this point.
    • I like Calamity Ganon when viewed through the prism of BotW taking place at the end of the DT, as we see Ganon progressively degenerate from a sophisticated and devious plotter into an almost literal animal, and the primal cloud/blob of Malice (congealed within bits of Guardian tech for a bit) is the perfect continuation and full realization of that degeneration. (-ation, -ation, -ation...)

In pretty much any other context, though, yeah, CG is pretty much the most uninspired version of him (and antagonist in the series, really) to date. If we've reached the point now that Ganon is only going to exist as a primal cloud of anger and evil that might glom onto some more interesting things to have a physical fight with, I think we're at as good a point as any to put him out to pasture and try our hand at another villain, at least for a while. Even Mario has been known to fight someone other than Bowser once in a while, and those tend to be his most interesting installments, so why not expand out Hyrule's rogues gallery a bit? (And while we're at it, have said new villains be vulnerable to and taken out by something other than the Master Sword and Light Arrows- nothing wrong with either of these weapons, but we've seen them repeatedly, so why not try something else or at least put a new spin on them?)
    • @Cajbaj Beautifully put. Basically Ganon's story in BotW is the same as Link's and Zelda's, both thematically and in the way it's told. It's a story of loss, though in his case it's self-inflicted, and it's told in a very muted, hands-off way. I think the criticisms of Calamity Ganon are really the same as other criticisms of the game being too barebones with not enough meat to the story, and I get that. But personally I loved that approach and I think that Calamity Ganon is still a terrifying boss, even if it's in kind of a more... existential way, haha. I love that BotW was able to tell the kind of story it did in as few "words" as it used.

But I do also love a more hands on, overtly dramatic villain and I can see why anyone would be disappointed if they were expecting something more like that.
      A dark chase requires a silent hound, and deep roots are not reached by the frost.
    • @Cajbaj , that is a really interesting point of view, and I must admit I hadn’t thought about it this way. Perhaps my expectations were a bit too high and I may have been guilty of zeroing in on what the character should be in my opinion instead of being open-minded to what he actually is.

I still maintain that I’d have liked to see Ganondorf in the game, but that being said, I can see now how Calamity Ganon is more of a ravaged, hell-bent entity formed from repeated failures than instead of a semi-generic villain. The embodiment of a soul whose lost and seeks to destroy everything.

What opinion I’ll stand by though is that the bosses for each of the Devine Beasts got a bit repetitive using different versions of Blight Ganon. I missed the variety that previous Zelda bosses had (and even then I’d only site good ones, Skyward Sword’s bosses were too cute for my liking and something not out of place from a Monsters Inc movie), but that being said, the game is still one of my favourites and is well deserved for all of its accolades.

Thank you for your opinions!
    • I was pretty disappointed with Calamity Ganondorf as well. As has already been pointed out, I think much of that is due to my expectations colouring my perception of the game and Ganon as a villain. I was anticipating a Shadows of Colossus style fight, a villain who would at least speak to Link through some sort of telepathy, kind of like Halos’s gravemind, but without the gameplay interruptions like we saw in Halo 3. That said, having him taunt you at random points 8 5e game may have given him a more meaningful presence in the game, as aside from the Ganon goo everywhere- or Ganon slime- he doesn’t have much presence outside the castle and Cadtletown’s ruins. You can literally run around for hours and hours of gameplay without feeling threatened by this creature, and you can hunt Koroks and just about forget you’ve got to verse him at some stage. Majors, and by extension the moon- had a far more ominous presence in MM, and even Skyward Sword’s Imprisoned seemed more threatening.

I still don’t like Calamity Ganon. The weird mutant cybernetic scorpion look has never horrified me, or impressed me, even in games like Doom that uses that kind of thing a lot. It still seems a far cry from his appearance in any of the other titles, which I think was sort of the point. As for Ganon’s Beast form, it’s almost embarresing to get hit by him- unless you don’t mount your horse quickly at the start. As multiple YouTube users have shown by now, you can escape the battlefield, and despite Zelda’s urgency, Ganon just randomly shooting area same spot over and over. Would letting him summon a undead army or guardians have been too much?
      "This is the tale of an ancient land of lush forests and verdant meadows. A land blessed by the Goddesses where the powers of light and shadow exist in perfect balance. This is the story of the kingdom of Hyrule, of a king who sought to control the power of the gods, and of a boy without a fairy. A boy whose struggle against the shadow became a legend, riding upon the Winds of Time..."

A novelization of The Legend of Zelda- Ocarina of Time (Complete & Revised)

Click here for the audiobook edition.

• Very valid points, and it seems I wasn’t alone in my opinion. I felt like the final fight out in the open would have hugely benefited the drama if it hadn’t been during a sunny day. Even having the downpour of rain and lightning would’ve added to the atmosphere of the final fight.

I totally agree, this version of ganon was a departure from the main series and I was sorry to see it so. But that being said, from what I’ve learned from other Zelda enthusaists, it’s contextual (I guess!) if you think of him in the timeline, how he’s failed, time and time again, I’m sure that would unhinge almost anyone in that situation! Still, give me the measured malice of the bad guy we all know and love any day!

The post was edited 1 time, last by Timothyhoad ().

• From a story standpoint I was disappointed as well....but of course story wasn't what they were going for with BotW. My personal headcanon is that it wasn't really Ganon/Ganondorf at all...that Ganon died a long time ago and all that was left was the curse incarnate. The people didn't remember the curse at all though so it retained the Ganon name.
      My philosophy on the timeline now is the same as Winston Churchill’s:

“It is a mistake to look too far ahead. The chain of destiny can only be grasped one Link at a time.”
    • Ooh very nice idea, hence ‘Calamity Ganon’ and not just Ganon. Like Demise is trying to be reborn again but is failing.

I somewhat agree about the story point of view, there’s something deflating knowing that the battle for Hyrule (which I’m sure most would agree would make for a fantastic game given the cutscenes) happened 100 years ago, and this game is about righting the wrongs of events that’s already happened. However, I’ve completed the main ‘story’, now I’m on a hunt for all the shrines. When I complete that and find all the Koroks, I actually look forward to starting again and meeting all the characters again as I have a better understanding of who they are and how they fit; I feel like the story will come out more in that instance.
    • From a gameplay standpoint, not really. Especially the first battle, with just Calamity Ganon. Is it just me, or did anyone else hate how freeing the Divine Beasts would make the battle easier? When I beat the game, I just felt overprepared, since I had the maxed out Tunic of the Wild, Master Sword, Hylian Shield, Ancient Bow, everything. It just felt underwhelming. I understand Dark Beast Ganon was supposed to be more cinematic, but there's no excuse for Calamity Ganon.

Here's what they should've done; have the battle be HARDER after you beat all four Divine Beasts. I'm not sure how that would work from a lore-standpoint, but it's supposed to challenge you. It's the final battle after all. Make Ganon get new attacks that require either precision or you can use the four Champion Abilities for help or to weaken him. He should have full HP too. After all of that, when Ganon's health is depleted, have Dark Beast Ganon go on as normal.

That's just my take on it.
    • I’ve said in a previous discussion on this topic that they should’ve made the Divine Beasts stun him, allowing you to attack, or something to that effect... or they could’ve made it so you couldn’t reach Ganon until you’d freed all the Divine Beasts, maybe make it so they break the barrier holding him in or something- maybe not the most original idea, and it would mean you didn’t have the freedom to wander into Hyrule Castle until the endgame.

Not sure I quite agree with making Ganon harder after you beat the Divine Beasts. Wouldn’t players just avoid doing them all if that was the case?

Castigear wrote:

That’s a good point about the 100 years bit. it sort of feels like if you were to play only the second half of final fantasy vi.
      Agreed. It’s like most of the game has already taken place, and you lost, when Link wakes up.
      "This is the tale of an ancient land of lush forests and verdant meadows. A land blessed by the Goddesses where the powers of light and shadow exist in perfect balance. This is the story of the kingdom of Hyrule, of a king who sought to control the power of the gods, and of a boy without a fairy. A boy whose struggle against the shadow became a legend, riding upon the Winds of Time..."

A novelization of The Legend of Zelda- Ocarina of Time (Complete & Revised)

Click here for the audiobook edition.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Thal1989 ().

• Obviously there's a lot by way of his boss fight that could have been improved. But I personally never use Champion powers except Revali's Gale, so I found him to be quite challenging. Without Urbosa's Fury to break the shield and net you free hits, you actually have to try. I feel that the best course of action would have been to make the Champions' powers a one-and-done deal during the fight, as I believe their regeneration rate is boosted during the fight.

As for difficulty, the difficulty of the fight as you clear each divine beast lowers so drastically as to be ridiculous. With no beasts you must defeat 4 bosses and Ganon at full strength and invincible for half the fight, whereas with all of them you fight only Ganon at half strength and weakness to magic. Perhaps make his health increase rather than decrease to balance the lack of Blight phases.

And of course Dark Beast Ganon could have been improved as well, maybe with climbing on his body or a flying phase like with Naydra--preferably both. Climbing and gliding are the game's main mechanics and they aren't used at all.
    • Cajbaj wrote:

As for difficulty, the difficulty of the fight as you clear each divine beast lowers so drastically as to be ridiculous. With no beasts you must defeat 4 bosses and Ganon at full strength and invincible for half the fight, whereas with all of them you fight only Ganon at half strength and weakness to magic. Perhaps make his health increase rather than decrease to balance the lack of Blight phases.

I get the logic behind this, especially for challenge seekers, but this doesn't seem like a very good approach- it effectively incentivizes speedrunning and punishes one for actually playing the game and seeing all of the content while removing basically any impetus except "because it's there, so why not?" to do the rest of the dungeons. Yes, ideal for those who actively want the game to get harder as they go, but anyone who isn't actively craving such a thing is getting a raw deal.

It'd be far better to just make a difficult, multifaceted fight from the get-go, have the dungeons give you what you'll ultimately need to fight and get to it, and thus have the game feel like a journey and deliver a satisfying payoff. Y'know, the approach that the rest of the series basically had down to a science. Making the boss accessible from basically frame one just for the sake of doing so and then making the rest of the game seem like a foolish prospect in comparison just seems utterly backward.

But, this is coming from someone whose opinion on BotW has long since soured so much it can probably eat through lead by now and who finds more joy in story than combat, so what do I know.
    • I just felt that the boss's difficulty should be fairly constant regardless of game progress because the rewards you're getting make you so much stronger. 4 heart containers, strong weapons, powerful magical abilities, and combat practice throughout your journey. Because all that plus a boss that's about 1/4th (no blights plus half go and halved difficult phase 2) as long as the "speedrun" variant is kind of ridiculous. If the boss being too easy is a common complaint, don't encourage people to skip content their first time through for a reasonable challenge, fix the boss's difficulty.
    • Calamity Ganon was a chump.

He clean sweeps all of Hyrule's knights, the 4 Guardian Beasts, hundreds of Guardian sentries, the 4 Champions, Link (the Hero) and the Princess of Destiny, 100 years prior to the start of BOTW. 100 later, he get's punked by the same hero, 4 champions and 4 guardian beasts and princess he already defeated. What changed? Guess the good guys were just set up to lose 100 years ago.

Outside of the fight, Calamity Ganon doesn't really do anything. He won 100 years ago and is basically minding his own business in Hyrule Castle when Link shows up to overthrow him.

Link and Ganon were definitely not serviced well in BOTW. Both are ciphers and opaque when it comes to character and motives.