The game is too confusing (1) 7%
        The music is good. (1) 7%
        Yes but it is too easy. (0) 0%
        I find it too linear (0) 0%
        The grahpics are appalling (0) 0%
        The game is too short (0) 0%
        The game's atmosphere is too dark (0) 0%
        The music is terrible (0) 0%
      Right, The original METROID for NES. Released in 1986, the game became a success. It was like nothing ever seen before. No longer were people confined to level based shooters, or left to right platformers. The player was let loose, and world, were you can go almost anywhere you want, whenever. It became so iconic, and was so unique, that there was no way of even classifing it. Many called it an 'Action shooter' or a 'Puzzle adventure' but none could really describe it's gameplay. Untill, the term, 'Metroid-vannia.' It changed everything. A whole new way of thinking, a new plan, and new mould, the new element. It changed gaming forever, and although 2D adventures like METROID are still popular today, it is ultimately this game that created open world games like Skyrim, BoTW and Red Dead Redemption.

But what do you think of the game, now 32 years on? Although it changed gaming forever, what about playing it now? Will we be horrified by what crude displays we could create back then? Or would we marvel at the genius of creating such a game with so limited technology?

I'm playing the game on the NES Switch library, and am pleased by the better graphics. I'm currently delving into Norfair, after being thoughoroly abused by the area before. With Ice beams, long beam, 2 energy tanks, bombs, 20 missiles and the high boots and 4 hours into the stuff, I'm on my way to Ridley and Kraid, and cannot wait to see the rest of the game.

What about you?

Please ask if you have a different option, I'll add it in.
      "I was defeated by the mere sight of the innkeepers skirt length!"
      -Qrow Branwen

"I know this might be hard to believe, General, but uh... I'm not the biggest fan of local law enforcement."
      -Roman Torchwick
    • Metroid for the NES has aged like milk. It was revolutionary, no doubt about it, and at the time it was probably brilliant. But it just lacks a lot of basic modern features that it's pretty much unplayable for me today.

You're better off just playing its remake, Zero Mission. It's phenomenal and a prime example of how to do a remake right.
    • I've heard that Zero Mission was a little too linear. I have, however heard that Super Metroid and Fusion are the way to go. I very much intend to get into the series more.
      -Qrow Branwen

"I know this might be hard to believe, General, but uh... I'm not the biggest fan of local law enforcement."
      -Roman Torchwick
    • I have to agree with Silver in regards to the original Metroid. No map, starting at 30 energy every time you die forcing you to farm to have full health and a bunch of other things just make the original Metroid a chore to play. Zero Mission is a much better experience in every way. I beat the original once and never intend on doing it again.

I haven't played Zero Mission in a while, but I don't remember it being linear. In fact there are secret routes that let you do things out of order.

If you want to get into the series I'd recommend either Super Metroid or Metroid Prime. Zero Mission is good too, but I think Super or Prime would be a better place to start as they are considered some of the best in the series. My favorite Metroid game is Metroid Prime 2, but I wouldn't recommend starting with that since it's a sequel to Prime 1 and does reference things that happened in that game. It's also more difficult and would be better if you had some experience from the first prime.

Tru Universe|Cat Midna Avatar and Signature by The Twilight Princess. Check out her art thread here!

The post was edited 1 time, last by TruEdge67 ().

• TruEdge67 wrote:

I have to agree with Silver in regards to the original Metroid. No map, starting at 30 energy every time you die forcing you to farm to have full health and a bunch of other things just make the original Metroid a chore to play. Zero Mission is a much better experience in every way. I beat the original once and never intend on doing it again.

I haven't played Zero Mission in a while, but I don't remember it being linear. In fact there are secret routes that let you do things out of order.

If you want to get into the series I'd recommend either Super Metroid or Metroid Prime. Zero Mission is good too, but I think Super or Prime would be a better place to start as they are considered some of the best in the series. My favorite Metroid game is Metroid Prime 2, but I wouldn't recommend starting with that since it's a sequel to Prime 1 and does reference things that happened in that game. It's also more difficult and would be better if you had some experience from the first prime.
      First Metroid game I played was Prime 3......never finished it........eh.

No, I think that having 30 health every time, forces you to improvise "Hmm, should I go that way? No, I'll go this other way that I haven't tried. That's how people would discover things (1 way).
      -Qrow Branwen

-Roman Torchwick
    • My first Metroid game was Super Metroid.

I don't like starting with 30 health because it forces me to grind for health which sucks. Last thing I want to do is make a decent amount of progress only to die due to low health so I farm it from enemies which takes forever.

Tru Universe|Cat Midna Avatar and Signature by The Twilight Princess. Check out her art thread here!
    • Of all NES games that kickstarted popular franchises, METROID is probably the one that aged the worst.

Whenever I become a fan of a classic series with a new game, I usually go back to play older installments to see where it all started. Metroid is one of the few cases where I just couldn't bring myself to finish it. The map is large, but 90% of rooms look identical. It's ridiculously hard to know where to go next once you earn a new power-up. You pretty much have to grind for health every time you die (a grind that basically lasts longer the more progress you've made into the game), and gameplay just generally feels slow and sluggish, not very fun to play.

Ironically, I find Kid Icarus to be a lot more enjoyable today than the original Metroid, despite the fact that they were both made by the same team with the same engine. I've always wondered what a "Super Kid Icarus" would've been like.
    • Can't really vote here because none of these options apply to me.

I would say its a good game, just not one I'm interested in. I didn't even know it existed until the late 90s somewhere and I personally have never played it. Never been into shooting games, and when I look back at the side scrollers I honestly don't see the appeal. The first time I saw Metroid in action was when my little brother was playing it sometime around 2007/2008, it was a Prime game iirc. My brother was hyped about it but that wasn't enough to interest me and seeing the game play out I wasn't really very interested at all.

And to be clear, since the gaming community can tend to be infested with SJWs, it is not because the main protagonist is female. As a matter of fact, until my brother started telling me all about the game +/-10 yrs ago, I assumed Samus was a robot of some kind. I just don't like those types of games. Then again I've never been much of a gamer in general outside the Zelda series, especially the older I get.
    • I thought the vote was for Prime. My bad.

"The warning come after the spell"-- Doctor Strange

So, I think of it as retro, so I kind of enjoy it, but it gets really tough fast. As for aging, I never understand how that is judged. I have never been able to play it at length, but I hope to do so on the Switch.

It was actually the first Metroid game I ever played, on an emulator my dad put on my Mp3 music and take player. I mostly played Kirby, as it was the only one that saved.
      I took up Metroid again when Samus Returns came out, and I really liked it! I finally 100% it a month or two ago. Then I bought the Prime trilogy and now I'm stuck. I have wanted to buy Zero Missions but I can't find it.

So, none of these options really work for me, I figure it's a classic. Zelda I find only a bit easier.

80s game players were good.

Btw, I voted "yes but I find it too challenging."
      BWAYHA! Don't take me seriously all the time. :derp:

My characters: Orthane Raker

<-------This spot is dedicated to Sydney, who brought me, Epic, and B-rod together. Epic then brought me and B-rod to all of you.-------->
    • True. But, what things did Metroid do, that no games today have ever/very, very rarely done? Even it's sequels? I think can think of the map. Without it, it makes you create your own exploration options when you get lost. Not only that, but it adds immersion in it, you make your own mental map.
      -Qrow Branwen

-Roman Torchwick
    • Bit of a weird poll, so I went with the music being good haha.

I played Metroid NES for the first time this year (after having played Super Metroid). I had fun, it's a good game. As mentioned, it does have a few big flaws, the biggest being the maps looking the same (or literally being the same) which gets very confusing and annoying. Also having to randomly bomb everything, even to actually progress (not just bonus secrets). And some enemies are super annoying due to bad design/placement.

Still, people give it a bit too much shit imo. I had fun exploring and drawing a map during my playthrough. Underneath its archaic design still lies a proper Metroid adventure. I had about the same amount of fun with it as with Samus Returns.
    • Coming from that: My only real issue with this game is random boming. Unless you are constantly boming the floor or shooting the ceiling, you'll never find things. The only way I found the Varia suit was from a review of the game's structure. Then I wen't and got it. That is my only problem.
      -Qrow Branwen

-Roman Torchwick