Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    • Serious
    Skyward Sword HD on Switch absolutely will NOT work! (Here's Why)
    • I know this topic has been brought up time and time again. Mostly by me. But hear me out. I've been wondering about Skyward Sword HD and whether or not it will work on Switch. I was even on and off a lot. Even got into some arguments over it. But now, with the release of Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu & Eevee and it's bad pointer motion controls, I am absolutely sure and positive that regardless as to whether or not SS HD does come to Switch, it absolutely most definitely will not work and it will fail yet again (only much harder than before) if it does happen!

This actually something I suspected many months ago and I even argued with someone about this. I even tried to warn him the controls would actually be much worse, and he didn't listen. And even when I was all for SS HD as of recent time, I feared of chances that the controls would be worse. But really the only reason I came to be for the idea was since because we didn't have any real Zelda news in such a long time. And I've anxious for something Zelda since this year's E3 was yet another train wreck like last year's.

We really need something Zelda soon. So that's the only reason why SS HD has to been up there in those options as of late. But the problem is, if it did happen, the HD version would be even worse than the original because without a sensor bar, pointer motion controls are terrible! And Pokemon Let's Go is now proof of that! A lot of people hate the pointer motion controls in the game. Now just imagine a whole game based around those horrible controls with literally mostly everything you do! Exactly! That'd be Skyward Sword HD on Switch in a nutshell! Something I've tried to tell people in the past. But they didn't listen.

That's why I find it more likely that if anything, we might actually get a different Zelda game remade/remastered next, before SSHD (if at all). That said, I feel like at least one of the DS Zelda might be remade or remastered first. Here's why.

For one, Spirit Tracks has been trademarked for something smartphone related. So we might see a ST remake on Smartphone in the near future. Second, as I've been told recently, it's still too early for a SS HD remaster by the ten year logic. So here's my prediction:
      • We get a FSA remake on 3DS or Switch in early 2019 announced in January 2019's direct.
      • New 2D Zelda is announced for Holiday release in Spring 2019 direct. Along with Spirit Tracks for Smartphones announced for a summer time release.
      • More information on New 2D Zelda at E3 2019. As well as new tease at the new 3D Zelda set for a tentative 2020 release date.
      • New 3D Zelda shown off at E3 2020. Game delayed to 2021.
      • New 3D Zelda released in Spring 2021. DLC announced at E3 2021.
      • Skyward Sword HD doesn't come until the Switch's successor. But only depending on what it is.
      So personally, I don't really see SS HD happening at all at this point. Especially after the Pokemon Let's Go complaint over the bad pointer based motion controls. And people would still think that SS HD is possible after that? Yeah, I don't think so.

Anyways, that's why at this point I know for fact that Skyward Sword HD just would not work on Switch or at all period.
      The True Zelda Timeline:
      ----------------/>WW|PH>ST
      SS>MC>FS>OoT|MM>TP>FSA>HW(original)>BotW(2014 version)
      ----------------\>ALttP|OoX|LA(original)>ALBW>TFH>TLoZ|TAoL
    • A 1:1 remaster with entirely identical mechanics wouldn't work on Switch, no.

But I strongly doubt they would make such a thing when the original was so tailored to the hardware.

SS on Switch can work. It would require several changes, though. Changes that people would likely enjoy since most of them would involve reducing the focus on motion controls or having alternate schemes. Don't speak in such absolutes.

The question is whether Nintendo would go ahead with that, but that goes beyond the scope of this discussion.
    • FroyoDragon wrote:

A 1:1 remaster with entirely identical mechanics wouldn't work on Switch, no.
      Agreed.

FroyoDragon wrote:

But I strongly doubt they would make such a thing when the original was so tailored to the hardware.
      Kind of agree. It's more that Nintendo just doesn't want another disaster like the original. Especially not a much worse one they might have if they made a Switch version. I do agree that the game was so tailored to the hardware of the Wii and Wii U, but only because of that the game was made with a sort of sensor bar in mind as so were pointer based motion controls to begin with. Hence why Pokemon Let's Go's motion controls have doomed the games to potentially meet a similar terrible fate as SS if such negative feedback on said controls continues, which is unfortunately very much likely.

FroyoDragon wrote:

SS on Switch can work. It would require several changes, though. Changes that people would likely enjoy since most of them would involve reducing the focus on motion controls or having alternate schemes. Don't speak in such absolutes.
      The problem here is that SS, like I said, was made entirely with the Wii hardware and motion plus in mind. They'd have to recreate the whole game from scratch. That said, it'd make more sense to make sequel or prequel instead. Which is unlikely now, especially for a 3D Zelda, since as of BotW. Nintendo wants 3D Zelda games to focus on the BotW era now. Also, not to mention that motion controls returning in Zelda would be a bad idea, especially for Switch.

FroyoDragon wrote:

The question is whether Nintendo would go ahead with that, but that goes beyond the scope of this discussion.
      The answer to that question would be no, especially now with the negative feedback on Pokemon Let's Go's motion controls. Assuming we're still talking about SS HD here.
      The True Zelda Timeline:
      ----------------/>WW|PH>ST
      SS>MC>FS>OoT|MM>TP>FSA>HW(original)>BotW(2014 version)
      ----------------\>ALttP|OoX|LA(original)>ALBW>TFH>TLoZ|TAoL
    • PJC wrote:

But the problem is, if it did happen, the HD version would be even worse than the original because without a sensor bar, pointer motion controls are terrible!
      Skyward Sword didn't use the sensor bar. It used WM+ for all its motion controls, including its pointer, which is why it needed frequent recalibration. There's a clear difference between the pointer's behaviour in the Wii Menu and SS that's the result of switching from an IR sensor to gyro controls.
    • Makuta Teridax wrote:

Skyward Sword deserves a Switch remaster. That game is criminally underrated and it didn't deserve the hate it got.
      The CDI Zelda games (minus Zelda's Adventure, screw that one) deserve remakes. Those games are criminally underrated and they didn't deserve the hate they got.

And I'm not being sarcastic.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Maku Scrub ().

Post by Makuta Teridax ().

This post was deleted by the author themselves ().