Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    How should the Democrat House Majority navigate the next 2 years?
    • Newsflash: Democrats now take control of the House of Reps for the first time since 2011.

What should their strategy be to make the USA/world as stable as possible and to make gains in 2020?

First thing first, I believe Nancy Pelosi should be Speaker of House. By reasoning is the following:

I believe she has experience and keeping her caucus together unlike Paul Ryan and she was very effective at getting legislation passed (ACA, ARA, etc). While she is by far the most progressive congresswoman, nothing progressive like the carbon tax, MFA, will get passed in the senate anyhow. I think it should be left up to the DNC and 2020 candidates to put forth progressive policies on their platform to create a strong grassroots movement. Even if the party wanted to put forth a more progressive candidate for the Speaker of House, who would it be? I'm not aware of any progressive congressman/woman who has committee experience which is crucial to ensure bills are managed appropriately. A speaker without experience will make mistakes and the GOP will exploit those mistakes to no end. Lastly, since the Speaker of House is such a thankless position that turns politicians into unpopular figures who take heat from both sides, I think Pelosi is the best candidate for this position since she is already unpopular.

As for legislation, I believe the House should put forth bills that illustrates how the GOP is on the wrong side of history. Democrats were very successful in these past elections since they campaigned hard on healthcare.

The House needs to push forward a healthcare bill that protects those with preexisting conditions at least and force the GOP to vote on it.

They also need to put forth bills at a minimum that increase minimum wage, LGBT protection, environmental regulations, etc. These will make good talking points for 2020.

Lastly, they need to investigate Trump for all the atrocious things they have done without coming off as "witch-hunts" to fuel the GOP base. They need to subpoena his taxes and support Mueller.

What do you think?
    • Nancy Pelosi should not be Speaker of the House, there are far better experienced candidates to choose from and in my opinion it should be Maxine Waters. She's not the most progressive representative (leagues better than Pelosi and most Democrats though) but if you want someone who is experienced and a fighter then she's the one best suited for the job.

The most important thing the Democrats can do is to offer a party platform of single payer health care, free college/debt forgiveness, a living wage, etc - being the party against Trump and pursuing bipartisanship for the sake of bipartisanship isn't enough.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Viajero de la Galaxia ().

• while I agree Mueller is important for transparency and the truth, those that are looking for impeachment are in for a rude awakening. Even if there was a video of him shooting someone in Times Square I’m not sure he would get the 2/3 vote in the senate necessary to be removed from office.

The best approach imo is to yes continue to investigate, but focus on neutering him and doing their best to mitigate any more damage he may cause to the country through new legislation.

It’s a careful balance: continuing to uncover things trump is clearly hiding like his taxes, while also making it clear that their focus is on the issues and running the country morally and properly (in contrast to the executive branch and the senate).
      My philosophy on the timeline now is the same as Winston Churchill’s:

“It is a mistake to look too far ahead. The chain of destiny can only be grasped one Link at a time.”
    • Bowsette wrote:

Nancy Pelosi should not be Speaker of the House, there are far better experienced candidates to choose from and in my opinion it should be Maxine Waters. She's not the most progressive representative (leagues better than Pelosi and most Democrats though) but if you want someone who is experienced and a fighter then she's the one best suited for the job.

The most important thing the Democrats can do is to offer a party platform of single payer health care, free college/debt forgiveness, a living wage, etc - being the party against Trump and pursuing bipartisanship for the sake of bipartisanship isn't enough.
      The concern with Waters is she has never chaired a committee. Being elevated to such a high position not only has a steep learning curve but could also become detrimental.

I get people don’t think she’s progressive enough but she is probably one of the most successful speaker of houses in this generation. Just to name a couple of accomplishments, she got ACA (with the public option) and the DREAM Act through the house.

Schumer is a different story though...

The post was edited 3 times, last by HeroOfTime5 ().

• The next 2 years in the House for the Democrats should be about making the progressive case going into the 2020 election.

We already know that nothing progressive that the Democrats pass in the House will pass the Senate, we're not stupid. But the next 2 years should be about getting the Republicans on record as being against certain policies and the Democrats for certain policies. (just as the Republicans did when they had the House and the Democrats had the Senate a few years back.)

- Pass medicare for all, tuition free university, gun regulations, environmental regulations, a carbon tax, increases to corporate taxes and taxes on the rich, expanding social security, immigration reform and campaign finance reform among other issues. Make the republicans vote against these measures so its clear to voters that Democrats are for these policies and Republicans are against them. Because right now it isn't at all clear.

- Use the subpoena power of the house to gather information on the 2016 campaign and conduct investigations.

- Block everything that the Republicans propose.

Nancy Pelosi is too weak a leader to achieve these goals so she should not be the speaker of the house.
    • If we're playing fantasy Capitol, my ideal Speaker would be someone like Barbara Lee. But realistically speaking, no one from the left wing of the party *who is in congress* is challenging Pelosi. The people who are challenging her are conservative white men who want to steal her position. And frankly, fuck them. Pelosi has a track record as a proven parliamentarian, perhaps one of the most effective in a generation or more. I don't align in politics with her but no one is going to be legislating in this upcoming session of Congress anyways so that really doesn't matter.

I will say that I think Pelosi should be looking to groom successors, particularly among the younger women and POC, with the intentions of bringing them into party leadership going into 2020.

“Gandalf put his hand on Pippin's head. "There never was much hope," he answered. "Just a fool's hope, as I have been told.”
      ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King

• Well said @Avalanchemike

I don’t agree with all her positions yet she has proven to be quite effective.

One of the other contenders is Tim Ryan who “use” to be pro-life and doesn’t have a good record with protecting women rights. No thanks.

Schumer on the other hand is not only useless at times but quite detrimental:

m.ctpost.com/technology/busine…n-Facebook-s-13393564.php

The reason Schumer got the minority leader position over Durbin was due to his close ties with Wall Street. He’s a carbon copy corporate democrat.

The post was edited 1 time, last by HeroOfTime5 ().