Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    Official: Nintendo is considering more updates for BotW
    • President of Nintendo wrote:

“Titles like The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, and Super Mario Odyssey are what we call ‘hardware drivers’ in that consumers are very often interested in buying these titles when making a new hardware purchase. Titles released already in the previous fiscal years remain capable of driving hardware sales. The key is to figure out what makes these titles appealing, and how we can get consumers to understand that appeal. Going forward, we plan to incorporate add-on content and other factors that will keep these titles in the spotlight, so they will continue to sell alongside the hardware.We take the value of software very seriously. What we want with our evergreen titles is to maintain their values as long as possible without lowering the prices.”
      nintendoeverything.com/nintend…tlight-with-dlc-and-more/

So they're 'planning' it, which doesn't necessarily mean it's really coming.

To me, that's great news. I love BotW and I want to keep coming back to it, but I've run out of things to do. DLC sounds great.

Edit: I changed the thread title from "planning more DLC" to "considering more updates".
      100% | Finished | Now playing:
      TLoZ | 2nd Q | TAoL | ALttP | LA | LA DX | OoT | OoT MQ | MM | OoA | OoS | ALttP (GBA) | FS | TWW | FSA | TMC | TP | LCT | PH | ST | OoT 3D | FS AE | SS | ALBW | MM 3D | TFH | TP HD | BotW

The post was edited 1 time, last by Canyarion ().

• Lol, this is exactly what I didn't want; distractions for Aonuma and his team, when he should focus his all on his next big Zelda project. And it doesn't make things better that I was very disappointed in the DLC for BotW, and there are no reasons to believe that the eventual future DLC-releases will be any better.

I don't want more shrines
      I don't want a sixth divine beast
      I don't want new weapons or clothes for Link
      I don't want a new difficulty setting
      I don't want "new challenges"

If they expand the map, gives me new unique enemies which aren't skins, actual themed dungeons, etc... then we can talk. But at the same time they really should save this for the next damn title.

No, I am not a fan of this.

The post was edited 1 time, last by MVS ().

• @MVS I agree with you for 80%. I don't want the next Zelda to be delayed because they made so much DLC for BotW. I don't want any of the stuff that they did for DLC pack 1 and 2.

But 20% of me is hoping:
      • A new game only needs a small team to work on the outlines, concept art and gameplay ideas. Most of the people who worked on BotW won't be needed for the next game yet, so they can work on DLC.
      • There is so much more they could do for BotW that the first packs didn't do.

A few things I'd like to see for BotW:
      • New areas
      • A new old-school dungeon that has nothing to do with Sheikah tech
      • A new sheikah slate feature
      • Flying (maybe an upgrade to the glider)
      • New interactivity options like petting/training dogs and riding moose/ostriches/rhinos
      • Building a new house, wherever you want, however you want
      • Post-end-credits gameplay, although that's very unlikely
      TLoZ | 2nd Q | TAoL | ALttP | LA | LA DX | OoT | OoT MQ | MM | OoA | OoS | ALttP (GBA) | FS | TWW | FSA | TMC | TP | LCT | PH | ST | OoT 3D | FS AE | SS | ALBW | MM 3D | TFH | TP HD | BotW
    • Considering how underwhelming the Champion's Ballad DLC was, I can completely imagine this potential new DLC to be more shrines and yet another Divine Beast. If it isn't, I hope it contains a new dungeon more similar to Hyrule Castle, with interesting weapons, armor and lore to be discovered.

A quest to rebuild the Castle Town would be a wish come true, but that would require the DLC to be post-Ganon, which doesn't seem likely. A new, larger house with more weapon displays would be nice, and Castle Town could have been an ideal place for that. Though I guess they could do it the "Skyrim way" and give us a few select locations around the map where you can build a new house or three.
    • Sindre wrote:

Considering how underwhelming the Champion's Ballad DLC was, I can completely imagine this potential new DLC to be more shrines and yet another Divine Beast. If it isn't, I hope it contains a new dungeon more similar to Hyrule Castle, with interesting weapons, armor and lore to be discovered.

A quest to rebuild the Castle Town would be a wish come true, but that would require the DLC to be post-Ganon, which doesn't seem likely. A new, larger house with more weapon displays would be nice, and Castle Town could have been an ideal place for that. Though I guess they could do it the "Skyrim way" and give us a few select locations around the map where you can build a new house or three.

Instead of that you could potential make the town you help build with the differen races a bit more...interactive. Instead of rebuilding Castle Town a DLC making that town into something huge and reflective of what Castle Town might've been would be something I'd be interested in seeing.
    • Hm, that made me think.

I remember when I first visited the Akkala region, I somehow thought there was a decent-sized town at the foot of the Akkala Citadel Ruins. It would have been interesting if Tarrey Town was expanded down there. It could have worked without being post-Ganon, too.

However, doesn't Tarrey Town require its inhabitants' names to end with "son"? If so, I can't imagine it expanding any further than it already does in the main game.

Anyway, I do hope we get more building side quests similar to the Tarrey Town one. More villages and towns would not hurt at all, especially if it includes a new house for Link. There are several ruined villages around, so restoring at least one of them would be nice.
    • Be aware that Nintendo's definition of "DLC" is incredibly broad---see the fine print on ads for updates to games like Splatoon 2; it includes free updates that add small, cross-promotional items like the Poltergust 5000 as weapons---which would be kind of awesome lol.

This also sounds like a vaguely hopeful statement from Furukawa-san, at least the way I'm reading it. I doubt he's consulted with Aonuma-san, who is ultimately in charge of planning new content for a Zelda game, and he already confirmed last year that they would not be producing any more DLC for BotW.

If anything, I think we can expect cross-promotional/anniversary novelty items coming in free updates. Which is a little disappointing, but at the same time I'm okay with it. The Master Trials added all sorts of little things that added up to some great additions, and The Champion's Ballad exceeded my every expectation in delivering one of the finest game expansions I've ever played. The base game is outrageously massive, and those two DLC packs alone added tons of new content. I think I'm okay with them stopping there.
    • Building a new town would be a nice sidequest, although I wonder if it's really what Zelda is about. I played the demo of Dragon Quest Builders. What made that fun is how much detail you can put into it. You're free to build whatever you want.
      If it's just another fetch quest like most of Tarry Town was, then I don't know if it will be very satisfying. (Especially when we'll already have most of the materials after playing the game for hundreds of hours.)
    • I'm not sure I buy that adding DLC to a game will convince people to buy a Switch if the game itself doesn't.
      O Gods dethroned and deceased, cast forth, wiped out in a day
      From your wrath is the world released, redeemed from your chains, men say.
      New Gods are crowned in the city; their flowers have broken your rods;
      They are merciful, clothed with pity, the young compassionate Gods.
      But for me their new device is barren, the days are bare;
      Things long past over suffice, and men forgotten that were.

Algernon Charles Swinburne, "Hymn to Proserpine"
    • On second thought, perhaps we shouldn't read into his words too much. It would also be nice if someone checks the translation from Japanese to English.

Perhaps he only means SMO, which is still getting regular updates (even though it's just a small secret). And MK8DX had BotW Link added earlier this year.
    • If they haven't directly stated they are making new DLC for BotW, I'm not getting my hopes up.

It would be one thing if DLC was just console language for "expansion", which for PC games genuinely means a whole new experience and driving the game forward. Look at World of Warcraft - it will be celebrating its 14th anniversary in a few weeks. 14 years! How many other games have lasted so long?!

BotW is an amazing scaffolding, and I totally think its world could be expanded upon greatly if Nintendo has the figurative balls to make its own version of The Burning Crusade (WoW's first expansion). It's not like they haven't done similar things before. One could argue that Majora's Mask was "DLC" for OoT before DLC existed.

What they don't need to do is spend another 4-6 years making the next Zelda game. Not when the one they have has so much room for expansion.

BotW Zelda in her purple Hylian Tunic, by my husband, DarkSilver.

"Breath of the Wild: "Zelda's Redemption" Chapter 3 now up!

After Calamity Ganon's defeat, a devastated Zelda must come to terms with her ruined kingdom, dead friends, and the resentment of the Hero who had saved her, but lost his fiancee. When all hope seems lost, she comes across a legend of a holy relic that can set things right, if she can find the ancient keys to access it. With the help of new friends, and without Link, can Zelda finally become a legend, on her own terms?

The post was edited 2 times, last by Violetlight ().

• Violetlight wrote:

What they don't need to do is spend another 4-6 years making the next Zelda game. Not when the one they have has so much room for expansion.
      Oboy, can't express with words how much I disagree with this. It is so much more than filling the world or even expanding it. I want something different next. That is the main reason I want a new title instead of (an) expansion(s), and let's be honest if we look back at the previous DLC for BotW... that will never happen.

For the next title I want a new setting (not a ruined Hyrule), I want a new villain, new gameplay (not necessarily very different from BotW's), new story, a new artstyle (and yes that is important to me for variation's sake), new pretty much everything.

It would be terrible if Nintendo would get stuck with BotW and just milking it forever.

Considering that the Zelda team now has experience with the "open air"-design after BotW, and that they have the BotW's physics engine... it would be ridiculous if it would take them 6 years to make the next title. But I would rather wait 4 years for something new and special, than them giving us tiny bits of (shameless) DLC every 6 months, which most likely would just be more of the same.

The post was edited 2 times, last by MVS ().

• I get how what he said could be understood as new DLC, but I think a bit is lost in translation, the main message of that quote is that they want these games to continue to sell alongside the Switch and want them to still be seen as the must haves for people who buy the Switch in 2 years. They want these titles to continue to sell at the original MSRP years down the line by adding "add on content and other factors", which could mean DLC, but also extras included in the package like these, which included guides. This may be the new standard for big Nintendo releases and could possibly be what he's referring to, it could also refer to new amiibo functionality or indeed DLC. Its really hard to tell due to the lack of specificity and this being a translation.

• Kokopelli wrote:

If there was any major new DLC, I'd want it to be a shrine creator. Though a lot of people take issue with the reused aesthetics and objects of shrines, the shrine structure would lend itself really well to a level creation tool.
      The stupid thing is, that is would have been so easy for Nintendo to solve that problem. How stupid it may sound, just changing the colors in a shrine would have been refreshing, and even better... another song or at the very least another version of the regular theme. They could have done so little and it would have felt a lot different. Nintendo is known for putting in a lot of music in their games, so this really perplexes me when they had 100+ "mini-dungeons".

I would not be against it if your idea came true, even though I strongly doubt it since it sound way more complicated than how it works with 2D-Mario (Super Mario Maker). But I can imagine that it would be really popular among fans and could pull a lot of people back into the game. As long as whatever Nintendo may want to do with BotW in the future doesn't take too long and doesn't steal a lot of time from the Zelda team, then it is fine by me I guess. I personally just want them to move on.

The post was edited 1 time, last by MVS ().