Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    • Fun
    Hygiene Routines
    • Okay, so this might be a bit of strange topic. But the truth is, I'm nosy. Deal with it. Well, what sort of hygiene routines do you have?

For myself, everyday after work I have a shower. And then every night before bed I brush my teeth (electric toothbrush), floss (water flosser), and use mouthwash. I also brush my teeth and use mouthwash in the morning. I'm actually a little bit anal about my dental hygiene. I didn't get to go to the dentist (save for a few times) as a kid. And I never really had dental benefits as an adult. When I finally had dental benefits, I had a lot of work done on my teeth in a two year period. I don't have benefits at my current job and I still have work to be done (which I pay for out of pocket). So far, I've spent a ton of money on dental work and there's a lot more to be spent. I refuse to let that amount of work, time, and money go to waste, so I make it a point to take good care of my teeth.

What sort of hygiene routines are you currently working on?

I'm desperately trying to at least wipe my face with a wet, warm cloth every morning and every night before bed. Washing my face is still a bit of a chore for me at the moment (I've only just comfortable in my dental routine, so I need to take any other routines in baby steps). But rinsing my face at least feels nice and is a step in the right direction.

What hygiene routines do you wish you had or came easily to you?

I'd really like to have a better facial routine, it would help with a lot of my confidence issues (at least I can smile, now that my teeth are fixed!)

Any advice or recommendations about hygiene routines or the products you swear by?

As much as I try to answer my own questions, I've got nothing for this one! I guess I'd say just take things slow and try to do things every day for the first while (lest you lose the motivation to continue!).
    • Oh man. Alright then... *rolls up sleeves* I'm a bit of a freak with this stuff, lol. Be warned.

For a start, dental care. Brushing the teeth, tongue, and flossing everyday is a 100% thing. Gotta be done! I also use mouthwash maybe sometime through-out to keep my gums all good. Mouthwash doesn't clean your teeth but it's good for your gums. Most people don't brush their tongue! That's where the smelly stuff stays. People can have white teeth but bad breath. So I have an electric toothbrush for the teeth and a manual for the tongue.

For my shower routine! When I'm not washing my hair, I keep it tied up and pinned to keep it dry. If it gets wet I have to wash it and since that takes like, 6+ hours I wanna avoid that. Scrub a dub dub while the water's hot using a soft sponge and natural shower cream, then turn water down to cold and rinse off. A cold rinse is good for your skin and if you get out the shower all boiling hot from hot water, guess what, you sweat!!! All that hard work gone, and the hot water vapor in your bathroom is not very good for your skin and especially hair. So then I get out and wash my face at the sink with cold water. Then any moisturizer first and then additive oils to give your skin back the natural oils that you washed off. Then usually some lotion on the ol' bod and legs, been using Garnier sun-kissed tanning moisturizer that I love now and don't know where I'd be without! Massage the skin, don't scrub/rub it! Then anything else that needs doing.

Now, my hair! It usually takes me about 6 or 7 hours to do, I make a night of doing my hair and do it once or twice a week usually. I brush it first, then use the shower head to rinse it with cold water. Then tip of my head and use extraordinary oil first. Is a god-send for anyone with long hair, helps protec. Comb it into the hair and head and let it sit there for a bit. Then shampoo, trying to not make it not touch my head as much as possible and keep it on the hair. Rinse that off and give it a comb. Then conditioner, again staying away from the head, leave my head tilted for about 3 minutes after applying, and then rinse it out too. Another comb! And then the long part is brushing it while wet and leaving it to pretty much dry naturally. No heat! If I need to blow-dry my hair, or straighten or use curlers, I'd use anti-heat cream first after conditioner and then once it's dry use a heat-resistant spray. But anyway once it's dry-ish I use an oil mask and comb that into my hair. Another thing anyone with long hair should get! After that it's usually really really soft and shiny once it's dry. I used to have anti-frizz gel but with everything my hair tends not to frizz much anymore and has no damage even if I let it grow out too much without getting it trimmed. S'all good!

Also, regular hair cuts keep my hair looking nice. If you want your hair to grow, gotta keep cutting it. See too many people want long hair so they just let it grow and it grows out damaged. Gotta get that snip snip! Hair breaks as it grows. So I get my hair cut at least once a month, usually enjoy getting stuff done to it. I lurv my hair being massaged and brushed. Is that weird? Maybe. But I can just shut my eyes and when I get my haircut I have to try not to fall asleep, lol. I love it. I'm weird if you haven't noticed.

Night time routine I have a lot of stuff for taking off make-ups. Just simple wet-wipes along with coconut cream to soothe the skin while it's still moist and do that before any kind of washing, and leave it for a while before doing that. Unlike when I was younger I don't really cake myself in make-up anymore so this used to take ages but now it's not that bad. :3 When I was younger, with all the eyeliner and eyeshadow and my bitch face I'd look like a really pissed off panda lol.

And as for the bath, well, the bath ain't really for washing. The bath is for chillin'

And that's that. <3 I could go on, lol.
      :: makes the :3 face a lot ::

The post was edited 13 times, last by Mercedes ().

• Shower every morning without fail, however i shave every 2 days as i can get away with a day before i feel it. Anyone else have that feeling of 2 or 3 day's of facial hair growth, that no matter if you shower you still feel dirty?

I do shower a 2nd time in the summer months after work, of if i'm going out anywhere as i like to keep fresh. Brush my teeth twice a day, floss once and mouthwash straight afterwards.

Haircut is usually once every 6 weeks, which is plenty for me. Usually follows with a beard trim afterwards.
    • So.. I shower every morning and brush, floss, and use mouthwash for my teeth routine. I always shower at night before bend and wash my hair. Also throughout the day I wash my hands a LOT but that’s also probably because I have a dog so, I probably wash my hands more than most because I’m constantly giving her attention.

SPEAKING OF HAIRCUTS I need one. Hopefully this week!
    • Oh yeah, I definitely need a haircut. It's almost down to my shoulders again and I can't stand that. I like it very short at the back and a bit longer on the sides. I can tie my hair back into one ponytail right now, which means it's gotten too long. But I need to shop around a bit becuse I didn't like the hairdresser I last went to, not at all. So I want to look into the other salons in town to see if I can find someone I actually like and trust with my hair
    • I really don't get my hair cut as much as I should. It's not that long, maybe 3-4 inches on the sides and back and 6 to 7 inches on top. But it grows in so freaking fast that it's hard to get to the barber. I usually brush my teeth once or twice a day (once in the morning, once at night before I put my retainers in) and floss, as well as aqua pick. If I'm feeling super fancy maybe mouthwash as well.

I also shower once a day and shampoo every other day, sometimes every two days if it isn't too oily or sweaty or gross. It's stupid dense and surprisingly, kinda wavy now despite how fine it is and is a pain in the butt to wash. I use a 2-1 shampoo and conditioner and towel dry, sometimes blow drying when I get out of the shower.

Recently I've kind of had to start trimming my leg hair because if I don't it chafes and hurts when I wear long socks. So 99% of the time I don't wear socks
      I AM TAKANUVA, TOA OF LIGHT!

You'll be hearing my name someday, whenever people talk about heroes - Takua!
      I put the Bi in Bionicle
    • Colu wrote:

mercedes, i love the dedication to your hair, sounds like you know what you're doing!
      Before doing what I'm doing now I wanted to be a personal trainer or beautician. So I'm my own personal beautician, lol.

Hair's lovely! All hair can look great and make a person feel good. :) i think the most common beauty questions you see from both men and women is hair stuff!
    • Mercedes wrote:

i think the most common beauty questions you see from both men and women is hair stuff!
      It kind of makes sense. If someone's face is art, their hair is the picture frame. How well you take care of it and what it looks like can go a long way as far as making you look attractive.
      I AM TAKANUVA, TOA OF LIGHT!

You'll be hearing my name someday, whenever people talk about heroes - Takua!
      I put the Bi in Bionicle
    • Colu wrote:

what do you folks do for facial skincare? it's something i need to start doing and know nothing about.
      and slightly related, how do you break a habit or replace a bad habit with a good habit?
      To break a habit, remove your ability to do it if you can? Otherwise you need to make it part of a routine. Gotta make it easy because if you start skipping doing something because its annoying or you cant be bothered, its over. I know that like 9/10 people who skip the gym occasionally will just stop going altogether eventually. Kinda the same in all walks of life!

For face skincare, depends on skin. We all need diff stuff, or dont need, so there's no 1 perfect guide. If i could give a few tips, 1 would be dont use soap if you do now. It clogs your pores, its good enough for body but bad for face. Really bad. Use face wash! And really rub it in but dont be rough. Use fingertips and gently rub!

Moisturise and use toner once a day. Can skip toner if you want, moisturiser is the important bit, but its quick. Only do either after washing! And eye cream will help get rid of any baggyness or stuff like that if you have that. And then you just want to look for a good face serum if you still need some more oomph. I have anti aging serums and they work very well.

Order for me looks like: remove makeup, wash face, toner (takes like 2 seconds), serum if you have one, eye cream, moisturise. Always moisturise last since everything else can take moisture away and thats bad. Kinda like how washing your hair gets rid of natural oils so you condition last to put them back in, same kinda dealio with moisturiser here. You want to finish with your skin not dry but not wet, it should feel like nothing is on your face and just feels cool. Just feeling good! If its sticky or you feel it after, you used too much moisturiser.

I use olay regen range almost exclusively now for moisturiser and serum, and garnier for the toner.

Everyone looks at your face! Is always worth the time. :3 Typing this on my phone. Taking forever lol. Hope my ramblings might help!!
    • Colu wrote:

what do you folks do for facial skincare? it's something i need to start doing and know nothing about.
      and slightly related, how do you break a habit or replace a bad habit with a good habit?
      I rinse with hot water in the shower, then use a gentle toner (it must contain witch hazel, or be plain witch hazel, to work for me it seems), then use facial moisturizer. My skin is very dry and using soap or even facial cleanser regularly is too drying.

I don't wear makeup.

Currently using these:

"Oh hun, ... somewhere out there, there's a planet for you. It's not this one." -- Foo
      [signature by RealmWings]

The post was edited 2 times, last by boxes ().

• Winnie wrote:

@Mercedes so many people use moisturizer on their face but could it cause pimples? I don’t use moisturizer on my face but I’ve been thinking about it.
      I've been wondering this too!

boxes wrote:

Colu wrote:

I rinse with hot water in the shower, then use a gentle toner (it must contain witch hazel, or be plain witch hazel, to work for me it seems), then use facial moisturizer. My skin is very dry and using soap or even facial cleanser regularly is too drying.
      I don't wear makeup.

Currently using these:

I've been rinsing my face (when I remember) with hot water and it feels really nice, and it's at least a nice and easy start to getting myself in the habit of facial care
    • Colu wrote:

@Mercedes
      thanks! what is toner?
      i'm not sure what my skin needs, so i'll definitely need to look into it a bit more! i struggle with breakouts, but that particular trouble might be diet issues as well, i've been bad!
      Toner is like extra cleansing of your face to unclog your pores and keep it producing the oils you want it to. Helps stop oily or greasy skin, and get rid of irritants left on your face completely e.g. makeup.

Its not very heavy and shouldn't cause any issues to even sensitive skin. Its good! Everyone should use.

Winnie wrote:

@Mercedes so many people use moisturizer on their face but could it cause pimples? I don’t use moisturizer on my face but I’ve been thinking about it.
      If someone is getting pimples from moisturizer theyre just using too much of it and damaging their skin. Your body does a lot but needs help! We use moisturizer to help our skin stay healthy when its at its worst (after cleaning) but not to do our skin's job afterall. :3 So how i keep mentioning pores? You want then cleaned but not blocked. Too much moisturiser blocks production of certain natural oils and that would invite imperfections like pimples. :(

Using a sensitive moisturizer will help if that happens. :3 But you should only need a little bit. Is a dosage thing mainly.

If your face is properly cleaned and the right amount of moisturiser used it shouldnt cause any pimples. I never get any and i use it daily. :)
      :: makes the :3 face a lot ::

The post was edited 1 time, last by Mercedes ().

• My overall routine -- I shower every morning and I wash my hair daily with shampoo (just a drug store one), no conditioner since my hair is a quarter inch long. I wash my face once/day after my morning shower. Sometimes I shower twice (again after work in the evening) if something gross happened at work. Brush my teeth twice/day minimum, including flossing and brushing my tongue! I wear deodorant in the pits. Again a plain drug store one (Nivea I think). I dry brush before I shower a couple times a week, for exfoliation.

I think the maybe stand-out or unusual thing about my hygiene routine is that I wear a lot of moisturizer. I think I'm way out in the 3 sigma region on the Gaussian distribution of skin dryness x_x. Right now using multiple different moisturizers throughout the day -- I apply a rich moisturizer all over my body after I shower, and a thicker creme where needed (elbows, legs etc). I moisturize my hands about 20 times a day haha. Then my body again when I get home, and again before I go to bed. My skin is unbearable itchy and hurts to be touched if I don't do this, definitely worse in the winter.

I've tried lots of "fancy" specialty products, whether from salons or organic/"natural" etc. I've tried lots of alternative products too, like baking soda and vinegar shampoo etc. Well I found simple stuff works best and my hair just sucks so now I don't bother with hair and I just buy what's inexpensive. I am more selective about moisturizer though as it needs to be pretty strong to work for me, and Lubriderm etc just isn't!

"Oh hun, ... somewhere out there, there's a planet for you. It's not this one." -- Foo
      [signature by RealmWings]

The post was edited 2 times, last by boxes ().