Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    Can we expect a new Zelda in 2019?
    • The Original Fierce Deity wrote:

We would expect a Zelda game to come out in LATE 2019 or EARLY 2020 if you follow the Zelda game release pattern.
      Follow what pattern? The past 8 years, 8 Zelda games have been released. If you ''follow the pattern'', it actually suggest a Zelda release this year is likely. So idk what you're on about, but you're not making yourself look exactly good here, buddy

PS I don't use patterns when it comes to these things. But if you do wanna look at them, a Zelda for 2019 is technically likely

The post was edited 1 time, last by john_marston ().

• The next Zelda game could come out in this year but the odds are low. 8 Zelda Games came out 1 year after the previous one. 6 Zelda Games came out 2 years after the previous one. 1 Game came out 3 years after the previous one. 1 Game 4 years after and 1 game 5 years after. So the next Zelda game could come out in a time frame of 5 years max. The next GOOD ZELDA GAME could come out in 2019-2020-2021 or in 2022. IF YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT THE REALLY BAD ONES(Spirit Tracks & Phantom Hour glass) THEN YES IT COULD COME OUT WHENEVER IN 2019. BUT THE GOOD ONES LIKE-Majoras Mask, Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword will more often than not come out next year. @john_marston

NEWEST GAME

March 3, 2017: Breath of the Wild- Have Not Played
      +2 Years
      October 22nd, 2015: Tri Force Heroes- Its Okay
      +1 Year
      August 14th, 2014: Hyrule Warriors- Haven't Played
      +1 Year
      November 22nd, 2013: A Link Between Worlds- Good
      +2 Years
      November 18th, 2011: Skyward Sword- Great/ Dont @ Me
      +3 Years
      December 7, 2009: Spirit Tracks/ GARBAGE/DOODOO
      +2 Years
      June 23rd, 2007: Phantom Hourglass/GARBO
      +1 Year
      September 2nd, 2006: Twilight Princess/ BEST ONE EVER
      +2 Years
      November 4th, 2004: Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosey Rupee-Land-MAD DOODOO
      +2 Years
      December 13th, 2002: The Minish Cap/Haven't Played
      +1 Year
      December 2nd, 2002: The Wind Waker/ Haven't Played
      +1 Year
      February 27th, 2001: Four Swords/DooDoo
      +1 Year
      April 27th, 2000: Oracle of Ages & Oracle of Seasons/Haven't Played
      +1 Year
      January 21st, 1999: Majora's Mask/ SECOND BEST
      +2 months
      November 21st, 1998
      : Ocarina of Time/ THIRD BEST
      +5 Years
      June 5, 1994: Zelda's Adventures/ Haven't Played
      +2 Years
      October 10th, 1993: The Forces of Evil & The Wand of Ganon/Haven't Played
      +3 months
      June 6th, 1993: Links Awakening/Good
      +2 Years
      November 21st, 1991: A Link to the Past/Good
      +4 Years
      January 14th, 1987: The Adventure of Link/Good
      +1 Year
      February 21st, 1986: The Legend of Zelda/Great

OLDEST GAME

• @The Original Fierce Deity - your logic is based off subjective "evidence".

Your list of good versus bad games is not the universal rule to determine anything.

Some of the games you list as bad I find good.

Using your subjective logic does not mean that you can predict a pattern - a game being good or bad differs from person to person.

I'm not saying you are wrong or anything, just that your logic doesn't apply 100%.

Sig & Avvy by Lady Sunshine, the most wonderful girl in the world
    • Hey Opinions are opinions. You respect mine, I respect yours. I'm saying if a Zelda game to this year, it would be bad. My point is that if a new good Zelda game were to come out it would be most likely next year. But only Time will tell.
      _________________________of
      ______________________Ocarina
      _______________________-Zelda:
      _______________________Legend
      ________________________The

The post was edited 1 time, last by The Original Fierce Deity ().

• The Original Fierce Deity wrote:

Hey Opinions are opinions. You respect mine, I respect yours. I'm saying if a Zelda game to this year, it would be bad. My point is that if a new good Zelda game were to come out it would be most likely next year. But only Time will tell.
      ______________________Ocarina
      _______________________-Zelda:
      _______________________Legend
      ________________________The
      No one is disrespecting your opinion. What we are doing is pointing out how pretty much nothing you are saying in regards to a game coming out this year makes any sense from a logical standpoint.

I respect your right to have an opinion, doesn't mean that it's right.

Sig & Avvy by Lady Sunshine, the most wonderful girl in the world
    • 2D they could probably easily push out for next year. Not exactly my cup of tea, but there are people who like that so it wouldn’t be a bad investment. Personally never been able to properly get into the 2D Zelda as much.

3D they could likely get out in 2019 or 2020 if they built off of BotW’s engine. No complaints from me there, as I enjoy the gameplay aspect and the style of it, though wish the story was a bit more (and increasing “dungeon” difficult with each subsequent Divine beast). A number of more 3D style games used to get pushed out within 2-3 years of the previous installment when using the same engine (Halo, Call of Duty, Gears of War). That’s more what I’m used to for games, so it’s not odd for me to have no news yet *shrug*

Though, I wouldn’t complain right away if it didn’t show up in 2019, rather exercise patience and hold out hope that the extra time is going into quality, similer to my current stance on Pokemon Generation 8 on Switch.
    • Zadent wrote:

Personally never been able to properly get into the 2D Zelda as much.
      It's weird when you think about it. Such different games, but still the same genre and series.

Welcome to ZU!
      100% | Finished | Now playing:
      TLoZ | 2nd Q | TAoL | ALttP | LA | LA DX | OoT | OoT MQ | MM | OoA | OoS | ALttP (GBA) | FS | TWW | FSA | TMC | TP | LCT | PH | ST | OoT 3D | FS AE | SS | ALBW | MM 3D | TFH | TP HD | BotW
    • Canyarion wrote:

Zadent wrote:

It's weird when you think about it. Such different games, but still the same genre and series.
      Welcome to ZU!
      thanks!

Yeah, it is weird. LA was my attempted first game when I was younger cause my brother had it, had no clue what I was doing. I think I really started getting into it with OoT and MM on the Gamecube with the Collector’s Disc.

It’s great if they can keep working on both though and deliver, so that there’s diversity and if one style doesn’t work for someone, they may enjoy the other. Keeps both groups happier I think. Similar to, from how it sounds, combat vs puzzles in OoX, where, while having both gives more, people might lean more toward one or the other depending on which aspect that enjoy more, so hopefully continuing to have some of that diversity.
    • Hi not sure if anyone said this specifically and I'm sure its an unpopular opinion but

I honestly hate when franchises start to crank out games - new or filler. If a game is coming out every year, its too much.

I like time for full development, for waiting, to replay older games and find new things, for tons of speculation. I think it's exciting to wait 2-3 for a new game. BotW was a huge shift for the franchise and onto the new console. Give people time to find more in the game. Sure its been out for 1.5 years but all kinds of glitches and speed runs and etc of games still come out for older Zelda games years and years later as people really get into the hearts of the games. I understand the idea of wanting continuous titles from a monetary standpoint but.. idk. I just don't personally like that. I don't need a new Zelda game every year to be invested in the franchise or anything.

As for the the next new game - I really hope its not something too similar to BotW. I'd like some contrast. A top down would be cool.. Does anyone think a top down (or partial top down) game would be made for a home console instead of something like the 3DS?

"Defense against the dark farts, am I right?" -Pennington
      | This spot reserved for Dark Link Reigns |

• 2D as in most of the top down ones, and Z2. I’m one of those people that, while I can work with that in some games, like Pokemon, I feel like I need the depth. Add to that that outside of Pokemon I was mostly a console gamer, and that’s another factor. Part of that could be how I started out, with OoT, MM, and TWW as my Zelda cornerstones, and I could probably get the hang of 2D now, though it can be quite the transition.

I could be misunderstanding the categories, was mostly going off of what I was reading here.
    • @Lady Sunshine The very fact that the Switch will get both the Pokemon 8th generation-games and Fire Emblem is a strong indication that the Switch indeed is handled by Nintendo as a portable as much as a console. So yes I strongly believe that we will get a 2Dish Zelda soon. I even believe that we will get that this year.

But when I think of a different Zelda after BotW, I definitely don't think of a 2Dish one... that is just TOO different. In my world it is another genre honestly considering how different 2D- and 3D-Zeldas actually are. It's like comparing Super Mario Galaxy/Odyssey to the New Super Mario Bros-games. I do expect a 2Dish game, but I really want a different 3D-Zelda. We really don't need a second Breath of the Wild, that world is big enough as it is. I do however expect another "open air"-Zelda, but that doesn't mean that it will be very similar to BotW.

The post was edited 2 times, last by MVS ().

• Mario Odyssey and Galaxy are different from New Super Mario Bros are different for other reasons. 2D and 3D Zeldas don't have a fundamental disconnect. It's more like the difference between Mario 3D Land/World and New Super Mario Bros; same general forumla, just with an extra axis. That said, BotW is as different from traditional Zelda as Mario Galaxy is to New Super Mario Bros.
      The Twilight Realm was basically wizard Australia where every naughty banished person was transformed into some sort of harmless albino penguins.
      ~ Gamtos

WW is Nintendo's Up, basically. Link is Russell, Tetra is Doug, and uh, I guess maybe Tingle is Kevin?

~ Gregarious Tree
    • Kokiri Kid wrote:

Mario Odyssey and Galaxy are different from New Super Mario Bros are different for other reasons. 2D and 3D Zeldas don't have a fundamental disconnect. It's more like the difference between Mario 3D Land/World and New Super Mario Bros; same general forumla, just with an extra axis. That said, BotW is as different from traditional Zelda as Mario Galaxy is to New Super Mario Bros.
      There is no need for going into details or nitpicking. They are different enough, that was the point. 2D Mario is different from 3D Mario, even if Super Mario 3D Land/World feels like a 3D-version of the classic 2D games, and 2D Zelda is different from 3D Zelda. And with "different" I mean in a fundamental way. Sure people are free to disagree, but I fully regard the two different styles as different genres. At the same time I don't regard for example TP and BotW as different genres (even if they are pretty different). Or sure, BotW is "true open world" while TP isn't, but that is basically it.

The post was edited 1 time, last by MVS ().

• I don't know how could think TP has more in common with BotW than TMC.

As for how I define traditional Zelda, it's the formula introduced in ALttP, and encompasses every mainline singleplayer game since. So basically everything except Hyrule Warriors, Four Swords (Adventures), TriForce Heroes, and the NES games.
      The Twilight Realm was basically wizard Australia where every naughty banished person was transformed into some sort of harmless albino penguins.
      ~ Gamtos

WW is Nintendo's Up, basically. Link is Russell, Tetra is Doug, and uh, I guess maybe Tingle is Kevin?

~ Gregarious Tree
    • Kokiri Kid wrote:

I don't know how could think TP has more in common with BotW than TMC.
      I don't know about you, but that extra dimension makes a ton of difference. Not only to the visuals/camera perspective but also in terms of gameplay like how you explore and playing in (3D) environments. 2D is always minimalistic for obvious reasons, and 3D is broader where you both can look far ahead because of the camera that is behind you and not above you, and that you have a sense of height. The entire feel is different.

I still hold out hope for a January Direct later this month, but in terms of Zelda I can easily see them drop a 2Dish Zelda trailer at E3 and release it later the same year.

The post was edited 3 times, last by MVS ().

• Zadent wrote:

I have to agree here; although I can and do play them and this was my first Zelda experience, I find 3D Zelda to be much easier to love and connect with. I’ve never liked 2D games that much. Modern side scrollers are...okay, because it gives better detail, but I really prefer 3D games because they are much more immersive, the world feels much more fleshed out and real, and there’s so much more to see and analyze. That said I also dislike solely first person-perspective games, because for one thing, apparently I’m a minority and I honestly feel less immersed when I’m seeing the world from how I would if I were actually standing there (mostly because I’m not really into playing games as “myself” and I like seeing the character’s unique appearance and watching them move through the works and interact), and for another thing, I like seeing what’s behind me. Lol At the same time I prefer the option of being able to look at something from first person perspective in order to see it better, too, if I want to.

Basically I want all the works with my 3D games.

Celebrating 3 whole years of ZU membership -- 8/22/2015 - 8/22/2018