Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    What are They Thinking?? [Discussion on the Direction of the Series]
    • Always remember that Twilight Princess was made on the Wind Waker engine. I’m not going to make any bets on what it’s going to look like just because of its engine.

At this point I’m believing the 2020 placement, I’m just doubting exactly how good the game is going to be. In fact, the “make Zelda a yearly thing” goal really bothers me and I’m inclined to worry we’re going to see a drop in quality due to them rushing everything to meet those goals.

Celebrating 3 whole years of ZU membership -- 8/22/2015 - 8/22/2018

The post was edited 1 time, last by Linkle ().

• Linkle wrote:

At this point I’m believe the 2020 placement, I’m just doubting exactly how good the game is going to be. In fact, the “make Zelda a yearly thing” goal really bothers me and I’m inclined to worry we’re going to see a drop in quality due to them rushing everything to meet those goals.
      The yearly-thing-comment probably just means that they want to have something Zelda-related each year, like Link in Mario Kart, little bits of minor DLC, a spin-off like Hyrule Warriors, a remaster, a port, whatever basically. They could just port TWW HD and call it a day for one year.

In other words; nothing that I would be worried about.

The post was edited 1 time, last by MVS ().

• MVS wrote:

Linkle wrote:

At this point I’m believe the 2020 placement, I’m just doubting exactly how good the game is going to be. In fact, the “make Zelda a yearly thing” goal really bothers me and I’m inclined to worry we’re going to see a drop in quality due to them rushing everything to meet those goals.
      The yearly-thing-comment probably just means that they want to have something Zelda-related each year, like Link in Mario Kart, little bits of minor DLC, a spin-off like Hyrule Warriors, a remaster, a port, whatever basically. They could just port TWW HD and call it a day for one year.
      In other words; nothing that I would be worried about.
      Is the ever year thing even true or just a rumor?

Kokopelli wrote:

Honestly, even if it's true that they're aiming for a 2020 release, I fully expect it to be delayed to 2021. It's just the precedent at this point. I'll be kind of shocked if a top-down game isn't released this year, though.
      Yeah I could see it getting Delayed but if it is aiming for 2020 we should get some kind of teaser at least this year.
    • So I was watching a video about this and some one said something I didn't think about and I was wondering what you guys think about this. So say the next Zelda game comes out in 2020 that would be like 3+ years depending on what part of 2020 but when it comes to time could you maybe say it is like even more time really? The reasons I say this is because BOTW was going to be a wii u game before it end up comming out on switch to, and so BOTW may have been like done and been held back the release date for a little bit for the switch. So the last say 6 months or so the game may have been like done and so maybe some of the Zelda team could have already jumped on to starting the next game or at least brain storming ideas.
    • Zeldaisthebest! wrote:

So I was watching a video about this and some one said something I didn't think about and I was wondering what you guys think about this. So say the next Zelda game comes out in 2020 that would be like 3+ years depending on what part of 2020 but when it comes to time could you maybe say it is like even more time really? The reasons I say this is because BOTW was going to be a wii u game before it end up comming out on switch to, and so BOTW may have been like done and been held back the release date for a little bit for the switch. So the last say 6 months or so the game may have been like done and so maybe some of the Zelda team could have already jumped on to starting the next game or at least brain storming ideas.
      I mean, I think it’s possible, but even if that’s true, porting it to the Switch surely took up at least some of that time and effort, right? I can’t imagine most of the Zelda team would have defected to another game, at the very least, but no, I wouldn’t be surprised if they revealed they were working on another game on the side late into BotW’s development, either.

• Linkle wrote:

Zeldaisthebest! wrote:

So I was watching a video about this and some one said something I didn't think about and I was wondering what you guys think about this. So say the next Zelda game comes out in 2020 that would be like 3+ years depending on what part of 2020 but when it comes to time could you maybe say it is like even more time really? The reasons I say this is because BOTW was going to be a wii u game before it end up comming out on switch to, and so BOTW may have been like done and been held back the release date for a little bit for the switch. So the last say 6 months or so the game may have been like done and so maybe some of the Zelda team could have already jumped on to starting the next game or at least brain storming ideas.
      I mean, I think it’s possible, but even if that’s true, porting it to the Switch surely took up at least some of that time and effort, right? I can’t imagine most of the Zelda team would have defected to another game, at the very least, but no, I wouldn’t be surprised if they revealed they were working on another game on the side late into BotW’s development, either.
      Yeah I am not like really sure how this works like how long did it take to like port the game over to the switch has that is like basically what it was I would think. Yeah that is what I mean late into development maybe have some people move on to the next game. I mean I known there have been games where dlc is made and some of the team moves on to the next game while some work on the dlc.
    • This idea just came to me...

Remember all of that really dark and creepy enemy concept art that they had for BOTW? And you know how they say they like to 'borrow' any unused concepts for the next game?

What if the next game (using BOTW's engine) is going to be a Majora's Mask type deal? Some of (if not most) look like they either belong in a Dark World or Termina-type version of Hyrule, with the game dealing with dark themes like it did in Majora's.

If they did something like this, I could imagine it could be done to make it be 'different' from the previous game, but still use the some of the sets and game physics they worked hard to perfect.

And if they do use Ganon, there is the flaming blue skeletal boar that is in the concept art. That would fit the darker theme (if they go for it) plus it could be used to 'explain' why Ganon is composed of Malice now (the Malice is a stand-in composite 'body' generated by his wandering soul, the skeletal blue boar is the actual remains.)

Alternatively they could come up with a new boss, which they have done before.

So this was something I had thought of, after remembering that someone had said that the devs loved to use unused concept art and how a 'dark' Zelda seems to often follow a 'light' one. This would also give them an opportunity to use multi-player, because people will either be too creeped out to play alone or the enemies would be made harder (to match their nightmarish appearances.) It would be cool if any of it ever comes true, since Zelda could use a return to some of the creepy baddies and areas again.
    • Linkle wrote:

^ I’d be on board with it.
      I think if they tried it, I hope they would add in a lot of story too about it. Especially if they had the character stories like they had in Majora's Mask, because that stuff really gives you the idea that they are people with history. And if you really look at it, parts of Hyrule are now just giant graveyards after the Calamity, and that part of it shouldn't be brushed over either. With that much death and destruction, there should either be cursed places full of evil spirits or parts like Ikana, places where the dead are unable to rest.
      Rymes with 'Achoo.'

The post was edited 3 times, last by Aku ().

• Aku wrote:

Linkle wrote:

^ I’d be on board with it.
      I think if they tried it, I hope they would add in a lot of story too about it. Especially if they had the character stories like they had in Majora's Mask, because that stuff really gives you the idea that they are people with history. And if you really look at it, parts of Hyrule are now just giant graveyards after the Calamity, and that part of it shouldn't be brushed over either. With that much death and destruction, there should either be cursed places full of evil spirits or parts like Ikana, places where the dead are unable to rest.
      AMEN. AMEN AKU.

• MVS wrote:

But if this really will be BotW-DLC, do you really think that it will be another Season Pass? I don't. I think it will be one-time-thing and that it will be more meaty than usual. A lot of people have already paid around 80 dollars for BotW already.
      A while ago Nintendo said they wanted to keep bringing out updates for their big games, like BotW. I was excited for a moment, because I assumed it was more DLC. Later I realized he probably just meant news updates in the Switch news channel. They keep doing that for BotW.

Anyway, DLC for BotW in 2020 is too crazy to be true.

Aku wrote:

Remember all of that really dark and creepy enemy concept art that they had for BOTW? And you know how they say they like to 'borrow' any unused concepts for the next game?
      You mean this, right?

Hmmmm... I like serious Zelda games, but this might cost them sales. This is nightmare material.

Also, this thread has sadly gone from a "let's analyze" thread to a "latest rumors and random ideas" one. :(
      100% | Finished | Now playing:
      TLoZ | 2nd Q | TAoL | ALttP | LA | LA DX | OoT | OoT MQ | MM | OoA | OoS | ALttP (GBA) | FS | TWW | FSA | TMC | TP | LCT | PH | ST | OoT 3D | FS AE | SS | ALBW | MM 3D | TFH | TP HD | BotW
    • If the 2020 rumour really has to be DLC, I at least hope it's not like the first two packs. I still think it's a bit more likely that it's a new game though. Considering that if I recall correctly, the 3D games are usually prone to delay and they have Monolith Soft to help them out, and a formula that they've decided to stick to... Maybe 2021, or 2022 in the worst case scenario?

As for actually guessing what the next game might be about, I've no idea, other than the simple guess that it'll be another open-world game but with a new twist.

The post was edited 3 times, last by ich Will ().

• @Canyarion What do you mean by "news updates in the Switch news channel"? I am pretty lost.

And yeah, this thread isn't 100 percent on topic anymore, but on the other hand there isn't much to talk about since they have kept silent for a pretty long while, and if we don't post anything for a longer while the thread will just be locked because of inactivity (which I think is a strange practice here on ZU to be honest).

The post was edited 2 times, last by MVS ().

• The Switch has a section with news. News articles for games are placed there. For example, they announce the new SplatFest, or they promote new games. A few months ago, Mario Odyssey received a lot of 'updates' about little bonuses in the game.

Last week I saw a news article for BotW there. Not sure what it was. But that's probably what Nintendo meant.
      TLoZ | 2nd Q | TAoL | ALttP | LA | LA DX | OoT | OoT MQ | MM | OoA | OoS | ALttP (GBA) | FS | TWW | FSA | TMC | TP | LCT | PH | ST | OoT 3D | FS AE | SS | ALBW | MM 3D | TFH | TP HD | BotW
    • No, they were pretty clear about it being DLC:

"Titles like The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, and Super Mario Odyssey are what we call “hardware drivers” in that consumers are very often interested in buying these titles when making a new hardware purchase. Titles released already in the previous fiscal years remain capable of driving hardware sales. The key is to figure out what makes these titles appealing, and how we can get consumers to understand that appeal. Going forward, we plan to incorporate add-on content and other factors that will keep these titles in the spotlight, so they will continue to sell alongside the hardware.

We take the value of software very seriously. What we want with our evergreen titles is to maintain their values as long as possible without lowering the prices."

gonintendo.com/stories/322329-…-breath-of-the-wild-mario

I don't think they're going to add anything major to any of those titles at this point, except maybe Mario Kart. I think he just used those games as examples.
      [pitch meeting] Okay so it's a ton of dogs. Dalmatians. 100 of 'em. I call it "100 Dalmatians." [idea man pipes in] Let's think bigger

- Ristolable

The post was edited 1 time, last by Kokopelli ().

• Linkle wrote:

Yeah if we get too much more add-ons to BotW that amount to more shrines and a Sixth Divine Beast, I’m going to scream.
      At least it would be a sign that this kind of stuff is a "one-time-thing" in BotW, considering that they actually are working on the new title. No way that they would waste stuff on BotW that can work in the new title. If they will do actual DLC for BotW, I actually hope for more shrines and eventually a sixth divine beast... even though I don't like either of them. I rather wait for new content to make the next title richer, than getting it earlier in an old and "kind of dead" title as BotW. Yeah BotW is a really good game but it will soon be a two year old game.

Besides, it doesn't matter if it gets more stuff, it will still be flawed. And it will not do much for people like me who have already beaten the game a couple of times. I really don't like the idea to go back to an old game and add stuff in the effort to make it a better game. What about making it great from the very start? I don't want BotW to become a Final Fantasy XV-thing. Just leave it alone, and if you want to add more stuff to it just give it more of the same, so it doesn't delay the next game!

BotW is yesterday, let's look forward folks.

The post was edited 2 times, last by MVS ().

• Canyarion wrote:

Aku wrote:

You mean this, right?

Hmmmm... I like serious Zelda games, but this might cost them sales. This is nightmare material.

Also, this thread has sadly gone from a "let's analyze" thread to a "latest rumors and random ideas" one. :(
      Why would it cost them sales? From the looks of it, it's likely that a significant portion of the surge of newest fans are late teens to the mid to late 20s, where this kind of nightmare stuff would be of no issue. I would even far as to say that this skewed the average age up, and this might be the trend for the foreseeable future.

If this was done, it might even cause Zelda to trend higher as a series to play. Deeper and darker themes tend to get talked about far longer then stuff that is light and kid oriented. Powering through enemies that look scary (and are much tougher to boot) feels more like an accomplishment, it doesn't just tell you that Link is courageous, it shows you. Death, loss, and enemies that don't look cute or weak, and then overcoming the odds and there being a new day because of it, I think that would much better convey the themes of courage and hope and a Hero to win against the evil that seems stronger and more persistent then if it tried to return towards being light or not scary enough.

Edit: There might be another benefit to this skewing up in age- they might be more encouraged to tell more of a deeper story. No longer having a so young a player range to cater to, they can fill out characters far more, giving extensive lore and interaction that would be lost on kids. Characters that have more of a life then just standing around for their bit parts, where they can better share their personal stories (and their fear and worry about the monsters and Ganon) rather then being JUST the shopkeep, JUST the chieftain, ect. I know that stuff was a big hit in MM, so why not bring it back, especially for an audience that it could be even better developed for?
      Rymes with 'Achoo.'

The post was edited 4 times, last by Aku ().

• Nintendo has found its audience for Zelda. Changing that to a more mature audience is risky.

When people talk about how to improve BotW, they mention dungeons, music, story. That's what people want for the next game. Creepypaste? Not so much.