Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    Am I the only one who hates the Hero Shade's backstory?
    • I mean, he's a kind teacher who passes on a lot of cool skills and all but what I really hated was how depressing his backstory was. Hyrule Historia mentions that he is actually the Hero of Time and I was so disappointed to hear that he has spent his life suffering through so much and became a miserable person who died with regrets. After the events of MM and OOT, I was expecting and hoping that Link would finally be able to live a happy life as an adult. After all that crap he went through, I thought a happy ending was well-deserved. I just feel so bad for the poor baby.

I really like the Hero of Time but because of how depressing his life is, I would put the Hero of Winds and Hero of Twilight above him as my favorite Links.

The post was edited 1 time, last by PurpleandRed ().

• The Hero of Time is actually hands-down my favorite incarnation of Link thus far by a wide margin, precisely because of his tragic life and eventual fate. He more so than any other known hero thus far has been repeatedly kicked in the teeth, yet he soldiered on anyway, to the point where teaching his skills to a successor was enough for him to pass on. The very fact that he deserved a happy ending and yet, debatably, never got one is a big part of what makes him such a uniquely tragic figure in the series and, for me at least, adds to his appeal.
    • Setras wrote:

The Hero of Time is actually hands-down my favorite incarnation of Link thus far by a wide margin, precisely because of his tragic life and eventual fate. He more so than any other known hero thus far has been repeatedly kicked in the teeth, yet he soldiered on anyway, to the point where teaching his skills to a successor was enough for him to pass on. The very fact that he deserved a happy ending and yet, debatably, never got one is a big part of what makes him such a uniquely tragic figure in the series and, for me at least, adds to his appeal.
      What's wrong with him having a happy ending? I mean, he's a fictional character that we've grown to love and root for and wish that he has found his silver lining and lived a happy life from all the dark things he went through.
    • No one is saying that a happy ending is bad and nothing is saying that he didn't have a good life after MM. (And obviously, not everyone wanted him to have a "happily ever after" life seeing as how a lot of us like the Hero's Shade's backstory).

We know nothing about what happened to him after Termina. And just because he had some regrets when he died doesn't mean anything.

Not every character in every story needs to be happy at every moment of a story and not every ending needs to be a happy one.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Keyaki ().

• Keyaki wrote:

No one is saying that a happy ending is bad and nothing is saying that he didn't have a good life after MM. We know nothing about what happened to him after Termina. And just because he had some regrets when he died doesn't mean anything.

Not every character in every story needs to be happy at every moment of a story and not every ending needs to be a happy one.
      I didn't say he should be happy all the time. He certainly wasn't always cheerful during the events of OOT and MM, he was the only kid without a fairy and he was a misfit because he lived among the kokiris. He left Saria, lost seven years of his life and had to repeatedly reset time to stop a giant moon from falling. That is perfectly reasonable that he should not smile going through all of this.

There have been some theories that after MM, he could've gotten lost in a forest and died hence his stalfo appearance, or just never found Navi. I'm sure he was happy when he got married and have a family of his own but sheesh, after all the crap he went through, he should've been allowed to pass on his teachings when he was alive and be remembered as the hero of time but Zelda was too stupid to let him stay in the adult timeline to stop Ganon from breaking out of the seal in the future.

As for happy ending, it for me depends on the theme of the game. If it has a really dark tone, I wouldn't really like it if it had a sad ending to it. I'd expect the characters that we're supposed to care for get a happy ending after all the crazy stuff they went through. If it had a light-hearted, happy tone, then a possible sad ending may be okay if it's not too melodramatic for me, I guess. Though, I generally prefer happy endings and dislike most sad/bittersweet endings.

The post was edited 3 times, last by PurpleandRed ().

• PurpleandRed wrote:

Zelda was too stupid to let him stay in the adult timeline to stop Ganon from breaking out of the seal in the future.
      -_-;;
      ~Sigh~ You can't stop insulting Princess Zelda at every turn can you?

First off, how was she supposed to know that Ganondorf was gonna break out? No one knew. Not Link, not Zelda, not the Sages; Nobody. It's not fair to blame Zelda for Ganondorf breaking out centuries after he was sealed when she wasn't at fault. Especially since, again, he broke out centuries after OoT.

PurpleandRed wrote:

I'd expect the characters that we're supposed to care for get a happy ending after all the crazy stuff they went through.
      LOL, yea well you can't get everything you'd expect to get. Especially in various fictional media. Not every character in fiction gets a happy ending, regardless of what they did. That's just the fact of the matter.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Keyaki ().

• I did like seeing the Hero's Shade in TP, and thought an older incaranation of Link teaching a newer one was an interesting plot point. However, I have to agree with @PurpleandRed in that I feel bad that the Hero of Time died with regrets. He saved two worlds, one of which doesn't remember his deeds, and the other he had to leave. Is it too much to ask that his older self in the CT to have found some joy in life after his adventures?

The Hero of Time is my favourite incarnation of Link. He was the first 3D Link that I played as, and OoT's story is still the best in the series, IMO. I just wish I didn't have to make up an entire alternate fan timeline to give his story the happy ending he deserves.

BotW Zelda in her purple Hylian Tunic, by my husband, DarkSilver.

"Breath of the Wild: "Zelda's Redemption" Chapter 3 now up!

After Calamity Ganon's defeat, a devastated Zelda must come to terms with her ruined kingdom, dead friends, and the resentment of the Hero who had saved her, but lost his fiancee. When all hope seems lost, she comes across a legend of a holy relic that can set things right, if she can find the ancient keys to access it. With the help of new friends, and without Link, can Zelda finally become a legend, on her own terms?

The post was edited 1 time, last by Violetlight ().

• Violetlight wrote:

However, I have to agree with @PurpleandRed in that I feel bad that the Hero of Time died with regrets. He saved two worlds, one of which doesn't remember his deeds, and the other he had to leave. Is it too much to ask that his older self in the CT to have found some joy in life after his adventures?
      That's the thing though. Like I said, dying with regrets =/= living a happy life before death.

We all know he died regretting that he wasn't able to pass on what he knew but we don't how his life was after Termina. We know nothing. I agree that it sucks that he died not doing what he wanted to do but that doesn't mean he didn't experience joy in his life.
    • JP the Neurotic wrote:

I actually hate the idea that the hero’s shade is oot link

I don’t believe for a second that link would actually form regret over not being remembered . He’s a hero who did what he did not for fame or glory but because it was the right thing to do
      I haven't thought about that but now that you mentioned it, that makes sense since Link is usually a humble, selfless guy. That makes me feel that Link's regrets are cocky and selfish on his part. Also, nowhere in OOT or MM did he think about how he's not remembered as a hero.
    • Keyaki wrote:

PurpleandRed wrote:

Zelda was too stupid to let him stay in the adult timeline to stop Ganon from breaking out of the seal in the future.
      -_-;; ~Sigh~ You can't stop insulting Princess Zelda at every turn can you?

First off, how was she supposed to know that Ganondorf was gonna break out? No one knew. Not Link, not Zelda, not the Sages; Nobody. It's not fair to blame Zelda for Ganondorf breaking out centuries after he was sealed when she wasn't at fault. Especially since, again, he broke out centuries after OoT.

PurpleandRed wrote:

I'd expect the characters that we're supposed to care for get a happy ending after all the crazy stuff they went through.
      LOL, yea well you can't get everything you'd expect to get. Especially in various fictional media. Not every character in fiction gets a happy ending, regardless of what they did. That's just the fact of the matter.
      I don't know if Zelda remembers her past incarnations or knew about their history but if she does she should figure that since Ganondorf always finds a way to reincarnate himself and rule the world, she should've kept Link in the adult timeline. At the end of SS, Link and Zelda stayed on the surface to watch over the triforce because they may never know when something bad is going to happen on the surface and/or to the triforce. Weird how SS Zelda's future incarnation made an idiotic decision to return Link to his childhood. I thought that being wise was in her blood, too.

Well, he did lose an eye at some point in his life. :/

NoSkinnedKoopa wrote:

I just want a third Hero of Time game. Sequel to Majora's Mask and Prequel to Twilight Princess. That would make a wonderful satisfying trilogy.

Yeah, I love the Hero of Time's stories, one of my favorite stories in the series. Also, I want to know how he lost an eye and how he got that armor too. Also, did he get lost in a forest and became a stalfo when he died? Maybe it could be the first game in the series to feature a grown-up Link.

The post was edited 3 times, last by PurpleandRed ().

• Honestly I loved the Hero's Shade's story. But for multiple reason. Before TP was released there was two major shipping groups for the Hero of Time. One was ZeldaxLink, the other was MalonxLink. I was the latter. Not because I wanted Link to go with either one but because A) the game heavily implied that they would get together, and B) because the events of the Child Timeline basically made it impossible for Zelda and Link to get together.

Would the Royal Family really allow some random orphan peasant marry into the family. Of course not!

And I don't think Link had a bad life full of regrets. He just had one that was so powerful that kept him in the living world. He never got to pass on his legacy, nor did anyone know the struggles he went through to keep them happy and alive due to Zelda's somewhat... regrettable decision.

JP the Neurotic wrote:

I don’t believe for a second that link would actually form regret over not being remembered . He’s a hero who did what he did not for fame or glory but because it was the right thing to do
      I mean he wasn't characterized enough prior to that to tell us what he would or would not lament? For all we know Link did it because he thought it would be a fun adventure. Who knows?

Not to mention that I think his primary regret was the he never taught his descendants what he learned. He never left much of a legacy.

"Although I accepted life as the hero, I could not convey the lessons of that life to those that came after. At last, I have eased my regrets."

The post was edited 1 time, last by Mozly Alice ().

• JP the Neurotic wrote:

I don’t believe for a second that link would actually form regret over not being remembered . He’s a hero who did what he did not for fame or glory but because it was the right thing to do.

Those aren't mutually exclusive ideas- sure, you might do the right thing because it's the right thing and not ask for or want any kind of reward for it, but that doesn't necessarily mean it wouldn't at least sting a little bit to have your deeds wiped from the books. In the case of the HoT, he was removed from the universe where he'd saved Hyrule, deposited in another where those deeds would never happen, and then his travelling companion left him without a word and he was forced to leave Hyrule altogether to look for her and protect the Ocarina and ToC. Not feeling even a little resentful or regretful after something like that would frankly be inhuman. (..."Inhylian?" Whatever.)

And this is without factoring in how the guy started life as a mild outcast due to lacking a fairy and aging amidst a population of perpetual children with fairy companions, watched his father figure die right in front of him after navigating his insides, then had to fight giant lizards in an active volcano and navigate the insides of a giant fish, all so Ganon could steal his thunder and seven years of his life into the bargain. Never mind everything else he had to undergo in the temples and Termina, and whatever happened in his adult life to put him in that golden armor. The guy had a lot on his plate for a long time, and he seems more likely than most to have ended up the regretful specter that he was.
      Black Velvet Inferno

The post was edited 2 times, last by Setras ().

• PurpleandRed wrote:

I don't know if Zelda remembers her past incarnations or knew about their history but if she does she should figure that since Ganondorf always finds a way to reincarnate himself and rule the world, she should've kept Link in the adult timeline.
      That's the thing. You don't know. And never has there been a case of a present Zelda ever recalling the actions of her last reincarnation so don't automatically assume that Zelda should've known because, again:

No one freakin' knew!

The post was edited 2 times, last by Keyaki ().

• The Hero's Shade does have a happy ending. He passes on his skills to a hero who uses them to save the world. Having eased his regrets, he presumably passes on to the next life in peace. It takes a while after his death, but it's still a happy ending.
      Goddess of the Sands

Map of Thyphlo Ruins

Forest Architects

If you have Amiibo Tap: Nintendo's Greatest Bits on Wii U, you can reset which games your amiibo unlock by deleting the game and then redownloading it.
    • Evran_Speer wrote:

The Hero's Shade does have a happy ending. He passes on his skills to a hero who uses them to save the world. Having eased his regrets, he presumably passes on to the next life in peace. It takes a while after his death, but it's still a happy ending.
      But you can ignore the Hero's Shade and leave him with regrets. Easing his regrets is not an important part of the story. Nintendo just made an established part of his backstory him having regrets when he died. It may be more bittersweet because he's not alive when he passed on his skills but he could've had a happy ending when he was alive.
    • Keyaki wrote:

PurpleandRed wrote:

I don't know if Zelda remembers her past incarnations or knew about their history but if she does she should figure that since Ganondorf always finds a way to reincarnate himself and rule the world, she should've kept Link in the adult timeline.
      That's the thing. You don't know. And never has there been a case of a present Zelda ever recalling the actions of her last reincarnation so don't automatically assume that Zelda should've known because, again:
      No one freakin' knew!
      Whatever. Zelda contradicted her wisdom anyway and sent Link back to to his childhood instead of leaving him in the Adult Timeline to watch over the seal on Ganon and he wouldn't have to die with regrets.

The post was edited 1 time, last by PurpleandRed ().

• Yeah, honestly I think OoT Link becoming the Hero's Shade makes total sense. The Zelda games are presented mostly in a lighthearted, fun-first kind of way, but the actual events of the games get pretty damn dark and twisted sometimes. OoT Link's early life was straight up horrific. I don't think it's so much that he wanted praise as just some understanding. There was literally nobody who could relate to him or share his burdens, and he had to have had some serious PTSD. I actually think it's kind of moving that he finally gets some relief by passing on his knowledge to his descendant, knowing that at least in some small way the things he sacrificed to protect the world will live on and be remembered.
      A dark chase requires a silent hound, and deep roots are not reached by the frost.