Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    What are the crazy things you believed when you were a young child?
    • Thinking daylight savings was due to the Earth's rotation slowing down or someting weird like that.

I just remember cause I have two brothers who are much older than me. They don't let you live anything down... lol
      "This is the tale of an ancient land of lush forests and verdant meadows. A land blessed by the Goddesses where the powers of light and shadow exist in perfect balance. This is the story of the kingdom of Hyrule, of a king who sought to control the power of the gods, and of a boy without a fairy. A boy whose struggle against the shadow became a legend, riding upon the Winds of Time..."

A novelization of The Legend of Zelda- Ocarina of Time (Complete & Revised)

Click here for the audiobook edition.

• So looking back I realize when my mom wanted me to stop doing something, she would tell me it would kill me.

And then make up this “former kid down the street” who either died doing it or tell me about someone who was in the hospital because of it. Like, actively in the hospital at that very moment.

So I thought I would die if I swallowed toothpaste, swallowed gum, ate raw cookie dough, and the list goes on.. possibly to include eating dog treats, whatever some of you on here have done it don’t lie!

The post was edited 1 time, last by Winnie ().

• Well I believed all those horror stories my mam would tell me! Those kind of lies that help protect kids but has the unfortunate side effect of also terrifying them.

So if I sat too close to the TV, I'd get square eyes. I would sit at the other side of the room to watch TV, that was so scary, lol.

If I looked at the sun I'd go blind. So for about a year of my life I just stared at my feet when it was sunny for the 3 days we have sun in England.

If I pull my ears and there's a gust of wind they'll stay like that. I would strap my ears down under a big hat whenever it was windy.

And don't eat yellow snow.

Thankfully I don't believe ANY of those anymore. What a fool I was. :3 <3
      :: makes the :3 face a lot ::

The post was edited 1 time, last by Mercedes ().

• Things I believed:

If you add 1 to 999 sextillion 999 quintillion 999 quadrillion 999 trillion 999 billion 999 million 999 thousand and 999 you'd get infinity.

I could run faster than accelerating trucks (I even tried it once - yeah, I kinda thought they were very slow or something... I don't know!)

My stuffed animals I used to cuddle with had feelings. So I took them into my bed (at one point I had like 20 of them) and put the blanket on them and me. I made sure they had it nice and comfortable.

Oh and the standard stuff like monsters are in my dark room/in my closet et cetera.

Did I believe the square eyes TV thing? I can't remember.

Edit: I have a gamey one: For a short time, I believed Pokémon were real!
      (And I wanted the Legend of Zelda SO BAD to be real!)
      "A puppet that can no longer be used is mere garbage.
      This puppet's role has just ended..."
      - Majora

My major theories:

Counting the Population of Termina

Counting the Population of Hyrule (OoT)

The post was edited 2 times, last by Romano-British Medli ().

• When I was 4 or 5 I went on a fishing trip with my family. I only brought up a sea plant and a worm (?) Thing crawled out onto the seat of the boat beside me. I stepped on it and immediately following that, felt pins n needles in my leg since it had fallen asleep while I was sitting. For several years I thought the worm poisoned me.
      [signature by RealmWings]

The post was edited 1 time, last by boxes ().

• Winnie wrote:

So looking back I realize when my mom wanted me to stop doing something, she would tell me it would kill me.

And then make up this “former kid down the street” who either died doing it or tell me about someone who was in the hospital because of it. Like, actively in the hospital at that very moment.

So I thought I would die if I swallowed toothpaste, swallowed gum, ate raw cookie dough, and the list goes on.. possibly to include eating dog treats, whatever some of you on here have done it don’t lie!
      I was told gum would get stuck in your gut for up to twelve years if you swallowed it. I believed it for years.
      "This is the tale of an ancient land of lush forests and verdant meadows. A land blessed by the Goddesses where the powers of light and shadow exist in perfect balance. This is the story of the kingdom of Hyrule, of a king who sought to control the power of the gods, and of a boy without a fairy. A boy whose struggle against the shadow became a legend, riding upon the Winds of Time..."

A novelization of The Legend of Zelda- Ocarina of Time (Complete & Revised)

Click here for the audiobook edition.

• I used to think (or at least liked to think) that all bathrooms (restrooms, locker rooms, outhouses, loos, los baños) were physically located on a different planet called Bathroom World. Small bathrooms without a bathtubs were called "countries," small bathrooms with bathtubs were "mini-continents," large bathrooms like those in public places were "continents," and large locker rooms or rest stop bathrooms with several sections were "supercontinents." When we stepped through a door to a bathroom, we really stepped through a portal to another planet. And the air circulated from Earth through portals in the vents. Bathroom World was composed entirely of thousands of layers of interlocking bathrooms and pipes, and the planet's core was a condensed mass of intertwining pipes.

Basically, I was a strange child. I could post a novel in this thread.

The post was edited 1 time, last by EzloSpirit ().

• EzloSpirit wrote:

I used to think (or at least liked to think) that all bathrooms (restrooms, locker rooms, outhouses, loos, los baños) were physically located on a different planet called Bathroom World. Small bathrooms without a bathtubs were called "countries," small bathrooms with bathtubs were "mini-continents," large bathrooms like those in public places were "continents," and large locker rooms or rest stop bathrooms with several sections were "supercontinents." When we stepped through a door to a bathroom, we really stepped through a portal to another planet. And the air circulated from Earth through portals in the vents. Bathroom World was composed entirely of thousands of layers of interlocking bathrooms and pipes, and the planet's core was a condensed mass of intertwining pipes.

Basically, I was a strange child. I could post a novel in this thread.
      This sounds like the beginnings of a 3D Mario game. I'd play it.

I believed there was another world out there which is linked in some fashion with our own. It's something I picked up from stories like The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. You can get to the other world by various portals. I remember trying to find a way there in the woods when I was like six or so.

I don't know if I really believed it, but we engaged in some pretty hardcore Power Rangers roleplaying in those days. Never break character! Rita Repulsa is real, and she lives on the moon. I'm giving you facts as they are. If only I'd played ALttP sooner. It would have been more fun to pretend that the Dark World is real. ... ... ...

Brb, checking the woods for these:

• These things are placed on bridges, to tell drivers what direction the wind is coming from.
      Our dad told us they were for playing basket ball.

These were cloud factories.

We were told that the fire brigade started fires, instead of putting them out.

We had a very old and dusty attic (not the one pictured), with a secret hatch. Our dad told us his grandpa was living behind the hatch. My parents would occasionally go up there to 'feed grandpa.'
      When we moved to a new house, we even talked about leaving grandpa behind.

And then we were also told we had a brother and sister (Sander and Carolien) who ran away from home.

My dad had a vivid imagination.
      100% | Finished | Now playing:
      TLoZ | 2nd Q | TAoL | ALttP | LA | LA DX | OoT | OoT MQ | MM | OoA | OoS | ALttP (GBA) | FS | TWW | FSA | TMC | TP | LCT | PH | ST | OoT 3D | FS AE | SS | ALBW | MM 3D | TFH | TP HD | BotW
    • When I was a kid, I was terrified of butterflies, and thought flowers were butterflies that weren't moving, and could come alive at any minute and flutter away on you. I was the flower girl at my Mom's wedding and refused to carry the flowers because of that.

Now my son loves butterflies so much, he dressed up as one for Halloween. Ironic.

BotW Zelda in her purple Hylian Tunic, by my husband, DarkSilver.

"Breath of the Wild: "Zelda's Redemption" Chapter 3 now up!

After Calamity Ganon's defeat, a devastated Zelda must come to terms with her ruined kingdom, dead friends, and the resentment of the Hero who had saved her, but lost his fiancee. When all hope seems lost, she comes across a legend of a holy relic that can set things right, if she can find the ancient keys to access it. With the help of new friends, and without Link, can Zelda finally become a legend, on her own terms?
    • Wait, how old were you? What?

Violetlight wrote:

When I was a kid, I was terrified of butterflies, and thought flowers were butterflies that weren't moving, and could come alive at any minute and flutter away on you. I was the flower girl at my Mom's wedding and refused to carry the flowers because of that.
      That's amazing. But why were you terrified of butterflies? Hahah.
      Pronouns: He/Him

The post was edited 1 time, last by Max N. ().