Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    • Discussion
    2018 US Midterms Reactions thread
    • logicalpencils wrote:

MLK Jr. seems apt here:

"...The other force is one of bitterness and hatred, and it comes perilously close to advocating violence. It is expressed in the various black nationalist groups that are springing up across the nation, the largest and best known being Elijah Muhammad's Muslim movement. Nourished by the Negro's frustration over the continued existence of racial discrimination, this movement is made up of people who have lost faith in America, who have absolutely repudiated Christianity, and who have concluded that the white man is an incorrigible devil."

Oh and this reply when it was brought up back in July was just perfect:

Napstablook wrote:

that description of the left isn't inaccurate, and I say that as a leftist. Yes, I'm bitter. Yes, I hate the current establishment. I even advocate violence against oppressors in the name of liberation. I have no faith in this shithole country of America, I eschewed Christianity a long time ago, and the white man is most certainly the devil.

You knowingly removed the first half of his example.

Martin Luther King Jr wrote:

You speak of our activity in Birmingham as extreme. At fist I was ratherdisappointed that fellow clergymen would see my nonviolent efforts as those ofan extremist. I began thinking about the fact that stand in the middle of twoopposing forces in the Negro community. One is a force of complacency, made upin part of Negroes who, as a result of long years of oppression, are so drainedof self-respect and a sense of "somebodiness" that they have adjustedto segregation; and in part of a few middle class Negroes who, because of adegree of academic and economic security and because in some ways they profit bysegregation, have become insensitive to the problems of the masses. The otherforce is one of bitterness and hatred, and it comes perilously close toadvocating violence. It is expressed in the various black nationalist groupsthat are springing up across the nation, the largest and best-known being ElijahMuhammad's Muslim movement. Nourished by the Negro's frustration over thecontinued existence of racial discrimination, this movement is made up of peoplewho have lost faith in America, who have absolutely repudiated Christianity, andwho have concluded that the white man is an incorrigible "devil."

He then goes on to say;

I have tried to stand between these two forces, saying that we need emulateneither the "do-nothingism" of the complacent nor the hatred anddespair of the black nationalist. For there is the more excellent way of loveand nonviolent protest. I am grateful to God that, through the influence of theNegro church, the way of nonviolence became an integral part of our struggle.

It's pretty obvious that you're not arguing in good faith.
    • Yes I did include only a part knowingly, that's why I put an ellipsis at the beginning and linked to the discussion I was drawing it from. And I concur with MLK's message as I stated earlier, that we are to neither be complacent and idle nor violent and hateful. The way of love is indeed more excellent.

The reason I quoted only his statement concerning the latter attitude was because that was the part most applicable to the conversation -- people were expressing what appeared to be not just discontent or disagreement, but active hatred for the right and me specifically. I further supported that concern I had by showing a response (that was liked by four other individuals) from an earlier time where this MLK quote had come up.
    • Here is a nice summary of the tremendous Blue Wave on Tuesday!! I found this on reddit so I take no credit.

House (Biggest Democratic Net Gain Since Watergate!)
      1. VA-10 Jennifer Wexton
      2. FL-27 Donna Shalala
      3. PA-05 Mary Gay Scanlon
      4. CO-06 Jason Crow
      5. PA-17 Conor Lamb
      6. MN-03 Dean Phillips
      7. FL-26 Debbie Mucarsel-Powell
      8. NJ-11 Mickie Sherrill
      9. KS-03 Sharice Davids
      10. VA-02 Elaine Luria
      11. NY-11 Max Rose
      12. PA-07 Susan Wild
      13. PA-06 Chrissy Houlahan
      14. TX-32 Colin Allred
      15. MI-11 Haley Stevens
      16. IL-06 Sean Casten
      17. AZ-02 Ann Kirkpatrick
      18. VA-07 Abigail Spanberger
      19. NY-22 Anthony Brindisi
      20. IA-01 Abby Finkenauer
      21. TX-07 Lizzie Pannill Fletcher
      22. IA-03 Cindy Axne
      23. NY-19 Antonio Delgado
      24. OK-05 Kendra Horn
      25. NJ-02 Jeff Van Drew
      26. MN-02 Angie Craig
      27. IL-14 Lauren Underwood
      28. NJ-07 Tom Malinowski
      29. MI-08 Elissa Slotkin
      30. SC-01 Joe Cunningham
      31. CA-25 Katie Hill
      32. NJ-03 Andy Kim
      33. NM-02 Xochitl Torres Small
      34. CA-48 Harley Rouda
      35. CA-49 Mike Levin
      36. GA-06 Lucy McBath
      37. WA-08 Kim Schrier
      Additional races to watch for as votes continue to be tallied: UT-04, CA-10, CA-39, CA-45, ME-02, NC-09. California, in particular, takes a notoriously long time to tally votes-by-mail and release final vote counts. Between McAdams's lead in UT-04, Golden's chances with ranked-choice-voting in ME-02, and one or more of CA's districts flipping to us as votes-by-mail continue to be tallied, I think we have a great shot at flipping 40 R-held congressional seats to D!
      Additional races to watch: I'm hearing that Duncan Hunter & Chris Collins could serve possible jailtime for their indictments in the future, so there might be a couple of special elections we could capitalize on in the near future.

Governorships
      1. Michigan Gretchen Whitmer
      2. Illinois JB Pritzker
      3. Kansas Laura Kelly
      4. Maine Janet Mills
      5. New Mexico Michelle Lujan Grisham
      6. Nevada Steve Sisolak
      7. Wisconsin Tony Evers
      8. Guam Lou Leon Guerrero
      Additional Governor races to watch: Florida has a chance to head to a mandatory recount as additional votes continue to be rallied.
      Senate
      1. Nevada Jacky Rosen
      Additional Senate races to watch: Arizona reportedly has over 600k ballots left uncounted, whereas Florida has a chance to head to a mandatory recount as additional votes continue to be tallied.

State Legislatures
      1. Colorado State Senate
      2. New York State Senate
      3. New Hampshire State House
      4. New Hampshire State Senate
      5. Minnesota State House
      6. Maine State Senate
      Rough estimates put us at over 300 state-level seats flipped so far, and these are conservative estimates. We should be getting more complete data on state-level races in the upcoming week(s).

Attorneys General
      1. Colorado Phil Weiser
      2. Wisconsin Josh Kaul
      3. Michigan Dana Nessel
      4. Nevada Aaron Ford
      Secretaries of State
      1. Michigan Jocelyn Benson
      2. Colorado Jena Griswold
      Other races to watch: GA & LA's SoS races are heading into a run-off.
      State Treasurers
      1. Colorado Dave Young
      2. Wisconsin Sarah Godlewski
      We don't have complete information on other statewide races yet, but I'll continue to update this list as we continue to receive more information.
      State Supreme Courts
      1. North Carolina
      Ballot Measures
      1. Independent Redistricting 4 States (Utah, Missouri, Michigan, and Colorado) approved various independent redistricting measures that will overturn previously gerrymandered electoral maps.
      2. Felons' Rights Over 1 million Floridans had their rights to vote restored
      3. Medicaid Expansion 3 States (Idaho, Nebraska, and Utah) all voted in favor of medicaid expansion (Montana rejected it)
      4. Minimum Wage 2 States (Arkansas and Missouri voted to increase the minimum wage, giving raises to a combined total of 900,000 voters.
      5. Medical Marijuana 2 States (Utah and Missouri) voted to legalize medical marijuana, and Michigan voted to legalize marijuana altogether.
      6. Gun Control Washington now implements tighter restrictions on the purchase and ownership of firearms, including raising the minimum wage of gun ownership to 21.
      7. LGBT Rights Massachusetts now prohibits discrimination based on gender identity in public places (such as hotels, restaurants, and stores).
      8. Marsy's Law passed in 6 states (Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Nevada, North Carolina, and Oklahoma.)
      9. Same Day Voting Registration passed in Michigan and automatic voting passed in Nevada and Michigan, as well as voting straight ticket and requesting absentee ballot with no reason.

reddit.com/r/VoteBlue/comments…november_8th_2018/e9a5oe6

The post was edited 2 times, last by HeroOfTime5 ().