Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    What will be special about the next console (Switch) title?
    • BackSet-Chan wrote:

Now that I think about it, they haven't used the dual world thing in ages (no pun intended). And with BotW basically being a modern (but different) version of Zelda 1... then maybe we could be getting a modern open world version of AlttP next.
      By that train of thought they could always redo AoL...They find another shrine that has the Calamity Zelda in stasis, and Link goes on a quest to revive her, totally ignoring the existence of a current reigning princess. You know, like AoL.
    • BackSet-Chan wrote:

Now that I think about it, they haven't used the dual world thing in ages (no pun intended). And with BotW basically being a modern (but different) version of Zelda 1... then maybe we could be getting a modern open world version of AlttP next.
      I protest the notion of BoTW being "modern Zelda 1" because it doesn't revolve around finding the eight Triforce pieces. That said, I would be interested in a Zelda 1 reimagining that does the following:
      • Revisits the classic art style, but touched up a bit.
      • Includes towns.
      • Retains BotW's awesome climbing mechanic, equipment system, cooking system, and open-ended method of progression.
      • Features a somewhat large Hyrule, but maybe toned down a bit from BoTW.
      • Introduces Tools as a new item category, including shovels, pick axes, lanterns, fishing poles, bug nets, and pans.
      • Revises cooking so that now you can cook anywhere you can build a campfire as long as you have a pan, but meals have to be consumed on the spot.
      • Introduces Accessories as a new armor category, including rings, bracelets, pendants, and so forth.
      • Brings good ol' regular Bombs back, complete with their own bag. Bombchu and Remote Bombs could also appear.
      • Features the Zora, Gorons, Gerudo, Sheikah, and Rito. Eight tribes total would be cute, to match the number of Triforce pieces.
      • Zelda is no longer the damsel in distress but instead is your primary companion, helping you find the pieces of the Triforce of Wisdom which in turn will help you defeat Ganon. Like Link, Zelda can be equipped and customized. True to her original incarnation, she wears pink, but now wears more adventure-y clothes like BoTW's Zelda, though an updated version of the original dress could still appear in cutscenes and whatnot.
      • Introduces companions as a gameplay concept. In addition to Zelda, you can recruit virtually any NPC as an ally. Remember BotW's travelers? Now imagine being able to recruit them to accompany you. You can have up to two companions at a time besides Zelda.
      • Horses return, now maybe with new pegasus and unicorn variants. Horses have the best running speed, pegasi can fly for short periods of time, and unicorns can teleport, zap stuff, and protect you with a magical barrier.
      • Includes the Wood, White, and Magical Swords among the weapons you can find.
      • Brings back classic blue pig man Ganon, with trident and red armor.
      • Maybe set Zelda I and II closer together, with Link and Zelda being older in the first game accordingly?
    • BackSet-Chan wrote:

Especially not if you only count console-titles. Like, if we are only going to count that, the last stellar dual-world Zelda was Ocarina of Time. Twilight Princess had like a "semi-dual world", very limited both in terms of scope and time. After the third area you are basically done with all that. If we count portable Zelda we have ALBW, but that is in all fairness a semi-remake and nothing new.

I have always (kinda) been a proponent of the idea that the next natural step for Nintendo is to make "ALttP 2.0" after BotW. Not necessary the dual mechanics, but a modern title that takes the basics and groundwork from BotW and adds a lot more complexity to it, even if it will be at the expense of the "open air"-design. I like the openness in BotW, but it isn't necessary to take it that far. I think it would be better having "open world" at like 80 percent if they could put in more story (and not memories of the past) and more puzzle complexity (not having everything at the beginning).

But it is kind of huge to think that a big open overworld like that of BotW having a dual world mechanic, provided of course that enough change is done for that. Otherwise it will just feel like a filler and a way to artificially extend the game, and that is never good.

The post was edited 1 time, last by MVS ().

• Miles wrote:

BackSet-Chan wrote:

I protest the notion of BoTW being "modern Zelda 1" because it doesn't revolve around finding the eight Triforce pieces.

Come on, that feels like a real nitpick. When I say that BotW is like a modern Zelda 1, I obviously don't mean literally like it would be a remake or reimagining. That is obviously not the case. What I mean is just "a modern Zelda 1" and nothing else, for gameplay-reasons. Aonuma made it very clear that he took the main inspiration from the first game. Of course there will be differences, especially when BotW was made in 2017, and not in 1986. So different layouts, story, etc will be different. But both games are about exploration, openness and minimal handholding.
    • Granted. But I also like the general premise of finding the pieces of the Triforce as your main quest, and I'd be interested in a BotW-esque game revolving around that story, especially if it means Zelda gets to join the adventure. It would be similar to an idea I had for a comic/TV series where Link, Zelda, and Impa travel Hyrule in search of the eight Triforce pieces. Each time they find one, Zelda receives a vision that hints at where they should go next. During their journey, they meet all kinds of colorful characters and battle all kinds of monsters and villains. The issues/episodes would play out in mini arcs of roughly three parts, generally focused on a town, a dungeon, and the journey before, between, or after.

Canyarion wrote:

If they included a dual world, I wouldn't mind if they made the map smaller.
      I could see A Breath of the Past's Hyrule being about half the size of BotW's.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Miles ().

• Canyarion wrote:

Miles wrote:

Canyarion wrote:

I could see A Breath of the Past's Hyrule being about half the size of BotW's.
      Agree, as I have stated before... BotW's size isn't necessary. It is the content that is the most important. If a map that is half the size of BotW's, but has a lot more going on, more towns, dungeons, secrets, etc... would probably feel as big, if not bigger than that of BotW's. But at the same time - not going to lie - if Aonuma came out and proclaimed that the next title will be double or triple the size of BotW's, I would probably get pretty hyped, but skeptical at the same time. Especially if it will come out sooner rather than later.
    • Oh I do think it was necessary for BotW. To me, I loved knowing it was such a big world. If every area was 50% the size, it definitely would have hurt my experience. I love BotW as it is.

I just don't think they need it for the next game.
      100% | Finished | Now playing:
      TLoZ | 2nd Q | TAoL | ALttP | LA | LA DX | OoT | OoT MQ | MM | OoA | OoS | ALttP (GBA) | FS | TWW | FSA | TMC | TP | LCT | PH | ST | OoT 3D | FS AE | SS | ALBW | MM 3D | TFH | TP HD | BotW
    • Yeah, the thing about BotW is that it's a game about being, you know, in the wild. I know it's a fine line and that a lot of people were turned off by how big it was without being full of towns and quests and stuff, but there's a sort of contemplative-ness to the game. Wandering around in the different biomes, getting lost, finding caves, wondering what's over the next mountain, I loved it. I think the size was perfect for the tone the game was setting. That said, it definitely wouldn't work for all stories and I absolutely would get behind a smaller, more active world again.
      A dark chase requires a silent hound, and deep roots are not reached by the frost.
    • Canyarion wrote:

Oh I do think it was necessary for BotW. To me, I loved knowing it was such a big world. If every area was 50% the size, it definitely would have hurt my experience. I love BotW as it is.

I just don't think they need it for the next game.

GregariousTree wrote:

Yeah, the thing about BotW is that it's a game about being, you know, in the wild. I know it's a fine line and that a lot of people were turned off by how big it was without being full of towns and quests and stuff, but there's a sort of contemplative-ness to the game. Wandering around in the different biomes, getting lost, finding caves, wondering what's over the next mountain, I loved it. I think the size was perfect for the tone the game was setting. That said, it definitely wouldn't work for all stories and I absolutely would get behind a smaller, more active world again.

Well, I meant for the next game as well. The size for BotW specifically was fine, at least in BotW's current form and setting where Hyrule is for the most part destroyed. But I would still have preferred a Hyrule with way more and unique content... in such a world it can be way smaller if you ask me. Unfortunately BotW is really lacking in that department, and therefore it compensates by being very large instead. And as I said, it works for BotW, especially when it is Nintendo's first true modern big open world title... but more towns, more (good) NPCs, actual different themed dungeons that comes in different forms and sizes, more unique enemies plus bosses, and secrets (like caves) in general is really super important to me... and yes BotW is really lacking in that. If the next game has all of that, it can easily be 50 percent of BotW's map, especially if it is going to have some kind of dual world mechanic.

With that said, I am glad that BotW exists, since Aonuma & co had to start somewhere, and now they have an awesome base to continue from. And yeah, I still regard BotW as one of the better Zelda titles (perhaps in my top 3, at the very least top 5)... I am just vocal since I want the next title to be even better. Considering how much Aonuma has listened to fans' criticism as he worked on BotW, hopefully he has done the same for the upcoming title he is currently working on. So here is optimism.

The post was edited 1 time, last by MVS ().

• That’s why I think a second world will be perfect. Just taking the current map and adjusting it forward wouldn’t satisfy people regarding new content without adding a new map. They can take the current map, fast forward a century or so (not enough to change topography but definitely to change the civilization) and then add a golden realm/dark world/whatnot, make it about half the size of Hyrule, and they still could tout “50% larger than breath of the wild!”

With the landmass size being different, the trick will be to determine what part of the other land corresponds with hyrule whrn traversing back and forth.

They spent so much time building the engine, topography, etc, I don’t think they had time or desire to add a whole lot of narrative content. That’s why they need to build on what they have a title with hyrule starting to return to its former glory.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Castigear ().

• @Castigear I don't know if I like them simply "copy and paste" the current BotW-map and add and adjust a lot of stuff for their "light world". From my understanding, BotW's world was pretty much finished early on during development. According to them, they started to work on BotW "for real" in 2013, and at least in december 2014 it looks like the entire map was pretty much finished (but yeah, probably fairly unpolished)... and this was their first attempt to make something like this as a team. It was the physics engine that changed so much and led to the long delay (correct me if I am wrong). Considering that this is their second take on making an open world, I think it is fairly safe to believe that they will probably be faster in making the actual world. I think it was absolutely realistic of Aonuma to predict a 2015-release for BotW, if it wasn't for the physics engine. But don't take me wrong, I am glad that they delayed it since the physics is a key ingredient in BotW. But the point is... considering that they most likely will reuse the engine (which I am also sure that they have said)... the development of the next title should be way smoother, not necessarily quicker... but at least more effective.

But there is also another reason why I want them to make the world from scratch... and that is because I am a proponent of them letting Hyrule rest for at least one title. I want new regions and landmarks. It will also make Hyrule feel more fresh for the title after that.

The post was edited 2 times, last by MVS ().

• I understand the idea of wanting a new world like termina or koholint. Unfortunately to me those have always felt like side stories and while I enjoyed the gameplay of MM, I’ve always been a story first kind of guy, and I simply want to know what happens to hyrule next. If I want a title that doesn’t go that far into the future from BotW, then the landscape shouldn’t have changed that much.

Of course if they do what I say, I want the majority of the game to be in that other world, and maybe hyrule be part of a giant mini game where you help people rebuild.

So I guess my reasoning isn’t about speed, it’s about simply what I want from a narrative perspective...which as we all know is never Nintendo’s focus.
    • I guess the three things that I'd prioritize in the next Zelda title would be a larger world size, or at least a similarly sized one that's far more populated, another world mechanic, and something drastically different in terms of story. And something I've noticed is sorely missing through the bit of BotW I've seen and played (fuck, it sucks that I can't play it because I don't have a Switch) is that there's a bit of lacking dimensionality in the map design. There's not a lot of caves or passages through areas, pretty much everything is above ground.

Which is lacking a bit in comparison to other AAA open world RPGs like the Elder Scrolls series. Where there's not just camps of enemies. There's also things like mines, underground or hidden passageways. Those were even present in Ocarina of Time with the shortcuts to Zora's Domain or Goron City in the Lost Woods.

Maybe they could pull something from the WW/PH games and have a sailing or ocean mechanic. You could do something cool and have it be named "The Legend of Zelda: Winds of Tranquility" or something like that. Have sky ships and sailors in the Hyrulean sky. Reintroduce song mechanics with something really cool like a lute. And to churn things up for the final boss/enemy of the game, have the final segment of the story take place in a sky castle. Or palace of the winds. Or whatever you want to call it.

That'd give Nintendo the opportunity to revisit a lot of cool ideas and mechanics from the series in the past in a fresh and new way, and give lots of opportunities to explore the lore of the series and Hyrulian cosmology.
      I AM TAKANUVA, TOA OF LIGHT!

You'll be hearing my name someday, whenever people talk about heroes - Takua!