Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    Oracle games misplaced in the timeline?
    • So, in official artwork in ALTTP, Link appears to be either in his early teens or mid teens since people still treat him like a kid but he has a mature face. He had a young link voice in the GBA games but the artwork suggests that he looks no younger than a teen.

Then, there's Link's Awakening and in his official artwork, he looks about the same age as he was in ALTTP in that game.

Then, here comes a design that I have problems with: The Oracle Games design

This design looks around the same age as Young Link in OOT due to the similar designs. He looks like he's about 9-10. In the timeline, the oracle games take place after ALTTP and now since they got BOTW in there, they considered having the Oracle Games happen after LA and ALTTP. I heard that the Oracle, ALTTP, and LA games have the same Link in them so, why does Link younger here than he does in the other two games? Shouldn't the Oracle games happen before the two mentioned games did? This confuses me and it doesn't make sense to suddenly de-age Link unless something happened that reversed his age in either one of those games (I haven't played LA yet). I'm close to beating ALTTP and I don't see anything that could've made him age backwards.
    • Fal Cie wrote:

The placement of the oracle games had been met with a bit of scrutiny, not because of Link's appearance but because Zelda acts as though she's never met him and nobody brings up his prior adventure.

The placement was changed so that ALttP/LA and OoA/OoS featured different Links in Hyrule Encyclopedia, which is one that I agree with.
      I haven't played the oracle games before so I don't know how the characters act in it.
    • Fal Cie wrote:

The placement was changed so that ALttP/LA and OoA/OoS featured different Links in Hyrule Encyclopedia, which is one that I agree with.
      I know this is a bit of an old thread but the localized version of Hyrule Encyclopedia, Zelda Encyclopedia changed it again where OoX Link is the same Link as the one in ALttP and LA again. But still keeping OoX after LA.

My personal headcanon placement for OoX as of recent as for the most part been after OoT with the same Link from that game due to that one, it explains his age better, two, he's more similar in design to OoT Link than ALttP. Especially with the face, the collar of his tunic, the barely noticed short sleeves on his green tunic, and the red belt. Also, the official North American commercial for OoX used his OoT design.
    • The placement of the Oracle games has always been a major topic of debate. Before any official timeline was released, we were told they could basically fit anywhere.

We can nitpick many details for weeks (and we have). The truth is that the placement of the Oracle games does not make logical sense. The timeline has holes, and this isn't the only one. They are continuous reminders that Nintendo really does not care about the timeline half as much as fans do.
    • Joshua wrote:

The placement of the Oracle games has always been a major topic of debate. Before any official timeline was released, we were told they could basically fit anywhere.

We can nitpick many details for weeks (and we have). The truth is that the placement of the Oracle games does not make logical sense. The timeline has holes, and this isn't the only one. They are continuous reminders that Nintendo really does not care about the timeline half as much as fans do.
      Sad, but so unfortunately so true. :(

The post was edited 1 time, last by PJC ().