Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    • TV
    The Doctor Who Thread: Sorting Out Fair Play throughout the Universe
    • I don't understand how there isn't already a Doctor Who thread.

Instead of making a big post from the get-go explaining my whole history with the series...I'm really making this now because I want to discuss the Series 11 opener!

(Spoilers are fair game; however, please put potential Series 11 spoilers in spoiler tags for now. If you don't want to be spoiled, just be careful.)

For those of you have seen The Woman Who Fell to Earth, which premiered today worldwide, what did you think?

Personally, I was very pleased with the episode! It has a different style from Moffat's right from the start. The character development, with particular regard to the Companions, is superb, much deeper than anything Chibnall's predecessor wrote. (Character is always my favorite aspect of fiction.) There's some great thrills, too, in what turned out to be an unexpectedly dark episode overall. The villain is interesting—although I have read reviews stating it to be derivative of Predator, which I have never seen, so the concept was actually interesting and new to me. Grace was my favorite character in the episode, and I really hope she comes back somehow. What really struck me among the characters was Ryan's dyspraxia: it is extremely gratifying to see people with developmental differences being represented. As for Jodie, she was surprisingly not a major focus of the episode, and I didn't get a deep sense of her character yet. Which is fine! Oh, and the music is completely different from Murray Gold's, going much more for atmosphere over cinematics. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet, as Murray Gold's scores were always breathtaking, but I do know that the music lent to the mood of the episode well.

It was a strong opener, and I'm really optimistic for the rest of the series. That was my stream-of-consciousness evaluation.

What about you? What did you think?
      [Short Stories] | [EzloSpirit's Hub] | [Latest ZUCast Episode]
      Gender-neutral pronouns, please!
      | Blue Rupee Patron
      Current Adoptee: Zaynock
      [This space reserved for the April Writing Contest.]
    • I tapped out of Doctor Who early in Capaldi's run (not fault of his), but my abiding love for Broadchurch has brought me back for at least this first episode.

I liked Jodie Whittaker's take on the Doctor a whole lot. Still some room to settle into it, but the childlike wonder and focus on the individuals around her were great.

To the same token, focusing the premiere and introduction of this iteration of the show by making it a smaller story about saving just one person rather than a whole world/universe/whatever was a great choice and one that hopefully portends to smaller but more emotionally satisfying storytelling.

The episode LOOKED great with some great direction and cinematography. The editing was a bit rough.

The companions all having established relationships with one another is another smart move, especially as those relationships aren't ones that limit growth and change. Having a larger cast of companions also should create a better overall arc to the seasons as there's more relationships and dynamics to track and explore over the course of the wider series.

I'm generally optimistic about the show moving forward. I'll try to stick with it for another couple episodes and see if it grabs me more.
    • I missed The Woman Who Fell to Earth but I'm watching The Ghost Monument right now...

Loving Jodie Whittaker so far! I checked out after Capaldi's first season so I'm excited to get back into Doctor Who. Kind of feel a bit lost at the moment re: the companions since I missed the first episode so I'll have to go back and watch that one.
    • I just finished watching "Rosa" about 10 minutes ago, and I'm still reeling. (Vague spoilers ahead.)

Only one other episode of television has caused me to cry so far, and that was "The Angels Take Manhattan." But this was happy-crying. So beautiful, so powerful. Such a wonderful tribute to one of the most wonderful women and one of the most wonderful activists who ever lived.

I loved the interactions between Ryan and Rosa—can we also discuss how convincing Vinette's accent was?—and almost started crying right then and there when they waved goodbye to each other.

This was a very timely (unfortunately) and very brave script, and as a Caucasian, I think they pulled this off respectfully. I'd love to hear from American (or otherwise) people of color, though, particularly with regards to the script's treatment of such important black icons as Rosa Parks and Dr. King, as well as the to relatability/accuracy of Yaz and Ryan's conversation outside the motel, which I found to be powerful and timely.

EDIT (27 October): Just rewatched the episode, and I almost cried all over again.
      | Blue Rupee Patron

The post was edited 1 time, last by EzloSpirit ().

• Just watched "It Takes You Away". I'm really not quite sure what the hell just happened, but it looked great, had some primo dialogue, and made my head hurt. And also made me feel strangely happy. I think this is one I'll have to watch a second time to make heads or tails of, as so much happens in those 49 minutes that I don't think I kept up the whole time.
      | Blue Rupee Patron
    • We're almost halfway out of the dark, fam!

As you probably know, there's no Christmas special this year, the first time there hasn't been one since the program(me) returned in 2005. Chibs—this is apparently an actual nickname he has on set lol—explained that it's because every possible idea for a Christmas episode has already been done. What are your feelings about the lack of a Christmas special this year?

As a Jew who doesn't "do" Christmas—and in fact holds bitter resentment towards the holiday as a result of years of feelings of alienation among a majority Christian nation—I've always had mixed feelings about Who Christmas specials. On the one hand: an extra episode, and an extended one at that. On the other hand: ...Christmas lol. RTD's specials were typically extremely secular and only used Christmas as a relatively minor plot device. Moffat's were, especially earlier on, very much the opposite. It took me almost ten viewings to warm up to "A Christmas Carol," and even now I just like it for the interesting twists on Dickens' novel and Katherine Jenkins' performance of Murray Gold's gorgeous song at the end. (Also, Sir Michael's performance. I've cringed at Dumbledore ever since lol.)

I'm looking forward to "Resolution," though! I'm about 50% confident that we'll see the return of a classic monster, which would be a lot of fun. Plus, it's a celebration of the new year, which is more (though still not entirely) universal than Christmas. And I just want more Jodie and friends; Series 11 was too short!
      | Blue Rupee Patron