Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    • Multi
    Rainbow Six Siege
    • A thread to discuss one of the best mp games right now

Been playing it consistently with my friends @Dark Link Reigns and @Ty.

If you don’t know what siege is it’s mp only tactical FPS that has been supported very well by Ubisoft and each match is like a sandbox of possibilities outcomes and decisions

It’s not exactly the most accessible game but it’s very rewarding
    • I've got enough renown to buy 3 of the DLC operators. It takes a bit, but if you actually like playing the game, you'll unlock pretty much all the operators you want before too long.

I get some people might not be into it, but I'm happy with it.

The operators are for the most part balanced enough that it's not pay to win, and my favourite operators are all the OG ones for the most part. My go to are Sledge, Ash, Castle and Ela.
    • Ty. wrote:

Like completely free to play?
      No, if the game were free I'd be fine with their model. I bought the game recently, and I only have 3 defense and 3 offense characters to chose from. The game obviously has a lot more than that, but in order to get them you have to grind to get the points which takes a ridiculous amount of time, or buy points. The characters in this game I would say are at least half the content, probably even more than that, and they're all effectively locked behind a pay wall.

I like games like Overwatch, I think their models make sense. I hate seeing this model in siege.
      It's a shame to ruin such a beautiful morning by being awake

-Bill Watterson
    • yah i have like... four operators i can play as lmao. my friends have to pick around me because of it. i like the game, but i hate being seriously limited in who i can play and i'm hella bad so grinding will take me ten thousand years. and also an obvious big advantage of playing a bunch is knowing the map layouts. i have no idea where anything is. i get shot through walls, hatches, and windows on the regular :'(
    • Haha, yeah it takes so long to figure the maps out. I'm still kinda struggling here and there. You definitely get used to it as you play more, but I found them to be kinda complicated.

I'm sitting on 60k renown right now, and I'm not sure who to unlock. I'm really leaning towards maverick. I only really use sledge on Offence because I like a quick and quiet breach. So I've struggled to find anyone else I actually wanna use. Haha.

I'm also thinking of picking up Lesion. He's kind of similar to Ela in setup, but I like that they have to actually stop to take out the poison thing. I dunno.
    • pj777 wrote:

Ty. wrote:

Like completely free to play?
      No, if the game were free I'd be fine with their model. I bought the game recently, and I only have 3 defense and 3 offense characters to chose from. The game obviously has a lot more than that, but in order to get them you have to grind to get the points which takes a ridiculous amount of time, or buy points. The characters in this game I would say are at least half the content, probably even more than that, and they're all effectively locked behind a pay wall.
      I like games like Overwatch, I think their models make sense. I hate seeing this model in siege.
      Not to be rude but it's only like that because you bought a cheap version of the game. That's not the games fault to be honest.

And honestly, I'm sitting at almost 100,000 renown. It doesnt take that long to rack up renown.

To be honest I prefer having something to work towards with unlocking operators. Overwatch is boring in that respect to me.

Also, the fact you dont actually have to use real world money to buy new operators and can earn in game currency to buy new operators is super rare in games these days.

Sig & Avvy by Lady Sunshine, the most wonderful girl in the world
    • I think my version of the game (the standard edition) came with them all unlocked (after a patch). There's also a "lite" version which is discounted at the cost of a few operators.

I can understand if some people aren't into that though. Blaz Blu cross tag sort of did that. Not exactly the same scenario, but similar. You can't just play to unlock them unfortunately.

I do like the idea of being able to buy a "lite version" basically for cheap and unlocking them through playing it. Honestly, if I didn't already have the game, and I wasn't sure if I was going to be into it, I'd get the cheapest version of the game and just unlock interesting operators as I go.

But also, I'm the guy who still only uses sledge and he's the first friggin operator. So what do I know. Haha.

I'd be pretty happy if Ubi used this model for most of the games, I think it's brilliant.
    • ^

I wasn't aware of the difference in the editions. It makes a little more sense. I still don't approve of the model overall. Locking content behind a paywall in an online competitive game is imo always a bad idea. I just like an even playing field is all, at least in games where you have to pay for it up front. FTP's a different story.

I am getting into the game slowly, I don't know if it'll stick for me in the long run, but what I've played so far is pretty good. It takes awhile to shift from the normal online shooter mentality to get into this one, that's the issue I have with it right now.
      It's a shame to ruin such a beautiful morning by being awake

-Bill Watterson
    • pj777 wrote:

^

I wasn't aware of the difference in the editions. It makes a little more sense. I still don't approve of the model overall. Locking content behind a paywall in an online competitive game is imo always a bad idea. I just like an even playing field is all, at least in games where you have to pay for it up front. FTP's a different story.

I am getting into the game slowly, I don't know if it'll stick for me in the long run, but what I've played so far is pretty good. It takes awhile to shift from the normal online shooter mentality to get into this one, that's the issue I have with it right now.
      Again, it's not strictly behind a paywall (unless you still consider in-game currency as a paywall).

It also doesn't take horribly long to get renown. I will admit that they certainly could have done a bit better with how much you get after each match as it can feel like a slog at first to unlock some operators but it's definitely not terrible.

That mentality is tough to break if you've been playing games like Overwatch lol. Rainbow 6 is a very tactical game at its core and requires a lot more reliance on teammates then your typical online multiplayer shooter.

Once you get the feel for it and if you can play with a team of 2-3 guys that you can communicate with, then you can really start racking up some wins.

I just checked my stats on rainbow 6's site and I've played 175 hours of siege since I got it. Most of that time has probably been in like the last few months playing with Ty and JP.

• I picked up Maverick last night. I think I still prefer Sledge. You just can't beat how quickly and how quietly he can breach a room.

But I gotta say, Maverick might be my go to second pick. I've only used his default weapon. The single fire one. But it's decently powerful and the recoil is minimum.

I like running a silencer with him, since part of [my] strategy is make very small murder hole (his blowtorch is pretty quiet), and take people out before the notice where the bullets are coming from.

I'm guessing he'll be tweaked a bit, possibly make the torch a little louder, or make it take longer to breach. Always gotta fine tune the new operators a bit.
    • I spent all night last night saying how I was going to buy an operator.

I even narrowed it down to a couple.

I still have not bought one yet.

I want to buy Lesion but SO many people use him that I feel like I would just be wasting money as I would either:

a) Never get him

b) Get him but get team killed by some guy who wants him that badly

The only thing swaying me to the fact that I might still get him is the fact that I seem to get team killed regardless of who I pick.

And no Ty, I will not buy Blackbeard. I'd rather keep getting shot in the head right off the bat then sink down to that level.