Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    (BOTW) Traysi and the Gorons
    • Just a quick question, could someone provide me with the text that the character Traysi says in the English version when researching the two Gorons in Gerudo Town after you clamed Vah Naboris, as well as what the two Gorons say?

A while back I was talking about the text in this bit on this very forum on a thread about Gorons and gender, but I didn't realize at the time how much the text was possibly changed in English.

If Zelda wiki isn't wrong, in English, Traysi says:

"Male Gorons seem to have no trouble getting into Gerudo Town..."

whereas in the German and Japanese versions I know, she says something along the lines of:

"It seems the Gorons are considered female by the Gerudo"

I am curious to see if the latter line is in the English version at all, and if not, what else was changed. From what I have seen in general, the English version seems to be a lot less loyal to the Japanese text than the German one.
    • Just going by memory, I've never encountered "It seems the Gorons are considered female by the Gerudo" before. I recall something like the first line, though I don't recall Traysi identifying the Gorons as male.
      Goddess of the Sands

Map of Thyphlo Ruins

Forest Architects

If you have Amiibo Tap: Nintendo's Greatest Bits on Wii U, you can reset which games your amiibo unlock by deleting the game and then redownloading it.
    • I went to Gerudo Town real quick and here is the dialogue...

Traysi: Male Gorons seem to have no trouble getting into Gerudo Town...
      Lyndae: Sav'otta! Hah! I got it!
      Lyndae: I was really shy, being all by myself and surrounded by girls like that. Being honest... Even with Strade here, I still feel pretty shy...
      Strade: I made it all the way to Gerudo Town! But I'm not sure why they let me in...
    • Thank you very much for your replies!

I'm still trying to find the full dialouges in Japanese, so far I've only found Traysi's and Strade's. So for Lyndae I only know the German and English versions, though note that so far, the German was always almost exactly the same as Japanese.

In Japanese, Strade's dialouge also references the ambigious nature of Gorons' genders.

Strade: I... made a friend, goro. But... is this... A boy friend, goro? Or a girl friend, goro?

Note that Lyndae is also called "Gadorin" in Japanese, which is a gender-neutral sounding name ("Lyndae" was probably chosen for this reason, too) and uses the first-person pronoun "boku", which is masculine, but is also used by girls these days. So the character probably intentionally invokes an ambigiuous vibe.

In German, Lyndae's line is fairly similar to English actually, but with this proper context, the idea of Lyndae still feeling shy even with Strade being there could be another hint at the gender ambiguity, as it could mean that Strade isn't that different from the women. But this might be stretching it a little.

But that aside, the simple fact that the "Gorons are considered female here" and "wondering of Lyndae is a girl or not" lines were changed, and seemingly not just via mistranslation, implies a level of censorship for me, which is a shame.
    • kaialone wrote:

In Japanese, Strade's dialouge also references the ambigious nature of Gorons' genders.

Strade: I... made a friend, goro. But... is this... A boy friend, goro? Or a girl friend, goro?
      I thought you said that was what it said in German?

...And now I'm mildly interested in how other translations handled this.
    • Nitro Indigo wrote:

I thought you said that was what it said in German?
      ...And now I'm mildly interested in how other translations handled this.

In the German version that line is pretty much identical to the original Japanese.

When it comes to recent Zelda titles, the German version is usually a lot closer to the Japanese than the English version is, though of course they also make mistakes and occasional changes here and there.

I am told this is true for pretty much all translations cept the English one, which seems to be the only one that literally changes things in most of the lines, sometimes minor sometimes major, not counting simple errors.

However, I cannot really confirm this latter part myself, as I only know German, English, and enough of Japanese to understand a game meant to be played by children.