Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    Pinned
    List of Mistranslations
    • The idea for this thread came from @Ganon Vader.

This thread is a theorising resource that catalogues mistranslations that could cause someone to misinterpret the plot, or completely change the original meaning. To submit an entry, please give both the official English translation (in the case of Spirit Tracks and Tri Force Heroes, please specify which one), and a direct translation of the original Japanese, with a source, as well as any relevant information from elsewhere in the game.

I accept mistranslations from things other than canon games!

A Link to the Past
      The Master Sword was made before Ganon's rise to power.

The English manual says it was made in response to Ganon...

Manual (Nintendo of America) wrote:

Suspecting that Ganon's power was based on the Triforce's magic, the people of Hyrule forged a sword resistant to magic which could repulse even powers granted by the Triforce. This mighty weapon became known as the blade of evil's bane, or the Master Sword.

...But it was actually made in case any evil misused the Triforce.

Manual (Zethar-II) wrote:

However, it could not be assumed that only a good person would get their hands on the Triforce. For that reason, the people of Hyrule were told by the gods to make something that would repulse any evil that may kidnap the Triforce: the blade of evil's bane.

Ocarina of Time
      Kaepora Gaebora isn't dying in the Spirit Temple.

The English translation makes it sound like he is.

Kaepora Gaebora (NOA) wrote:

Maybe it's not my time anymore. Here is my last advice.

Rauru (Jumbie) wrote:

I should keep out of your affairs by now. So, my last advice.
      Ganondorf was sealed beyond the Sacred Realm.

The translator seems to have misinterpreted this phrasing in the scene where Link wakes up as an adult.

Kaepora Gaebora (Mido128) wrote:

When the power of the Seven Sages is awakened... The Sages' Seal will close all of the evil power up in the beyond...

Rauru (Nintendo of America) wrote:

When the power of all the Sages is awakened... The Sages' Seals will contain all the evil power in the void of the Realm...

This misinterpretation continues shortly before Sheik reveals her identity...

Sheik (Mido128) wrote:

I will lure Ganondorf into the seal which the Six Sages opened, and close it from this world...

Sheik (Nintendo of America) wrote:

The six Sages will open the sealed door and lure Ganondorf back into the Sacred Realm. I will then seal the door to the Sacred Realm from this world.
      (Notice how Japanese Sheik doesn't specify where the seal is?)

...And right before Ganondorf is sealed at the end...

Rauru (Mido128) wrote:

Ancient gods who created Hyrule! Open the sealed door now and entomb the evil incarnation of darkness beyond the realm of the dead!!

Rauru (Nintendo of America) wrote:

Ancient Creators of Hyrule! Now, open the sealed door and send the Evil Incarnation of Darkness into the void of the Evil Realm!!
      ...And when Zelda talks to Link in the sky at the end.

Zelda (Mido128) wrote:

Thank you, Link - Thanks to your power, Ganondorf has been sealed in the world of darkness. Now this world will once again begin a time of peace.

Zelda (Nintendo of America) wrote:

Thank you, Link... Thanks to you, Ganondorf has been sealed inside the Evil Realm! Thus, peace will once again reign in this world...for a time.

This seems more like censorship than a mistranslation.

Majora's Mask
      The Fierce Deity isn't evil.

FDM description (gamtos) wrote:

You got the Fierce Deity’s Mask!
      The demon (oni) mask worn by demons (oni)?
      The English translation turns this into "Could it contain dark powers as bad as Majora?", but...

gamtos wrote:

"Tag" is called Oni Gokko in Japanese, and means "Pretending to be a demon". The mask, to the child, simply means that Link is "it" in their game of "tag". The Japanese version does not make the FDM out to be evil at all.
      So, a better way to put it would be:

gamtos wrote:

As you're the one chasing (the "oni"), the mask description, to a Japanese person, basically reads:
      "So if I'm 'it' in this tag game, do I have to wear this mask to show I'm 'it'?"

The Wind Waker
      Ganondorf's mazoku (demon tribe) was sealed by the Master Sword.

The English translation says that the seal was on his magic.

Ganondorf (Nintendo of America) wrote:

Foolish child. While that sword is indeed the blade of evil's bane, at the same time, it has long played another role... You see, it is also a sort of key... a most wretched little key that has kept the seal on me and my magic intact!
      In Japanese...

Ganondorf (Jacensolo06) wrote:

That sword is the Anti-Demon Sword that repels demons. However, it is also the annoying seal that was sealing my Mazoku.

Note: Ganondorf refers to the monsters as his mazoku. This literally means "Demon Tribe" or "Demon Race". The mazoku would be those he commands as the maou (Demon King).

Ganondorf (Baton of the Wind) wrote:

That sword, in addition to being a anti-demon sword which repels evil, it was also the damned seal on my demon tribe!

The Hero of Time left the Adult Timeline.

According to The Baton of the Wind, the wording in the English translation was used as evidence for linear timeline theories.

King Daphnes (Nintendo of America) wrote:

That sacred piece is known as the Triforce of Courage. When the Hero of Time was called to embark on another journey and left the land of Hyrule, he was separated from the elements that made him a hero. It is said that at that time, the Triforce of Courage was split into eight shards and hidden throughout the land.
      The underlined part could refer to Majora's Mask. The intention is completely different in the Japanese version:

King Daphnes (Baton of the Wind) wrote:

It is said the Triforce of courage was left behind when the hero of time left Hyrule travelling through time which separated him from that which had made him a hero, and it was split into 8 shards and was scattered across the land.

Twilight Princess
      The ancient sages weren't Zelda's tutors.

Auru (Nintendo of America) wrote:

The sages... Those sages once served the royal family, actually. They were appointed as tutors to the young Princess Zelda.

Auru was.

Auru (jacensolo06) wrote:

The truth is, I used to serve the Hyrule Royal Family by being the one appointed to educate Princess Zelda when she was young.

Spirit Tracks
      The pirates weren't present during the backstory.

The American translation makes it sound like they were.

Niko (Nintendo of America) wrote:

It's the tale of the first settlers of this land.

...But it actually refers to the people who lived there before it became New Hyrule.

Niko (Kaialone) wrote:

A tale from the time when people were born in this land.

This was corrected in the British translation.

Niko (Nintendo of Europe) wrote:

It's the tale of the first people of this land.

Zelda's powers came from Old Hyrule.

In the American English translation, Byrne says that her powers come from the Spirits.

Byrne (Nintendo of America) wrote:

Your body has the sacred power of the spirits!

The Japanese version doesn't specify where it comes from in this scene.

Byrne (Kaialone) wrote:

Isn´t there sacred power dwelling in your body?!
      This wasn't corrected in the British translation.

In all versions, Anjean says her powers come from Old Hyrule when Link and Zelda first meet her.

Anjean (Nintendo of America) wrote:

A vessel from the royal line of ancient Hyrule, with sacred power coursing through its veins.

(This line is the same in the British translation.)

Anjean (Kaialone) wrote:

Indeed, it´s you, Princess Zelda.

Your family´s far distant home land, the old kingdom of Hyrule…
      Sacred power was passed down from generation to generation in its royal family…

Breath of the Wild

Calamity Ganon came into being because Ganon refused to give up on reincarnation.

Zelda (Clyde Mandelin) wrote:

This form was born from his obsessive refusal to give up on revival…
      The English translation states the opposite.

Zelda (Nintendo of America) wrote:

He has given up on reincarnation and assumed his pure, enraged form.
    • You should fix the second line to only incorporate the localized, in the quote you posted

Ganondorf wrote:

By the way, boy... When you drew that sword of yours out of its resting place... Did you by chance notice how all of the monsters frozen in time down there suddenly began stirring again?

Do you understand precisely what that means? ...I highly doubt you do.

Foolish child. While that sword is indeed the blade of evil's bane, at the same time, it has long played another role... You see, it is also a sort of key... a most wretched little key that has kept the seal on me and my magic intact!

Something you should be aware of is that most translations are laid out with all three versions at once, like so:

Ganondorf wrote:

我が名はガノンドロフこの魔獣島の主だ。
      My name is Ganondorf, the lord of this Beast Island.
      My name is Ganondorf... And I am the master of Forsaken Fortress.
      In order, Japanese, translated, and localized.

The post was edited 1 time, last by EnigmaFarce ().

• - The ALTTP manual and when the Master Sword was created (zeldalegends.net/view/text/z3t…tion/z3_manual_story.html)

- OOT mistranslated where Ganondorf was sealed. (reddit.com/r/truezelda/comments/5b393i/the_sages_seal/)

- TP frequently mistranslates "darkness" as "shadow". (reddit.com/r/truezelda/comment…hould_yami_be_translated/)
      "The (Star Wars) EU is a bloated, wretched mess."
      - Jedi Master Sagan
    • @Ganon Vader The last one is more of an embellishment than a mistake.

Also, could you please point out what mistranslations you're talking about? There's a lot on that A Link to the Past one. As for the Ocarina of Time one, I know it's the part where Mido128 talks about the void/beyond the realm and the afterlife, but how do I paraphrase that concisely?
    • @Ganon Vader That link opens as a download. I'll add it soon, but I'm still not sure how to word the OOT one. Something about the Realm of the Dead?

EDIT: On second thoughts... I've decided not to put it on there. Translating "long ago" as "three or four generations ago" won't cause anyone to misinterpret the plot.
    • (Japanese) 七人の賢者の力が 目覚めし時… 賢者の封印は すべての 悪しき力を その彼方に 閉じこめる…

(fan translation) When the power of the Seven Sages is awakened... The Sages' Seal will close all of the evil power up in the beyond...

( American version) When the power of all the Sages is awakened... The Sages' Seals will contain all the evil power in the void of the Realm...

(Japanese) 六賢者たちが開いた 封印に ガノンドロフを 引き込み、 私が こちらの世界から閉じる…

(fan translation) I will lure Ganondorf into the seal which the Six Sages opened, and close it from this world...

(American version) The six Sages will open the sealed door and lure Ganondorf back into the Sacred Realm. I will then seal the door to the Sacred Realm from this world.

(Japanese) ハイラルを 創りたまいし 古代の 神々よ! 今こそ 封印の扉 開きて 邪悪なる 闇の化身を 冥府の彼方へ 葬りたまえ!!

(fan translation) Ancient gods who created Hyrule! Open the sealed door now and entomb the evil incarnation of darkness beyond the realm of the dead!!

(American version) Ancient Creators of Hyrule! Now, open the sealed door and send the Evil Incarnation of Darkness into the void of the Evil Realm!!

(Japanese) ありがとう リンク? あなたの力で ガノンドロフは 闇の世界に 封印されました。 これで この世界も ふたたび 平和な時を 刻み始めるでしょう。

(fan translation) Thank you, Link - Thanks to your power, Ganondorf has been sealed in the world of darkness. Now this world will once again begin a time of peace.

(American version) Thank you, Link... Thanks to you, Ganondorf has been sealed inside the Evil Realm! Thus, peace will once again reign in this world...for a time.
      - Jedi Master Sagan

The post was edited 1 time, last by Ganon Vader ().

• Nitro Indigo wrote:

@Ganon Vader That link opens as a download. I'll add it soon, but I'm still not sure how to word the OOT one. Something about the Realm of the Dead?

EDIT: On second thoughts... I've decided not to put it on there. Translating "long ago" as "three or four generations ago" won't cause anyone to misinterpret the plot.
      "Three or four generations ago" contradicts the manual, which says, "centuries". Also, things like the Hylian bloodlines thinning, needing the Book of Mudora to read Seal-War-era Hylian, and people not remembering the Seal War don't make sense if it happened that recently.
      - Jedi Master Sagan

The post was edited 1 time, last by Ganon Vader ().

• Ganon Vader wrote:

(Japanese) 七人の賢者の力が 目覚めし時… 賢者の封印は すべての 悪しき力を その彼方に 閉じこめる…

(fan translation) When the power of the Seven Sages is awakened... The Sages' Seal will close all of the evil power up in the beyond...

( American version) When the power of all the Sages is awakened... The Sages' Seals will contain all the evil power in the void of the Realm...

(Japanese) 六賢者たちが開いた 封印に ガノンドロフを 引き込み、 私が こちらの世界から閉じる…

(fan translation) I will lure Ganondorf into the seal which the Six Sages opened, and close it from this world...

(American version) The six Sages will open the sealed door and lure Ganondorf back into the Sacred Realm. I will then seal the door to the Sacred Realm from this world.

(Japanese) ハイラルを 創りたまいし 古代の 神々よ! 今こそ 封印の扉 開きて 邪悪なる 闇の化身を 冥府の彼方へ 葬りたまえ!!

(fan translation) Ancient gods who created Hyrule! Open the sealed door now and entomb the evil incarnation of darkness beyond the realm of the dead!!

(American version) Ancient Creators of Hyrule! Now, open the sealed door and send the Evil Incarnation of Darkness into the void of the Evil Realm!!

(Japanese) ありがとう リンク? あなたの力で ガノンドロフは 闇の世界に 封印されました。 これで この世界も ふたたび 平和な時を 刻み始めるでしょう。

(fan translation) Thank you, Link - Thanks to your power, Ganondorf has been sealed in the world of darkness. Now this world will once again begin a time of peace.

(American version) Thank you, Link... Thanks to you, Ganondorf has been sealed inside the Evil Realm! Thus, peace will once again reign in this world...for a time.
      Who says these lines, and in what context?
    • - NOA used to forbid references to religion. This resulted in Temples being called "Palaces" in the American versions of AOL and ALTTP, Triforce of the Gods being called A Link to the Past in America, "Priest" getting changed to "Wizard" in Agahnim's case and "Loyal Sage" for the character who protects Zelda, "Church" getting changed to "Sanctuary", and the Sacred Realm being called the "Golden Land"
      - In the Japanese version of OOT, Koume and Kotake are Ganondorf's "foster mothers", but the American version says that they're his "surrogate mothers". What the translators didn't realize is that "surrogate mother" implies a medical procedure that I doubt exists in a medieval fantasy setting.
      - Jedi Master Sagan
    • For a long time, people used a line in TWW to suggest a linear time line - as opposed to a split time line - which was actually slightly altered in the NoA version. It was when the king of red lions was telling Link about the legend of the hero of time. I would have to find the actual lines but it was along the lines of:

Japanese: "He left Hyrule travelling through time"
      NoA: "He left Hyrule and travelled through time"
    • I looked through your translation thread, and found this:
      それは、勇気のトライフォースと言って 時の勇者が時を旅してハイラルを去る時 勇者のもとを離れ、8つのかけらとなって 各地に飛び散ったと言われている
      It is said the Triforce of courage was left behind when the hero of time left Hyrule travelling through time which separated him from that which had made him a hero, and it was split into 8 shards and was scattered across the land.

That sacred piece is known as the Triforce of Courage. When the Hero of Time was called to embark on another journey and left the land of Hyrule, he was separated from the elements that made him a hero. It is said that at that time, the Triforce of Courage was split into eight shards and hidden throughout the land.
      The official translation doesn't mention time travel.

I can't @ you because the website won't load the "suggested usernames" box.