Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    Zelda Geography
    • After doing the classical geographic analysis of Zelda (Drawing circles on a bunch of maps) I think I've found a pretty plausible point for the Kokiri Woods and the Great Deku Tree. I think they're roughly around the point of the Zonai Ruins and the Damel Forest, juuust south of the Spring of Courage.

I tried to match the relative locations of the Great Deku (OoT), The Forest Temple (TP), and the Great Tree (SS).

I did the same with Lake Floria in SS/BotW, and the Sealed Grounds/Great Plateau/Sacred Grove. It's of course not a perfect placement, but I think it matches pretty well. There's enough room in the Damel Forest for a Great Deku Sized Tree, a couple rivers and streams that may course through the Kokiri and Ordon Villages, and I'm assuming the map is about 24x larger than it is anyway. I think there's plenty of room.

As for the Lost Woods, it seems they move with the Great Deku Tree, so given the fairly isolated location of Damel Woods (being surrounded by a few hills and winding rivers), it probably gives the Kokiri plenty of shelter from the outside world.

In the attached map, the GDT is the darker splotch of woodland.

---

Edit: I should probably clarify that I'm also under the assumption Ordon Village and Kokiri Village are the same location, but I imagine they don't have to be for this to work. They could just as easily take place just outside the Faron Woods, in the Guchini Plain, etc.
      Images
      • Kokiri Woods.png

205.11 kB, 653×399, viewed 101 times

The post was edited 2 times, last by Chateau LonLon ().

• I was having a decent amount of trouble with the actual quality map I was making, so I made this mockup instead to show you all. I also took the liberty of assigning the placements for where I think Kakariko Village may lie, as well as Gerudo Fortress (though that one I'm very welcome to critique for).

Now, for a few of my explanations...

---

Castletown: @Kokiri Kid already asked about why I don't believe the Great Plateau moved and I'll explain that now. I used to believe the Plateau must have moved, but changed that notion very quickly when I first tried making a map of my own. I swapped the locations of the Plateau and Korok Island, but found that no matter what orientation I put the Plateau on, it either didn't fit or looked quite bizarre relative to the water around it. Not to mention the Korok Island has a coastline fitting far more naturally for the land surrounding it.

Secondly, I couldn't for the life of me understand why Skyloft would have landed anywhere else but it's original location before Ocarina of Time. (I suppose that perhaps it had something to do with moving the Sacred Realm entrance far away during the Interloper Conflict, but I digress). It seemed far more elegant for me to assume that the Plateau had always been where it is, and was not always raised so high from the surface, but was probably flush with the ground.

---

Kokiri Woods is down by the Damel Forest for reasons I explained in my last post. It fit there decently enough, and roughly corresponded geographically with the surrounding landmarks in other games.

---

Kakariko Village sits at what would later become the Foothill Stable of BotW. It sits at the very base of Death Mountain, directly infront of what seems to be the only direct trail up the volcano. This is very similar to the placement of Kakariko Village in OoT, where it guards what is likely the only available path up the mountain.

The Foothill Stable also sits in the same space relative to BotW's Kakariko Village as TP's Hidden Village does to it's version of Kakariko. It's a commonly accepted theory that the Hidden Village of TP is the ruined remains of what was once OoT's village.

Lastly, to reach Foothill Stable in BotW, one path leads directly from Hyrule Field through a path between two mountainous structures (The Crenel Hills) and over a river. This is very similar to the passageway from OoT's Hyrule Field to Kakariko.

---

LonLon Ranch sitting at the location of the Ranch Ruins, Goron City, and Zora's Domain have a placement that should be fairly self-explanatory. Admittedly, I wish I could find a different spot for the Goron's home, but I can't recall if the OoT Gorons live in the Death Mountain range or Death Mtn. itself.

---

@PJCLink Btw, there are labels in this map like you asked for
      Images
      • OoT Mockup.png

521.25 kB, 566×478, viewed 132 times

The post was edited 3 times, last by Chateau LonLon ().

• @'Kokiri_Kid' I can't find all of the pictures now, but somewhere online there's a fantastic photo series comparing Skyloft to Ocarina of Time' Castletown through architecture and even similar land formations. Sure those things can be rebuilt. But it gets really interesting when there is a another comparison series of the GP anf Skyloft. The river running through, a similar overall shape, lines about being the birthplace of Hyrule...

Assuming OoT Castletown is the same landmass as the GP, shifted around the map or whatever has happened to it, there's also very similar connections between the GP and Skyloft. It almost seems to follow that all 3 of these places are the same. I'll find the photos later.

---

Here's a video comparing the Castletown to the GP, including even the subtle geographical points like hills in all the right places, for example.

Images
      • Screenshot_20180816-104507.jpg

541.72 kB, 1,059×850, viewed 116 times
      • Screenshot_20180816-104522.jpg

572.29 kB, 978×978, viewed 120 times

The post was edited 1 time, last by Chateau LonLon ().

• Chateau Romania - Lite wrote:

@'Kokiri_Kid' I can't find all of the pictures now, but somewhere online there's a fantastic photo series comparing Skyloft to Ocarina of Time' Castletown through architecture and even similar land formations. Sure those things can be rebuilt. But it gets really interesting when there is a another comparison series of the GP anf Skyloft. The river running through, a similar overall shape, lines about being the birthplace of Hyrule...

Assuming OoT Castletown is the same landmass as the GP, shifted around the map or whatever has happened to it, there's also very similar connections between the GP and Skyloft. It almost seems to follow that all 3 of these places are the same. I'll find the photos later.
      Here's a link to a video by Zeltik, in the video he uses some map compairons from OoT to the GP.
      Video

as for the skyloft/GP comparison, this is the only one i could seem to find... I know I've seen a better one where they're overlayed...

@MORPHRELINK Isn't it suspected Loftwings became the BotW Rito? I never read much into that theory, I don't know why. I don't have the game, sadly.

Though given the fairly limited enemy types in the game, I'm not sure if the birds would look all that different (if at all) from place to place.

I really doubt it too personally. But I was just curious.

So with the idea that Castle town and Skyloft are one and the same as the GP, I guess the question would be why Skyloft fell the first time, only to rise back into the clouds and fall again some place else and when did this occur?

I know Zeltiks theory touches on this but I'm curious about the specific details.

Also, I feel like Death Mountain has grown in size over the ages.
      Courage is not the absence of fear, it is the ability to overcome it.

The post was edited 2 times, last by MORPHRELINK ().

• @MORPHRELINK When would it have risen to the clouds a second time? I personally believe it fell sometime between Skyward Sword and Ocarina of Time, and then just kinda stayed there. I think OoT's location was retconned by SS, TP, and BotW. Why is it risen a bit in BotW? I can only guess.

Maybe it was raised high again to protect the Sacred Realm, or even just the town itself? Or maybe it's always been partially raised, and we can attribute it's absence of raised features to hardware limitations and soft retconning. I personally think it was just moved back up a bit, as roads from exterior ruins just kinda run into the side of the GP. It makes it seem like it was flush with the ground not long ago.
    • I feel like it would have been raised sometime after OoT. If the city in the sky is anything to go by it's that the ability to make land float is not entirely reserved for the gods.

One possibility I think might be the Divine Beasts being employed to move the land piece by piece sometime after the calamity.

This is especially logical if we are to go with the Zora tablets history of Hyrule having issues with flooding.

As this is the route we've taken in real life events for the Abu Simbel Temple.

The post was edited 1 time, last by MORPHRELINK ().

But then there's also the strange semi-cloud barrier going on? I wonder if those clouds were underground the whole time, were used in a semi-strength fashion to raise it just a bit, why it was raised, etc etc...

I wonder that too. But it could be the Divine Beast underneath acting restless, You know, that huge platform that you fight on in the DLC?
    • I suppose it's too late for spoilers so basically.

Just like the other divine beasts you have to travel inside the GP and switch on everything to activate it. You don't actually see the outside of the beast since its underground and you access it through a shrine entrance that elevates down.

The final boss then warps you here. It floats above the GP and is fairly large, and you don't see it when you're on the ground at all.

It's just an idea though. at the very least showcases that floating landmasses are still a thing during the era of Botw.