Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    • Fun
    Let's talk about... Memes.
    • I feel like this is one of those topics that I may yet live to regret making, but here goes nothing! :cookiemonster:

When did you first become aware of memes and what was the first meme that you ever stumbled across? When you first saw it, did you realize that it was a meme? Or, did this predate the Modern Era of Memes... Finally... How do you feel about memes? :coffee:

For myself, the first "meme" that I ever came across was the classic - "In Soviet Russia" meme. I didn't really think of it as a "meme" since I had no clue what that was, at the time. Instead, it was just a dumb joke, and I used it over and over and over again. Over time, I added "All Your Base" and other similar things.

The first time I ever realized that a "meme" was a thing was when I was caught up in the doge phenomena. I went... Really deep into it. I actually even wrote my own script to translate normal text into doge-speak (it was terrible.... I almost turned it in as a linguistics school project before I came back to my senses and realized that my ancient professor would likely NOT find the humor in it). (BTW, did you know that it's actually really obnoxious to parse natural language, mangle it while keeping the humor, and then output something that's high quality meme-terial?)

I will confess that I find memes to be amazingly stupid, generally unfunny, but also... Somewhat irresistible. :ironic: I may or may not sometimes send or post memes at my job... And then quietly sit nearby and watch for people that clearly react. This is how I detect the nerds. :cookiemonster:

With that said, I think I cling to outdated memes too much.

WTB modern meme-o-pedia with cliff notes for the uncool. :mastahsword:
    • I never expected a meme thread from you. :lol: I don't know what the first meme I heard was. I'm pretty sure it was something I saw on youtube like all the CD-i game memes, All Your Base Are Belong to Us, Rick Rolls, and a bunch of other classic memes.

I also tend to like older memes because they remind me of an earlier time on the internet. The great thing about memes is that if you can't think of something to say, you can always just post a meme and some people will laugh. I also just love dumb jokes and sillyness and memes definitely fit that description.

Tru Universe|Cat Midna Avatar and Signature by The Twilight Princess. Check out her art thread here!
    • I don't remember the first meme I ever saw, but I remember just viewing pre-meme memes as just funny jokes that were on the internet. I didn't really view them as a sorta culture of their own.

As for how I feel...it's complicated. There's a lot of memes I like/liked, but I both hate and love meme culture. I love being able to share a funny joke with people and have a good laugh with them, but I hate how persistent meme culture is, and I hate how it feels like a constant race to the bottom to be the "funniest." Plus if you hate a meme, you really can't do much about it. Like if you are offended by a meme, then the best you can do is try to avoid it, but if it's about a topic that your a fan of or something, then avoiding the meme is nearly impossible.
    • TruEdge67 wrote:

I never expected a meme thread from you. I don't know what the first meme I heard was. I'm pretty sure it was something I saw on youtube like all the CD-i game memes, All Your Base Are Belong to Us, Rick Rolls, and a bunch of other classic memes.
      Ah yes, you're definitely a student of the classics, and your lack of expectation is simply an explanation of how very little you know me. Also, I'm pretty sure that all the best early memes came from youtube. Hell, I think that this is still the case - there's just something to be said about a funny video...

TruEdge67 wrote:

I also tend to like older memes because they remind me of an earlier time on the internet. The great thing about memes is that if you can't think of something to say, you can always just post a meme and some people will laugh.
      I sorta agree with the nostalgia factor, tbh - a lot of people don't think about this, but the internet has changed a lot in a really time amount of time. Something from just 5 years ago can be nostalgic while something from 10 years ago is actually downright historical online.

Mango The Magician wrote:

I hate how it feels like a constant race to the bottom to be the "funniest."
      I agree with this. To be honest, one of the worst things about memes is that they often aggressively take the place of pleasant conversation, and people don't always like to stop pushing memes when they aren't being appreciated. I think that because the expectation is that "people laugh at memes", many times memers (is this... a word?) get really defensive when others want them to stfu.

In my own experience... Excessive memes can actually almost be like bullying. It's toxic "laughter culture" - the idea that only things that are funny are worth talking about or sharing. Chel and I have had a few encounters with people that have lots of followers and do a lot of memes... In at least one case, the person turned out to be a very scary, very unfunny jerk.

The race towards "funniest" can definitely create some interesting cultural situations...
    • I honestly don't remember my first meme at all, but knowing me? It was probably some too-offensive-for-reasonable-people-and-ZU Spanish one I would have found amusing back then and would wince at looking at now.

Some memes can be legitimately funny when used appropriately, but honestly? They feel like overused and at points annoying, low class replacements for actual conversation and jokes. This doesn't prevent me from laughing and saving them of course.

That said, there's some people who find whatever random image and make it into a joke, to the point where it's senseless and bothersome with no grace about it. Like the uppercase red B emote. Yuck.
    • Probably Trogdor. I appreciated some viral videos like that and Charlie the Unicorn with their impressive animation and absurdist humor. (Also sign me up for "Rejected" and "The Demented Cartoon Movie.") I also liked "All your base..." and "The cake is a lie" because derp.

I started getting tired of memes around the time Rickrolling became a thing. Memes became primarily secondary-sourced. Those viral videos were original creations by talented humorists and deserved the attention they got. And the cake line is just a funny easter egg from a talented game developer. But "Never Gonna Give You Up" was not meant to be funny (and the prank got old very fast), and the image macros of today are very rarely created by the people who slap words on them and spread them around. They are also rarely funny to me. On the extreme side, an artist's comic character—Pepe the Frog—got stolen by the alt-right for use in horrific image macros that pervert the humor of Internet meme culture into something dispicable.

Image macros and other memes have saturated social media, to the point where all I was getting from my Facebook friends in my News Feed was either depressing news or memes. I actually left the site indefinitely in part because I was sick of all of that. I also rarely browse Tumblr anymore because it's become just a bunch of image macros being reblogged over and over again rather than a true social blogging experience.

Basically, I don't really like memes these days. I get a lot of flak for it, but I just don't find them funny anymore but rather incredibly annoying. Like, make your own stuff, people.
    • Scarly Crow wrote:

The first time I ever realized that a "meme" was a thing was when I was caught up in the doge phenomena. I went... Really deep into it. I actually even wrote my own script to translate normal text into doge-speak (it was terrible.... I almost turned it in as a linguistics school project before I came back to my senses and realized that my ancient professor would likely NOT find the humor in it).
      Display Spoiler

You're welcome!

Memes breath life into me when I'm feeling down or not. I only like memes that are incredibly stupid/weird, that I can relate to, or ones that up my ally in humor, which is either dark humor or something clever.
      The first meme I came across was either "In Soviet Russia..." or the memes that are like "FOREVER ALONE", which was before the term, meme, was coined as far as know.

EDIT: I forgot Rick Rolls. But that was just mean and annoying af!

Lovely thread btw!

[Gayru Clan banner by Chel]

The post was edited 1 time, last by Amber The Gay Fox ().

• I'm not sure what was the first meme I ever saw... I'm pretty sure it was Lolcats back on icanhazcheeseburger. Truth be told, I don't like a lot of memes. Some of them are just unfunny and offensive, and people use them as an excuse to say harmful things to or about people. And others normalize issues and problems like depression and anxiety (like /r/me_irl), and occasionally keep people from seeking help for their problems. Not to mention that they're just a plain waste of time. That said, there's some memes I find funny. /r/bossfight is pretty funny, as were a lot of vines. But that's about the extent of the memes I browse aside from /r/bioniclememes, and I don't look at memes often. Maybe once every week or two.

I've been making a concerted effort to take better care of myself mentally and make the time to focus on my art and hobbies because it feels good to make something, and it makes me feel happier than looking at memes ever will. Not to mention I get something tangible out of it, that I can wear, feel, listen to, or eat. As much as someone may like deep fried Garfield memes, they're not going to do anything for you in the long run
      I AM TAKANUVA, TOA OF LIGHT!

You'll be hearing my name someday, whenever people talk about heroes - Takua!
    • Serenity wrote:

I really like the Spongebob memes lol such as
      I live for SpongeBob memes, especially the ones that will list characters from different shows/movies as characters from SpongeBob.

I have no idea what the first meme I ever saw was. It was probably one of those cheeseburger ones. My favorite memes these days (aside from the SpongeBob ones) are Vines and pretty much anything on /r/wholesomememes. I have a 14 year old sister that keeps me up to date with most of the new ones lol

The post was edited 1 time, last by orchid ().

• So, I guess question one is how you define a "meme" for this conversation. Something like a joke template that gains widespread use? In which case the first one I can remember is probably knock-knock jokes. :P

Which is kinda the thing, "memes" aren't new, even though we tend to associate them with the internet age. People like taking templates and playing with them, and they allow for people to hit two types of humour: The kind that comes from when everyone knows how something has to end and you just keep building to that and the kind where everyone thinks they know how it'll end and you pull the rug out at the end. As such, they feel like they're ideally-suited for jokes.

Restricting it to internet memes, earliest one I can remember is All Your Base, though I can't actually say that was the first one I ever saw, just the first one I can remember.

May those who accept their fate be granted happiness;

Those who defy it, glory!