Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    Zelda II Appreciation Thread
    • Okami Takahashi wrote:

The Baton of the Wind wrote:

I'm all for a Zelda III :mastahsword:
      PSSST! Try Panoply of Calatia to fill that gap!
      I'm never going to not advocate for this game. More people need to play it and talk about it, not just me lol
      Wow, Zelda Classic's come a long way since the last time I visited that website. They've got Mac and Linux versions now. Totally downloading.

Display Spoiler

In the event that someone else is wondering what Calatia is. I've seen it referenced in a lot of fan games/hacks/etc, but I didn't realize it was a quasi-canon thing.
      zelda.wikia.com/wiki/Calatia

You know... iirc, there was a Metroid II fan remake that got took down because of the 3DS game. So if you really want Nintendo to do a Zelda II remake, you should start making it yourself to get the hype train rolling. Then Nintendo will see there's a market for it and send you a DMCA notice. They can't well have you competing with their Zelda II remake. ;)
    • Yes, yes, thank you! My advocacy for the Zelda Classic Quest is finally paying off! (I was planning to learn how to use ZQuest to make a pseudo sequel to the game featuring Linkle and the unused map I was once sent, but it's too much of a learning curve for me lol). I've said it before, but just to recap, it's a retelling/expansion of the Calatia storyline from the comics, and it just feels right; it's not out of place feeling, post-game antics and non-Zelda music aside. It feels like a real LoZ game. It technically fills that Zelda III slot. You KINDA have a party system, switching between Link and Zelda, and using Sprite with the mouse when you unlock her- it balances both Hyrule Fantasy and Adventure of Link's gameplay styles (and fixes the problems with AoL's as well), there's references to the games, comic and cartoon sprinkled throughout; it's just a real love letter to both the Japanese and American sides of the franchise. Honestly I kinda wish someone would make a ZII remake in this style, balancing both old and new gameplay styles. Oh, and iirc it was also planned to have all of south Hyrule explored (Hyrule Fantasy's Hyrule), but had to be reduced. Despite the cutting of said maps, it's a solid experience, and honestly the best fangame and Zelda Classic Quest I've ever played.
    • It's so true. BotW comes pretty close, especially early game on Master Mode, but even there encounters aren't frequent enough/are too easy to avoid. Zelda II feels like, well, the wild. A dangerous, untamed land that will mess you up. It feels like an adventure, not like a Disney-feel good-everyone comes back to life at the end adventure, but like a classic adventure story, like Robinson Crusoe, Treasure Island, or Count of Monte Cristo. Dangerous and mysterious, you might not survive it, there's real stakes. It's just fantastic.
      A dark chase requires a silent hound, and deep roots are not reached by the frost.
    • When I think of challenging NES games, I think of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Zelda II is an easy game when compared to TMNT because Zelda II is a fair game. Yes, you have to start back at the beginning after a Game Over (and you lose some XP), but any progress you make is permanent. Getting the Hammer is a big break which opens an HP-saving path back to the hard areas. And in the hardest level, Zelda II mercifully breaks its own rules: You don't have to start back at the beginning after the Thunderbird/Shadow Link kills you. :)

In regard to the 'should the remake be like ALBW?': When I first saw ALBW being referenced, I thought you guys were talking about like a new game that's basically a new version of Zelda II (in same way that ALBW is basically* a new version of ALttP). I personally would not want to see Nintendo discard Zelda II gameplay in any sequel. There are things that should be refined in any remake/requel, but the core beast that is Zelda II is a good one to me.

*ALBW is not enough like ALttP to rightly be regarded as a new version of it. ALttP's items in dungeons provide it with like 67+ orders, and about 20 of those involve some neat tricks. ALBW's non-linear progression is less interesting in comparison. Getting the Hylian Shield out of ALBW Turtle Rock doesn't really help you go anywhere. But to be fair, ALBW does keep the early sword upgrade (one of the most exciting ALttP non-standard orders) as a thing you can do. The game is, all things considered, quite dope and the bestest and most fun 3DS game.
      :cookiemonster:

The post was edited 1 time, last by Happy Person ().

• ecrofirt wrote:

When I think of challenging NES games, I think of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Zelda II is an easy game when compared to TMNT because Zelda II is a fair game. Yes, you have to start back at the beginning after a Game Over (and you lose some XP), but any progress you make is permanent. Getting the Hammer is a big break which opens an HP-saving path back to the hard areas. And in the hardest level, Zelda II mercifully breaks its own rules: You don't have to start back at the beginning after the Thunderbird/Shadow Link kills you. :)

In regard to the 'should the remake be like ALBW?': When I first saw ALBW being referenced, I thought you guys were talking about like a new game that's basically a new version of Zelda II (in same way that ALBW is basically* a new version of ALttP). I personally would not want to see Nintendo discard Zelda II gameplay in any sequel. There are things that should be refined in any remake/requel, but the core beast that is Zelda II is a good one to me.

*ALBW is not enough like ALttP to rightly be regarded as a new version of it. ALttP's items in dungeons provide it with like 67+ orders, and about 20 of those involve some neat tricks. ALBW's non-linear progression is less interesting in comparison. Getting the Hylian Shield out of ALBW Turtle Rock doesn't really help you go anywhere. But to be fair, ALBW does keep the early sword upgrade (one of the most exciting ALttP non-standard orders) as a thing you can do. The game is, all things considered, quite dope and the bestest and most fun 3DS game.
      I agree that Zelda II is fair and when compared to other games isn't as mind-blowingly difficult as it's made out to be so often. But in comparison with the rest of the Zelda franchise, it has a level of challenge and danger that we haven't really seen since. The stakes just feel higher to me than any other game, not least because in addition to constant danger and challenging gameplay, the game constantly reminds you that your life is the only thing keeping Ganon at bay. So not only are you adventuring to beat the dungeons and save the princess, you're just struggling to survive. Put it this way - Zelda II is the only game in the franchise where the bad guys are actively trying to stop Link. He IS the macguffin they need. In most other Zelda games the bad guys kind of just... ignore Link? Sometimes in ways that really don't make sense. Like in SS, it's cool that Ghirahim is there from the start and is almost like Link's rival, but he straight-up knows that Link has the Goddess Sword and is out to stop his plans, but he toys with him and then lets him go like, 4 times. Other Zelda games have this problem too, where Link goes around getting more powerful and bring a nuisance, and the big bad guy just doesn't respond until the game's midpoint and the end. But in Zelda II, from the word go you know that bloodthirsty monsters are dogging your every step and trying to kill you to resurrect the Lord of Evil you killed a few years ago. And that's not even really related to the actual main plot of the game! It's just hardcore and freaking awesome. That's what I mean when I say it feels like a classic adventure story and there's real danger.

And yeah, when I talk about an ALBW style sequel, that is what I meant. A new game that's basically a new version of Zelda II. I wouldn't want them to discard any Zelda II gameplay either, which is why the more I think about it, the less I'm sure I'd want that. The thing is, I really don't care for ALBW. I thought it was boring, easy, and mostly unmemorable. It coasted a little too much on ALttP, and the new stuff it added was uninteresting. The most interesting part of the game was the Lorule stuff, which I didn't like very much. The whole game just felt very mediocre. I know my opinion isn't a very popular one, and that's a bit of a digression, but the point is I can't decide if I'd rather see a sequel in the same vein of Zelda II, or for the game to get the 3DS OoT/MM and Metroid II treatment.
      A dark chase requires a silent hound, and deep roots are not reached by the frost.
    • Most of my life I agreed that AOL was stupid hard and felt less Zelda...then, a few years ago I actually decided to beat it... which I eventually did. Used internet guides when I was stuck for hours lol.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. After that I gained the patience to tackle Dragon Warrior, and the original Final Fantasy. There's something about grinding in the wilderness to afford whatever upgrade you need that makes those tiny NES games as huge as BOTW or Skyrim. I don't know what it is though. I just imagine the party camping out, or resting and strategizing, beholding the world around them...

Zelda II also improved my game with Nintendo hard stuff...

MegaMan, Castlevania, Ninja Gaiden..etc..

I can't beat those games, but I get further now lol
    • Zelda II was the first Zelda game I played as a kid so I didnt know any better. I miss the nes days where you looked through the instruction booklets and had to use your imagination to fill in gaps.

I loved when Hyrule historia came out, not a whole lot of NES Zelda stuff in it, but cool to see how it all really fit together.

deviantart.com/deimos-remus

This guy redesigned all of the characters and enemies from LoZ 1. I’d like to do the same thing with Zelda 2. Like add elements from games earlier in the timeline and apply them to character and locations. Anybody interested give me a shout.

The Era of decline is a cool period in the Zelda franchise. Ganon only comes back in his beast/pig form. It’s the most bleak of the 3 timelines, almost apocalyptic. Anyway I feel like the older games don’t have enough connective material. So I’d like to try to add some.

Just a few sketches so far nothing solid. But if you guys have any design ideas let me know.
    • BotW is definitely in the era of decline in my mind. Like don’t get me wrong I love the games in the Adult timeline, and the quirkiness of the Child timeline. I guess the Decline is mostly nostalgia.

But it could be fun to flesh out the Decline a bit more. Something to pass time.

Any file I try to upload is too big. But here are a few works I’ve done for that era.

deviantart.com/backflipsimmons/art/Dangerous-681697591

deviantart.com/backflipsimmons/art/Rest-507177231

deviantart.com/backflipsimmons/art/Zelda-II-Temple-396317830
    • ^ So would that mean the Zelda in the original is *not* a descendant of Hylia then? Or would she still count since she would (presumably) be a descendant of the Sleeping Zelda's brother, and woudl get her lineage through him.

BotW Zelda in her purple Hylian Tunic, by my husband, DarkSilver.

"Breath of the Wild: "Zelda's Redemption" Chapter 3 now up!

After Calamity Ganon's defeat, a devastated Zelda must come to terms with her ruined kingdom, dead friends, and the resentment of the Hero who had saved her, but lost his fiancee. When all hope seems lost, she comes across a legend of a holy relic that can set things right, if she can find the ancient keys to access it. With the help of new friends, and without Link, can Zelda finally become a legend, on her own terms?
    • Violetlight wrote:

^ So would that mean the Zelda in the original is *not* a descendant of Hylia then? Or would she still count since she would (presumably) be a descendant of the Sleeping Zelda's brother, and woudl get her lineage through him.
      The Zelda in LOZ has Hylia's blood, but isn't an incarnation of Hylia.
      "The (Star Wars) EU is a bloated, wretched mess."
      - Jedi Master Sagan
    • Zelda 2 was a great, albeit very different title. It led me down the path to other great side scrolling action rpgs like Battle of Olympus and Wanderers from Y’s. It was also the introduction of the triforce of courage, so it’s importance just in that aspect alone is immeasurable.

If they ever remaster it I could totally see them reimagining the temples as sheikhah temples ala botw. They were tests, after all, just like the shrines.

Kasuto wrote:

From where have you gotten the idea that there are reincarnations of Hylia among her descendants?
      from the Breath of the wild: creating a champion:

“But Ganon is not the only constant in the cyclical history of Hyrule. In every age where Ganon rises up to cause chaos , there are born two defenders fated to protect the kingdom: a warrior with the soul of the hero and the sacred princess who is the goddess reborn. Together, they two are able to repel Ganon, allowing the Kingdom of Hyrule to flourish."

According to that, any time the soul of the hero returns, so does Hylia.

The post was edited 3 times, last by Castigear ().