Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    • Normal
    How's your commute?
    • Hullo zu'ers! I recently made the jump and decided to go through hell and chaos to break a lease and move due to massive commute issues. I was wondering how everyone else's commutes were stacking up? Basically, how do you travel around and how does it work out for you? Is it something you like? Something you hate?

Don't give the exact details, since you definitely don't want to run into anyone unexpectedly as you go about town. -_-;; This is the internet after all. :v:

Anyways, for myself... My current commute is that I drive for 15 minutes, walk for 10 minutes, ride the train for an hour and some change, get off the train, and then walk for another 15 minutes. Yup. That's an hour and forty minutes twice a day - and it gets much long if the train is canceled or delayed (both common occurrences).

It kinda sucked, but I put up with it because I was a bit stuck for a while. Then my chronic pain condition started going to hell and I did some research. Would you believe that it turned out that a long commute is associated with a lot of negative health outcomes? Back and neck pain. Loneliness. Less ability to focus on your day to day challenges. Relationship issues. It was a lovely litany of shit.

So! I wrecked everything and decided to move closer to work. :cookiemonster:

New commute time - about 20 - 40 minutes. I tested out the commute a few weeks ago, and I almost cried due to happiness. Long commutes suck. I've done them for most of my life, but I don't think that I can deal with it anymore, especially since I think my distance from the city makes it super hard to make even casual acquaintances.

Anyways! What's your story? :3
    • lord-of-shadow wrote:

Yeah... length of commute is one of the single biggest factors in quality of life. I've done the hour-long commute thing before, it's basically hell on earth.

Currently I live a 7 minute walk from work. I pay a pretty penny for it, and my place is smaller than it would be, but it's absolutely worth it.
      Omg, it's super validating to read this from you, so thank you for sharing it! <3

I have to say - a lot of people really don't think about the benefits of a shorter commute. I have coworkers that are all like "it isn't that big of a deal" when they live only 30 minutes away from the office! I'm like... "Well, it's actually probably making you a happier person that you would otherwise be, hahaha"

Also... I'm so jelly.... A 7 minute walk is the holy grail of commuting. XD
    • My town is pretty small and only has like 33,000 people so my commutes are nice and short since it isn't that big of a town to navigate. It usually only takes no more than 10 - 30 minutes to get somewhere you'd wanna go like the store or the doctors office depending on how far and if you decide to go during rush hour traffic.

Tru Universe|Cat Midna Avatar and Signature by The Twilight Princess. Check out her art thread here!
    • Zephyr Crow wrote:

Omg, it's super validating to read this from you, so thank you for sharing it! <3
      I have to say - a lot of people really don't think about the benefits of a shorter commute. I have coworkers that are all like "it isn't that big of a deal" when they live only 30 minutes away from the office! I'm like... "Well, it's actually probably making you a happier person that you would otherwise be, hahaha"

Also... I'm so jelly.... A 7 minute walk is the holy grail of commuting. XD
      I can't believe anyone would hear about your 1:40 commute and not be horrified! That's no way to live.

I basically had to choose between having a car and a 30 minute commute, or having no car but only a 7 minute walk for my commute. (Or secret third option: no car, and 30 minute commute by bus). I chose the obvious right answer: the 7 minute walk! Only possible because I work in a city, of course, live by myself so I don't need to worry much about living space, and can get almost anywhere I need to be via public transit.
    • My commute is about 35 minutes door to door. I take a shuttle bus and then the metro, and then I walk for about 5 minutes. I really can’t complain!

Many of my former commutes were about an hour and that sucked, but now I’m trying to mix affordability with time commuting, I’d say 35 mins is a good middle ground.

For the next few months I’ll be a ten minute walk to/from work. I’m completely spoiled! It’s temporary but I’ll enjoy it while it lasts!
    • I was someone who was always used to fairly long commutes, in the past year I switched to a walking-distance commute and now I think it will be very hard to ever go back.

College (high school) - 40 minute drive
      1st year uni - 10 min walk to station, 35 min train, 5 min walk to underground, 10 min tube to campus. So about an hour door to door.
      2nd year uni - 15 min walk to campus!

Living central costs a pretty penny, but the practicality of living less than a mile away from uni is more valuable than the cost of rent.
    • I wake up and navigate the deadly obstacles that might cause a toe stubbing on the way to walking to my home office in the living room. Occasionally, I find myself having to fight off a grizzly bear when I get into the hallway. Assholes know how to use those choke points effectively if you don't watch it. Total time: 5-10 seconds

Sometimes, I'll wake up early just to drive around in the mornings for 30 mins - 1 hour, getting coffee or enjoying the morning vibe, before coming back to settling in front of my desk though. I don't miss traffic jams and such, but I've always enjoyed driving and commutes were fun parts of my day that I miss before I started working for myself. This helps me get that relaxing feeling to wake up and kick ass in the mornings.

My last couple of jobs, the commutes weren't too bad. It maybe took 15-20 minutes tops. Occasionally, it'd be longer because of rush hour traffic in a D1 college town with 2 lane roads lol. The longest I've had was 1 hour routinely.
      "Constantly talking about what you've done is a long winded way of saying you don't do s*** anymore." - Ross Enamait

#GainsWave2018-'19
    • My current commute is.... well, a bit of a disorganized mess. I teach dance all over the southern portion of my state, so the amount of time I spend commuting varies greatly. Plus, I'm not always staying at home. I usually spend a fair amount of time staying at my family's lake house during the summer, which is about 40 min away from my house in the city.

I guess on the worst day, I drive 40 min to my first studio, then 15 min to the next, then 40 min back to where I'm staying. I get to drive the whole time, which is excellent! I get to listen to music/podcasts without being crammed onto trains with strangers. But traffic usually sucks near most of my studios, so it's a lot of unnecessary stress I don't need.
    • One of my most important personal goals for when I'm done school is to live close to work, for the reasons already mentioned above and more. I did a bit of research on this recently and the amount of time, money and energy that gets wasted with a long commute is staggering.

You may not always have much of a choice, but if you do, choose to live closer to work!
    • About 30 minutes in the morning. About 45 minutes back in the afternoon due to traffic.
      I carpool with my wife in the morning and she starts work later so I'm sometimes waiting up to an hour for her to finish. So that is sometimes nearly 2 hours waiting to get home.

We're hoping to move closer to work in a few months.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Hoju ().

• I don't presently have any such thing. When I had classes, it was like maybe a seven minute walk. Lol.

However, back when I was at my previous university I had probably around a two hour commute (that counts for one way, it was, of course, there and back, so it was twice that a day). That was on top of having a night job sometimes. I had really cut back on that for going to school, but when I did have to work and then go to classes it was really rough. I would go to work at 10 PM, then go straight on the commute afterward and usually not get back home to sleep until around 8 PM.

I am really happy that I didn't have to deal with that this time around! Trust me, the above just doesn't work very well when you're trying to major in music.