Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    Danganronpa Thread: High School Shenanigans
    • Early V3 spoilers:
      Display Spoiler
      To be clear, I'm not yet convinced that I think it's better for the main character to be more characterized. Just clearly a different direction, and I wonder if it's a coincidence that it was their first female protag that made them choose to change the direction like this. The usual reason to NOT characterize the protagonist in a game is to make them more relatable to a broader variety of people. That's why Makoto and Hajime didn't have specific talents (mostly) and didn't have strong personalities, unlike the rest of the cast. And I'm guessing they were male for two reasons: A, most of the dev team was probably male, and B: they thought most of their audience would be, too.

So why did they change it? Was there a demographics or target audience shift? A genuine desire to have better representation? An artistic reason why female avatar fits the writing or tone or plans for this game better?

And why did they choose a writing style for the main character that makes the player look at them more like a separate character in their own right, instead of an avatar to project yourself onto? That might be consistent with them still assuming that their players are mostly male.

Anyways, none of that is a criticism or a value judgment, just me being curious and rambling about how and why game design decisions were made.
      Pronouns: He/Him

The post was edited 1 time, last by Max N. ().

• Danganronpa V3

I think they just generally wanted the protagonist to have more personality, as the "blank protagonist" had gotten kinda overdone.

Like, there's a clear progression from DR1 to DR2, where you go from Makoto-the-entirely-unmotivated-and-frankly-not-too-bright (though he grows as it goes on, at least) to Hajime-the-unmotivated-but-at-least-has-his-own-opinions-and-is-fairly-clever, and then you hit DRV3 and you have Kaede-the-strongly-motivated.

I have more things to say about Kaede, but it's hard to talk about her character without spoilers (same as any character, really).

May those who accept their fate be granted happiness;

Those who defy it, glory!

The post was edited 1 time, last by John ().

• Danganronpa V3 1st case spoilers:
      Display Spoiler
      My. God. Every time I think I can predict anything in these games, they prove me wrong - dramatically.

My whole cute little post talking about what it means to have a protagonist like Kaede has taken on a whole new meaning now that I finished the first case. You two must have had so much trouble responding to that. I did think Serenity's last post was a little strange. But I never expected that. Hahah.

Goddamnit, she was my favorite character too. And Rantaro was my second favorite, the one I picked as my first friend! That oppressive gut-punch feeling from the first game is coming back!

Guess it's time to play as boring, generic Protagonist Man again. Shuichi... *sigh*

• V3

Yeah.

I have mixed feelings about what they did to Kaede.

On the one hand, it's a great twist, and shakes up any sense of complacency you might've had. On the other hand...I really liked Kaede as a character and I'm upset that they went from her to Souichi. I mean, Souichi isn't bad, but he's back to more generic. He's still a step above Hajime in terms of having a personality, but he's no Kaede.

In my case, I had a vague suspicion when the trial started, and was almost certain she was the killer by the intermission...but I also had to stop playing at the half-way point and wait for a day before continuing. That whole day my mind kept going "Was she really? I mean, it makes sense, but...would they do that? I mean, they probably would do that, but..."

So, I figured I'd just gush a bit about what I did and didn't like about the first two games:

Danganronpa 1

The real strengths of DR1 are the overall mystery and the use of the hope motif, really. The characters in 1 are much more of a mixed bag than in 2, with many of them coming off as kinda flat. Or they're Hifumi. Plus, the way it handled the Chihiro plot was...bad. I like that, post-reveal, everyone just accepts Chihiro, but the way it's handled up until that point is...really not good.

Then again, 1 does give us Genocide Jill, Kyoko, and Junko, who I've previously mentioned are great.

Also, the ending is pitch-perfect. Junko makes a great villain and your battle of rhetoric with her is a load of fun, buoyed up by the excellent use of music. I also kinda love that, in the end, you just keep going "Hope!" and all of junko's logic and fear-peddling just falls away.

Danganronpa 2

2's mystery is less compelling, really, but I feel it makes up for it with stronger characters. I mean, yes, it has Teruteru, Mikan, Hiyoko, and Soda, but it also has Chiaki (for all she's clearly supposed to be super-moe, her character writing rises above that, I feel), Peko, Fuyuhiko, Nagito, Gundham, and really the rest of the cast.

To go into a bit more detail on the characters I didn't care for:
      Teruteru and Hiyoko should go without explanation, really.
      Mikan, though, is a bit harder to explain. My main complaint with her is that the writers are clearly trying to have their cake and eat it too. They get their fanservice character and then they give her a backstory about how her fanservice tendency is due to deep-seated emotional issues and her incredibly low self-esteem. Sorry, no, you don't get to keep giving us pinups and then scold us for viewing them when you don't give us a choice in the matter. If they'd toned her down just a bit then I wouldn't mind her anywhere near as much.

Soda, finally, I mostly dislike due to his lack of character growth. His backstory is fine and explains why he's got those stalker-ish tendencies, but couldn't we have had him learn and grow after Sonia explicitly rejected him? Heck there's side-materials that actually show what he'd be like if Sonia did agree to go on a date with him: He's actually nice and nervous and caring: He's deeply worried that he's not good enough for her and that he doesn't want her to waste time with someone like him if he can't improve himself. He's still got some bad traits there, but it shows that they could've made him grow and work in the game, they just didn't.

2 also gets lots of bonus points for how it does a direct commentary on 1. Nagito is Makoto with the difference of being willing to court despair to boost hope rather than just endure it as it comes. Many of the characters feel like they're variations on the cast in 1, too. My favourite example of that is definitely Sonia, who is an inverted Celeste. Celeste was a "country hick" who was enamored with European nobility and invented a persona to pretend to be that. Sonia is European nobility...who adores "low-class" Japanese things and would love to just revel in it.

That commentary extends to a look at "hope" itself. Nagito is hope turned toxic, Makoto tries to win using hope again and fails, and what Hajime ultimately does to win isn't to back hope, but self determination.

I also like how 2 sets up "they're all in VR!" as the big twist...only to reveal that, nah, that wasn't the twist, you should've known that already. The real twist is that it's a no-win situation. Of course, I might be biased here, since my guess for the mystery of 1 was that...it was all a VR simulation (hence the photos of people you find after they've died), which the existence of Alter Ego convinced me of. So it was kinda hilarious when 2 went all "Yeah, this time it really is VR".

I also love the no-win situation because it's actually a really clever plan. Every possible outcome works for Junko. No matter what she gets to trap the original class survivors, and she either gets a half-dozen new bodies to control or the remnants of despair revive without the last surviving class able to stop them this time. The only reason she loses is that you change the rules.

Which leads us to the finale, which I really like. Once again you power through Junko's manipulation with pure emotion, simply asserting that nothing she says matters, you will forge your own future, no matter what.

So yeah, 2 is a reflection and meditation on 1, and I love it for that.

• lord-of-shadow wrote:

Danganronpa V3 1st case spoilers:
      Display Spoiler
      My. God. Every time I think I can predict anything in these games, they prove me wrong - dramatically.

My whole cute little post talking about what it means to have a protagonist like Kaede has taken on a whole new meaning now that I finished the first case. You two must have had so much trouble responding to that. I did think Serenity's last post was a little strange. But I never expected that. Hahah.

Goddamnit, she was my favorite character too. And Rantaro was my second favorite, the one I picked as my first friend! That oppressive gut-punch feeling from the first game is coming back!

Guess it's time to play as boring, generic Protagonist Man again. Shuichi... *sigh*

Display Spoiler

yeah lol my last post on here was intentionally to mess with you.

V3 subverts expectations in weird ways. To no surprise, they do bring Rantaro back up again, but you'll have to wait a while for that.
    • So, man. Just finished v3. Dumbest ending I've seen to a game in years. Spoilers below are for all three games.

Display Spoiler

I don't really care about the "it feels bad because they're critiquing the fans" angle. There isn't enough nuance or truth to that critique for it to bite, assuming that was even their intention. But I really don't need twist endings that everything was a dream/lie/hoax/whatever. That's the fastest shortcut to removing investment in the story I can imagine. As soon as that twist happened I stopped caring and just wanted it to be over already. Only reason I even finished the game was to see if there was going to be something redeeming afterwards. Spoiler alert: There wasn't. Kinda ruined the whole game for me. Which is a shame, because I was seriously thinking this might have been my favorite. Also, writing yourself into your story is... generally a questionable source. Didn't work for Stephen King, doesn't work for fanfic writers, didn't feel good here in v3.

I actually think the endings to all three games have been bad. They commit the classic writing mistake of raising the stakes to absurd levels to feel climactic. For me, at least, that directly translates into me being less interested in them. The series is at it's best when it's dealing with characters, interpersonal character drama, and how the characters react to extremely harsh conditions. I want character-based climaxes, not plot-twist climaxes. Crazy plotlines about the end of the world or memory loss or literally everything being fake aren't really necessary, and can distract from what the game's actually good at. I will give 2 a bit of a pass because it did a better job of incorporating it's climactic twists into the actual character stories. Nagito's arc only worked because of it, after all! (also, they can retire Junko, she only worked well in the first game).

Basically, I wish that they would stop worrying about Danganronpa as a world or a set of interconnected plots, and just focus on the characters and killing game. Also, I actually like the trial gameplay and solving murder mysteries. I'm not terribly interested in replacing them with gimmicks that exist purely to justify the over-the-top climax. I want my climaxes to be gameplay climaxes too, and make me think really hard about evidence and testimony!

This game did end up having some amazing characters though.

Display Spoiler

One of my favorite parts of v3 is that they didn't have characters like Kiyoko, Byakuya, Nagito, or Chiaki who were smarter than the protagonist and led him through trials by the nose. In the first two games that would often hurt the fantasy that I was solving mysteries. Makoto wasn't the hero of 1, Kiyoko was. Hajime wasn't the one solving the mysteries in 2, Nagito and Chiaki were. But Suiichi was the one who figured stuff out.

I ended up really liking a lot of the cast in v3, too. I didn't like anyone at first, other than Kaede and Rantaro (that first case hurt!), but eventually grew to really like most of the cast.

Quick note: I really wish that it was more feasible to develop relationships with more characters over the course of the game. I'm glad it's not possible to do everyone, but I've found it hard to finish more than 2-3 in each game. partially because of twists like characters dying, of course, which is good, but also partially because they're just really stingy about it. In 1 and 2 I'm not even sure it was possible to fully complete relationships with the entire cast of end-game survivors in a single play-through.

Ultimately, my favorite characters of the series are, in no particular order:
      Display Spoiler

- Nagito (ok I lied, there is an order: Nagito is the best).
      - Kokichi Oma (I agree with your analysis of him, @John)
      - Junko Enoshima
      - Byakuya Togami
      - Sakura Ogami
      - Maki Harukawa
      - Fuyuhiko Kuzuryuu
      - Chiaki Nanami

And, of course.... Monokuma himself.

The post was edited 3 times, last by Max N. ().

• Kokichi was great. I thought he'd be like Nagito, but luckily he is his own person. I also felt similarly to Nagito the way I did towards Toko, in that, at first, I didn't care for him, but at the end, I thought he was the best character. Toko, Kyoko, Chihiro, Nagito, Chiaki, Gundham, Kokichi, Maki, and Kaito were all favorite characters of mine.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Serenity ().

• lord-of-shadow wrote:

So, man. Just finished v3. Dumbest ending I've seen to a game in years. Spoilers below are for all three games.

Display Spoiler

I don't really care about the "it feels bad because they're critiquing the fans" angle. There isn't enough nuance or truth to that critique for it to bite, assuming that was even their intention. But I really don't need twist endings that everything was a dream/lie/hoax/whatever. That's the fastest shortcut to removing investment in the story I can imagine. As soon as that twist happened I stopped caring and just wanted it to be over already. Only reason I even finished the game was to see if there was going to be something redeeming afterwards. Spoiler alert: There wasn't. Kinda ruined the whole game for me. Which is a shame, because I was seriously thinking this might have been my favorite. Also, writing yourself into your story is... generally a questionable source. Didn't work for Stephen King, doesn't work for fanfic writers, didn't feel good here in v3.

I actually think the endings to all three games have been bad. They commit the classic writing mistake of raising the stakes to absurd levels to feel climactic. For me, at least, that directly translates into me being less interested in them. The series is at it's best when it's dealing with characters, interpersonal character drama, and how the characters react to extremely harsh conditions. I want character-based climaxes, not plot-twist climaxes. Crazy plotlines about the end of the world or memory loss or literally everything being fake aren't really necessary, and can distract from what the game's actually good at. I will give 2 a bit of a pass because it did a better job of incorporating it's climactic twists into the actual character stories. Nagito's arc only worked because of it, after all! (also, they can retire Junko, she only worked well in the first game).

Basically, I wish that they would stop worrying about Danganronpa as a world or a set of interconnected plots, and just focus on the characters and killing game. Also, I actually like the trial gameplay and solving murder mysteries. I'm not terribly interested in replacing them with gimmicks that exist purely to justify the over-the-top climax. I want my climaxes to be gameplay climaxes too, and make me think really hard about evidence and testimony!

This game did end up having some amazing characters though.

Display Spoiler

One of my favorite parts of v3 is that they didn't have characters like Kiyoko, Byakuya, Nagito, or Chiaki who were smarter than the protagonist and led him through trials by the nose. In the first two games that would often hurt the fantasy that I was solving mysteries. Makoto wasn't the hero of 1, Kiyoko was. Hajime wasn't the one solving the mysteries in 2, Nagito and Chiaki were. But Suiichi was the one who figured stuff out.

I ended up really liking a lot of the cast in v3, too. I didn't like anyone at first, other than Kaede and Rantaro (that first case hurt!), but eventually grew to really like most of the cast.

Quick note: I really wish that it was more feasible to develop relationships with more characters over the course of the game. I'm glad it's not possible to do everyone, but I've found it hard to finish more than 2-3 in each game. partially because of twists like characters dying, of course, which is good, but also partially because they're just really stingy about it. In 1 and 2 I'm not even sure it was possible to fully complete relationships with the entire cast of end-game survivors in a single play-through.

Ultimately, my favorite characters of the series are, in no particular order:
      Display Spoiler

- Nagito (ok I lied, there is an order: Nagito is the best).
      - Kokichi Oma (I agree with your analysis of him, @John)
      - Junko Enoshima
      - Byakuya Togami
      - Sakura Ogami
      - Maki Harukawa
      - Fuyuhiko Kuzuryuu
      - Chiaki Nanami

And, of course.... Monokuma himself.
      V3 Ending

I...don't actually agree that V3's ending removed any sense of attachment, I thought it did a good job showing that even though in-universe it's fiction, from the point of view of the characters it was real. Their experiences were real to them, their struggles hurt them emotionally, etc.

Ultimately, I think that might've been the idea it was trying to sell, that just because something is fiction doesn't mean it doesn't matter, that it doesn't have a real impact on people.

I still think it was a bad ending, though.

As for raising the stakes...Fair for DR1, part of the reason the twist is hard to see coming is because it's kinda ridiculous. I think DR2 was fine, though, if for no other reason than because you come to it from DR1 and so know that something has to be going on. The writing is also, in both cases, fairly careful to keep the crisis personal, you're not gonna save the world with what you do here, it's entirely about what decisions the characters make as people, if they'll grow enough to make the right one or not.

As for relationships, the good news is that all 3 games come with a mode, unlocked after you beat the game, where you play through an alternate scenario where no one dies, giving you a chance to max relationships with whoever you want. They're a bit odd, because the relationship dialogues are the ones from the base game, even though the scenario is a bit different, so characters will occasionally refer to events that haven't happened, but it's a good way to learn more about them.

And yeah, favourite characters, well, lemme put together a list, likewise not in a specific order:

Character Rankings

Best Characters:
      Asahina
      Sakura
      Junko
      Kyoko

Chiaki
      Nagito
      Ibuki
      Fuyuhiko (for having some of the greatest character growth and for his line in the final trial of 2 where he wishes that he could see Peko again.)

Maki
      Kaito
      Kaede
      Kokichi

Worst Characters:
      Hifumi
      Hiyoko
      Teruteru
      Mikan (Not for her personality, exactly, but for the game designers creating a character like her. Why, game?)
      Miu
      K1-B0 (I don't know why, he just really gets on my nerves)

And Protagonists, from most-to-least liked:
      Kaede
      Hajime
      Toko (Ultra Despair Girls)
      Komaru (Ultra Despair Girls)
      Shuichi
      Makoto

Poor Makoto, it takes him until Chapter 4 to really get a personality, and even then it's kinda milquetoast. You know it's a bad sign when the kid who had his personality surgically removed has more of one than you do.

The post was edited 3 times, last by John ().

• John wrote:

As for relationships, the good news is that all 3 games come with a mode, unlocked after you beat the game, where you play through an alternate scenario where no one dies, giving you a chance to max relationships with whoever you want. They're a bit odd, because the relationship dialogues are the ones from the base game, even though the scenario is a bit different, so characters will occasionally refer to events that haven't happened, but it's a good way to learn more about them.
      True enough - but divorced from the context the relationships are much less compelling and interesting, so I haven't bothered to mess with those modes.
    • Ok, just checking! She was actually on my list too, and I cut her because I felt like my list was getting too long. Most of the ones I like I listed because I thought thye had good writing and character arcs, or had personalities that were just... really well-acted and led to fascinating trials. Aoi I just liked. As in, I'd likely enjoy her company in real life. Which I would not say for pretty much any of the others I listed. In real life I don't pick my friends based on their character arcs or the interesting problems they cause, after all!

oh, I gotta say: I loved the soundtracks for all three games. I wish the later games had been a bit more willing to experiment - they all reused a lot of the same tracks from #1 - but there was great stuff to be had each step of the way. My top three tracks for the series were probably...:

Trapped By The Ocean Scent. or, as I lovingly called it before I found out the official name,"Nagito's Theme". It's high-energy creepy and ominous with driving percussion and with piano accents. It's so unusual but also perfect for the series.

I really liked the core Dscussion theme, too, but there are so many good versions. For now I'm feeling Discussion -HEAT UP- [2nd Mix], but I might change my mind later. It's all about that... uh, I dunno even know what to call it, the noisy sound at 0:28.

It's got lots of great piano tracks, and I couldn't pick between New World Order and Beautiful Lie, so let's go with Mr. Monokuma's Extracurricular Lesson because man I love Danganronpa's take on creepy themes.

Is Despair girls worth playing at all? It looks.... pretty terrible. I'm afraid to watch much gameplay though in case the game is as easy to spoil as the main series' games are.

• I have...real conflicting opinions on Ultra Despair Girls.

The first thing that I have to say up-front is that it comes with content warnings. I stopped playing it after a (one-off, apparently) minigame built around avoiding sexual assault. Which was played for comedy. It's...more problematic than it sounds, frankly, for a variety of reasons.

The gameplay itself is fine. It's not great, it's not terrible. It's essentially somewhere between a 3rd person shooter and a puzzle game, with OK-but-not-amazing controls and puzzles.

The art is polarizing. I actually think they did a good job translating the 2D art into 3D character models, but I know some people really don't care for it.

The overall plot is...light on the ground, at least by the point I stopped playing (which is about half-way through, I think). It's there, and it ties into the overall series plot (and helps explain some backstory stuff), but it's not as tightly-paced and plotted as the core games.

The character stuff is generally pretty good! The two protagonists play off each other well, and I really like Komaru as a character. She feels like a Makoto with more drive and backbone. The other characters in it can be rather one-note, but they're fun enough. It also provides more insight on most of the cast of DR1, which was nice.

So, depending on how you feel about that content warning (as I said, it was enough to get me to stop playing), it might be worth-while.

The confounding factor is Danganronpa 3 (the anime, not V3, the game) which has a fair few references to the UDG plot. You can mostly figure it out, but some of the shocking reveals are gonna be more "huh?" without the context UDG provides.

If you don't feel like playing it then lemme just throw together a summary:

Ultra Despair Girls

So, before the start of DR1 Makoto's sister, Komaru, was kidnapped (hence that motive video Monokuma shows him). Ultra Despair Girls opens with her imprisoned in a rather nice apartment, having been unable to leave or talk to anyone for a year. The good news is that Byakuya has found her location and is leading a Future Foundation strike team to Towa City (where she's being held). The bad news is that shortly after he finds Komaru the city is flooded with human-sized Monokuma bots that proceed to rampage, killing any adult they can find. Fortunately he came prepared with some...megaphone-looking things that lets him remotely hack the Monokuma bots, and he gives one to Komaru. Despite that, the Monokuma attack causes Komaru to become separated from Byakuya (who is in turn captured).

While running from the Monokuma attack, Komaru runs into Toko, who had made her own way to Towa city to keep an eye on Byakuya. They're then both captured by the "Warriors of Hope", four children from a Hope's Peak feeder school who have decided to kill all adults due to the abuse they've grown up suffering. Also, Nagito (post-DR1, pre-DR2) is there as their slave, for some reason. They put bracelets on Toko and Komaru and release them as part of a city-wide LARP they're putting on, deciding that Toko and Komaru count as adults and should be hunted down.

As Komaru and Toko look for Byakuya and a way out of the city they come across other DR1 hostages (Hina's brother, Chihiro's dad, etc), who help flesh out the DR1 cast a bit before they die.

It's ultimately revealed that 3 of the Warriors of Hope are, well, just kids who were abused, and while they've done an immense amount of harm they've also been lead and manipulated by the fourth member, Monaka Towa. When Monaka was still in the Hope's Peak Elementary school she met Junko, but Junko didn't turn her to despair, Monaka hated her adopted family already (not without reason, admittedly) and the two hit it off, and Monaka used her family (the major robotics and manufacturing company the Towa Group) to build Monokumas for Junko and generally helped provide her with the resources required to put her plans into action.

Monaka's close ties with "Big Sis Junko" meant that she was devastated upon hearing about Junko's death, so she decided she'd make a new Ultimate Despair...specifically, Komaru. Her plan with turning the city into a post-apocalyptic horror game and having Monokumas show up and massacre every time Komaru seemed to be making progress was specifically to instill despair in her.

Ultimately Monaka's plan fails, the other Warriors of Hope are redeemed (the game originally implies they're dead, but they come back), Byakuya is rescued...but Komaru and Toko have to stay in Towa city to counter Monaka, as she still has access to the manufacturing resources to churn out Monokuma bots.

Oh, and Toko is kinda hardcore in this. She's come to an...understanding with Genocide Jill, and when she needs her other self's talents she tasers herself in the head to KO her Toko personality and allow Jill to rise to the surface.

The post was edited 4 times, last by John ().

• I couldn't really get into UDG, because the children annoyed me too much. Loved that Toko was in it, though. I'd be offended at the portrayal of schizophrenia and split personality, but I found it amusing more than anything. Toko's "relationship" with Byakuya was also kind of funny. Would be far less funny if Toko were a guy and Byakuya a girl. Toko calling Byakuya her master was just like... Lol okay.
    • Thanks for the info!

John wrote:

If you don't feel like playing it then lemme just throw together a summary:
      Before I read that summary, let me ask: what is the main source of enjoyment for people playing that game? Is it all about character moments and mystery solving, like the core games? It sounds like it's an action game with lots of narrative window dressing - is the actual game part fun, or is it really just about the narrative stuff? And even if it is just about narrative... is that narrative good? Would I be better off just watching youtube videos of the narrative moments?

You might not have all these answers, since you stopped playing midway through. No worries.

Also, RE minigames:
      Man, the minigames have all sucked. The various versions of hangman's gambit, the logic dive/logic drive, the minesweeper thing, the rhythm minigame, the sidescroller part in v3... I hate'em all. None of them are fun, and even if they were, they're really not the experience I want from these games. The least offensive ones are the logic dive from 2 and the one where you cut down people's words in 2 and v3, because at least they incorporate a little of the logic/evidence gameplay.

HOWEVER, they do one thing well: shake up the pacing and help accentuate pivotal moments. I think they'd be much better off trying to achieve that with variations on the normal trial gameplay though. The Mass Panic Debates and the team-based scrum parts from V3 are good examples of a better way to do it.
    • I don't think the plot of UDG is really the point. Once the premise is set up, which doesn't take all that long, there aren't all that many mysteries that I encountered. I suppose "why are the villains doing this?" and "Wait, what's [character from other DR game] doing here?", but that's about all I came across. (My summary does semi-spoil the ending, but that's mostly stuff I guessed from later references and a single very poorly-written summary I found somewhere).

It's essentially an action/puzzle game with a bit of story to justify it and some character stuff as it goes along.

It's a bit of a shame, because the character stuff is mostly solid, while the gameplay is just kinda there.