Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    Danganronpa Thread: High School Shenanigans
    • Serenity wrote:

Finished trial 2 of Danganronpa V3.

I legitimately liked Kirumi, but that's probably because I have thing for mother figures. I love Kokichi that little shit.
      I have no idea how so much people love Kokichi. He's one of the MOST irritating characters next to Nagito from 2. He's the type of character that makes no sense to be running around because other characters who want to survive would probably restrain him. Every word out of his mouth, I wanted to strangle him, and it gets WORSE later on. Just aagggghh. Literally the worst parts of Danganronpa v3 for me. .

The post was edited 1 time, last by insaney ().

• insaney wrote:

Serenity wrote:

I legitimately liked Kirumi, but that's probably because I have thing for mother figures. I love Kokichi that little shit.
      I have no idea how so much people love Kokichi. He's one of the MOST irritating characters next to Nagito from 2. He's the type of character that makes no sense to be running around because other characters who want to survive would probably restrain him. Every word out of his mouth, I wanted to strangle him, and it gets WORSE later on. Just aagggghh. Literally the worst parts of Danganronpa v3 for me. .
      lol Nagito is the best character in the whole series. I hated him at first, but after trial 5 in SDR2, I just wanted more of him. He's a crazy chaotic neutral, and though Kokichi isn't quite to the same level as him, he's a fair spiritual successor imo thus far. I've never seen a character quite like Nagito. I like the idea of role playing as him in Mafiascum.

Also, I liked Hiyoko Saionji a fair amount. I guess I get more enjoyment and relate more to the characters who are at least a little chaotic.
    • insaney wrote:

Serenity wrote:

Ehehehe.

So, I adore Kokichi and Nagito as characters. I dunno that I'd enjoy meeting Kokichi in real life, and I'd mostly have scorn for Nagito (though with some sympathy, dude's had a weird, very emotionally rough, life) but as characters they're great.

I could write a whole essay on how Nagito's views make perfect sense given his life, and how he's a delightful mirror of Makoto (their philosophies are almost identical, there's only one difference, and everything else that differs between them comes from it). As for Kokichi...well, that involves some end of game spoilers:

All of Danganronpa V3

So, I suspected from early on that Kokichi was faking. At first I thought he was lying about his ultimate talent, because why would the ultimate supreme leader boast about that? If you rule from the shadows then you rule from the shadows, you don't announce who you are. While his ultimate doesn't seem to have been a lie on his part, he did clearly misrepresent it. In-game documentation shows that his evil organization...mostly pulled juvenile pranks to cheer people up, and his secret base is essentially just a giant kid's toy box.

He's pretending to be much more evil than he actually is. The game never out-and-out states that, but that's how I choose to read the evidence.

So...why? Why pretend to be evil? I suspect he was trying to get on Monokuma's good side, at least at first. Make himself look like a petty, vindictive wildcard so that Monokuma would either discount him or try to use him in the game, giving him freedom he otherwise wouldn't have which he could use to try and turn the tables. What's more...he does strike against Monokuma and almost defeats him. When the chips are down he works with the others, using his evil persona to manipulate some of them, yes, but outright working with others and comes within spitting distance of breaking the whole game.

Kokichi was a hero pretending to be a villain, and I love him for it,

May those who accept their fate be granted happiness;

Those who defy it, glory!
    • John wrote:

insaney wrote:

Serenity wrote:

Ehehehe.
      So, I adore Kokichi and Nagito as characters. I dunno that I'd enjoy meeting Kokichi in real life, and I'd mostly have scorn for Nagito (though with some sympathy, dude's had a weird, very emotionally rough, life) but as characters they're great.

I could write a whole essay on how Nagito's views make perfect sense given his life, and how he's a delightful mirror of Makoto (their philosophies are almost identical, there's only one difference, and everything else that differs between them comes from it). As for Kokichi...well, that involves some end of game spoilers:

All of Danganronpa V3

So, I suspected from early on that Kokichi was faking. At first I thought he was lying about his ultimate talent, because why would the ultimate supreme leader boast about that? If you rule from the shadows then you rule from the shadows, you don't announce who you are. While his ultimate doesn't seem to have been a lie on his part, he did clearly misrepresent it. In-game documentation shows that his evil organization...mostly pulled juvenile pranks to cheer people up, and his secret base is essentially just a giant kid's toy box.

He's pretending to be much more evil than he actually is. The game never out-and-out states that, but that's how I choose to read the evidence.

So...why? Why pretend to be evil? I suspect he was trying to get on Monokuma's good side, at least at first. Make himself look like a petty, vindictive wildcard so that Monokuma would either discount him or try to use him in the game, giving him freedom he otherwise wouldn't have which he could use to try and turn the tables. What's more...he does strike against Monokuma and almost defeats him. When the chips are down he works with the others, using his evil persona to manipulate some of them, yes, but outright working with others and comes within spitting distance of breaking the whole game.

Kokichi was a hero pretending to be a villain, and I love him for it,

I despise their existences because acting like they do, they shouldn't be running around freely if the writers had no bias towards their type of character. They end up making things more difficult overall for everyone else. As soon as I saw him I was like he's going to survive almost to the end and turn out to be "good all along" and the "key" to winning because he's just a stupid wildcard asshole like Nagito. And he does, because the writers like that archetype. Also Kokichi gets two classmates killed. Especially one of the smartest ones who had more than enough talent to potentially create things to help them escape. So he's not a hero, more like an anti-hero I guess. But to me he's just an utter, utter asshole who should've been one of the first people killed for his antics (writers can't do that to their treasured predictable archetype though!) and acquires knowledge no one else could have. How does he know what's inside Rantaro's room? How does he know the vault combination? Rantaro's room isn't even opened until after his death. The secret message he starts writing on the rocks starts fairly early in the game IIRC. And then when he dies you get this sob story. I literally do not care about characters like him or Nagito, at all. They're written in there to make things dramatic and tension filled but the other classmates/would-be-murderers don't DO anything because it wouldn't turn out the way the writers want it. So the characters just leave them alone, and they turn out to be "good all along" or "actually the key to escaping/solving the mystery" or something, and then the characters feel sad, and I'm SUPPOSED to feel sad for irritating predictable messes of characters.

/rant

The post was edited 2 times, last by insaney ().

• insaney wrote:

I despise their existences because acting like they do, they shouldn't be running around freely if the writers had no bias towards their type of character. They end up making things more difficult overall for everyone else. As soon as I saw him I was like he's going to survive almost to the end and turn out to be "good all along" and the "key" to winning because he's just a stupid wildcard asshole like Nagito. And he does, because the writers like that archetype. Also Kokichi gets two classmates killed. Especially one of the smartest ones who had more than enough talent to potentially create things to help them escape. So he's not a hero, more like an anti-hero I guess. But to me he's just an utter, utter asshole who should've been one of the first people killed for his antics (writers can't do that to their treasured predictable archetype though!) and acquires knowledge no one else could have. How does he know what's inside Rantaro's room? How does he know the vault combination? Rantaro's room isn't even opened until after his death. The secret message he starts writing on the rocks starts fairly early in the game IIRC. And then when he dies you get this sob story. I literally do not care about characters like him or Nagito, at all. They're written in there to make things dramatic and tension filled but the other classmates/would-be-murderers don't DO anything because it wouldn't turn out the way the writers want it. So the characters just leave them alone, and they turn out to be "good all along" or "actually the key to escaping/solving the mystery" or something, and then the characters feel sad, and I'm SUPPOSED to feel sad for irritating predictable messes of characters.
      /rant
      Danganronpa 2

I mean, they don't let Nagito just wander around. When tied up he coaxes Mahiru and Babyface Gangsta to play the game just by talking to them. Tying him up didn't really stop him. :P Then, of course, once he's free no one has the courage to try and jump him again. When they do get the courage...he has a bomb and things don't go well.

On Nagito more generally, his history is literally an entire life of incredibly unlikely disasters and miracles occuring, often due to each other. One of his only happy memories is going on a vacation with his parents (who seem to have detested him)...but the plane they were on got hijacked. Good news is that the hijackers were hit by a freak meteor! Bad news is that so were his parents (they may have disliked him, but he loved them). Good news is that he inherited their massive fortune. That sort of thing keeps happening to him, so he's internalized the idea that tragedies inevitably lead into hopeful situations and that individuals have no control over their fate (how do you prepare against meteor strikes?)

His major difference from Makoto is that he holds that cultivating despair is a good because it will, inevitably, lead to hope. Other than that they're pretty much the same, which I do really like because, like most of 2, it goes into how a naive hope in, well, generic "hope" isn't enough.

That's really why I like him as a character. His point isn't to add random drama, he's a direct critique of and reflection on Makoto. His point is to get you to think about the philosophy of the characters. That he ends up contributing to two murders is almost a side factor.

Danganronpa V3

I do agree that Kokichi should've been locked up, though he doesn't out-and-out murder anyone. He talks Gonta into proactive self-defence (Miu sure wasn't innocent there, having created an entire virtual world for the express purpose of murdering Kokichi and not being caught), which is terrible, but is at least somewhat complicated by Miu's actions.

Also, Kokichi wasn't key to winning. His plan to win almost worked, but ultimately failed, and he was willing to commit suicide to try and get it to work.

Other stuff around him I've forgotten, it's been so long, so I can't speak to him knowing things he shouldn't have.

Edit: Removed unintentionally-confrontational bit.

The post was edited 2 times, last by John ().

• My favorite character in Dangan 1 was Toko Fukawa definitely. Her extreme emotions was oddly relatable for me, though I haven't really gotten too far into Ultra Despair Girls, because those children annoyed me. Second most favorite in the first game is probably Chihiro.

Top favorite character in SDR2 was both Chiaki and Komaeda. Most favorite character for me in DRV3 thus far is Kokichi, followed by Himiko.

I think this says a lot about me. Lol
    • You should definitely give the Danganronpa 3 anime a watch, as it gives a proper conclusion to the "Hope's Peak" storyline.

You might want to give UDG a look-in first. I've given my warning about it (re: sexual assault) a few times, and the gameplay never gets beyond "fine", but it does have some good character stuff between its leads and fleshes out the backstory a bit.

It also makes some scenes in Danganronpa 3 make more sense.

If nothing else, read a plot summary of it and then watch DR3.

• @John

I might watch the DR3 anime, actually.

I'll probably read through the plot summary of UDG, because honestly that game kind of annoys me, even though it has Toko in it, who I actually really like.

I don't know what people were talking about with DRV3's ending being bad. The ending was so befitting, because it means no more killing games. No more heartbreak and people getting killed.
    • I think most of the dislike for V3's ending is that it feels like a direct attack against the player. Like, consumers of Danganronpa media are the...evil force, if you will, powering the villains. It also retcons the other games to be fiction in-universe, though that's less of an issue because they were always fiction in our universe, but it's kinda unsettling to be told that even from their own PoV they weren't "real".

I'm mostly "meh" on it, because of the epilogue, but I spent most of the last trial being rather annoyed at how they were trying to have their cake and eat it too by making a fortune off of DR while simultaneously attacking people for consuming DR content.

Now, obviously, if DR was real and real people were going through the games as a form of entertainment then that would be monstrous, but it feels like the game is saying that consuming DR-esque content at all is wrong. I suspect that's not what it's trying to say, but it's not hard to read it that way.

• @John Thing is, though, is that Danganronpa has repeatedly subverted expectations on how its endings would be. Assuming you don't spoil yourself at all, all of the endings are basically out of left field if you go in chronological order. If you play Danganronpa 1 blind, you probably wouldn't suspect that the world essentially ended due to some high school girl, and a group of despair. The "bad" ending essentially implies that the world is relatively normal, and that the survivors minus Kyoko made it out, and are living their lives normally, but if you get the real ending, the game reveals that the world is in ruin. At the time, this was kind of unexpected. One would have suspected that the world would be dystopian, but not in the state that it was actually in, where everything is chaotic, and millions of people are dying.

With the second game, I never really expected everyone to be remnants of despair, even though it made sense in retrospect due to Monomi. I kept wondering who the mastermind was, but it turned out that the mastermind was the protagonist.

Same with the third game. It has all this build-up, but it went out of left field again to make commentary on its own game and fans. The ending continues to repeat the trend, even if it attacks the fanbase and breaks the fourth wall. It would been predictable to say that there were survivors after the asteroid thing, and that hope would win out at the end. Instead, they abandoned hope and despair altogether, and ended the killing games. Danganronpa isn't typically predictable except for probably the third and fourth trials in each game. Danganronpa has always had crazy third acts, and V3 is no different.

This is why I think that V3 actually was a really befitting end. I don't know if they could have done it any other way while continuing to go out of left field like the games have done repeatedly. With Danganronpa, I don't want predictability. Defying hope/despair, and the killing games themselves, felt better than just doing the hope/despair routine for a third time in a row.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Serenity ().

• So I'm not really gonna dive into discussion yet because I'm afraid of spoilers, but just wanted to throw out there:

I started Danganronpa 1 a week and a half ago because I heard here on ZU that it had trials like Ace Attorney (which I love!). I just bought and am downloading #3, having devoured the first two. So, thanks ZU! Or really, Serenity and John.

I thought the first one was much better, due to a tighter and more cohesive aesthetic, but still thoroughly enjoyed both.
    • @lord-of-shadow glad you like it so much. The games are surprisingly long, and I think you get a good bang for your buck.

As far as favorites go, V3 and 2 are really close, but I think that the second one is slightly more enjoyable for me. 2 has characters like Chiaki, Nagito, Kazuichi, and Hiyoko, though V3 has characters like Kaede, Kokichi, Maki, and Kaito. And if it wasn't apparent, I actually surprisingly liked V3's ending.
    • lord-of-shadow wrote:

So I'm not really gonna dive into discussion yet because I'm afraid of spoilers, but just wanted to throw out there:

I started Danganronpa 1 a week and a half ago because I heard here on ZU that it had trials like Ace Attorney (which I love!). I just bought and am downloading #3, having devoured the first two. So, thanks ZU! Or really, Serenity and John.

I thought the first one was much better, due to a tighter and more cohesive aesthetic, but still thoroughly enjoyed both.
      Hah, glad to hear it!

I found that I came away from DR2 enjoying it less than DR1 on my first playthrough, but on a second one it held up much better than the original title. I couldn't specifically say why, but I found I enjoyed the character stuff more in 2 (...with a couple of exceptions) and the tempered look it took at hope, the good and bad sides of it, more engaging than the somewhat one-note view 1 took.

Plus, 2 has my favourite character in the series, Nagito, so...

Much like I suggested for Serenity, I'd suggest watching the DR3 anime (it should be on Crunchyroll) to get the finale of the "Hope's Peak Saga". It's not flawless, and I enjoy the games more, but it does fill in most of the details and provides closure to the whole thing.

Just...content warnings. I'm doing a rewatch of it and there's a few scenes I'd forgotten about that out-gore anything in the games. One in particular is...eesh. It fits, and I get what they were trying to do, but it's still pretty shocking.

• Danganronpa v3: They Got a Budget

V3's UI and general control feels so, so much better than the previous ones. Moving around the world was painful in 2, and look/camera controls were always a little weird. They benefitted so much from just using an existing engine where they could take the default FPS movement + aiming. And the game is so much more polished all-around. Little touches like... it's twice as fast to use the vending machine, or they actually put the chracter name in a spot above the text that makes it easy to tell who's talking (screw you v2!).

Also: The track "Beautiful Lie" is great. I'm excited to see what they did with the rest of this game's soundtrack.

Do you guys play with Japanese or english voices? I immediately chose Japanese because of the... extremely Japanese nature of the game, and the kind of low-budget VO for the first game. I can tell when voice acting is bad in English, but I can't in Japanese! I wouldn't be surprised if V3 has better english voices by now, but I'm used to it this way.

Display Spoiler
      It's driving me a little nuts that they changed the voice actor for Monokuma though. I guess the previous VO retired so they didn't have much choice, but still - they didn't succeed at finding someone with a similar voice.

Also, so far I'm not finding characters I care for - in the previous two games it was hard to choose who to pursue friendships with at first because there were so many interesting choices. So far I haven't found anyone really likable in the cast - I assume that'll change as I spend more time with them though.

Super glad that they have a female main character this time around. Interesting though that she's the most characterized and talkative protagonist so far. Less of an audience surrogate and more of a character in her own right.
      Pronouns: He/Him

The post was edited 1 time, last by Max N. ().

• I actually went English VA for all the games + the anime.

DR1 had a few rough line reads, but it also had some really good ones, especially from Kiyoko, Monokuma, and Toko. Also from Genocide Jill, whose English VA is great (Y'know when Jill goes all "Oh, that's just the The Biggest, Most Awful, Most Tragic Event in Human History"? She just rattles that off in one breath, and it's great), and Junko, who is just *chef's kiss*, nailing all those many different voices.

DR2 I had zero complaints about the English VA for, and it kept up the trend of solid performances. When it gives the characters dramatic moments they nail it (Fuyuhiko has one line read that breaks my heart every time I hear it) and most of the more incidental stuff works well.

For V3 I also enjoyed the English VA, and it, notably, casts Gurren Lagann's Kamina as Kaito, which works flawlessly.

The weird thing for using English VAs is that 3 (the anime, not V3, the game) keeps most, but not all, of the game VAs. The most noticeable one being Monokuma, who goes from being voiced by the English VA for Augumon from Digimon to sounding like a stereotypical used car salesman. The other big change (spoilers for DR1 and 2) is Junko, who in the anime goes full-on valley girl. It's not bad, it actually works fairly well, but it's a really jarring change from the games.

So, should you ever decide to replay the games, especially DR2, I'd suggest giving the English VA a chance. If it doesn't work for you then it doesn't work for you, but I was mostly impressed by it, as someone who usually goes for subtitles on imported works.

As for V3:

Display Spoiler
      Overall I also found V3 the hardest to find really interesting characters in, at first. By the end there were a half-dozen that I quite liked, but it took a while on some of 'em, and it probably had my highest count of characters I just did not care for (though at least there was no Teruteru, thank the gods).

The UI and gameplay were much improved, and they walked back the "Improved" Hang Man's Gambit into a form that's not abysmal, which are all very much pluses.

I also very much agree that Kaede is a great protagonist. It's real nice to have a lead with a clear personality. Like, Hajime was a definite step up over Makoto in that regard, but he was still kinda just along for the ride, while Kaede starts taking the initiative immediately.

Edit:
      Danganronpa 1 Spoilers

IMDB has two VAs for Junko in English, one of whom also voiced Toko and the other of whom voiced Genocide Jill, which I honestly didn't know. I figured Jill and Toko shared a VA and that Junko only had one. So big props on their ability to blend those. Also kinda amusing that the three standout performances were shared across two people in a bit of an odd way.

The post was edited 5 times, last by John ().