Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    Would remade, completely re-imagined past titles be a good idea?
    • Kokiri Kid wrote:

Aside from some pacing issues and maybe a bit too much handholding, SS is perfect as is. And if you think some of its areas felt too small, you must not have played any Zelda game prior to WW. Seriously, Hyrule and Termina Fields on the N64/3DS look pathetic.
      The 3D Zelda games may be linear but SS makes them look non-linear. SS is the most linear, emptiest Zelda game of all. The sky looked empty, there was not a lot of things to do in the sky, there were only three regions you can visit and you have to go back to them like four times in the game because Nintendo was too lazy to make more regions. At least the other 3D Zelda games had an overworld that had more places you can interact with and more regions to go through.
    • Why put all this effort into remaking old games when they could put it into a completely new game?

Although I'm all for a 'requel', something in between a remake and a sequel. A new Link's Awakening, with BotW-link ending up on a similar island? I'd love that.
      100% | Finished | Now playing:
      TLoZ | 2nd Q | TAoL | ALttP | LA | LA DX | OoT | OoT MQ | MM | OoA | OoS | ALttP (GBA) | FS | TWW | FSA | TMC | TP | LCT | PH | ST | OoT 3D | FS AE | SS | ALBW | MM 3D | TFH | TP HD | BotW
    • I don’t really care for a complete reimagining, because at that point you might as well make a new game/sequel, but I like when new content is added.

For example, rather than completely change OoT’s plot by adding more to the Seven Sages, maybe incorporate Wind Waker’s Master Sword upgrading through Sages. This would allow us to get more dungeons and areas, while also keeping the original game in tact.

Some new areas could be added, like a City in the Sky (Rito), a snowy mountain (Yeti?), and maybe an underground technologically advanced city (Home to the Mogmas from SS, maybe?). Other areas can also be expanded upon, with new content and other such things)
      I would pace the game like so;
      1. 4 child Dungeons. Maybe add another Spiritual Stone. Wind? I could see a dungeon where you are on the back of a Leviathan, since the child dungeons tend to revolve around giant beasts.
      2. Then, you’d pull the Master Sword, and do the Light Temple. This would be a purely puzzle based dungeon, no weapons, that proves you would be worthy to wield the sword.
      3. Then you’d be Adult Link, but oh no! The Master Sword is weak. You need to awaken it to be able to awaken the Seven Sages. Here we’d have maybe three dungeons. I’m thinking have the Wind Temple, Ice Temple and Thunder Temple. Once you awaken these Sages, you can continue.
      4. Finish the rest as normal.

This creates a somewhat fresh experience while keeping the original together. Maybe you could incorporate the MS Sages throughout the others, (e.g. Light, Forest, then Wind, Fire, Water, then Ice, Shadow, Spirit, then finally Thunder) to mix things up a bit.

That’s just my ideas.
    • Canyarion wrote:

Why put all this effort into remaking old games when they could put it into a completely new game?

Although I'm all for a 'requel', something in between a remake and a sequel. A new Link's Awakening, with BotW-link ending up on a similar island? I'd love that.
      You've got a point, but there's just something about the nostalgia of an existing game being given the 'wish list' treatment that we, in the time when we played it, lamented not having. Something like an extension to make it feel like this game will never end, and be as perfect as we can imagine. So yes, a new game would probably be the more sensible option in the long run, but it too will succumb to the same cycle of 'if only it had XYZ...' and leave us with pangs of unrequited dreams down the road.

TheCraigadile wrote:

I don’t really care for a complete reimagining, because at that point you might as well make a new game/sequel, but I like when new content is added.

For example, rather than completely change OoT’s plot by adding more to the Seven Sages, maybe incorporate Wind Waker’s Master Sword upgrading through Sages. This would allow us to get more dungeons and areas, while also keeping the original game in tact.

Some new areas could be added, like a City in the Sky (Rito), a snowy mountain (Yeti?), and maybe an underground technologically advanced city (Home to the Mogmas from SS, maybe?). Other areas can also be expanded upon, with new content and other such things)
      I would pace the game like so;
      1. 4 child Dungeons. Maybe add another Spiritual Stone. Wind? I could see a dungeon where you are on the back of a Leviathan, since the child dungeons tend to revolve around giant beasts.
      2. Then, you’d pull the Master Sword, and do the Light Temple. This would be a purely puzzle based dungeon, no weapons, that proves you would be worthy to wield the sword.
      3. Then you’d be Adult Link, but oh no! The Master Sword is weak. You need to awaken it to be able to awaken the Seven Sages. Here we’d have maybe three dungeons. I’m thinking have the Wind Temple, Ice Temple and Thunder Temple. Once you awaken these Sages, you can continue.
      4. Finish the rest as normal.

This creates a somewhat fresh experience while keeping the original together. Maybe you could incorporate the MS Sages throughout the others, (e.g. Light, Forest, then Wind, Fire, Water, then Ice, Shadow, Spirit, then finally Thunder) to mix things up a bit.

That’s just my ideas.
      It basically sounds like DLC for ports of past games, so why not? I'm down for that, although I wouldn't mind a graphical upgrade while they're at it for some or all of them. My complaint about ALBW was really that if the entire map is essentially identical, why bother? THAT type of re-imagining just doesn't work, as it's almost identical to a new coat of paint and nothing more. Re-imaginings that expand on existing elements, though, that's a winning formula. So yes to more masks in a Majora's Mask re-release, to be sure.

I did feel irritated about there not being a Light Temple that Rauru would need to award you the Light Medallion for completing instead of just giving it to you for no good reason and not having to earn it. THAT would have been the ideal place to get the Hookshot when you first arrived in Hyruin (my dumb way of lumping in Hyrule with Final Fantasy VI's World of Ruin). Wouldn't it have been more interesting for Sheik to be the one to first greet Link and accommodate him awakening into his new body and the world after 7 years? There'd be more opportunity to see interactions between them beyond just the teaching of warping songs. Frankly I'd rather have ONE warping song like in Majora's Mask, and let other songs fill out the remaining spaces (apart from the Scarecrow's song, it would leave 4 new ones to play around with). That would make for some better puzzles in the new dungeons.

If there was a city in the sky, I think Owls might have been the ideal avians for that setting (at least in the N64 style). They could have made the Ice Cavern into a proper, full-length dungeon and let it be Young Link who has to go in there to acquire the Iron Boots for Adult Link, the way he had to be the one to find the Lens of Truth and Silver Gauntlets. You could have a wasteland (non-desert) to cross that has tons of thunder and lightning leading to a large temple where Adult Link has to put the Master Sword into a thing in the floor like in the Temple of Time and it turns him into Young Link without actually going back in time, and only Young Link can actually do the temple, to power up the devices inside which will in turn empower the Master Sword as it sits there, so when Young Link comes back out again to get it, he becomes Adult Link again and has an extra-powerful Master Sword. At full health, it could even shoot out lightning blasts like how Fierce Deity Link's sword does. It could be a little stronger than it is in the original game too, almost but not quite as much as the Biggoron's sword, but not having the difficulty of being held in both hands.

If it were up to me, I'd have OOT also incorporate a sort of chain of item acquisition where in order to advance to the next dungeon, you need not only the item from the previous dungeon, but one from elsewhere as you're heading to it. Like on the way to Jabu-Jabu, you'd actually NEED the Silver Scale to get the bottle and can't advance without it. I have ideas for items that could be implemented for going into the other dungeons but that's for another thread.
    • PurpleandRed wrote:

there were only three regions you can visit and you have to go back to them like four times in the game because Nintendo was too lazy to make more regions.
      Say what you will about SS, but don't you dare accuse Nintendo of being lazy. There's a reason console Zelda games take an increasingly ridiculous number of year to make.

Canyarion wrote:

Requels (glad to see someone else using the term) are the absolute worst on a conceptual level. They try to do two different things at once and fail to do a proper job with either. Sure, The Force Awakens and ALBW aren't bad, per say, I just don't see how the requel elements benefit them. TFA would've been better without a planet destroyer, and with a Jakku that didn't look like Tatooine, and ALBW would've been better with a new overworld or as a straight-up remake.

TheCraigadile wrote:

I don’t really care for a complete reimagining, because at that point you might as well make a new game/sequel, but I like when new content is added.
      Yeah, you gotta keep it close enough to the original to be considered a remake.

Bomb Arrow wrote:

I did feel irritated about there not being a Light Temple that Rauru would need to award you the Light Medallion for completing instead of just giving it to you for no good reason and not having to earn it. THAT would have been the ideal place to get the Hookshot when you first arrived in Hyruin (my dumb way of lumping in Hyrule with Final Fantasy VI's World of Ruin). Wouldn't it have been more interesting for Sheik to be the one to first greet Link and accommodate him awakening into his new body and the world after 7 years? There'd be more opportunity to see interactions between them beyond just the teaching of warping songs. Frankly I'd rather have ONE warping song like in Majora's Mask, and let other songs fill out the remaining spaces (apart from the Scarecrow's song, it would leave 4 new ones to play around with). That would make for some better puzzles in the new dungeons.
      Sure, we eventually got the Temple of Light (implicitly) in TP, but it really should've been in OoT. Admittedly, I never felt like it was "missing", but it wouldn't hurt. They should've added in the 3DS version, but they went full preservationist with that remake, unfortunately. I mean, they should always the option to play without gameplay changes in remakes, but the default game should have new features. Or at least orchestrate the music. You know, the bare minimum.

I've been saying for a year now that Saria's Song should've been the Song of Space, and acted as a single universal warp song. Besides, half the Sage songs don't even fit the six note structure. Of course, it would also be in MM, replacing the eargrating atrocity that is the Song of Soaring.
      The Twilight Realm was basically wizard Australia where every naughty banished person was transformed into some sort of harmless albino penguins.
      ~ Gamtos

WW is Nintendo's Up, basically. Link is Russell, Tetra is Doug, and uh, I guess maybe Tingle is Kevin?

~ Gregarious Tree
    • Kokiri Kid wrote:

Requels (glad to see someone else using the term) are the absolute worst on a conceptual level. They try to do two different things at once and fail to do a proper job with either.
      The term 'requel' makes a lot of sense and I don't understand why not more people use it. :)

But I don't agree that it's a bad concept. Playing on a very familiar map in ALBW was fun. That's what makes sequels fun, the familiarity. A requel is something very close to the original, but different enough to be fresh. I like it.

The Force Awakens is another story though. I liked the movie, but I disliked all the 'remake' stuff. The same X-Wings, the same story, the same threat... boring!
      100% | Finished | Now playing:
      TLoZ | 2nd Q | TAoL | ALttP | LA | LA DX | OoT | OoT MQ | MM | OoA | OoS | ALttP (GBA) | FS | TWW | FSA | TMC | TP | LCT | PH | ST | OoT 3D | FS AE | SS | ALBW | MM 3D | TFH | TP HD | BotW
    • Personally, I usually prefer the re-releases of my old favourites to stay faithful to the original. I don't think it should lean towards feeling like a new game, but rather towards something that de-ages the old game. For example, for me increasing OoT's twenty frames per second to the remake's thirty frames was a more reasonable change than how they made the whole game significantly more colourful and brighter. So what I prefer is more like a remaster if anything. Another good example is TWW HD's faster sail, but its change in visuals? Not so sure.

Rather than a "requel" though, I feel like I'd rather see a new game, so for example instead of ALBW (don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say it was a bad game) I would have preferred that old school-type of gameplay in a brand new environment as opposed to one I was already familiar with. Like say, a third Oracle game or simply a brand new title with no great connection to the previous games.

So to answer the OP's question, I would generally say no, even for the older games that could need it the most. LoZ was recently released with an easy mode of sorts in the Switch Online library, that kind of change seems simpler to me than remaking it. We arguably already have reimaginings of it in the form of some of the other titles. AoL can arguably become more playable by using save states to fix problems like having to run all the way back from the starting point when getting a game over or when things get absurdly tough. Although perhaps it could benefit from the kind of official "rom hack" LoZ recently received.

I'd personally take TMC with high-resolution sprites and a higher framerate, it wouldn't be necessary but it'd be fun for me. Although that sounds more like a remaster to me than a remake, or maybe I'm wrong.

But it's a matter of preferences, and not necessarily something that's good business for the company, which one of course assumes is a higher priority for them.

The post was edited 4 times, last by ich Will ().

• ich Will wrote:

For example, for me increasing OoT's twenty frames per second to the remake's thirty frames was a more reasonable change than how they made the whole game significantly more colourful and brighter.
      Glad someone else noticed this change. I can't bring myself to dislike it because the 3DS remakes have without a doubt my favorite artstyle of any Zelda game. However, I value art preservation. Just because I prefer the new one, doesn't mean we shouldn't have the old one.
      The Twilight Realm was basically wizard Australia where every naughty banished person was transformed into some sort of harmless albino penguins.
      ~ Gamtos

WW is Nintendo's Up, basically. Link is Russell, Tetra is Doug, and uh, I guess maybe Tingle is Kevin?

~ Gregarious Tree
    • ich Will wrote:

@Kokiri Kid Agreed, I think OoT 3D looks good but I also think it's missing some of what the original style conveyed.
      Well, the character designs do look a bit too anime-like with the big eyes but Zelda 3D games have this. I think the character design looks more beautiful but they could've shrunk the eyes more.

The post was edited 1 time, last by PurpleandRed ().

• Right now, I would like Nintendo for the next main title to just pretend that the previous 19 Zelda titles don't exist, and make a big game that doesn't have to care about the previous installments (especially when it comes to story/lore) and just go wild with it. Also that they should have the freedom to use ideas and concepts that comes straight out from previous titles. I hate the mindset "we have already used that idea once before, so let's come up with something new". That kind of mindset is the negative part of series that have a lot of installments. Sure there will always be people that will be complaining that a new title takes "too much" from earlier titles... but complainers will always exist and a new game will always get criticism no matter what.

So basically, I want a new game with potentially new rules, and that at the same time can freely take stuff from earlier titles. Like having Zelda for example take the form of Sheik if it would make sense plotwise, or having Ganondorf visit the king again (and therefore pretend that OoT doesn't exist).
    • There's no way they'll ever outdo the artstyle of OoT/MM 3D. It's just perfect. I love color, so I'm all for the way they cranked up the saturation beyond that of any other game in the series. As for the eyes, I like the look of anime, and like you said, 3D Zelda always looks like anime (except that one weird time in 2002).
      ~ Gamtos

~ Gregarious Tree
    • Yeah, the anime look kind of makes sense given the official OoT artworks. Then again, the artworks don't necessarily represent the graphics - TP Link and SS Link looked significantly different in the games compared to their official artworks.

But yeah, the 3DS remakes are pretty (even if they in my opinion reduce the more serious tone of the original to some extent), I wonder how that art style would look on modern hardware in a new game.

The post was edited 1 time, last by ich Will ().

• ich Will wrote:

TP Link and SS Link looked significantly different in the games compared to their official artworks.
      Not really.
      ~ Gamtos

~ Gregarious Tree
    • What about remaking Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks in the Wind Waker HD engine? It's never gonna happen because no one seems to like those games, but it'd be neat. DS 3D graphics haven't aged well.
      ~ Gamtos

~ Gregarious Tree

The post was edited 1 time, last by Kokiri Kid ().

• I feel like this would be completely consistent with what Nintendo has been doing. As I have always said, I firmly believe that is what OoT was originally intended to be: a retelling or fleshing out of ALttP. The only thing holding them back would the fan's attachment to canon. They certainly don't have the same attachment we do.
      My philosophy on the timeline now is the same as Winston Churchill’s:

“It is a mistake to look too far ahead. The chain of destiny can only be grasped one Link at a time.”
    • Nintendo never sacrifices gameplay for story. The only time they did something for continuity (using Demise instead of Ganon for SS) was because one of the game's main selling points was that it was an origin story.
      ~ Gamtos

~ Gregarious Tree

The post was edited 1 time, last by Kokiri Kid ().