Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    A Race of Pawns OOC
    • Taking a break but I think all I need to add now are tool/equipment proficiencies and fill out the background portion.

I will also be adding Cantrips in, but they won't be used before level 3 anyway. Moreso for context of the character who can already perform basic magic. So we shouldn't need to wait on cantrips to start the game.
    • @Ruki

Ari would either deal with the unnamed tanner at the trading company, or, for larger sales and/or contracts with Snapping Lutestring, the Kenku Seneschal. If you'd like to name and characterize the tanner as either a positive or negative force in Ari's life feel free.

And yup, overhall of the OP will be coming shortly.

@Keith some little things:

*Unless I'm missing something your initiative is your dex modifier, and your AC in leather armorr is your dex modifier plus 11. These should be +2 and 13 respectively.

*Your intelligence score is written in as 13 but your modifier is calculated as if it were a 14 and you have the points to take it up to 14. I'm guessing the 13 is a typo.

*Your persuasion and deception skill checks are at +7 with the expertise, not +5.

*All your weapons are finesse weapons. You should probably either note this or add in your dex bonus to attack and damage on the table.
      ~~~
      Although postsocratics like St. Augustine and Judith Butler explored a diverse set of ethical and metaphysical ideas, their unifying feature as a movement was a principled refusal to speculate upon which of the four elements the world was made out of.
      ~~~

boxes is the best human and I am going to get her a kitten or 2 kittens
    • Foo wrote:

Ya know, I thought having three Europeans and three Americans might balance the time zone issue but it really doesn't work that way when all the Euros are up till 4 AM every day :P
      Excuse you

I'm up until 6AM every day. :p

Also, question: how would the people in the region react to seeing a heavily armed yuan-ti walking around?
    • SacredSturgeon wrote:

Also, question: how would the people in the region react to seeing a heavily armed yuan-ti walking around?

The dwarves are predictably utilitarian: it doesn't matter much what you look like; they'll follow the code of hospitality and hold an "innocent until proven guilty" attitude until you give them reason not to. As far as the "heavily armoured warrior" side of things goes, as show of power makes you of political interest to both management and labour so expect both sides to try to gain some influence over her.

The trading company has an obvious preference for eccentricity; no problems there. If you go looking for business from the 50%-crow-thing it won't be particularly bothered that you're a 10%-snake-thing.

All the farmers/ranchers/hunters in the area, though, it'll be a case-by-case basis. A good half of them are going to be xenophobic and/or superstitious. Such is life.

---

At this point, it looks like the only work left to do is in the little details and I want to get things rolling, so the IC thread should go up in the next hour or so. See ya there.
      ~~~
      Although postsocratics like St. Augustine and Judith Butler explored a diverse set of ethical and metaphysical ideas, their unifying feature as a movement was a principled refusal to speculate upon which of the four elements the world was made out of.
      ~~~

• appearance section added. So that you don't have to look it up, here it is:

Standing at about 5'8'', Njáll has the usual features of the drow: ebony skin, ivory white hair, pale blue eyes. The soft, rounded features of his face, the gentle curves of his body, and his high-tenor to low-alto voice sometimes cause people to confuse him with a woman, despite his best efforts to appear masculine. His hair is shaved short on the sides and left fairly long on top, tied into a braid at the back of his head. He wears warm, woolen travelling clothes dyed in earthy tones of gray, brown, and green, as well as brown leather boots and gloves, and a black leather chest piece studded with silvery spikes of steel. He carries one rapier by his side, and another one across his back with the rest of his equipment.
      PM me about the LGBTA+ discord server | #WontBeErased

gender of the moment: | pronouns: it/its
    • Yeah yeah.

Cooperative RPs over a chat service can be posted directly into the game thread. Beyond that, I know most of you are working on expanding backstories one way or another and I'm going to continue to expand on the setting. I'd love to have a place for stuff like that, but I'm not sure this OOC thread is appropriate for that content and I'm not sure we can justify or make good use of three threads. What I *might* want to do is call this OOC thread "done", move all management-style discussion to Discord (which is already where Ruki, Sturs, Sami, and Keith are primarily talking to me anyway) and then open a thread for long form RP outside of the game's present.

RP mods, does that make sense?

(Lys I'm Foo#9177 on Discord)
      ~~~
      ~~~

• Sure that's fine! You can keep the OoC thread here and just do what a lot of other games do where people use it to keep track of important announcements so it doesn't get lost or anything they might want to post like comics or drawings. It's a good place to keep all "others." Also its perfectly fine for a campaign to have multiple threads for RPs.

:heart: Rinn “Arwyn” Nailo drawn by Liah :heart:
      Rakshael: if I know one thing about Ruki, it's that she'll prove you wrong just for the sake of saying she did it
      Characters | The Time Lost | The Rumors We Believe | Ruki's Reviews
    • Hi everyone, here's a new map of Eistwood.

Edit: There are houses n things in the main town but for the love of balls I'm not drawing that. The buildings in the market are large, at least larger than what a family home would be. (Each roof can fit many stalls underneath in case of weather.)
      [signature by RealmWings]

The post was edited 2 times, last by boxes ().

• OK, so I feel we're a bit into the woods here! I love the interaction we're getting in the game thread, but because the out-of-twn group is lagging behind Sami and boxes in the storyline some players aren't left with anything to do, which is no bueno. It's also harder than I expected, in a situation like this, to identify which posts are and are not progressing the story and so earning XP rewards. So here's the plan:

1) Applied retroactively: when I want to move the game forward, I'll include a "narrative goals" section in my daily check in. This will be in the style of my first post in the game thread ("try to get to tell me what you eat, how you get prepared, how you get to the market"). The 30 XP reward will be associated specifically with completing - or at least attempting to complete - these tasks.

2) When you want to play out a conversation between multiple PCs in posts that will be 1 or 2 lines, I'd like you to strongly consider just having some pointer in the game thread ("Ari set out for the market but was waylaid by an encounter with an old acquaintance they never thought they'd see again") which links in to the newly added Devils and Details thread, where the PC-to-PC RP can then be compelted by post or in a char transcript which gets copied over.

I understand that this will leave us juggling a few more narrative balls then we have been. If we'd been following this system from the beginning then Ari, Njall, and Amaiel might be arriving in town as a group right now in the game thread while the nature of their relationship was still being established in the Devils and Details thread. As writers, though, I think you're all more than capable than handling this :P If it turns out to be uncomfortable or unfun we can try something different.

There will be a more in-depth system for XP rewards in the details thread, so players who've already created significant content and will continue to do so can be properly rewarded. System for that forthcoming later today, assuming we're all OK with this system.

Is that sensible? Is that OK? >>
      ~~~
      ~~~

The post was edited 1 time, last by Foo ().

• Please! I mean, do whatever it take to make the transition elegant/readable, but yeah the sooner the current discussion between Ari, Njall and Amaeil moves into the details thread the sooner we can push ahead.
      ~~~
      ~~~

• Towards a general ruleset for XP awards:

Goals
      1) Sensible timing. If people are, on one hand, playing through a combat scenario in the game thread and, on the other, posting backstory information in the details thread I don't want to award them XP in a way that causes them to level up in the middle of battle. This is awkward anc creates weird incentives. Thus, no matter where or how XP is earned, there needs to be constraints on where it is assigned.

2) Fair treatment. Some players are more willing and more able to post RP then others. That's entirely fine. Not everyone signed up with the time or inclination for heavy character building. If a player decides they essentially never want to use the details thread then that is there prerogative and I don't want them to feel like they're falling impossibly far behind the party as a result. As the same time, if the players who *are* putting more time in aren't being given incentives then the game will stall and die. A balance is critical.

First Draft Rules

PCs earn XP when you post:

1) Short fiction by the players along detailing backstories for their characters - 30 XP per unique narrative, up to a max of 150 XP.
      2) Transcripts of player-to-player and player-to-GM collaborative RPs which take place over chat clients - 30 XP per character per log, no more than once each calendar week.
      3) Finishing posts, where multiple players get together in the details thread to add details and dialog to an interaction which is glossed over in the game thread - 30 XP per character per encounter (and note the rate of encounters requiring finishing is under the DM's discretion).

This PC XP is rewarded:

1) The next time progress is tallied and the character status sheet is updated in the game thread, if the characters are in a casual, friendly setting.
      2) At the next short or long rest, if the characters are adventuring, in combat, in a skill challenge, etc.
      ~~~
      ~~~

• Hello. Never really played D&D, beyond trying it once or twice last year. I'd like to try it. Am I in the right place?
      The Twilight Realm was basically wizard Australia where every naughty banished person was transformed into some sort of harmless albino penguins.
      ~ Gamtos

WW is Nintendo's Up, basically. Link is Russell, Tetra is Doug, and uh, I guess maybe Tingle is Kevin?

~ Gregarious Tree