Proficiency: +2
      HP CURRENT: 9
      HP MAX: 9 [6 + 3]
      HIT DIE: 1d6
      AC: 12
      Initiative: 2
      Movement Speed: 30

Armor Proficiencies: None
      Weapons Proficiencies: Daggers, Darts, Slings, Quarterstaffs, Light Crossbows
      Tools Proficiencies: Land Vehicles, Farm Implements
      Languages: Common, Dwarvish

SKILLS
      Acrobatics (Dex): +2
      Animal Handling (Wis): +5 [Prof]
      Arcana (Int): +5 [Prof]
      Athletics (Str): +1
      Deception (Cha): +2
      History (Int): +3
      Insight (Wis): +3
      Intimidation (Cha): +2
      Investigation (Int): +5 [Prof]
      Medicine (Wis): +3
      Nature (Int): +5 [Prof]
      Perception (Wis): +3
      Performance (Cha): +2
      Persuasion (Cha): +2
      Religion (Int): +3
      Sleight of Hand (Dex): +2
      Stealth (Dex): +2
      Survival (Wis): +3

WEAPONS
      Dagger
      1d20+3 | 1d4+1 | Piercing | Finesse, Light, Range, Thrown | 20/60

SPELLCASTING
      Spell Save DC: 13 [8 + 2 + 3]
      Spell Attack Modifier: 5 [2 + 3]
      Prepared Spells:

SPELL SLOTS:
      Cantrips: 3
      First Level: 2

CANTRIPS
      Mage Hand

Mage Hand
      Cantrip conjuration

Casting Time: 1 action
      Range: 30 ft
      Components: V S
      Duration: 1 minute
      Classes: Bard, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard
      A spectral, floating hand appears at a point you choose within range. The hand lasts for the duration or until you dismiss it as an action. The hand vanishes if it is ever more than 30 feet away from you or if you cast this spell again.

You can use your action to control the hand. You can use the hand to manipulate an object, open an unlocked door or container, stow or retrieve an item from an open container, or pour the contents out of a vial. You can move the hand up to 30 feet each time you use it.

The hand can't attack, activate magical items, or carry more than 10 pounds.

Prestidigitation

Prestidigitation
      Cantrip transmutation

Range: 10 ft
      Duration: 1 hour
      Classes: Bard, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard
      This spell is a minor magical trick that novice spellcasters use for practice. You create one of the following magical effects within range.

You create an instantaneous, harmless sensory effect, such as a shower of sparks, a puff of wind, faint musical notes, or an odd odor.

You instantaneously light or snuff out a candle, a torch, or a small campfire.

You instantaneously clean or soil an object no larger than 1 cubic foot.

You chill, warm, or flavor up to 1 cubic foot of nonliving material for 1 hour.

You make a color, a small mark, or a symbol appear on an object or a surface for 1 hour.

You create a nonmagical trinket or an illusory image that can fit in your hand and that lasts until the end of your next turn.

If you cast this spell multiple times, you can have up to three of its non-instantaneous effects active at a time, and you can dismiss such an effect as an action.

Ray of Frost

Ray Of Frost
      Cantrip evocation

Range: 60 ft
      Duration: Instantaneous
      Classes: Sorcerer, Wizard
      A frigid beam of blue-white light streaks toward a creature within range. Make a ranged spell attack against the target. On a hit, it takes 1d8 cold damage, and its speed is reduced by 10 feet until the start of your next turn.

The spell's damage increases by 1d8 when you reach 5th level (2d8), 11th level (3d8), and 17th level (4d8).

SPELLBOOK:
      FIRST LEVEL
      Alarm

Alarm
      1 abjuration (ritual)

Casting Time: 1 minute
      Range: 30 ft
      Components: V S M (A tiny bell and a piece of fine silver wire)
      Duration: 8 hours
      Classes: Ranger, Wizard
      You set an alarm against unwanted intrusion. Choose a door, a window, or an area within range that is no larger than a 20-foot cube. Until the spell ends, an alarm alerts you whenever a tiny or larger creature touches or enters the warded area. When you cast the spell, you can designate creatures that won't set off the alarm. You also choose whether the alarm is mental or audible.

A mental alarm alerts you with a ping in your mind if you are within 1 mile of the warded area. This ping awakens you if you are sleeping.

An audible alarm produces the sound of a hand bell for 10 seconds within 60 feet.

Feather Fall

Feather Fall
      1 transmutation

Casting Time: 1 reaction
      Components: V M (A small feather or a piece of down)
      Classes: Bard, Sorcerer, Wizard
      Reaction - When you or a creature within 60 feet of you falls Choose up to five falling creatures within range. A falling creature's rate of descent slows to 60 feet per round until the spell ends. If the creature lands before the spell ends, it takes no falling damage and can land on its feet, and the spell ends for that creature.

Fog Cloud

Fog Cloud
      1 conjuration

Range: 120 ft
      Duration: Concentration, Up to 1 hour
      Classes: Druid, Ranger, Sorcerer, Wizard
      You create a 20-foot-radius sphere of fog centered on a point within range. The sphere spreads around corners, and its area is heavily obscured. It lasts for the duration or until a wind of moderate or greater speed (at least 10 miles per hour) disperses it.

At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the radius of the fog increases by 20 feet for each slot level above 1st.

Magic Missile

Magic Missile
      1 evocation

Range: 120 ft
      Duration: Instantaneous
      Classes: Sorcerer, Wizard
      You create three glowing darts of magical force. Each dart hits a creature of your choice that you can see within range. A dart deals 1d4+1 force damage to its target. The darts all strike simultaneously and you can direct them to hit one creature or several.

At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the spell creates one more dart for each slot above 1st.

Sleep

Sleep
      1 enchantment

Range: 90 ft
      Components: V S M (A pinch of fine sand, rose petals, or a cricket)
      Classes: Bard, Sorcerer, Wizard
      This spell sends creatures into a magical slumber. Roll 5d8, the total is how many hit points of creatures this spell can affect. Creatures within 20 feet of a point you choose within range are affected in ascending order of their current hit points (ignoring unconscious creatures).

Starting with the creature that has the lowest current hit points, each creature affected by this spell falls unconscious until the spell ends, the sleeper takes damage, or someone uses an action to shake or slap the sleeper awake. Subtract each creature's hit points from the total before moving on to the creature with the next lowest hit points. A creature's hit points must be equal to or less than the remaining total for that creature to be affected.

Undead and creatures immune to being charmed aren't affected by this spell.

At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, roll an additional 2d8 for each slot level above 1st.

Unseen Servant

Unseen Servant
      1 conjuration (ritual)

Components: V S M (A piece of string and a bit of wood)
      Duration: 1 hour
      Classes: Bard, Warlock, Wizard
      This spell creates an invisible, mindless, shapeless force that performs simple tasks at your command until the spell ends. The servant springs into existence in an unoccupied space on the ground within range. It has AC 10, 1 hit point, and a Strength of 2, and it can't attack. If it drops to 0 hit points, the spell ends.

Once on each of your turns as a bonus action, you can mentally command the servant to move up to 15 feet and interact with an object. The servant can perform simple tasks that a human servant could do, such as fetching things, cleaning, mending, folding clothes, lighting fires, serving food, and pouring wine. Once you give the command, the servant performs the task to the best of its ability until it completes the task, then waits for your next command.

If you command the servant to perform a task that would move it more than 60 feet away from you, the spell ends.

FEATURES
      Spellcasting
      (Too long, see PHB)

Arcane Recovery
      You have learned to regain some of your magical energy by studying your Spellbook. Once per day when you finish a Short Rest, you can choose expended Spell Slots to recover. The Spell Slots can have a combined level that is equal to or less than half your wizard level (rounded up), and none of the slots can be 6th level or higher.

For example, if you’re a 4th-level wizard, you can recover up to two levels worth of Spell Slots. You can recover either a 2nd-level spell slot or two 1st-level Spell Slots.

Of the Land
      You lack the formal education of the higher classes, but for how little you may know there is a great deal that you understand. You have a practical, working knowledge of astrology and meteorology, and can easily track the time and date as well as predict the weather within a few hours, or days if you're lucky. You understand the "secrets of life"; the needs of life (water, light, air, salt, etc.), the patterns of physical inheritance, and the connections between different plants and animals.

At the DM's discretion, this can be represented by allowing a farmer to cast commune with nature once per long rest, except that the range is limited to environments common to you within 10 feet and you can only choose one of the first two choices.

INVENTORY
      0 PP, 0 GP, 0 SP, 0 CP

Dagger [1]
      Wand/rolling pin (Arcane focus) [1]
      Spellbook [5]
      Common clothes [3]
      Wide-brimmed hat [0.5]

Backpack [5]
      Bedroll [7]
      Book of Lore
      Bottle of Ink
      Ink Pen
      10 Sheets Parchment
      Bag of Sand
      Small Knife
      Bowl [1]
      Iron pot [10]
      Cutlery [1]

5 gp of trade goods [Not Carried]
      Pitchfork [Not Carried]

TOTAL WEIGHT: 35.5

BACKGROUND
      Alignment: True Neutral
      Size: Medium

Height: 5'4"
      Weight: 165 lb

Hair color: White/grey
      Eye color: Brown

Description: Rancher. I raised animals for slaughter for food, but also for leather, furs, and other useful materials.
      Personality Trait: I'm always early to bed and early to rise.
      Ideal: A Simple Way of Life. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! (Neutral)
      Bond: I'll never forget the family farm I grew up on.
      Flaw: I am lonely, I feel like my best days are behind me, and I don't know what to do with the rest of my life.

Milly grew up on a farm and had a plain ol' boring life. Married a farmer, moved to her husband's farm in the valley. Had a bunch of kids. Kids grew up, husband died. One by one, her kids left home searching for better prospects. Milly couldn't bring herself to. Down several hands, she turned to magic to help maintain her ranching business -- traded for a few common spells at the local market. Now that her last has moved away, she isn't sure what she'll do.
      [signature by RealmWings]

The post was edited 6 times, last by boxes ().

• @Napstablook

Looks amazing yo. I guess I didn't process that you weren't using the revised ranger, and I probably should've asked. You're totally free to add the revisions if you'd like (that's +2 attack and damage against favoured enemy, "ignore difficult terrain" modifier to your speed, advantage on initiative, and advantage on attack against enemies that haven't acted in combat).

Also, being super pedantic here but it fits with your attention to detail, you need a component pouch to cast material component spells without a focus. Might want to include that.

@boxes

Milly is good to go!

(Did the math and the ability array is in the top 2.7th percentile. Yall just be glad you don't have to deal with her item pick-ups in Mario Kart :/)

@Keith

No huge rush! I'd like to keep the current momentum going, but the point of this all is to see how adaptable we can be to people's schedules. Hit me up if there's anything I can do to expedite the process for you.
      ~~~
      Although postsocratics like St. Augustine and Judith Butler explored a diverse set of ethical and metaphysical ideas, their unifying feature as a movement was a principled refusal to speculate upon which of the four elements the world was made out of.
      ~~~

boxes is the best human and I am going to get her a kitten or 2 kittens
    • made the changes, also fixed a couple of other things:
      - Since the revised Favored Enemy allows you to pick all humanoids instead of just two kinds, I switched to that instead. Picked Infernal as my language, since you said tiefling bandits are common.
      - I replaced the Book in my inventory for the Component pouch, as it costs the same. I was going to have Njáll keep a log of the insurgency's activity, but books are prohibitively expensive and I never ended up writing the flavor text for it anyway.
      - I realized I forgot to include a section for Njáll's proficiencies. Fixed that.
      PM me about the LGBTA+ discord server | #WontBeErased

gender of the moment: | pronouns: it/its
    • Local Geography Part 1: The Role of the Mountains

The An-Kaga-Si range is, without a doubt, the most important geographical feature on the continent. Composed of well over a thousand discernible peaks, the full range runs 4500 km from its northwestern origin to its southeastern terminus, at all times remaining about a 5 day's journey inland from the continent's west coast. The highest points of elevation tend to fall along the easternmost edge of the range, which defines the continental divide for this part of the world.

About a fifth of the way down from its northernmost point the range suddenly bulges outward to west, and - for a length of about 700 km - is at its widest. This bulge is a massive deterrent to direct east-west traffic in this area, and almost all major transportation routes in the history of the continent have chosen to bend around to the north or south and make an easier crossing where the mountains are thinner.

Cutting down through the center of the bulge is the Nayten river valley. From its mouth in a system of verdant wetlands the Nayten flows due south through the full length of the bulge, eventually opening up into the majestic lake Nayta. (Nayta is, in fact, artificial: the path of the Nayten leads to an absolutely ancient damn - an incredible work of fine stone and magic - at the southern edge of the bulge).

The existence of the Nayten valley is the only thing that makes the bulge even hypothetically transversable. Rather than a single pass spanning the full range, travellers can split the journey in two - tracing one pass across the eastern ridges of the bulge, then moving north or south along the river valley, and ultimately find a second pass across the western ridges.

There are two such passes on the east side, and we are interested in the southern-most.

A significant secondary tributary of Nayta is the Kle river, which flows down from the peaks on the south east side of the Nayten valley in force. Tracing the Kle back into the mountains reveals that its path bends north and it defines a significant secondary valley, for the most part running parallel to the Nayten. 150 km from the point at which the Kle meets the Nayten it is fed by an unassuming creek spilling down from the easternmost edge of the An-Kaga-Sis.

Following that creek back reveals that it is fed by a series of wide, cold mountain tarns: a system of seven chained lakes which feed into each other through a beautiful network of waterfalls. The highest of these lakes, the Eerie, actually buts immediately up against the continental divide.

The lake system is not naturally traversable by livestock or vehicles. Although the erosive power of the lakes has resulted in a much gentler overall slope in these areas, the lakes themselves are wide enough to be a problem. At multiple points the waters fully cross the "valleys" they've defined, brushing up against sharp cliffs on either side.

The work of ancient empires, however, has made a true pass of the lake system by erecting a series of stalwart bridges across each body of water as necessary; these utilitarian structures enduring despite millennia of impossibly harsh mountain winters (thanks, in large part, to the eternal attention of the learned local masons).

With the bridges in place, the Eerie system is a true pass. Travelers from the east follow the Respected Elder River valley across the plains and up into the An-Kaga-Sis. They cross the bridges, follow the waters down a gentle slope into the Kle valley, and trace the route of the Kle out to meet lake Nayta. From there, they're free to choose one of a number of passes that will take them over the bulge's western side and into the lakelands beyond.

It is a harsh route, to be certain. Unnecessarily risky, some say, in comparison to simply taking the extra few days journey south to cross the mountains below the bulge: along scenic forested routes where elven hospitality is on offer. But it's home.
      ~~~
      Although postsocratics like St. Augustine and Judith Butler explored a diverse set of ethical and metaphysical ideas, their unifying feature as a movement was a principled refusal to speculate upon which of the four elements the world was made out of.
      ~~~

The post was edited 5 times, last by Foo ().

• @Keith How we looking yo?

Local History Part 1: Dwarves and Mining

Four hundred years ago there was no settlement of note at the point where Eerie pass opened into the valley of the river Kle. Whatever populations might have made their home here in ages past were gone with little trace (though to be sure a trained archaeologist would've identified tell-tale signs of a half-dozen different settlements, long-came and- long-gone; such is the nature of the world). The nearest population centers in two directions were groups of dwarves.

A day's hike north, towards the mouth of the Kle, was (and is) the mountain dwarf thanedom of Januar-Dum. Though the Januar numbered in the several thousand they had a minimal presence on the surface: little more than a stout keep with a naturally protected "courtyard" where the dwarves could maintain a small heard of work animals and meet the occasional trader from the outside world. The rest of their civilization in its entirety dwelt within the mountain halls. Digging, always.

Meanwhile to the east, on the other side of the pass, a much more open society of hill dwarves made their livelihood maintaining the Eerie bridge system, charging small tolls, and cutting chalk deposits out of the cliff sides of the pass. Neither trade was particularly lucrative for these folk, but it was what they had.

Enter one Eist Sprucepick, savior of the dwarves of the Eerie. Eist was a prodigious geologist and arguably an even better geographer. Moreover, he was industrious, reckless, and wildly ambitious. In his 140th year Eist identified a critical seam of metallurgical coal at the extreme western end of the pass, less than a kilometre away from the break into the Kle valley, and launched an ingenious open pit mining project.

("Ingenious" here being the hill dwarf opinion; Januar scouts would report the mine to be hideous, inelegant, and arguably deranged)

The nature of Eist's enterprise changed with the decades. At first the bulk coal the dwarves mined was simply exported to the west and south in whatever qualities could be sold. After some time, the group erected an impressive battery of coke ovens along the banks of the Kle and began selling the processed coke instead. Finally, Eist and his business partners were able to secure a steady supply of reclaimed iron* and the dwarves became steel smelters; the best for 1000 km in any direction.

With each development, the lure of industry of "Eist's Wood" grew. Mountain life - snowy and rugged as it is - was certainly not for everyone, but any talented and hardy soul who relocated to the area quickly found themselves with rewarding labour. Before long the three or four hundred dwarves of Eist's band - who by now had completely given up on tolling the Eerie bridges and relocated to the mining site - were joined by as many others from abroad, with humans, tieflings, dragonborn, halflings and more besides all represented in the mix.

Sprucepick passed about 200 years ago, although not before launching two further mining operations hidden deeper within the mountains to the south and southwest. The fortunes of his enterprises have waxed and waned in the centuries since but, for now, the settlement at Eistwood endures.

---

*The ruins of many ancient cities are littered with scraps of metal and metal-containing compounds. In an age where most the world's natural resources have been tapped, it's financially viable to "raid" these ruins, collect the scrap, and alchemically process the takings. Raw iron is far more likely to be derived from such processes then from mining operations. Competition between ruin raiders is unregulated and fierce, often turning violent, which renders ancient city ruins the sorts of place polite folks prefer to avoid.
      ~~~
      ~~~

• 'Drake'
      Half-Elf Rogue

CORE
      core

STATS

LvExpHpHdProfInitSpdAcSpell Save
      10/30081d8+2+2301312

ABILITIES

AbilityTotalModProfSave
      Str11+0+0
      Dex14+2+4
      Con10+0+0
      Wis11+0+0
      Int14+2+2
      Cha17+3+5

SKILLS

SkillStatModifierProficiencyExpertise
      AcrobaticsDex+2
      Animal HandlingWis+0
      ArcanaInt+2
      AthleticsStr+2
      DeceptionCha+7
      HistoryInt+2
      InsightWis+0
      IntimidationCha+3
      InvestigationInt+4
      MedicineWis+0
      NatureInt+2
      PerceptionWis+2
      PerformanceCha+5
      PersuasionCha+7
      ReligionInt+2
      Sleight of HandDex+4
      StealthDex+2
      SurvivalWis+0

COMBAT

WeaponAttackDamageTypeRange
      Rapier1d20+41d8+2Piercing
      Dagger1d20+41d4+2Piercing
      Shortbow1d20+21d6+2Piercing80/320
      Sneak Attack1d6

Equipment

Equipped
      Leather Armour11lbs
      Rapier62lbs
      Shortbow12lbs
      Quiver11lbs
      Arrows201lbs0.05lbs
      Dagger11lbs
      Subtotal17lbs

Backpack
      Backpack15lbs
      Rations612lbs2lbs
      Bedroll17lbs
      Waterskin15lbs
      Dagger11lbs
      Thieves' Tools11lbs
      Subtotal31lbs
      Total48lbs
      Gp10

Armor: Light Armor
      Weapons: Simple Weapons, Hand Crossbows, Longswords, Rapiers, Shortswords
      Tools: Thieves' Tools, Navigator's Tools, Vehicles(aquatic)

FEATURES
      features

RACIAL

Excellent Ambassadors
      Many half-elves learn at an early age to get along with everyone, defusing hostility and finding common ground. As a race, they have elven grace without elven aloofness and human energy without human boorishness. They often make excellent ambassadors and go-betweens (except between elves and humans, since each side suspects the half-elf of favouring the other).

Darkvision
      Thanks to your elf blood, you have superior vision in dark and dim conditions. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can’t discern colour in darkness, only shades of grey.

Fey Ancestry
      You have advantage on saving throws against being charmed, and magic can’t put you to sleep.

CLASS

Expertise
      At 1st level, choose two of your skill proficiencies, orone of your skill proficiencies and your proficiency with thieves’ tools. Your proficiency bonus is doubled for anyability check you make that uses either of the chosen proficiencies. At 6th level, you can choose two more of your proficiencies (in skills or with thieves’ tools) to gain this benefit.
      • Deception
      • Persuasion

Sneak Attack
      Beginning at 1st level, you know how to strike subtly and exploit a foe’s distraction. Once per turn, you can deal an extra 1d6 damage to one creature you hit with an attack if you have advantage on the attack roll. The attack must use a finesse or a ranged weapon. You don’t need advantage on the attack roll if another enemy of the target is within 5 feet of it, that enemy isn’t incapacitated, and you don’t have disadvantage on the attack roll.

Thieves' Cant
      During your rogue training you learned thieves’ cant, a secret mix of dialect, jargon, and code that allows you to hide messages in seemingly normal conversation. Only another creature that knows thieves’ cant understands such messages. It takes four times longer to convey such a message than it does to speak the same idea plainly. In addition, you understand a set of secret signs and symbols used to convey short, simple messages, such as whether an area is dangerous or the territory of a thieves’ guild, whether loot is nearby, or whether the people in an area are easy marks or will provide a safehouse for thieves on the run.

BACKGROUND

A Life at Sea
      Near 15 years living on the water has given you an expansive knowledge of the world's geography and how to navigate it. This includes understanding how to command a naval vessel as well as a good idea of the prominent groups in the world. This mostly pertains to pirate crews, but definitely stretches to criminal organisations and trade groups found further inland.

The Emerald Murk
      No matter where you go, people are afraid of you due to the emblazoned jacket you still wear. The reputation of The Emerald Murk is far spread enough that only those living far inland are safe from stories. This can mean minor criminal offences will not be reported such as refusing to pay for food at a tavern.

BACKGROUND
      background

BACKGROUND
      Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
      Size: Medium

Height: 5'9"
      Weight: 164 lb

Hair color: Plum
      Eye color: Green

Personality Trait: I see any new situation as a challenge to prove my silver tongue.
      Ideal: Everyone should be free to take what they want. Wealth should flow and no one should need.
      Bond: The only bond I knew was to my crew, which has since been severed.
      Flaw: I am impulsive beyond reason, and not so accustomed to dealing with consequence.

Grand Huwan is a city to the distant, distant east. The name is somewhat of a misnomer, as it is grand only in comparison to modern cities. All the same, it's humble population of 70,000 consider themselves amongst the most fortunate in the world. It is a comparatively large trade hub, it has some sense of law and houses the largest organised library left.

It was in this city that Jaheed was born, and it was here that he learnt to thrive. A wealth of opportunities landed him as a mildly successful street performer. A silver tongue granted him the connections he wanted in life. Befriending scholars, grocers and anyone with coin worked until the age of 14 when he joined up with his first pirate crew, the Silvers. Even took on his own piratey name, Drake. His position with them didn't last long as he soon realised they couldn't meet his expectations. Bouncing between crews, making allies and rarely enemies; 10 years later he found himself aboard one of the most prestigious vessels to enter the ocean, The Emerald Murk. That is to say, that wasn't it's original name. The ship was found nearly 300 years ago hidden away underneath a citadel that had stood longer than memory. It may be the last, best artifact still in use today.

The ship has a golden trim on every surface, so much so it could also be more gold than wood. What wood is present is so ornate it looks more like artwork than industry. It could comfortably house a hundred soldiers, because it was indeed built for soldiers. This thing could be rammed by a vessel twice it's size and not so much as shudder, while it's bottom deck is fitted with a prison. And at the helm sat the most beautiful emerald, shining so bright it almost appeared to light the room.
      A perfect place to carry slaves no? So thought the half-orcs in the raiding party, seeing an opportunity for riches. So came about the terror of The Emerald Murk, the most successful slaving party in centuries. A crew of mostly half-orcs, a few pureblooded and the odd straggler has consistently taken whoever it can find from one place to another.

Unfortunately even this didn't last long for Drake. Stealing riches is one thing but stealing lives from people pleading peace simply wasn't comfortable for him. He spoke to the other crewmembers and attempted a coup because of course, the ship itself was a marvel and the time had come for him to become a captain. Or well, he thought it had. The coup turned out to be a ruse by other crew members for entertainment. His quick wit saved him once more, turning the crew on each other and stealing some pennies in the process.

This however has left him absolutely lost. If even the greatest pirate ship is not enough for him, then what is out there for him? Hopefully he will find the answer as he wanders aimlessly, or at the bottom of the bottle. It's only been a few weeks after all, some breakups take time to heal.

why would trump support the vikings

The post was edited 16 times, last by Keith ().

• Ya know, I thought having three Europeans and three Americans might balance the time zone issue but it really doesn't work that way when all the Euros are up till 4 AM every day :P

The current plan is to open the in-character thread basically exactly 24 hours from now, doing a final check in with NAME TBD and Drake right before. I'm gonna churn out a couple more posts on local flavour in the next few hours here, and then start talking about our starting "conditions".

Local Geology Part 2: Climate

Eistwood experiences long, cold, snowy winters. Left out over night, water will freeze 200 days out of the year. Thriving in this valley, as you might imagine, demands an intimate knowledge of local weather patterns.

(Our game is picking up in what would be late August, if August were a thing, about 50 days before the first real snowfall is expected. I will be generating weather on a random basis each day, following the general climate description below and my knowledge of the weather patterns of the area I'm aping. Note that we have multiple party members who have some method to predict the weather in one way or another and a party member who is significantly effected by it. Hopefully this is all helpful info).

The final moon before the autumnal equinox is notably arid. The long grasses of mountain meadows wilt and brown in a surprisingly incessant heat, insufficiently served by the flash thunderstorms which can roll up from the valley' southern end in the late afternoons. It's fundamentally lazy weather, but unfortunately the people of Eistwood don't have the luxury of laziness when the sky is clear and the ground is dry. The prevailing local wisdom is that industrious mornings are the key to success, as the weather will drain you by high noon.

As the days grow shorter the temperature drops quickly. Autumn is marked by the onset of a vicious morning frost which decisively ends the growing season. The first snowfalls aren't far behind; teasing affairs at first, which coat the ground for maybe an hour or two before the sun breaks through the cloud cover and burns it all away.

The moon before the winter solstice is actually the year's snowiest, with sudden blizzards dumping half a meter of powder onto the town. This generally results in a very dense base snowpack, about a boot's height, which will endure until the late spring. The valley people remain lively through this period, spurred on by a series of year-end rituals and festivals, enjoying their last days of freedom.

Conditions deteriorate rapidly after the solstice. In particular, a stretch of valley beginning 30 km south of Eistwood and running another 30 km from there is hit by an annual Orographic anomaly which can build a snowpack as high as 2m on the valley floor. In combination with the threat of daily avalanche events on the slopes, this snowfall is enough to shut out access to Eistwood from the south for as long as two moons.

Meanwhile, the Eerie pass - though comparatively dry - is wracked with freezing gale-force winds for days on end. The blow of these winds over the mountain lakes creates a terrible sleet which in turn leaves a layer of black ice over the pass's roads. Access to the valley from the east is cut off and - for weeks at a time - the upper Kle is totally isolated from the rest of the material world.

Winter is cold, slow, and taxing. Luckily - in relatively good times like these - it's not hungry on top of everything else.

Eventually, of course, the days grow longer and season's grip on the valley loosens. Spring brings its own set of problems as melting snow from the surrounding slopes floods into the valley, absolutely saturating the earth and delaying the start of the planting season while providing ideal breeding grounds for insects and molds. Damp, smelly, and still surprisingly cold spring is decidedly unpleasant in a way that even the dead of winter is not. It is, at least, blessedly short.

The moons around midsummer are warm and moderately rainy; a beatific 60 day period which - honestly - makes living through all the rest of the year worthwhile. In the end, though, the valley grows drier and drier as summer marches on, and before long we're back to where we started.
      ~~~
      ~~~

• Local History Part 2: The Nayten and Fort Filigree

The Nayten valley is an incredible transportation corridor but a difficult place to live. Even in eons past, when the valley was incorporated into a country or kingdom and governed carefully, it felt like a land that defied purpose. The wooded, hilly conditions are far less suited to farming than the lakelands to the immediate west of the bulge and far less suited to ranching than the prairies to the immediate east. Hobby farmers could make a family living, certainly, but large scale agriculture in the valley just didn't make sense.

There was lumber, in abundance, but no good way to move bulk wood out of the mountains. Locals, again, could take advantage - and at times the Nayten has been a land of impressive cedar lodges and pinewood mansions for vacationing bourgeois - but it wasn't an industry you could build a community around.

All of these issues persist in the modern age, but today the Nayten offers homesteaders something that the world outside the bulge cannot: security.

Fort Filigree was founded 120 years ago on the west bank of the Nayten immediately north of the point of where river opens into lake. The mercenary mastermind behind the fort - one Am Filigree - was a halfling warrior of legendary skill who'd come up from the south with a small army and an impossible confidence. The Fort's central motte went up quickly, and more quickly still became a symbol of terror for the bandits, pirates and raiders who attempted to harry traffic in the river valley.

Filigree never hid the fact that she intended to make a profit on her project, but she was a practiced and eloquent speaker who delivered on her promises and by-and-large the locals quickly accepted the offer she was implicitly making. The Nayten valley would be cleared of major threats, and a regular patrol set up the river and down the lake deterring future trouble. The entire southern half of valley would become livable and workable, in a more certain way than the outside world could ever be and the people would be free to do as they pleased... as long as they paid regular protection to the mercenaries.

Am herself has passed on, and the modern fort is run by a bureaucratic cabal, but the status quo she established has largely endured and as a result five reasonably sized young settlements exist along the lower 350 km stretch of Nayten river, serving as hubs for local farmer and ranchers, hunters, fishers and trappers, lumberjacks and gold-panners. The largest of these by far is the town which has grown up around the fort itself: Am's Brook, a settlement of nearly 5000 souls.

It is a four or five day hike from Eistwood to Am's Brook. The two settlements are actually relatively close, as the crow flies, but separated by mountain rigdes. The road from our location to them must follow the Kle south until it bends to cut west through the mountains and meet the Nayta, then trace the lake's eastern shore north again before eventually crossing the river to reach the Fort and its associated town.
      ~~~
      ~~~

• Local Geography Part 3: The Town

Eistwood is neat triangle, hemmed in to the west by the banks of the Kle, to the north by the Eerie creek, and to the south east by the main trade highway:

Display Spoiler

The map says west when it means east. A better version asap lol :/

The south end of the town, along the highway, is somewhat commercialized with two inns, three taverns, a farrier, and the offices of the local trading company which include an in-house grocer, wholesaler, baker, butcher, chandler, and tanner. The public office of the mining operation is "downtown" as well, as is the joint-office of the local guild heads. At the intersection where the north-road meets the main highway is a large open marketspace for general use by the local farmers and ranchers, as well as any merchants coming along the highway who may want to set up shop for a day.

Immediately "behind" the main street are the public interest building including a Temple of Moradin, a one room school, and all purpose community meeting house, and a small library.

Further back still, closer to the waters on both the north and west sides, are the "urban" residences of all the local professionals. In the extreme corner of the town, where the creek flow into the river, is a small park maintained by volunteers. Where the shops and public buildings are stone hewn these residences - especially where they belong to non-dwarves - are hardwood fashioned with sloping rooves.

There is a well kept tenement, maintained again by the local trading company, which provides long term housing for those looking to stay in the valley a season but not yet owning homes.

The road to the south leads, before long, to the coke ovens and their associated works. Past this is the open valley were ranchers raise cattle and sheep and grow hardy berries and feed grains as they can. The road north crosses both the Eerie creek and the Kle by sturdy wooden bridges before again, finding the open valley as it winds north.

East is the Eerie pass, and the Sprucepick mining operations proper. The pass narrows incredibly quickly, and only a 1 km out of town there is no more than 100 m of flat ground to either side of the creek.
      ~~~
      ~~~

The post was edited 1 time, last by Foo ().

• Last one lol.

Local History Part 3: The People

(The content of this post is public information, or at least public perception. Your characters may know more or more accurate details about these people based on your backgrounds or on history checks you make as appropriate)

Letcher Limetoe (Dwarf, M, 280 yo) is the current chief operating officer of the Eist Sprucepick's mining operations. He is a private, somewhat sullen individual with few interests outside of his work. He generally spends his summers entirely on the mine site, sleeping in his office, and his winters locked away in manor just north of town.

Kareen Redhammer (Dwarf, F, 330 yo) is the head of the smelter's guild and - in all but name - the head of all organized labour in the region. Ferocious and deeply committed to cause of labour, Kareen is in a never ending battle with mine management and is keen to make it everyone's business.

Julis Granitespine (Dwarf, F, 120 yo) a promising young cleric of Moradin drawn by her God to the temple at Eistwood. The local dwarven population has been spiritual only as a formality for centuries, and Julis (perhaps naively) seeks to change that. Local curiosity is piqued primarily by the presence of an ostensibly powerful dwarf not yet under the sway of Redhammer or in the pocket of Limetoe.

---

Mickey Singh (Human, M, 48 yo) is owner of the local trade company; the richest man in Eistwood. Mickey's vice is wanderlust; although he is a competent and consummate businessman who keeps good shop through the winter months he would be absolutely loath to spend the summers in town. This year he set out east on some inscrutable treasure hunt and hasn't been seen in nearly 60 days.

Sashan and Gully (Half-orc and gnome, M and M, 24 and 112) are Mickey's bodyguards and travel companions. They are warlocks, both bound in contract to the same ancient, sapient blade. Mickey insists that this is terribly romantic.

Snapping Lutestring (Kenku, ?, ?) is Mickey's Seneschal, keeping the enterprise afloat while the boss is away.

*Other employees of the trading company will be named and included here as it comes up.*

---

Alice Zuffa (Half-elf, F, 42) is Am's Brook merchant who specializes in moving dwarven exports out of the bulge. She maintains a summer house in Eistwood. Incredibly popular with most in Eistwood, due to her tendency to allow travellers of all stripes to move through the valley with her contingents of hired Fort Filigree mercenaries at no charge. Incredibly unpopular with many outside of town, who accuse her of maintaining a monopoly on the Iron trade. A single mother.

John Zuffa (Elf-touched human, M, 14) is Alice's son, well known to all the proprietors and professional on the Eistwood main street. A would-be astronomer.

Xarjunforthuntrixths (Dragonborn, M, 50) is a one-armed captain with the Fort Filigree contingent. Every year Alice hires a company to oversee goods moving down the Kle valley and every year this company ends up under Xar's command. Some people read into that. Blessed with an excellent singing voice and a jovial manner, Xar is always welcome in the tavern.
      ~~~
      ~~~

The post was edited 1 time, last by Foo ().

• Who would Ari do business with the most when they visit? They would probably mostly sell hides and other leatherwork.

Also it might be easier if all our characters are linked in the first post to find.

:heart: Rinn “Arwyn” Nailo drawn by Liah :heart:
      Rakshael: if I know one thing about Ruki, it's that she'll prove you wrong just for the sake of saying she did it
      Characters | The Time Lost | The Rumors We Believe | Ruki's Reviews

The post was edited 1 time, last by Ruki ().