Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    • E3
    E3: Prediction, surprises, and most wanted
    • So, E3 is a little over two weeks away. Various conferences are happening, including these noteworthy ones:
      • June 9th: EA
      • June 10th: Microsoft, Bethesda, and Devolver
      • June 11th: Square Enix, Ubisoft, Sony, "PC Gaming Show"
      • June 12th: Nintendo

I have three questions for the thread!

1. What announcement do you expect and are excited for?
      2. What announcement would surprise you, but also delight you?
      3. What announcement would you most like to see, that you think could actually happen?

Oh, and one more thing: I think we can all assume that a Zelda announcement would be popular around here. Pick something else! Or not, I guess, up to you.

1. What do I predict? Well, I'm going to toss the dice and predict... Elder Scrolls 6. (I think there's a decent chance for an announcement next year instead though, so a bit risky!)

2. I would be both surprised and absolutely ecstatic for a new Final Fantasy Tactics, ideally produced by Matsuno and on the Switch, of course! A new Pokemon Snap would be maybe even more surprising and delightful.

3. This is the hardest for me. So open-ended, right? Hard to know what I'm excited for before someone gets me excited. Hmm, too soon for Persona 6. I'd say a reimagining of Pokemon like Nintendo did with Zelda, where they start from first principles and discard the last 20 years of cruft, but that'll never happen. I guess I'll cop-out and say a new IP by Nintendo with an emphasis on content-driven single-player with either a plot or a world -ideally both! Give me a new IP to join the ranks of Zelda, Metroid, Earthbound, and Mario!
      Pronouns: He/Him

The post was edited 2 times, last by Max N. ().

• 1. I'm really thinking we're going to get a new Spinter Cell game. And it's pretty much at the top of my want list. Haha. It's been a few years. We're ready. @JP the Neurotic

2. Pokemon Yellow remake for Switch. We have to get a Pokemon game on that console soon, and Nintendo is currently nailing it with the Switch, so lets go. Haha. Or, it could be Sonic Adventure 1/2 on Switch. Either way, I think we're getting a bunch of ports and remakes this year.

3. I'm modifying the question to "Most want to see but will never happen" because I need a spot to complain. Haha. But a Radiata Stories remake. Or at the very least a PS2 classic or whatever on PS4. Sony, give me something. I want to feel something again.
    • I expect to see a lot of Super Smash Bros 5 (duh) even though I am not super excited for it. But it will be a new game (not a "deluxe-port") with news in regards to classic characters such as Link (BotW-Link). I also fully expect to see "Pokemon Switch" or should I say "Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee" (very possible though that we will get a trailer of it before E3). I also expect to see Fire Emblem, the Yoshi game, the Star Fox racing game, and some new stuff. A very good chance that we will see what the new Xenoblade Chronicles 2-DLC will be all about, and I expect it to be a lot more ambitious than BotW's DLC ever was. I don't think we will see anything from Metroid Prime 4 since it isn't slated for 2018, and from my memory they will ONLY show stuff that will come out this year.

I would really like to see some remasters/ports (lol I know). My number one wish in terms of possible remasters/ports is Nier Automata (don't think that will happen though) and Xenoblade Chronicles HD. Other than that there are plenty of other exciting titles they could port or remaster, so who knows?

In terms of Zelda, I think it is very possible to see another "2Dish" title for the Switch (in worst case scenario for the 3DS) which resemble ALBW-gameplay. Or perhaps a new remaster-title like Skyward Sword HD or something. We will not hear anything about the new 3D-title they have started working on since it is too damn early for that. At best we will see Aonuma talk about it with only words in some future Direct later this year... or something. I don't expect to see anything from it until like 2020 at the earliest which is totally fine).

This E3 will be pretty interesting, but at the same time a bit boring since they chose to limit themselves to 2018. Which mean we will probably not see anything from Metroid Prime 4, Monolith Soft's new game or other new goodies. But at the same time it is going to be pretty interesting, especially Pokemon Switch and the Xenoblade Chronicles 2 DLC. Something that really would surprise me and make me interested would be if they announced "Paper Mario 3" which basically is a spiritual successor to The Thousand Year Door. Nintendo has to be painfully aware what people think of Sticker Star and Color Splash by now. They decided to finally make Metroid Prime 4, they went back to the Super Mario 64-roots with Odyssey... so who knows? Maybe? I doubt it though.

And yes this was pretty much a "Nintendo prediction". But in regards to other games... I think we will get to see Kingdom Hearts 3, nothing about Final Fantasy VII Remake, we will see Red Dead Redemption 2, and a new trailer of The Last of Us Part 2. And we will also see CD Project Red's new game and it will probably be great.

And @lord-of-shadow: The Elder Scrolls 6 is waaaaay off. The developers seems to hate to get questions about TES 6 since they have been very clear about that it is something way off in the future. The same is the case about Final Fantasy 16 (even though it is very possible that Square will show it WAY too early as usual). Bethesda has if my memory doesn't fail me at least two other big projects to get done before they start with TES 6.

The post was edited 5 times, last by MVS ().

• 1. What announcement do you expect and are excited for?

Hmm, a tricky one. I haven't really kept up with rumors and such, and a lot of my favourite development studios are Japanese, which means that E3 might see them announce English translations but big product reveals are gonna be rare.

I'm betting that the Yakuza 3-5 remakes will have western releases confirmed. The sudden surge in popularity of the franchise outside of Japan seems to have resulted in Sega shifting from barely acknowledging it exists to putting quite a bit of weight behind it.

Something about Metroid Prime 4. Metroid has always been bigger outside of Japan than in, and Prime 4 is being made by a western studio, IIRC, so it'd make sense to reveal more about it at E3.

Likewise, probably something about the rumored Pokemon Switch title. Pokemon is enough of a global franchise that making announcements about it at E3 makes a lot of sense.

NieR remake, possibly with a Drakengard 1 and 3 remake. Not holding my breath on this one, but N:A was such a sleeper hit that I'd be amazed if something wasn't being done with the license, and remaking the original to better fit the polished mechanics of Automata would make a lot of sense. Drakengard is even less likely, but D1 and 3 are themselves backstory to NieR, albeit distantly, and while D3 is recent enough that a remake might be unlikely, lots of late-era PS3 games are seeing remasters these days, so who knows?

Something new about FROM software's new project. Beyond that one image and a name we don't have anything to go on, but E3 would make sense as a place to announce what it actually is.

That's...about it. There will certainly be at least a few announcements that I'm excited for that I didn't predict but, obviously, I can't predict them. :P

2. What announcement would surprise you, but also delight you?

Pokemon Warriors for the Switch. It's not impossible, Pokemon is hardly adverse to spinoffs, and everything is getting a Warriors game these days, with two Nintendo-published properties having successful ones. But I'm also not holding my breath.

On that note, Sailor Moon Warriors would be great, and would line up with some other anniversary stuff the series is doing these days. Even less likely than Pokemon, but it'd be fun.

Pokemon Snap Switch I mean, duh.

Etrian Odyssey Switch: This one is real unlikely, but it'd be excellent. I can see a few ways to keep the map-drawing mechanic while on the Switch (First: Split the screen vertically, one side being the dungeon the other half the map. Then: Physical release comes with a stylus, or make input modal so you tap a button to switch to map editing mode using button inputs. Or make the map zoom in in edit mode so you can use your fingers to drawn on it). Some confirmation that the series isn't going to die with the DS line would be grand.

Gravity Rush 3; The second game largely wrapped up the plot (without actually explaining anything, darn it), and the series has always been kinda niche, but I'd love for another title using the mechanics and aesthetics, if not the same characters (I think Kat's story has pretty much ended at this point). Maybe this one could explain 1/10th of WTF is going on. :P

3. What announcement would you most like to see, that you think could actually happen?

Probably that NieR remake. I never played Gestalt, though I know the plot, but I enjoyed Automata so much that I'd love a chance to give it a look-in with the rough edges filed off.

May those who accept their fate be granted happiness;

Those who defy it, glory!

The post was edited 1 time, last by John ().

• Ty. wrote:

1. I'm really thinking we're going to get a new Spinter Cell game. And it's pretty much at the top of my want list. Haha. It's been a few years. We're ready. @JP the Neurotic
      I've never actually played a Splinter Cell game. I should get around to it one of these days.

MVS wrote:

And @lord-of-shadow: The Elder Scrolls 6 is waaaaay off. The developers seems to hate to get questions about TES 6 since they have been very clear about that it is something way off in the future. The same is the case about Final Fantasy 16 (even though it is very possible that Square will show it WAY too early as usual). Bethesda has if my memory doesn't fail me at least two other big projects to get done before they start with TES 6.
      I don't think it's that far off. I expect it to be announced by next year's E3 at the latest, and probably released fall next year.

That's not really based on much though. Just gut, my expectation that it's the big game Bethesda has been working on, and the fact that it's been awhile now.
    • @lord-of-shadow They literally have said several times it is WAY OFF. Just listen to interviews of their developers and it is crystal clear. "A very long way off" + two large projects that are bigger than anything they have done prior. So we have to wait for those two bigger projects before they start on TES 6 from what I understand.

I don't want to crush your hopes, but I think it is just a bad idea to hope for something when it is obvious it is way into the future. I would say that TES 6 will be released in 2025 at the very earliest, probably later than that. It will without a doubt be on the next gen-systems since he hints in the video that they don't even have the technology yet. And add to that that they will not rush TES 6, which is a good thing.

If I were a Bethesda fan, I would hype about their next unknown large project instead. I am a fan of Monolith Soft, and sure it would be awesome if they were working on Xenoblade Chronicles 3 right now, but it is painfully obvious that they don't at the moment, but on a new IP... therefore I have hopes for that instead. I am very tired to get disappointed.

The post was edited 2 times, last by MVS ().

• Ah finally, was about to make a similar thread myself.

Most excited about:

1. Metroid Prime 4
      2. Pokemon Switch

^ these two are crucial for me. Long time fan of both, and it's been about time for the next BIG sequel. With Prime 4, I'm hoping for fairly classic Prime 1 / Metroidvania gameplay, but with new features and graphics. And please be a Triple-A production.
      For Pokemon, I want more of a reboot. Back to Pokemon's foundations, in a big new world.
      If they screw these up, I'll be extremely disappointed.

3. N64 Classic Mini. Not expecting this to show up tbh, perhaps some time later in June. But I really want it lol :)
      4. Retro Studios' new game. F-Zero would be very welcome. In fact, I want an F-Zero regardless
      5. Fire Emblem Switch. Very curious about this, I love FE! And it's been too long since a console one.
      6. Smash 5. It's Smash, it'll be good. So no worries here, hence a bit lower on this list. But still very excited to see it.
      7. Pikmin 4

So yeah, a big year for Nintendo imo! Non-Nintendo stuff I'm excited/hoping to see:

- Red Dead Redemption 2. It'll be good no doubt.
      - Mega Man 11
      - Death Stranding GAMEPLAY PLS
      - New Fromsoftware game
      - ES6
      - Battlefield V gameplay
      - Final Fantasy VII Remake
      - Shenmue 3 (it's still weird to type that unironically)

And more! Like, I'm sure we'll get a glimpse at the new Halo, which is always cool. Even though I don't play the games.

The post was edited 1 time, last by john_marston ().

• Here's what I want to see:

Animal Crossing Switch - I'm even going to say this is fairly likely. They did some changes to the website some time ago in preparation for something. Besides, a new Animal Crossing is overdue at this point. New Leaf was released in JP in late 2012, that was six years ago. This is the largest gap we have ever had between Animal Crossing games, and I hope that means that it will be quality and not a City Folk. Nintendo has hyped the AC series to heck, they better not disappoint us.

Super Smash Bros 5 - If we get a port instead than I will be really mad, but I really don't think that Nintendo would have advertised the game the way they have if that were the case. Either way, I really want to see some shake-up here. The formula was running dry to me with SSB4. I will still have some excitement if it is just standard fare, which is what I expect, but I hope for something different.

Pokemon Switch - My hype for this game has dropped considerably since the leaks have come out. Everything is pointing toward another game with Kanto, with 3DS-like graphics in HD. And some are even pointing at only the original 151 Pokemon. This game could be a real disaster. I'm really hoping for something better. Like, if it's a Kanto sequel, with a brand new engine nothing like the 3DS games, and doesn't rely so much on the original 151 Pokemon. I'm not holding my breath, though.

---

Otherwise, Kingdom Hearts III. However, at this point I don't need anymore info, I'm in the "Just give me the game" stage. Lol.

I have pipe dreams, pipe dreams that will surely not happen: A Golden Sun game, and a Paper Mario in the style of the N64 and GCN games.
    • MVS wrote:

@lord-of-shadow They literally have said several times it is WAY OFF. Just listen to interviews of their developers and it is crystal clear. "A very long way off" + two large projects that are bigger than anything they have done prior. So we have to wait for those two bigger projects before they start on TES 6 from what I understand.
      Hmm, I stand corrected then. I didn't think they'd be bold enough to do a new IP first. Good. I'm not a huge fan of Elder Scrolls (or Fallout), I'm mostly interested in them to see everyone else in the universe freak out about it and to see if they finally solved any of the problems I have the series. So I'm much more interested in a new IP.

Envy wrote:

Super Smash Bros 5 - If we get a port instead than I will be really mad, but I really don't think that Nintendo would have advertised the game the way they have if that were the case. Either way, I really want to see some shake-up here. The formula was running dry to me with SSB4. I will still have some excitement if it is just standard fare, which is what I expect, but I hope for something different.
      What's the difference between Smash 5 or Smash 4 + extra characters items, and levels? Not much, to be honest, unless Smash 5 reinvents core gameplay, which seems unlikely. Mostly just semantics.

Smash 4 is the best smash, I'd say, so it would almost be a shame if they didn't bring it over to the Switch, for the poor souls who missed it on the Wii U.
      Pronouns: He/Him

The post was edited 5 times, last by Max N. ().

• @TruEdge67 Did you miss that we actually got a Metroid Prime game fairly recently? It is called Metroid Prime Federation Force. :waggle:

I am convinced that Pokemon Switch really will come out this year, plus the fact that Metroid Prime 4 is not slated for 2018 plus that Nintendo will not show games beyond 2018... because of that it is no way we will see Metroid Prime 4 in the E3-presentation. Maybe shortly after E3 if we are lucky but definitely not during it. Getting both a new Pokemon game AND Smash 5 the same year is very huge... more huge than Mario + Zelda last year, and because of that they really don't need Metroid Prime 4 or any other hyped up game this year.

But I don't like that Game Freak make their games so fast. I would like them having way more ambition. If it comes out this year it can't possibly be a huge step from their (3)DS-titles prior. You don't need to get out new games every single damn year, and if you do, just give us some sidegame or remaster or whatever. I have very little faith in Pokemon Switch right now, but I will probably still buy since it will come out on console and I can play it on a big screen. I stopped playing Pokemon after the second generation by the way so I wouldn't mind personally if the rumors are true that we only will have the original 151 Pokemon. The only problem I see with that is for the sake of balance. The psychic-type was way too overpowered in gen 1, but then they fixed that in gen 2 by implementing the dark-type. But if they really are going to ignore everything beyond gen 1, we will not have the dark or steel type which would suck a bit.

But I hope in general for some surprises during E3, even if it is ports/remasters. I want more 3D JRPGs on the Switch. Why not The Last Story 2?

The post was edited 3 times, last by MVS ().

• 1. It is tough to pick just one to put here. Whatever the new From Software game is though, that would have to be the one I'm most excited for.

2. An F-Zero game would definitely surprise me, considering how dormant that franchise has been. I love those games too so seeing a new entry be revealed would make me very happy.

3. Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE making its way to the Switch. Not enough people played it, and it is by far my favorite game on the Wii U. I really believe it deserves a new lease on life, and would sell well on the Switch. It definitely could happen with all these ports coming across, but am I expecting it? Unfortunately not ;(
    • I mentioned that I wanted an F-Zero game, but I'm totally not expecting it btw, lol. I think Miyamoto sees no future in it, apparently saying he felt the series had 'peaked'. The last game was nearly 15 years ago...

But I could see Retro Studios bringing it back (just *maybe*), with a twist. That old Star Fox X F-Zero rumour would be sweet if true.