Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    Pinned
    Master Ideas! Wishes/Wants/Ideas for Future Zelda titles
    • This will never happen but I'd really love to see a new 2D Zelda with a more 2.5D graphics engine style like Pokemon Let's Go but with a unique artstyle that takes design ques from OoT 3D, MM 3D, ALBW, WW HD, TP HD, and even TFH meshed into one new unique style. Basically a sort 2D Zelda version of BotW, but better than BotW. It'd even see the return of traditional dungeons.

Adult Link will actually be in a 2D Zelda space again, as he hasn't been in a 2D Zelda since ALttP, despite the Young Link voice he had in the GBA version of that game.

Also, Link's green tunic will actually have relevance in the canon of the story and lore again, but still optional to wear, just obtainable early on in the main quest. Champion's tunic and Hylian Tunic should also be present too, for those who liked them in BotW. But the Hero's tunic is the main story garment again.

World will be big, but not as big as BotW obviously. And Ganondorf should make a return. His human form hasn't appeared in 2D Zelda before like ever.

And lastly, the game should have all enemies from OoT, MM, WW, TP, ALBW, and TFH. Yes, this includes all versions of Redeads and of course the return of Dead Hand (finally). All while the next 3D Zelda should see the return of Young Link into the 3D Zelda setting again, as he hasn't been in a 3D Zelda since MM. And of course the new 3D Zelda should also have all enemies and mini-bosses from previous Zelda games.

Anyways, that's all for now. Keep in mind that I said is an idea that unfortunately will never happen, but if it did, it would be awesome.
    • If Aonuma decides to keep the "breakable weapons/shields" for the next game, they could use the HD-rumble to tell you how long your weapon will last (or the shield). This will be more useful if the equipment will last far longer than that in BotW. For example, when Link hit an enemy with a new sword... the HD-rumble will not respond. But the more he uses it, the "louder" will the HD-rumble get... till it finally breaks. With the shields the HD-rumble will respond when an enemy hits the shield, or when Link is shieldsurfing or whatever. Or that the HD-rumble always respond, but in different ways so you can tell the difference between the "usual hits/usage" and the "your weapon/shield is soon broken".
    • MVS wrote:

If Aonuma decides to keep the "breakable weapons/shields" for the next game, they could use the HD-rumble to tell you how long your weapon will last (or the shield). This will be more useful if the equipment will last far longer than that in BotW. For example, when Link hit an enemy with a new sword... the HD-rumble will not respond. But the more he uses it, the "louder" will the HD-rumble get... till it finally breaks. With the shields the HD-rumble will respond when an enemy hits the shield, or when Link is shieldsurfing or whatever. Or that the HD-rumble always respond, but in different ways so you can tell the difference between the "usual hits/usage" and the "your weapon/shield is soon broken".
      I'm not wild about that, I'd rather have an icon to represent, pizza-slice-style (possibly hidden until you press a certain button to drop down a brief status bar), how much durability an item has, but this time around I'd like the option to be able to repair them with raw materials rather than losing them once they break.

PJCLink wrote:

This will never happen but I'd really love to see a new 2D Zelda with a more 2.5D graphics engine style like Pokemon Let's Go but with a unique artstyle that takes design ques from OoT 3D, MM 3D, ALBW, WW HD, TP HD, and even TFH meshed into one new unique style. Basically a sort 2D Zelda version of BotW, but better than BotW. It'd even see the return of traditional dungeons.
      I'm having a hell of a time imagining just what you're visualizing. Is there anything that exists that you can provide an image of as a point of reference?

PJCLink wrote:

Adult Link will actually be in a 2D Zelda space again, as he hasn't been in a 2D Zelda since ALttP, despite the Young Link voice he had in the GBA version of that game.
      I guess that would mean a graphical update, which I'd be in favor of, but I'm not especially attached to adult Link over younger versions. What would be cool is if they did Ocarina of style transitions between what equipment is available to use, or where size differences matter to who can access what kind of places (small Link being able to crawl through tiny holes, for example). THAT would be cool with me. But then that's just a microcosm of the whole Mask mechanic which I wish they'd bring back.

PJCLink wrote:

Also, Link's green tunic will actually have relevance in the canon of the story and lore again, but still optional to wear, just obtainable early on in the main quest. Champion's tunic and Hylian Tunic should also be present too, for those who liked them in BotW. But the Hero's tunic is the main story garment again.
      I guess maybe, but it would be fun to do something more with it, like have impostors Link has to deal with who are pretending to be him so there's a more widespread acknowledgment of the Hero's garments by the common people.

PJCLink wrote:

World will be big, but not as big as BotW obviously. And Ganondorf should make a return. His human form hasn't appeared in 2D Zelda before like ever.
      Again, I'd so something a little different even if the human form of Ganon hasn't been seen on a handheld; maybe he's got amnesia and isn't a pure bad guy, and slowly regains his memory as Link tries to find a way to deal with him before he becomes his evil old self.

PJCLink wrote:

And lastly, the game should have all enemies from OoT, MM, WW, TP, ALBW, and TFH. Yes, this includes all versions of Redeads and of course the return of Dead Hand (finally). All while the next 3D Zelda should see the return of Young Link into the 3D Zelda setting again, as he hasn't been in a 3D Zelda since MM. And of course the new 3D Zelda should also have all enemies and mini-bosses from previous Zelda games.
      Dead Hand was irritating because of how much time was involved in waiting for it to show vulnerability. I'd take a Twilight Princess sort of makeover, the sort that their version of ReDeads got, to make it more interesting to fight, if nothing else. Also does Wind Waker not count as young Link?

Apart from that I would like to see some of the Majora's Mask enemies return but that's about it.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Bomb Arrow ().

• Bomb Arrow wrote:

I'm having a hell of a time imagining just what you're visualizing. Is there anything that exists that you can provide an image of as a point of reference?
      Not really. The 2 of the closest things I can are 3D and only one them is 2D. Here's the 3D examples:

Now just imagine that but in 2D. And now here's the 2D example:

Yes, that's the beta version of ALBW. Just imagine an artstyle like in the 3D examples in a 2D space with an gameplay engine like ALBW but with the same type of graphics engine and camera angle style of Pokemon Let's Go as seen here:

This should enough food for thought enough for clear visualization.

Bomb Arrow wrote:

I guess that would mean a graphical update, which I'd be in favor of, but I'm not especially attached to adult Link over younger versions. What would be cool is if they did Ocarina of style transitions between what equipment is available to use, or where size differences matter to who can access what kind of places (small Link being able to crawl through tiny holes, for example). THAT would be cool with me. But then that's just a microcosm of the whole Mask mechanic which I wish they'd bring back.
      It would be cool to return to the whole switch between kid to adult Link forms like in OoT again, but only without the time travel bit and maybe replaced with return of the mask system, like originally planned for MM. I remember Adult Link was originally supposed to be in MM through a mask, but was replaced with Fierce Deity instead. While it was cool being able to play as a badass godlike form of Link, it still would've been nice if they kept the Adult Link mask in as it would've been fun to play as either version of Link again like in OoT, only with masks instead of time travel. A real bummer. So yeah, I'm all for a game featuring both Young and Adult Link again. Whether it be in 2D or 3D. And yes, I'd love for the mask system to return as well!

Bomb Arrow wrote:

I guess maybe, but it would be fun to do something more with it, like have impostors Link has to deal with who are pretending to be him so there's a more widespread acknowledgment of the Hero's garments by the common people.
      This would be interesting. Though TFH kind of already did this sort of thing, with the faux hero, and PH as well with the Self-Proclaimed Hero. But I guess meant multiple imposters. I also actually have a similar idea to this for my fan fiction machinima called "Smash of Time". Where Link would come across another Link and even an evil villain wearing a face like his. I always liked the idea of a hero in entertainment coming across imposter/doppelganger like characters that he/she had to fight or deal with.

Bomb Arrow wrote:

Again, I'd so something a little different even if the human form of Ganon hasn't been seen on a handheld; maybe he's got amnesia and isn't a pure bad guy, and slowly regains his memory as Link tries to find a way to deal with him before he becomes his evil old self.
      This would be interesting. What if Ganondorf with amnesia, started off as Link's accompanying friend/ally, going by a different name. Then later remembers who he is and suddenly betrays Link. It be the most interesting take on him since WW. It give him more character and emotion than even WW brought to him. Also, it would add a meaningful connection between him and Link. They both have fond memories of their travels and built new found friendship. So they both don't want to fight each other but have to because of the inevitable cursed destiny.

It'd also be a good way to involve Demise's curse into the lore properly and how it really effected Ganondorf. Ganondorf didn't choose to be heir to the Demon King. It was forced upon him. And he was convinced to embrace it due to his lust/desire for Hyrule's wind being denied by the royal family.

I really think this would be an interesting take on his character and help him to be cool to a lot of fans again, rather than just that one overused constantly forced in villain. I'd like for Ganondorf to actually have more reason for his presence other than that he's just there for the Triforce, just cause he's Hyrule's most common villain, or just for the sake of tradition (even though Nintendo is supposed to be rethinking the conventions here).

Man, here they put a new garment (Champion's Tunic) over the Hero's garment (Hero's Tunic) in BotW but they kept the same villain?

Bomb Arrow wrote:

Dead Hand was irritating because of how much time was involved in waiting for it to show vulnerability. I'd take a Twilight Princess sort of makeover, the sort that their version of ReDeads got, to make it more interesting to fight, if nothing else.
      I really just want Dead Hand back. And in all of it's original OoT 64 version's horrific glory. And yes, I agree the method of fighting it is annoying. However, using the lens of truth and bombing where it's hiding makes fighting it at least little more fun. But they it would be nice if it did more than what it did in OoT. Like have it move a bit faster and try to bite at Link faster to make it more of a challenge and more intimidating. They could even have it where the hands can do more than just grab Link in place. Like the hand actually trying to hurt Link and get in his way. I think those additions would make fighting Dead Hand more fun and also truly terrifying again at the same time.

Basically they need to make Dead Hand a frightening terror again.

Bomb Arrow wrote:

Also does Wind Waker not count as young Link?
      No, Wind Waker Link is Toon Link. Toon Link is Nintendo's brilliant idea of a smaller cartoony chibi version of Adult Link as an attempt to appeal more to the younger kiddie kid audience. But as everyone who's played the game knows, the attempt failed in a way, thanks to the most horrifying versions of Redeads ever and Link stabbing Ganondorf in the forehead like a total badass with a bad attitude.

Bomb Arrow wrote:

Apart from that I would like to see some of the Majora's Mask enemies return but that's about it.
      I really just want a Zelda game with all enemies, mini bosses, and bosses from the series history. Including both Stal enemies from BotW and the real Stalfos (like Stal Children from OoT/MM, Stalfos Knights, and Stalmasters) from games prior to BotW. And lastly both traditional Redeads like in OoT/MM, WW, and TFH along with Redead Knights from TP in the same game would also be cool. And actually make the Redead Knights terrifying, not slow, boring, and trying too hard to be creepy but failing. Seriously, I always found the Redead Knights such a disappointment. They're so slow and way too easy to kill. And their sword swings are easy to avoid sometimes, depending on where you're standing. I never found them scary at all. Not like the WW ones.

If both or either version(s) of the redeads return, they should at least be a scary and intimidating as the WW ones.

BackSet-Chan wrote:

Could we just have a durability bar?
      Yes, please! And repair system! And storage system! I'd like to be able to actually keep all those cool weapons I find in such a huge world, thank you very much.
    • I know it will probably never happen, but I would love to see Taro Yoko and his Drakengard/NiEr team's take on a Zelda game. Something along the lines of MM or TP, but with Taro's signature dark take. The first NiEr game already borrows a lot of design and gameplay elements from TP (like shadowy enemies, the ability to ride a boar, its overall action RPG feel, even a floating companion character) and one of its dungeons even directly references the Zelda series, complete with their take on the "na na na NA!" found item jingle and pose.

I'd just like to see the logical conclusion and see that team's take on an actual Zelda game, especially the complex, likely morally ambigious story they could come up with. And I'd love an Emil cameo :)

BotW Zelda in her purple Hylian Tunic, by my husband, DarkSilver.

"Breath of the Wild: "Zelda's Redemption" Chapter 3 now up!

After Calamity Ganon's defeat, a devastated Zelda must come to terms with her ruined kingdom, dead friends, and the resentment of the Hero who had saved her, but lost his fiancee. When all hope seems lost, she comes across a legend of a holy relic that can set things right, if she can find the ancient keys to access it. With the help of new friends, and without Link, can Zelda finally become a legend, on her own terms?

The post was edited 2 times, last by Violetlight ().

• Miles wrote:

A companion system would allow other characters to hold items in addition to Link.

What if they had a hunger system to encourage eating food more often? They could introduce a pan item that allows you to cook anywhere you can make a fire. If necessary, you can use the pan as an improvised weapon as well.
      I can't "prove" it here and now, but I remember Aonuma talking about having a hunger meter in BotW but ended up scrapping it. We could very well have one in a future title...
    • If they were to remake the Oracles (ideally as two parts of a single game), what if they added a new Third Quest as a reward for clearing OoS and OoA? The Third Quest brings Link back to Hyrule, though most of his items from Holodrum and Labrynna have been stolen, the exceptions being his Sword, Shield, and Magic Rings. Link starts with five hearts, and his Sword and Shield will be L-2 (the Master Sword and Mirror Shield are moved to Hyrule).
    • TriforceHolder wrote:

I don't understand your meaning. How are those two things separate in a canoncy debate?
      Suppose Link's Crossbow Training had a BotW inspired sequel with a story mode, retelling BotW but Link has a crossbow instead.
      Obviously, that game would not be canon to the series as a whole.
      Now, imagine that game gives Link Mario's cap if you tap the Mario Amiibo; no explanations given, it's just there.
      Obviously, this is not canon to the rest of the story mode. The cutscenes are canon to the game, the hat Link's wearing is not.

On the flipside, one could make the bizarre argument that the Master Cycle from Mario Kart 8 is canon to BotW's Champion Ballad DLC (as the Master Cycle Zero is named in reference to it), yet Mario Kart 8 is not canon to BotW or the series.

This is the difference between game canon and series canon.

Partial signature credit to Eternalegend

The post was edited 1 time, last by gamtos ().

• I've always thought it'd be really cool to have an overhead isometric Zelda game. It obviously wouldn't have to be a dungeon crawler or a rogue or something like Diablo, but I've had a lot of fun playing those games for the first time recently and it'd be fun to have a take like that in Zelda. Especially if the models and environment were fairly detailed and stylized. So far games like A Link Between Worlds have a distinct style but they don't really feel rich or detailed.

Also some lore or aesthetics inspired by J.R.R. Tolkien would be heckin awesome.
      I AM TAKANUVA, TOA OF LIGHT!

You'll be hearing my name someday, whenever people talk about heroes - Takua!
    • Even though I still don't see a new 2D Zelda happening at this point. But if it did, at this point, it's more likely that they'll definitely take notes from Pokemon Let's Go, and perhaps revive another old idea from the Broadcast Satellaview games like they did with ALBW with the whole rental system. And the TFH Demo with the specific times of day of the servers being up. I believe this time, they'll actually bring back the boy/girl "Hero of Light" character in a more definitive canonical form.

Especially since it has been stated that Aonuma wants to revolutionize 2D Zelda in the same kind of way that 3D Zelda was. And I feel like the most likely scenario if this is still their plan, is do what has been with Pokemon. Basically giving 2D Zelda the Let's Go treatment by reviving and rethinking the BS Zelda concept. We've never gotten an official worldwide release of the BS Zelda games. So this would be a really good treat for BS Zelda fans.

And it's probably more likely than the other ideas for 2D Zelda that I've shared. The other ideas I've shared, I feel have a 0% chance of happening at this point, but more realistically to fair, more at 25%. While this idea has whopping 75% chance of actually happening. As in, it's very likely, but if it does happening, it might not be in a way that's expected.

I can imagine that they'll make the idea of bringing back the Hero of Light character feel very new again. And that they'll most likely tie the game in with BotW in some way, lore wise. So the game might play a lot like a 2D BotW, with the Hero of Light instead of Link. And with optional co-operative play like seen in Let's Go where, other players can freely join in with their own Hero of Light characters.

And finally, they should have Link (starting with his traditional wear) be an unlockable character option to play as in a second playthrough if you beat the game.

Not sure what the story would be, but all I can say is that it'd most likely be something new but connected to BotW in some way.
    • @PJCLink

Revisiting the "Hero of Light" could be cool, and a good solution to a gender option, but I fail to see how they'd work that into the lore or world of Zelda since they're leaning heavily into the idea of Link (canonically that's his name) and Zelda consistently being the two to save Hyrule.

Though I think it'd be cool to say the least and again would actually allow for a female protagonist without messing with Link.
    • Mango The Magician wrote:

Revisiting the "Hero of Light" could be cool, and a good solution to a gender option
      Yes it would. As for gender option, I wouldn't mind if they had female Link. Just don't have it where it's a choice. Just one gender for Link. Sometimes guy, others as a girl. But yeah, with Hero of Light, they could easily make the gender option work better that way.

Mango The Magician wrote:

but I fail to see how they'd work that into the lore or world of Zelda since they're leaning heavily into the idea of Link (canonically that's his name) and Zelda consistently being the two to save Hyrule.
      Do you somehow live a reality where Nintendo never planned to "rethink" the Zelda conventions? Or did I somehow dream all that talk when Aonuma blabbed non-stop about that whole "rethinking the conventions" thing over and over again? As far as I know, I was not dreaming any of that! Otherwise, we'd have a much better Zelda game than BotW as Zelda Wii U.

And don't forget that ALBW was already heavily inspired by AST! While TFH used BS Zelda's and AST's whole certain times gimmick for the demo's servers. ALBW and TFH were definitely made with BS Zelda in mind. Also, the Faux Hero in TFH was a nod to both Hero of Light, ALttP Link, and MM Link in one. Look kinda like Link but isn't, much like the Hero of Light. He had ALttP Link's famous in-game only pink hair. And MM Link's sword, but with a silver hilt instead of gold. And I believe also wore a vest like ALttP Link's Uncle, the Flute Boy from ALttP, and Gulley from ALBW.

But the main focus was the Hero of Light bit because he was also a respected heroic swordsman, who unfortunately just happened to not quite be who Hytopian king was looking for. Despite him also being a respected hero as implied by the fact that has friendly tokens and a sword of his. So clearly he could not only fight, but just as well as Link. If that doesn't bring the Hero of Light into mind, then I don't know what will besides maybe the Green hair of Green Link. Yes, I know that Red and Blue also have the same hair color as their main tunic to differentiate each other better and I may just be pushing it their.

However, if you think about it, why would they even need that gimmick specifically anyways? They could've used other ways of having Link differed apart. Like have all outfits use their color rather than just some. Or outlines like the 3DS version of Smash 4 did for team battles.

As I said, the latest 2D Zelda games were made with BS Zelda in mind. And Link's traditional tunic wasn't even important in BotW at all! Speaking of which, Link was even said to be "the Light" by Zelda herself in that game. A heavy nod to the Hero of Light. That said, I really wouldn't be surprised if they brought back the Hero of Light concept but just made some adjustments to make him/her actually more a part of the Zelda universe. After the original idea just came from an avatar system not exclusive to Zelda. Not to mention, they even also nodded to the Hero of Light in Nintendo Land also, seeing as how you had a Zelda attraction world where you played as yet again, an avatar not exclusive to Zelda. And they played with the idea of a Zelda-like RPG game with Miis with Miitopia. The more like Final Fantasy, but played more like Zelda how you started with one character and you even solved puzzles on occasions. Not to mention you could literally dress your character like Link.

They could bring back the Hero of Light title. But it would be for their own avatar system for the franchise instead of just some non-exclusive thing. It'd be more like the more recent pokemon games, more notably, Pokemon Go and Let's Go. Especially given the popularity of those two games. There's a rumor going around since the last month that there's potentially a mobile Zelda game coming. What if the next 2D Zelda and that mobile Zelda could somehow connect to each like Pokemon Go and Let's Go do?

It'd be the perfect time to revive and canonize the Hero of Light. They could even make the Hero of Light customizable, but only to the same extent as like the playable trainer avatar in Let's Go. While the mobile Zelda might have a little bit more options like Pokemon Go does compared to Let's Go. And lastly they could even base the Hero of Light on the Faux Hero from TFH.

What if something happens to Link, or Link is on another adventure, but Hyrule needs help. Who would save Hyrule if Link's not there? We've seen what happens if no hero shows up. WW. But what if there was a hero while Link is absent? That would be the Hero of Light! And his/her story and how he/she could exist as an offshoot of Link's spiritual kin as a result of the Hero Spirit shattered into over a 100+ pieces. It would help explain the whole Champion's Tunic vs Hero's Tunic conundrum in BotW better.

What if the Hero who fought Ganon 10,000 years ago was actually the Hero of Light, and the Link in BotW is having an identity crisis forced upon him by Hyrule all because a blue tunic guy saved the land thousands of years ago? After all, the Hero from the 10,000 year legend had long full blown pure red hair. While Link never had red hair. Let alone hair that long. Clear indicators that there must be another hero who sometimes saves Hyrule other than Link. And since Hyrule is so used to Link, and the two are very similar to each other, they sometimes get them mixed up. Especially after so many years and having just learned about things from the past.

Anyways, enough of that. Point is, the return of the Hero of Light is very possible now. Especially with this whole "Rethinking the Conventions" thing that's still going on. Not to mention that BS Zelda has clearly been on Nintendo's minds since Nintendo Land as evident in every single main series Zelda since after Nintendo Land with such obvious but subtle nods to BS Zelda.

So with that said, I imagine a 2D Zelda inspired by LA, BS Zelda, and OoT. You play as new rethought definitive version of the Hero of Light. The setting is Hyrule. But there are characters inspired by LA. And the villain is inspired by Nightmare/Dethl from LA. However, the main villain is Ganondorf who is revived by the Nightmare/Dethl inspired villain. And the Hero of Light has to stop him since Link is not around.

Though I think it'd be cool to say the least and again would actually allow for a female protagonist without messing with Link.
      I agree with this. But again. I wouldn't mind playing as a female incarnation of Link. I just don't want Link's gender to be a choice since Link is an existing set in stone character. The gender option would work for the Hero of Light in future Zelda games since the Hero of Light's gender has already been decidable by players since day 1 of his/her debut and that how the character would exist the Zelda world is not actually explicitly set in stone yet.
    • @PJCLink

Uhh...yeah I underestimated my ability to hold a conversation on this site when all I have that can access the site is my phone (my computer game ended itself.)

Anyways couple of points:

-I know you're cool with a fem Link. I was just stating that the option of a seperate character who can be customized similar to say Sonic Forces would allow players a female option without changing Link, something many people, including myself (Link is too iconic to change and not only is the idea of one singular being always showing up looking identical throughout history really interesting, but just in general part of what makes Link so cool to me is that he is a boy who manages to be effeminate without going full-blown JRPG boy band), do not want...and if I'm gonna be honest I hate trudging this up even though I'm the one who did. The topic came up elsewhere and I found myself itching to argue over it knowing that I shouldn't bring it up. So yeah I think a Hero of Light revival would be cool and would be a good compromise to that argument.

-BOTW leans really really heavily into the idea of Link and Zelda always showing up to save Hyrule. SS established the title of "The Hero of Legend" as a title referring specifically to Link and Link reincarnations, and BOTW further leans into it by going on to establish that Link and Zelda, from the perspective of Hyrule, always show up to fight Ganon...and this ties into what Link and Zelda represent in BOTW relative to Calamity Ganon, in that they're essentially Adam and Eve of the Hylian race and are the personification of both sides of Hyrule facing against destruction in primal evil form...or at least that was my interpetation. Also the tapestry guy in BOTW is definitely a version of Link, the game makes that clear, but whether or not he has "red hair" is up to personal debate and personally I consider the colors of the tapestry to be too weird to make any clear interpretation of what any person is meant to look like.

-TFH is weird. The game is weird and places a lot of emphasis on gameplay firstand hardly has any story at all. I wouldn't consider anything in it to representative of what the next 2D Zelda will be and the guy who is a fake Link is more so just a reference to ALttP Link...though I still don't see pink in his hair no matter how much I look at it it just look orange, but plenty of people have said it's pink and I guess that's just the wonderful nature of colors.

Anyways...hero of light would be cool to revisit and I'd be down for it...so long as they find a way to separate this Hero from Link and from "The Hero of Legend" and definitely don't just make Link into the "Hero of Light" as that would suck.
    • Mango The Magician wrote:

I know you're cool with a fem Link. I was just stating that the option of a seperate character who can be customized similar to say Sonic Forces would allow players a female option without changing Link, something many people, including myself (Link is too iconic to change and not only is the idea of one singular being always showing up looking identical throughout history really interesting, but just in general part of what makes Link so cool to me is that he is a boy who manages to be effeminate without going full-blown JRPG boy band), do not want...and if I'm gonna be honest I hate trudging this up even though I'm the one who did. The topic came up elsewhere and I found myself itching to argue over it knowing that I shouldn't bring it up. So yeah I think a Hero of Light revival would be cool and would be a good compromise to that argument.
      I understand your feelings. I used to be strict male Link too. But then I realized that a female Link could work if done right. And the more I thought about it, the more I actually want it. Just not as an option. If an incarnation of Link is gonna be a girl. It needs to be actually a part of the story by default. Not as a stinking option.

-BOTW leans really really heavily into the idea of Link and Zelda always showing up to save Hyrule. SS established the title of "The Hero of Legend" as a title referring specifically to Link and Link reincarnations, and BOTW further leans into it by going on to establish that Link and Zelda, from the perspective of Hyrule, always show up to fight Ganon...and this ties into what Link and Zelda represent in BOTW relative to Calamity Ganon, in that they're essentially Adam and Eve of the Hylian race and are the personification of both sides of Hyrule facing against destruction in primal evil form...or at least that was my interpetation.
      Not exactly. The game never explicitly said that the red haired hero from 10,000 years ago was Link. Anyone in that time who would say that they believe such don't actually know who the hero from the myth actually was. It's just a old myth to them anyways. They know as much about it as we do. Literally just that Calamity Ganon showed up, a hero guy, a princess, and sheikah stopped him. Then the sheikah were banished. With a faction becoming the Yiga Clan. Then there's Divine Beasts and Guardians that were involved. That's all. Nothing more.

The game never made it clear that hero from 10,000 years ago was Link. I still honestly find it hard to believe it was, considering that the hero from that tapestry looks nothing like Link at all! The hair is a dead give away considering the fact that Link never had red hair. The closest thing he ever had to being a red head was orange hair. But never actual red hair.

Also, remember when BotW was first revealed at E3 2014, and Aonuma even joked about that no one explicitly said that Link was Link? Think about that for a moment. What if what he was actually implying, hinting, or foreshadowing this idea in the game of another hero from ancient legend that actually isn't Link? Like oh, I don't know, the hero from 10,000 years ago? What if this idea was thought of since even before E3 2014? Perhaps maybe they even considered the possibility of having this hero be the one that's playable instead of Link at one point in development.

Also the tapestry guy in BOTW is definitely a version of Link, the game makes that clear
      This is actually false. Nowhere in the game does it actually explicitly point out that the ancient hero guy or girl or whatever is Link. Just that there was a hero a long time ago and that people naturally believe it might of the same hero that Link is destined to be. I mean Link is only heroic figure they saw there, so naturally, of course they would think Link is somehow related to some random blue clothed red haired figure. It's been like 10,000 years since whenever that event took place. And for all they anyone knows, maybe actually even longer than that.

Aonuma once pointed out at how history becomes corrupted over time. That nobody actually knows exactly what happened. And that people sometimes tend to forget and overlook that hard sad reality check fact. And I actually agree with him there. Besides all the people have in BotW's time period is just some tapestry that they think is of an event from 10,000+ years ago based the little information that they know. They don't actually know who that hero from long ago even was!

but whether or not he has "red hair" is up to personal debate and personally I consider the colors of the tapestry to be too weird to make any clear interpretation of what any person is meant to look like.
      Actually considering that the tapestry got the princess's appearance accurate as she actually looks like exactly like Zelda. The Divine Beasts, Guardians, and Sheikah Monks are also accurate. The only one that's off is the hero. Who looks nothing like Link at all! Again, the red hair is a huge dead give away that that simply cannot be Link no matter what you think or believe. That is definitely not Link! Link does not have red hair!

But do want to know who did have red hair though? The Hero of Light! But only if you had a girl avatar! I'm saying that the hero of that event was a girl or anything. I'm saying that the hero from the tapestry is somehow Hero of Light related. This goes with what said to Link in the beginning of BotW. "You are the light". Remember, that people in that time think that Link is somehow the hero from long ago reborn. Not knowing that recognizing the simple fact that Link is a guy who usually wears green in each incarnation, not blue. And that Link does not have red hair.

The monks even have the actual hero's tunic that the people of Hyrule totally forgot existed. To prove that Link and the blue clothed red haired guy from long ago are two completely different heroes.

Also, remember that the Hero of Light can notably also wield the Master Sword, not just Link.

and the guy who is a fake Link is more so just a reference to ALttP Link
      Even though he's not actually a Link. You do know and realize that AST is a spinoff sequel to ALttP right? The only nod to ALttP Link about that guy is his hair, literally.

though I still don't see pink in his hair no matter how much I look at it it just look orange, but plenty of people have said it's pink and I guess that's just the wonderful nature of colors.
      It's definitely pink. I don't know what to tell you.

Anyways...hero of light would be cool to revisit and I'd be down for it...so long as they find a way to separate this Hero from Link and from "The Hero of Legend" and definitely don't just make Link into the "Hero of Light" as that would suck.
      Totally agree.
    • BackSet-Chan wrote:

Link is kind of a gender neuteral name. When I dissasociate the name Link with the character I don't think of a gender.
      Yeah. Same. I actually created my own female version of Link in Soul Calibur VI a couple months ago. She's just named Link. But I dubbed her "Lady Link" since she's a female Link, to differentiate her from the male Link. Sort of like how Young Link is called Young Link to differentiate from Adult Link. They're all Link, but they have labels/words before their names to differentiate from each other.

Here's some pics of Lady Link for those who are curious about her:

These were the latest pics I ever shared on Twitter, nearly a couple months ago. I have more recent pics that are from relatively early last month that I haven't come around to sharing on Twitter yet. Mainly because I've been busy working on getting into college. I'm also wondering now, if I should make Lady Link in Smash Ultimate. Oh great, now I'm curious on how that would look.

Lastly, I gave Lady Link a ponytail, as I always thought of Samus as a like a female Link already. So I took inspiration from that.