Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    Pinned
    Master Ideas! Wishes/Wants/Ideas for Future Zelda titles
    • Dimentio wrote:

An actual Wind Waker successor and none of this BotW "the journey is the reward" bullcrap. I want to play an epic, not an open-world game with only temporary or unsatisfying rewards.
      You uh... you do realize that most epics have the moral “the journey is the reward” and that every zelda game pretty much ends with link getting a completely unsatisfactory reward (getting sent back in time to relive his child hood, going back to traveling on a boat so he can find a new country and having to give up the master sword, nothing at all, etc.)
    • There are two instances where you find worthwhile things in (non-DLC) treasure chests in BotW: The Hylian Shield after beating the Stalnox in Hyrule Castle, and the Diamond Tiara in the guardian-filled Hole of Terror underneath the Island Labyrinth.

I have to say, those two instances of "yeah! Score!" made me check every single other chest in the game.

I miss finding significant things in treasure chests. :(

BotW Zelda in her purple Hylian Gear, by my husband, D4rkSilver
    • Violetlight wrote:

There are two instances where you find worthwhile things in (non-DLC) treasure chests in BotW: The Hylian Shield after beating the Stalnox in Hyrule Castle, and the Diamond Tiara in the guardian-filled Hole of Terror underneath the Island Labyrinth.

I have to say, those two instances of "yeah! Score!" made me check every single other chest in the game.

I miss finding significant things in treasure chests. :(
      Aw, there's more than that. You find the barbarian armor and the climbing gear in chests as well. Those aren't DLC, IIRC. That's just off the top of my head, there may be more...
      A dark chase requires a silent hound, and deep roots are not reached by the frost.
    • Yeah, but those are Shrine rewards.

Also, can we please go back to the Piece of Heart system? Spirit Orbs feel incredibly underwhelming compared to heart pieces, and can we actually have them be found outside of Shrines? Especially considering how much of a waste of time it is to enter the blessing shrine, loading screen, walk up to guy, animation, then loading screen out? Blessing Shrines are the devil and so are most of the combat shrines.
    • Dimentio wrote:

Yeah, but those are Shrine rewards.

Also, can we please go back to the Piece of Heart system? Spirit Orbs feel incredibly underwhelming compared to heart pieces, and can we actually have them be found outside of Shrines? Especially considering how much of a waste of time it is to enter the blessing shrine, loading screen, walk up to guy, animation, then loading screen out? Blessing Shrines are the devil and so are most of the combat shrines.
      True. And yeah, I really didn't like the lack of Heart Pieces. That was sadness in my soul... :(

I really loved the ambience of BOTW. The game does an amazing job at conveying the feel of being lost in the wild. Everything feels old, the music is sparse and contemplative, weapons break, building campfires, cooking food, trading with travelers on the road. In that sense, I think the "everything breaks" model worked incredibly well. I get why from a gameplay standpoint it gets old, but it never really bothered me personally.

That being said, I would really hate it if every Zelda game from now on copied that mechanic. I'd like to see a not destroyed Hyrule based on the same engine as BOTW. I'd love a game set in a flourishing civilization where the meat of the game is kind of cloak and daggers. Like, for once Link and the main baddie were on nearly equal footing, and Link was desperately racing to prevent the baddie from destroying everything. SS almost did this, except Ghirahim was still much more powerful than Link from the outset and was mostly toying with him at first. If the villian was around Link's power level and had some actual character development and motivation for his actions, and was trying to out-maneuver Link to bring about some kind of horrible consequence, I think that would be so much more dynamic than previous Zelda stories. It would allow us to see a more developed side of Hyrule that we don't often see (like TP's Castle Town) but on the scale of BOTW. And it could still allow for the more personal dungeons from BOTW but bring back more traditional items and dungeon elements.
      A dark chase requires a silent hound, and deep roots are not reached by the frost.

The post was edited 1 time, last by GregariousTree: typo ().

• I admit I'd also like to see the old 16-bit/64-bit era soundfont come back, coupled with the idea I mentioned before.

For example, here are two samples from the OoT Project 3Q:

Live instruments are awesome, but some songs work really well in this format.

Also, I've always liked the idea of, after a long period of madness, Ganon gains the Triforce of Wisdom or something and is granted his old memories, restoring 'Ganondorf' so to speak.. who wakes to this sombering view of just how far he's fallen from grace. I once had the idea of an open world that plays out something like Majora's Mask, focused on individual characters and their stories in a cursed land... and Ganon himself wanders around the map as a sort of shade that you initially have to hide and escape from when you meet him in the overworld. And as you progress through a series of linear main story progression points, you grow stronger and are able to beat him back. For most the game, you wouldn't know Ganon's deal, until you find out he was on a similar quest as BotW Link gathering fragments of his own past memories. Ganon would rediscover himself... and it wouldn't change a damn thing. Tragically so, and the game would treat it as such. The mad beast was gone, but the King of Evil was back.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Wildecastor ().

• ich Will wrote:

I like those songs, they're so reminiscent of that darker and/or mysterious vibe that OoT and MM were good at displaying - at least in certain locations. Feels like modern Zelda lacks that vibe, I miss it.

Edit: Although to be fair, part of that is definitely my childhood nostalgia speaking.

Nah, the darker and the mystical vibe of the latest games are definitely far less than in the earliest 3D-games, so I refuse to think that it is our nostalgia that is speaking (maybe a tiny bit though). The only time I got that feeling back in BotW was when I ran around in the Lost Woods. Too bad that most shrines in that area sucked (one was good though). I loved the mystical tune when you were in a hole/cave/Deku Tree for example in OoT:

But as far as the "darker theme" goes, it is pretty much absent in Skyward Sword and Breath of the Wild. On the other hand, these two games offer you a different kind of "dark element" in the form of the Guardians in respective game. And that is really nice and I appreciated it... but I miss the "old dark element" that could touch upon death, sorrow and horror that we saw in Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. I don't ask for much, just a single area/chapter with this kind of theme and I would be satisfied. With a gigantic version of Hyrule as we saw in BotW you would think that Nintendo would put in everything they could think of... but nope.

The post was edited 2 times, last by MVS ().

• The closest to that feeling I got in BotW was against Calamity Ganon, seeing what looked like Ganondorf's decaying face on that abomination was strikingly sad to me. When we see Ganondorf, most the time he has that cocky grin on his face, or pure rage. In Calamity Ganon's incarnation, it almost seemed like a parasite dragging Ganondorf's corpse around in an attempt to recapture his most potent years. Recalling Wind Waker, it's strange to think that somewhere buried deep, deep inside that monster was a man who thought he was making a better home for his people, but let his ambitions get the better of him.

That was the one time I got it. I hope to for that dark mystical aspect to return some day. What we have is beautiful, but it could be even moreso.
    • @MVS Agreed. My memory might be failing me (and I may not have been in tune with the game), but I don't really recall getting that feeling from SS, except for when I first walked into Skyview Temple and heard its theme song. And yes, I too recall the Lost Woods in BotW having that feeling as you said. I think TP was the last 3D Zelda that had more of that vibe.

That's not to say the other feelings the games give off are necessarily bad, they're just different. It's probably a matter of preference. But sometimes I think the comedy and the light-hearted parts are misplaced, like with the Yiga.

The post was edited 2 times, last by ich Will ().

• The Yiga felt like a such wasted potential. And as I said before it just made the Gerudo and the Sheikah tribe look bad. In OoT I got the impression that the Gerudo was very professional, clever and elitist. In BotW they look so much more amateurish (mostly because the Yiga Clan kicked their asses). The Yiga should have been so much more serious and dark in my opinion. Now they felt like something ripped out of Paper Mario. I am a bit tired of Nintendo's lightheartedness as of late to be honest. It is fine that that is present, even in a Zelda game... but when it comes to the Yiga it felt just stupid and wrong. I am doubtful that the next title will be less goofy than BotW, but I can only hope. At least I have Metroid Prime 4 and Monolith Soft's new game to look forward to in that regard, and whenever they will release Dark Souls (sigh).

The post was edited 1 time, last by MVS ().

• Linkara wrote:

Is it bad that the darkest game released by nintendo on the switch so far was a mario game?

It would be bad if that was true, but it clearly isn't. Exactly what is dark about Super Mario Odyssey? That he take over creatures'/peoples' bodies? That one super tiny "level" where he fight a dragon? I would say that BotW is darker than Odyssey despite of its lightheartedness.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is probably the darkest "Nintendo-game" that is available on the Switch at the moment. And sure you can argue that Monolith Soft is a second party studio, but from my knowledge such a definition doesn't exist... and many consider them as first party nowadays. But I wouldn't be surprised if there is some other Nintendo title out there that is even darker on the Switch. But nothing that I know of.

The post was edited 1 time, last by MVS ().

• Linkara wrote:

It has it’s moments. Mostly in atmosphere. Lost Kingdom, pre-boss fight new donk city (dude, that was a legit terrorist attack right there). (Also: I honestly don’t care about the Xenonblade series and have never played it.)

At least over a million seems to care about the Xenoblade franchise... and it is still darker than both Odyssey and BotW so the point still stands. And you should care since it is a great franchise even if it has its own shortcomings (like most games). And as I said, despite the lightheartedness of BotW, it is still way darker than Odyssey if you ask me... and something tells me that a lot of people would agree on that.

Lost Kingdom was cool and atmospheric but not dark if you ask me. Pre-boss New Donk City was more cool and nice than "dark" (even though it was literally dark lol). If anything was dark about Odyssey I would say it was in that forest area where a T-Rex lurks around.