Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
Zelda game in the gerudo desert?
  • Would Fans accept the idea of a Zelda Game set entirely in the Gerudo Desert? 11
      Yes (4) 36%
      No (7) 64%
    Wouldn't it be cool if there was a Zelda game set entirely in the Gerudo Desert?

This would be a wonderful chance to expand this particular area of Hyrule and for once, populate it with races or civilizations other than the Gerudo (comeback of the Zuna) as well as giving this rather desolate region, it's own geography and lore. And for once, show us what is beyond the desert.

This could allow us to get a good insight to the history of the Gerudo and the desert itself as well as the dominant civilizations ruling over it.

This could also reintroduce the character of Ganondorf as well as explore the whole "one male every 100 years" tradition in Gerudo culture.

This can also apply to other regions too, having games set in just that particular region and expanding them to add more depth to Hyrule as well give a better idea of how large the land would really be. Bigger than Botw's Hyrule if each map of each region were to be assembled together,

The post was edited 1 time, last by Newell1435 ().

• I will say that lorewise, Ganondorf's childhood / rise to power could be a very, very interesting side story, and many fans have pointed this out.

However, I think it would alienate too far from the traditional Zelda formula. There has yet to be a Zelda without mountains and forests, for instance.

It takes a lot to make a desert continuously interesting. The Shantae games take place in a Disney-like middle eastern town but those games have you exploring a myriad of other biome regions as well.
  • It would be interesting, but in the end I'd miss the rich environments that Zelda games have.

Sure, they could include oases, shores, mountains... but I don't think it would be enough. It would change the tone of the game too much.
    100% | Finished | Now playing:
    TLoZ | 2nd Q | TAoL | ALttP | LA | LA DX | OoT | OoT MQ | MM | OoA | OoS | ALttP (GBA) | FS | TWW | FSA | TMC | TP | LCT | PH | ST | OoT 3D | FS AE | SS | ALBW | MM 3D | TFH | TP HD | BotW
  • Canyarion wrote:

It would be interesting, but in the end I'd miss the rich environments that Zelda games have.

Sure, they could include oases, shores, mountains... but I don't think it would be enough. It would change the tone of the game too much.
    It doesnt always have to be dunes. Some deserts like the ones in the americas are more rocky than sandy and i can imagine a section of the gerudo desert with buttes like the ones seen in utah
  • gamtos wrote:

I will say that lorewise, Ganondorf's childhood / rise to power could be a very, very interesting side story, and many fans have pointed this out.
    I could even see some justification as to why he became what he is coming fromt he desert itself. the geography shaping his mindset as well as the constant need for survival in such an environment in the form of other desert societies warring with each other,
  • At first it sounds really boring from a mere gameplay-perspective. The Gerudo Desert in BotW wasn't exactly super interesting to run around in. Maybe if we could move around fast, like how it was with the boat in TWW. From a lore perspective though? It could be very interesting if Ganondorf is involved with much story and cutscenes. I don't see why we only would have Gerudo Desert though, by now Nintendo knows how to make big worlds so there is just no point.
  • MVS wrote:

At first it sounds really boring from a mere gameplay-perspective. The Gerudo Desert in BotW wasn't exactly super interesting to run around in. Maybe if we could move around fast, like how it was with the boat in TWW. From a lore perspective though? It could be very interesting if Ganondorf is involved with much story and cutscenes. I don't see why we only would have Gerudo Desert though, by now Nintendo knows how to make big worlds so there is just no point.
    Probably give the desert it's own diverse regions based on real world desert biomes as well as populate it with settlements or even cities. Ruins and temples should make this interesting, especially if some of them are buried by the dunes.

Are you suggesting land sailing?

• Deserts are pretty boring in real life too :|

Newell1435 wrote:

I could even see some justification as to why he became what he is coming fromt he desert itself. the geography shaping his mindset as well as the constant need for survival in such an environment in the form of other desert societies warring with each other,
    It's a common enough "justify our villain" story but the point remains that he was a greedy d-bag compared to the other Gerudo who seem to do ok in the desert.

• Unless you manage to add a complete and varied ecosystem to Death Mountain, no dice. There is no possible way you could ever write an entire Zelda game centered around just Lake Hylia. Zora's Domain as a focal point might work but again, keeping the entire story contained to just Zora's Domain is impossible.

Here's some ideas for how to make Death Mountain work though:
    • Varying biomes. Death Mountain could be more of a collective mountain range that includes mountains like we see in Hebra, Zora's Domain and the Gerudo Highlands.
    • Massive cave systems:
      • Gem-studded crystal caves
      • Chiseled halls dimly lit by glowcrystals / bioluminiscent material / roaring flames.
      • Great underground lakes
      • Dark and eery locations with the occasional skittering of an unseen enemy.
      • Snow-covered peaks with ice caves.
    • Vast Goron settlements
      • Great magma forges.
      • Large, technological mining companies.
      • Distinct Goron designs and cultures.
        • Rare, ancient crystalline Goron deities that possess the magical qualities gems have in Breath of the wild. Somewhat similar to Great Fairies.
        • Smooth river rock Gorons from the lake caves, with polished skin that glow a dim phosphorous blue from the apatite gems that decorates their bodies. They live mostly underwater.
        • Roughly hewn horned Gorons from dark volcanic stone infused with magma. Think Fyrus, but friendlier.
        • Moss covered Gorons from the base of the mountain. Various flowers grow on their bodies, and they can speak with animals.
        • Sandstone Gorons from the desert, thought to be a myth by the Gerudo.
        • Eerie and oddly skeletal limestone Gorons. Although they live solitary lives and are hard to communicate with, they are master sculptors and their chieftain lives in a marble palace.
      • Biggoron has an entire village living on him
    • Other cultures that live on the mountains:
      • Sparse and spread out dragon roosts, filled with treasure and terrifying dragons.
      • Hylian settlements, with a couple of Hylian-Goron hybrids like Rosso.
      • Mogma treasure hunters, primarily focused on finding rare metals.
      • Yetis much like Yeto and Yeta. I'd add to their culture and such but honestly the ones in Twilight Princess were already perfect.
    • Spectacle rock returning as an entrance to death.
      • Ganon returns to his OG lair
      • Closer to the desert biome to highlight his Gerudo ancestry and the location of Spectacle Rock in Breath of the Wild, though the inside of the lair is more darkness-and-skulls.
      • Army of demons that were encased in the earth's crust. Much like how Demise came to the surface from a fissure in the ground.

Gods writing that out excited me so much. I should do some concept arting. A lot of this was based on Trollhunters lore.
  • Yeah, frankly they would. Not at first though.

The Wind Waker's artstyle, Spirit Tracks' trains, and Breath of the Wild's voice-acting are just some of the features Zelda fans have complained about either over the years leading up to a game's announcement (BotW), or right after it (TWW/ST), but all of these features became perfectly accepted once the game actually came out.

At the end of the day Zelda is an extremely varied series with enough wide-appeal titles like Ocarina of Time to make odder, niche titles like Majora's Mask or Skyward Sword really not that much of an issue to anyone really. Everyone would probably complain about a Zelda game set entirely in a desert, until it actually came out and the Nintendo polish shone through, and then no one would be complaining about it. :fabulous:

The post was edited 1 time, last by Axle the Beast ().

• gamtos wrote:

There is no possible way you could ever write an entire Zelda game centered around just Lake Hylia. Zora's Domain as a focal point might work but again, keeping the entire story contained to just Zora's Domain is impossible.
    Although I agree it would be an odd and probably bad choice, it's totally possible. It's all a question of scale and variety.

Link's Awakening is a small island you can cross in mere minutes, and it actually didn't have that much wide variety in biomes - at least nothing crazy that couldn't believably be near each other. I bet we could find a place that has a forest, a swamp, a beach, a river, some fields, a village, and a mountain (or at least part of one) all within a couple square miles in real life, or all around a single modestly sized lake. Hell, I had half of those biomes on my parent's 8 acre property growing up. The only big stretch in LA was the desert.

Breath of the Wild's world feels enormous, but it's not actually that large. If Fujibayashi is to be believed, it's scale is based off of downtown Kyoto, or some portion of it. (source)
    "What helped me with this was my hometown, Kyoto. I took a map of Kyoto and overlaid it on the game world, and I tried to imagine going to places that I know in Kyoto. I’d think ‘It takes this much time to get from point A to point B, so how does that translate to the game?’ And that’s how we started mapping out the world in Breath of the Wild."

There are plenty of lakes that dwarf the city of Kyoto. If you include the coastal area around them, even moreso. So yeah, you could absolutely make a fine Zelda game that takes place around the coast of Lake Hylia, on islands in lake Hylia, and underneath the waters of the lake.

Now, all that said, it would be a super strange choice, and it would be harder to make a believable and varied world. But definitely possible!
    Pronouns: He/Him

The post was edited 1 time, last by Max N. ().

• gamtos wrote:

Unless you manage to add a complete and varied ecosystem to Death Mountain, no dice. There is no possible way you could ever write an entire Zelda game centered around just Lake Hylia. Zora's Domain as a focal point might work but again, keeping the entire story contained to just Zora's Domain is impossible.

Here's some ideas for how to make Death Mountain work though:
    • Varying biomes. Death Mountain could be more of a collective mountain range that includes mountains like we see in Hebra, Zora's Domain and the Gerudo Highlands.
    • Massive cave systems:
      • Gem-studded crystal caves
      • Chiseled halls dimly lit by glowcrystals / bioluminiscent material / roaring flames.
      • Great underground lakes
      • Dark and eery locations with the occasional skittering of an unseen enemy.
      • Snow-covered peaks with ice caves.
    • Vast Goron settlements
      • Great magma forges.
      • Large, technological mining companies.
      • Distinct Goron designs and cultures.
        • Rare, ancient crystalline Goron deities that possess the magical qualities gems have in Breath of the wild. Somewhat similar to Great Fairies.
        • Smooth river rock Gorons from the lake caves, with polished skin that glow a dim phosphorous blue from the apatite gems that decorates their bodies. They live mostly underwater.
        • Roughly hewn horned Gorons from dark volcanic stone infused with magma. Think Fyrus, but friendlier.
        • Moss covered Gorons from the base of the mountain. Various flowers grow on their bodies, and they can speak with animals.
        • Sandstone Gorons from the desert, thought to be a myth by the Gerudo.
        • Eerie and oddly skeletal limestone Gorons. Although they live solitary lives and are hard to communicate with, they are master sculptors and their chieftain lives in a marble palace.
      • Biggoron has an entire village living on him
    • Other cultures that live on the mountains:
      • Sparse and spread out dragon roosts, filled with treasure and terrifying dragons.
      • Hylian settlements, with a couple of Hylian-Goron hybrids like Rosso.
      • Mogma treasure hunters, primarily focused on finding rare metals.
      • Yetis much like Yeto and Yeta. I'd add to their culture and such but honestly the ones in Twilight Princess were already perfect.
    • Spectacle rock returning as an entrance to death.
      • Ganon returns to his OG lair
      • Closer to the desert biome to highlight his Gerudo ancestry and the location of Spectacle Rock in Breath of the Wild, though the inside of the lair is more darkness-and-skulls.
      • Army of demons that were encased in the earth's crust. Much like how Demise came to the surface from a fissure in the ground.

Gods writing that out excited me so much. I should do some concept arting. A lot of this was based on Trollhunters lore.
    For the case of gorons How about Gorons formed from fossils?