Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    • TV
    Steven Universe!
    • I really want people opinions on Rose and Pink being the same person. I was shook at first but then I thought about it and decided I really like the plot twist. It’s really made her into this morally grey complex character. Like she TRIED to do the right thing, and it’s really indicative of the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

:heart: Rinn “Arwyn” Nailo drawn by Liah :heart:
      Rakshael: if I know one thing about Ruki, it's that she'll prove you wrong just for the sake of saying she did it
      Characters | The Time Lost | The Rumors We Believe | Ruki's Reviews
    • I love Lapis. Like part of me gets frustrated because I really want her to join the Crystal Gems but the other half is relieved it’s taking her forever since she has shit to work out. Like the writing for Steven Universe especially their characters is top notch.

:heart: Rinn “Arwyn” Nailo drawn by Liah :heart:
      Rakshael: if I know one thing about Ruki, it's that she'll prove you wrong just for the sake of saying she did it
      Characters | The Time Lost | The Rumors We Believe | Ruki's Reviews
    • Here's a headcanon; Sapphire met Yellow Diamond sometime in the past, which is why Garnet seemed to recognize her during Message Received.

Also, I have two ideas for the origin story of the Gem race, since due to a certain twitter post by Ian JQ, it's probably never gonna happen.

My first idea is that diamonds form naturally. The gems are artificial beings that were made lesser by the Diamonds.
      My second (and way crazier) idea is that White Diamond is the last of the "original gems", beings who were all like White Diamond, and served an organic species. She also created the gems we see, which I'll call the second gems. She also tried to create beings like herself to help rule, but they were all somewhat off-color, and were not as perfect as her.

The post was edited 1 time, last by twii ().

• Oh heck I am 100% on board.

Been a huge SU fan since day one, I followed Natasha from her work on AT and the AT comics.

Display Spoiler
      Have been on the theory train that PinkD/RoseQ for a while and they had hinted at it before. I understand Pearls involvement and there's a lot of context that makes sense.

I forever have a lot of patience for Lapis, can understand the laat episodes direction with her and this will absolutely not be the last time we see her.
    • (Preface I tried to be as vague and non-spoilery as possible but I feel like every episode of this show is a spoiler in some way so screw it)

Ugh, I absolutely hate Rose after this last episode. I really want Steven to basically just confess for his mother's crimes and then take over the planet. Rose is a dick.

But also I love that they're willing to make a central character this complex hhhnnnnnnngggggggg it's so fucking GOOD

It reminds me of prince zuko's character arc, except it's in reverse. She started out the villain and lived long enough to... become good? :arch: not sure if she actually accomplished any good, though, seems like she mostly just fucked everyone over because she was a whiny princess who coudn't get exactly what she wanted.

And of course now it calls into question whether or not she actually believed in what the crystal gems stood for or just needed an alibi for something more selfish. And usually when orders of secrecy and conspiratorial lies are involved, in my experience, it means the latter.

#foreshadowing
    • Was my absolute favorite show on TV for quite a while (basically ever since I saw "Rose's Scabbard"). It was never entirely perfect, but at least for me, it seemed pretty close, and I was able to tolerate quite a few things that had many other fans grinding their teeth.

Then I saw "A Single Pale Rose," and in pretty much one fell swoop, it forced me to reevaluate my opinion of the entire show and sank my enthusiasm like a stone.

Spoilers for the episode in question below, and a bit of a tirade:

Display Spoiler
      One thing that really gets me about the "Rose is Pink Diamond" twist is that we have never once seen a Gemstone change its orientation while shapeshifting or fusing- quite the opposite, time and time and time again we've been repeatedly shown that these are constants, that a Gem's physical form can change but the Gem itself will not, by virtue of the former being essentially a solidified hologram while the latter is in fact a physical gemstone. An argument can be made that Gems can in fact reorient and reposition their Gemstones by basically "flexing" their physical forms during the shifting, which is presumably how Rose did so- but if that's the case, you need to establish that rule early on, not reveal it at the 11th hour. That's basically hinging a murder mystery on a deus ex machina.

And this just completely ruins the dynamic between Pearl and Rose. Before, Pearl was a servant (presumably of a Diamond, though honestly her exact master means little), who willingly abandoned her life of servitude to follow another Gem, this one a soldier, so that both could be free. She still struggled with being independent, as we saw and heard in "Friend Ship" with the "I'm just a Pearl. I need someone to tell me what to do," moment, but on the whole she was asserting her independence, and loved Rose by virtue of the latter being one of if not the first to show her kindness and respect and help her escape her station. But now? Of course she was in love with and slavishly devoted to Rose, and of course she was struggling to be independent- she was Pink Diamond's Pearl, and Rose was Pink Diamond. She never abandoned her servitude at all, her master was just easygoing and didn't really fuss about their dynamic.

And a lot of people have already pointed out how the placement and color of Pearl's Gem, i.e. white and on her forehead, points pretty strongly toward White Diamond. They even highlighted this in the show by lingering on White Diamond's mural in the moon base in "It Could Have Been Great." Why highlight this commonality, the reinforce it by showing that Blue and Yellow Pearl have their Gems in the same place as their Diamonds... then have her belong to Pink, whose Gem is, well, pink and on her belly? Again, it's throwing an unnecessary twist into the mystery at the last minute, rendering the earlier planting pointless by not providing a payoff.

I can't even go back and rewatch older episodes anymore, because the "twist" involved there ripples backward to recontextualize so many previously wonderful scenes. Case and point, what was once my favorite scene in the series (Pearl's scene near the end of "Rose's Scabbard" with the Rose hologram) and my favorite song in the series ("It's Over, Isn't it?") have both been soured.

I plan to ride the show out to the end- I've invested too much in it for too long to be able to just quit it cold turkey now- but I'm kind of doing it more out of obligation than genuine enthusiasm. I think Star vs the Forces of Evil surpassed SU a long time ago (hence my new avatar).
      Black Velvet Inferno

The post was edited 1 time, last by Setras: Spoiler tags were apparently broken. Oops. ().

• Setras wrote:

One thing that really gets me about the "Rose is Pink Diamond" twist is that we have never once seen a Gemstone change its orientation while shapeshifting or fusing- quite the opposite, time and time and time again we've been repeatedly shown that these are constants, that a Gem's physical form can change but the Gem itself will not, by virtue of the former being essentially a solidified hologram while the latter is in fact a physical gemstone. An argument can be made that Gems can in fact reorient and reposition their Gemstones by basically "flexing" their physical forms during the shifting, which is presumably how Rose did so- but if that's the case, you need to establish that rule early on, not reveal it at the 11th hour. That's basically hinging a murder mystery on a deus ex machina.
      Personally, I'm fine with this. A lot of the show has hinged on Steven not knowing basic things about gem culture and physiology. And they're not dropping this at the end of the show, they're dropping it in the middle. I don't consider it an ex machina because that line of thought could apply to, well, basically any of Steven's abilities that have shown up just in the knick of time in various episodes across the series.

And the more I think about it, the less plot holes I find, which is a weird feeling for a TV show. People were pretty sure Rose was PD even early on in the show for a reason, and all of this obviously fits with that. I think it would've been weirder if the shattering thing had been true, and more out of character for Rose up to this point. But Rose has always been a massive lying selfish douchebag if you look closely, so this kind of deception fits her character.

And this just completely ruins the dynamic between Pearl and Rose. Before, Pearl was a servant (presumably of a Diamond, though honestly her exact master means little), who willingly abandoned her life of servitude to follow another Gem, this one a soldier, so that both could be free. She still struggled with being independent, as we saw and heard in "Friend Ship" with the "I'm just a Pearl. I need someone to tell me what to do," moment, but on the whole she was asserting her independence, and loved Rose by virtue of the latter being one of if not the first to show her kindness and respect and help her escape her station. But now? Of course she was in love with and slavishly devoted to Rose, and of course she was struggling to be independent- she was Pink Diamond's Pearl, and Rose was Pink Diamond. She never abandoned her servitude at all, her master was just easygoing and didn't really fuss about their dynamic.
      While this is definitely true, this new context gets me excited about multiple rewatchings. Pearl isn't the defector, Rose is. This explains why Pearl is so organized and devoted if she's supposedly defective; she isn't. This has been a long-running mystery of the show ("What's so broken about Pearl if all she talks about is organizing and servitude?") and it's nice to see it end up in a logical place. So I don't think this ruins the dynamic of Rose and Pearl at all, if anything it reaffirms what was one of the main pieces of evidence that Rose was a diamond in the first place: Pearl's strange, unwavering loyalty, bordering on obsession, to Rose.

Really, this ruins the dynamic between Rose and everyone except Pearl. The characters have never acted stupid or oblivious, but if Rose managed to keep this under their noses for five thousand years that definitely changes what I thought of their collective perceptiveness. For literally the entirety of the show, we've been under the assumption that all of the Crystal Gems know everything about Steven's past and are keeping it from him. But that wasn't true, and now puts Garnet and Amethyst in with Steven as "clueless children" metaphors. So now it's Steven, Garnet, and Amethyst vs Pearl. I wonder which side will win the direction of the show? Better check that future vision...