Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    In your personal Best Games of All Time list, what’s the outlier?
    • Creiddylad wrote:

Vulpes wrote:

I'll probably always like generation II best. Two areas, time- and day-sensitive events and Pokémon, rematches—it was the most significant iteration on the Pokémon formula ever, and many of the best parts haven't been seen since (barring the remakes).
      Were the parts you liked in gen II things you didn't list because time related events and Pokémon have persisted in every gen thereafter (baring FRLG) and trainer and gym leader rematches have returned in various forms throughout the years, especially in gen IV having the vs. seeker and the villa.
      Time sensitive events are much less extensive in later generations. In generation II, some Pokémon were only out at night, and some events, like the bug-catching contest, only happened on certain days of the week. That stuff has certainly not been in every generation since.
      When the gods drave me forth to toil and assailed me with thirst and beat me down with hunger, then I prayed to the gods. When the gods smote the cities wherein I dwelt, and when Their anger scorched me and Their eyes burned, then did I praise the gods and offer sacrifice. But when I came again to my green land and found that all was gone, and the old mysterious haunts wherein I prayed as a child were gone, and when the gods tore up the dust and even the spider's web from the last remembered nook, then did I curse the gods, speaking it to Their faces, saying:—

"Gods of my prayers! Gods of my sacrifice! because Ye have forgotten the sacred places of my childhood, and they have therefore ceased to be, yet may I not forget. Because Ye have done this thing, Ye shall see cold altars and shall lack both my fear and praise. I shall not wince at Your lightnings, nor be awed when Ye go by."

Time and the Gods
    • Vulpes wrote:

Time sensitive events are much less extensive in later generations. In generation II, some Pokémon were only out at night, and some events, like the bug-catching contest, only happened on certain days of the week. That stuff has certainly not been in every generation since.
      Only the bug catching contest part of that statement is true, though. Outside the bug catching contest, gen II had a few other minor events scattered throughout the week but they were things like watching Clefairys on mt. moon, or being able to get a wild lapras, or riding in the s.s. Anne to battle some trainers again. For the most part, these kinds of events have been implemented in newer generations, they've just been shorted to daily occurances. And if anything newer gens have expanded upon when certain Pokemon appear during what part of the day. I mean Sun and Moon's big focus was the contrast between night and day and you can only catch certain Pokemon depending on the time.
    • I like Luigi's Mansion more than most people. Luigi's Mansion is well-remembered, but mostly as a jeu d'esprit, whereas it's one of the few games I've played through multiple times.
      When the gods drave me forth to toil and assailed me with thirst and beat me down with hunger, then I prayed to the gods. When the gods smote the cities wherein I dwelt, and when Their anger scorched me and Their eyes burned, then did I praise the gods and offer sacrifice. But when I came again to my green land and found that all was gone, and the old mysterious haunts wherein I prayed as a child were gone, and when the gods tore up the dust and even the spider's web from the last remembered nook, then did I curse the gods, speaking it to Their faces, saying:—

"Gods of my prayers! Gods of my sacrifice! because Ye have forgotten the sacred places of my childhood, and they have therefore ceased to be, yet may I not forget. Because Ye have done this thing, Ye shall see cold altars and shall lack both my fear and praise. I shall not wince at Your lightnings, nor be awed when Ye go by."

Time and the Gods
    • The thing that pushes it over the top is the sense of humor in things like the Boo names, portrait ghost descriptions, Madame Clairvoya's séances, and especially Luigi's commentary on things around the mansion. By scanning the right things you can get Luigi's thoughts on everything from animal rights to the inevitability of death.

Time and the Gods
    • Sly Cooper is a game series I remember fondly from the PS2 days. I played through the first, second, and third game multiple times, and nearly 100%'d every game back when I was 11 years old. It was definitely a part of my childhood. Never played the fourth game, though, since by then I had phased out of the series and onto bigger and better things, but I sure did enjoy the original games for PS2.
    • Vulpes wrote:

I like Luigi's Mansion more than most people. Luigi's Mansion is well-remembered, but mostly as a jeu d'esprit, whereas it's one of the few games I've played through multiple times. Maybe it's just because I'm fond of dark stuff, but something about that game is just so charming that I've never gotten tired of it.
      We never got around to buying a memory card after the one we had got corrupted so I've played through that game more times than I can remember. There are very few games I can play through multiple times and not get bored with.

Serenity wrote:

Sly Cooper is a game series I remember fondly from the PS2 days. I played through the first, second, and third game multiple times, and nearly 100%'d every game back when I was 11 years old. It was definitely a part of my childhood. Never played the fourth game, though, since by then I had phased out of the series and onto bigger and better things, but I sure did enjoy the original games for PS2.
      Sly Cooper was the first game I ever finished the story all the way through! My sister and I had a very heated debate after the 3rd game over whether or not there would be another one (which I ended up losing years later, haha). Still haven't gotten around to playing the fourth one either.