Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    In your personal Best Games of All Time list, what’s the outlier?
    • Basically, which game do you rate super highly that you wouldn't expect to find on other people's Top 10 Games of All Time lists, because it wasn't very popular or didn't score particularly well with reviewers?

For me I have a big personal emotional attachment to the PS1 game The Legend of Dragoon. To professional critics it got pretty overshadowed by stuff like Final Fantasy 7 and it looks like it only has a 74 on Metacritic, but I liked it a lot.
    • Of the top of my head any of the wild arms games I’ve played specifically 1 2 3 . Like I hear more people talk about legend of dragoon then those games haha

The suffering. I think reviews are fairly positive back in the day but I never see any one really talk about it. It’s one of my favorite action horror games to this day

Aloha protocol the game is a hot mess but I really love it and think it’s a great rpg

Tomba easily in my top PlayStation games of all time but I seriously doubt most people even considervamong the many juggernauts like tekken 2 or ffvii

Alundra 2 I don’t think I’ve heard any one talk about this game but. I found it challenging and hilarious and full of charm
    • JP the Neurotic wrote:

Aloha protocol the game is a hot mess but I really love it and think it’s a great rpg
      I've heard of Alpha Protocol, and I've heard good things about it, but I think this is the first I've heard of its apparent lesser-known spin-off. :heart:

As for myself... maybe Sparkster for SNES? I rented it like crazy way back when, and was absolutely in love with it. These days I actually own a copy complete with box/etc that I picked up like ten years ago, lol. It's a dreadfully cute game imo.
    • Final Fantasy IX and Chrono Cross.

All FF games could make it here and it's so damn hard to choose, but FF9 is like a collection of all the classic FF games with an awesome story and character development.

People tend to cringe at Chrono Cross saying that Trigger was way better a game, but they're both magnificent to me. Cross wins because of its use of colors and music, the setting, the summer breezy feeling I get when I play it and, most of all, it's complex story that, if you do get it, is a perfect sequel to Chrono Trigger. The unexpected sequel.

Oh yeah, I heard that there are these "Zelda" games, too :B

The post was edited 2 times, last by Tesla ().

• Megaman Zero series in general, everyone and their mother prefers Classic or X for their dose of sidescrolling Megaman. It's not that it's poorly recieved or anything as its reception was for the most part much better than it was for the later half of the X series (and Classic until Capcom completely bet on going back to their roots with Megaman 9), but it's often overlooked enough that I don't expect any of them to show up on anyone's top list, much less when grouped along with cult classic stuff like Megaman 2 or Megaman X1.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Jackos ().

• Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair

I really, really, like this game. It's, mostly, very well written, delightfully stylized, and has an awesome soundtrack.

It's also a visual novel (a genre I'm not huge on), violent (which I'm also not big on), and has a sophomoric sense of humour (really not big on). But the strong voice acting and writing overcome these things. It does so many clever call-backs to the previous game and does wonderful things with analyzing it (there are characters who exist primarily as commentary and contrast to the characters from the previous ones), and its end message is one that resonates quite strongly with me.

May those who accept their fate be granted happiness;

Those who defy it, glory!
    • Radiata Stories is the first one that comes to mind for me. The game didn’t rate all that badly, but it’s not all that popular. I don’t think it was very widely played, but it’s honestly one of the best JRPG’s I’ve ever played.

The battle system was pretty fun but the big draw for me that made this game stand out and be as interesting as it was, was that you could battle basically any NPC if you pissed them off (kicked them), and most of them were recuitable I’d you knew how to do it.
    • Ty. wrote:

Radiata Stories is the first one that comes to mind for me. The game didn’t rate all that badly, but it’s not all that popular. I don’t think it was very widely played, but it’s honestly one of the best JRPG’s I’ve ever played.

The battle system was pretty fun but the big draw for me that made this game stand out and be as interesting as it was, was that you could battle basically any NPC if you pissed them off (kicked them), and most of them were recuitable I’d you knew how to do it.
      Oh my goodness, oh my damn! Another great JRPG that hasn't been released in Europe! Why do you hate us so, Japan? I never even heard of this game. And it's a Square game! :o

I'm going to get me a fat SCPH-50001 (US) PS2 for great PS1 and PS2 games never released in PAL regions, including Chrono Cross and Radiata Stories. It hurts me when I see fine games I can't play cause Square keeps failing Europe for 30 years now. For shame!
    • Chibi-Robo! for the GameCube is a top 10, maybe even top 5 game for me. Unfortunately, none of you heartless bastards bought it, and its lackluster sales, combined with underperforming sequels, means that it may be some time before it gets a proper, worthy successor.

First, let's get the bad out the way: the game has more than a few technical flaws. The text moves slowly and can't be skipped. The graphics are mediocre at best, especially for a late-gen GameCube game. With a few exceptions, the soundtrack is no better than good, although the sound design is fairly creative. And the combat—what little there is of it—is perfunctory and repetitive. And to be honest, the core gameplay mechanics of picking up trash and scrubbing stains don't exactly sound riveting.

Ultimately, though, none of these complaints really matter that much. Because this is a game with personality, a game with charm, a game with character, a game with soul. The cast of characters ranges from a wooden pirate to a deadbeat dad (who means well) to a narcissistic action figure—and all of them have unique mannerisms and personalities. It was a challenge picking out which characters to mention just now—almost all of them are great, and almost all of them would deserve a mention if I didn't want to avoid spoiling the surprises for anyone who might eventually play the game.

The writing is top notch, too, with both poignant moments and hilarious jokes. The plot and sideplots (of which there are many) cover topics such as divorce, poverty, grief, and unrequited love. And it features an AI protagonist whose primary goal is not to save the world or rescue a loved one or get revenge or anything so grandiose—instead, his only aim is to make one troubled suburban family happy.

The sequels, unfortunately, mostly fail to live up to its standards. Chibi-Robo! Park Patrol was decent, maybe even good, but nowhere near the quality of the original. Unfortunately, it abandoned the house-filled-with-characters premise for an urban park setting with fewer characters which play less of a role. Chibi-Robo! Photo Finder is an augmented reality sort of game, although I haven't played it. The most recent Chibi-Robo! game, Chibi-Robo! Zip Lash, thows everything about the original out the window in favor of platforming, although again I haven't played it. The last two games had a mixed reception, for whatever that's worth.

The other sequel, Okaeri! Chibi-Robo! Happy Richie Ōsōji!, stayed closer the spirit of the original, but as you might guess from the title, was never released outside Japan. I'd love for it to get an official release someday.

I'll close with the straight-outta-Kamen-Rider theme song of Drake Redcrest, the aforementioned narcissistic action figure.

When the gods drave me forth to toil and assailed me with thirst and beat me down with hunger, then I prayed to the gods. When the gods smote the cities wherein I dwelt, and when Their anger scorched me and Their eyes burned, then did I praise the gods and offer sacrifice. But when I came again to my green land and found that all was gone, and the old mysterious haunts wherein I prayed as a child were gone, and when the gods tore up the dust and even the spider's web from the last remembered nook, then did I curse the gods, speaking it to Their faces, saying:—

"Gods of my prayers! Gods of my sacrifice! because Ye have forgotten the sacred places of my childhood, and they have therefore ceased to be, yet may I not forget. Because Ye have done this thing, Ye shall see cold altars and shall lack both my fear and praise. I shall not wince at Your lightnings, nor be awed when Ye go by."

Time and the Gods

The post was edited 2 times, last by Vulpes ().

• For me, it's probably the Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver

I know the Legacy of Kain series was fairly popular in its day, but I've seen it talked about less and less since Defiance came out. So nowadays it's become a bit obscure, other than the shortlived Nosgoth MMO.

I love Soul Reaver the most out of the LoK , in part due to the fact it was such a happy accident. A strict time schedule meant that they couldn't make the story near as big as they wanted, however, they had constructed a number of completed areas that were meant to be compatible with the story. So... what did they do with these completed areas?

They kept them in of course! Filled them with all kinds of goodies and challenges. Completely optional, but very rewarding, and atmospherically beautiful. One strong one was the Human Citadel. It contributed pretty much nothing to the plot other than visually showing how far humanity has fallen at that that point. You don't have to go there, it and a sizeable number of areas are completely optional. Also, if you don't attack any humans, the humans at the citadel all worship you like some kind of angel of vengeance, and freely offer their souls to you(provided you don't take the whole soul, then they get pissed again)

And they left several strong visual references to the far less popular first game, LoK: Blood Omen. Like, the remains of Nupraptor's Retreat from Blood Omen can be found in Soul Reaver, another completely optional area(Kain's first dungeon in Blood Omen became a rotting ruin next to the first dungeon Raziel goes through in Soul Reaver, I love it). It had a rather small main story, and a surprisingly big world to explore for the era. The atmosphere of the game was incredible, the soundtrack was really eerie and had some genuinely beautiful music mixxed in with the more ambient sounds. It's probably one of the absolute most bleak post-apocalyptic games out there.

I think the game's weaknesses tended to reside in its somewhat wonky combat system and frustrating platforming. As well as a maddening abundance of block puzzles. It has the smallest story of the games, and all but one of the bosses are pushovers. These flaws could turn away a lot of people, and it was a very difficult game in general.

That said... even some of its many block puzzles were pretty clever, the great writing made up for a rather minimal story, the bosses had really cool and unique designs, and the implementation of the Spectral Realm into the puzzles added not only a creative method of puzzle solving, but also contributed to the amazing atmosphere of this game.

LoZ and LoK were two of my favorite series. Hyrule and Nosgoth felt thematically like two sides of a coin to me. The Nosgoth side is pretty weathered and the Hyrule side is pretty shiny these days, but, I still love both dearly.
    • Hell, yeah! I agree with all of your LoK thoughts!

Right? I always thought that the first Blood Omen is the horror version of ALttP. With lots of text replaced with lots of talking... So much talking in the menus... Oh my, Kain, shut up, dude! I just want to change my weapon, I don't need to hear about it every damn time!

But it was worth it.

And the First Sour Reaver is my favorite in the series. SR2 had so much more story and time travel and all that jazz I live for - but the atmosphere was never as good as it was in the first SR.

Also, you know how the soundtrack adapts to the situation and your position in the level, what you do, etc. Well, I LOVE THAT! There's so much music, the official soundtrack doesn't cover good portions of it.

One good example is this part of the Silenced Cathedral soundtrack. It's not on the OST and I though I was crazy a couple of years ago, looking all over YouTube for it. It took me 20 minutes to find it now for this post, as most Silenced Cathedral uploads don't have that part. It's one of my favorite music/atmosphere moments of the LoK series <3

There was also Blood Omen 2, not sure how that happened.

I mean, you opened Pandora's Box talking about all these great games people!

The post was edited 1 time, last by Tesla ().