Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    Which of the three CD-i Zelda games is your favorite?
    • Even if you've never played any of them, you may have watched all the cutscenes and videos of gameplay. Does any one of the three strike you as being the best?

From all reports, Zelda's Adventure is terribly slow and sounds like it would be annoying to play, so for me it's between Faces of Evil and Wand of Gamelon. Both have hilarious cutscenes, but I think Wand of Gamelon is a little funnier. Plus, you get to play as Zelda!
      A famous explorer once said, that the extraordinary is in what we do, not who we are.

• Easily Wand of Gamelon. That game has a real plot and the setting is actually pretty interesting. I'm planning to write a novelization of that game, some day, eventually. Faces of Evil is kind of dull in comparison. I like the idea of Koridai within the larger setting of Hyrule and the Light World, but for an entire game, it leaves a lot to be desired. Both of them also have some really nice background art.

I couldn't even make it through watching a speedrun of Zelda's Adventure, let alone playing the game or getting invested in it.

Note that I haven't played any of the three.
      Goddess of the Sands

Map of Thyphlo Ruins

Forest Architects

If you have Amiibo Tap: Nintendo's Greatest Bits on Wii U, you can reset which games your amiibo unlock by deleting the game and then redownloading it.
    • Shona wrote:

TruEdge67 wrote:

The only one I both own and have played is Wand of Gamelon, so I guess that one would be my favorite.

Here it is in all it's glory!

It's so cool that you've actually played it! What did you think of it at the time you first played it?
      When I first got the game I was excited to finally be able to play one of the infamous CD-i games. Little did I know that the cutscenes weren't what made these games terrible. They are actually the best part. The real thing that makes these games a frustrating experience is the BS difficulty these games have from poor design. There are no invincibilty frames like in most games so when you come in contact with an enemy it quickly drains your small amount of health and kills you. There are multiple times where the game will throw multiple enemies at you both on the ground and in the air making death pretty much inevitable unless you're lucky. The controls are also awful making the game even more frustrating. The CD-i controller I have is the worst controller I have ever used. It's wireless and you have be sitting right next to the CD-i to actually have the console read your inputs. It's also an odd shape. Here's what my CD-i controller looks like:

Tru Universe|Cat Midna Avatar and Signature by The Twilight Princess. Check out her art thread here!

The post was edited 1 time, last by TruEdge67 ().

• RealmWings wrote:

Why does three fourths of that controller even exist?
      Why does that controller exist at all? It's absolute shit. I hate the fact that the controller I got with the CD-i I ordered off ebay was the abomination above. I wish it came with this one instead: Too bad this controller is both rare and really expensive. Last I checked they were going for around $100.

Tru Universe|Cat Midna Avatar and Signature by The Twilight Princess. Check out her art thread here!

The post was edited 1 time, last by TruEdge67 ().

• When I first heard of Wand of Gamelon and Zelda's Adventure, I was excited by the prospect of *any* game where Zelda was the playable character.

Since seeing online playthroughs however ...

I blame these games for the fact that Zelda hasn't been playable in any of the real games. :argh:

BotW Zelda in her purple Hylian Tunic, by my husband, DarkSilver.

"Breath of the Wild: "Zelda's Redemption" Chapter 3 now up!

After Calamity Ganon's defeat, a devastated Zelda must come to terms with her ruined kingdom, dead friends, and the resentment of the Hero who had saved her, but lost his fiancee. When all hope seems lost, she comes across a legend of a holy relic that can set things right, if she can find the ancient keys to access it. With the help of new friends, and without Link, can Zelda finally become a legend, on her own terms?
    • I have watched the CD-i games, both through videos by the Angry Video Game Nerd and Game Grumps... I have seen enough. The cutscenes are funny, but playing through the games would likely be more boring and tedious than having to transpose the bible into handwriting on toilet paper. I have no desire to pay them, either in this life or somewhere else in the multiverse. In fact - the very idea that I could be sitting down with a CD-i controller in my hand playing these games with @Bill in an alternate reality makes me nauseous.
    • I considered purchasing the games. And then quickly realised you'd be paying hundreds of dollars to play a bunch of meme games, lol.

So never played them. Don't think I ever will tbh (but it's one of those rare cases I might emulate them on a PC sometime). Though I heard Zelda's Adventure was the least-bad of the three. And it's the only one that somewhat looks like a 2D Zelda game (in terms of gameplay). So my pick is Zelda's Adventure...without having played them ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    • There is a precedent for side-scrolling Zeldas in Adventure of Link (and select parts of a few other games). Since the main series decided not to go in that direction, it's kind of interesting to see more games in that style.
      Goddess of the Sands

Map of Thyphlo Ruins

Forest Architects

If you have Amiibo Tap: Nintendo's Greatest Bits on Wii U, you can reset which games your amiibo unlock by deleting the game and then redownloading it.
    • Edit: The Multiquote feature flubbed up for this post. Part of Evran's quote is outside its quotebox as if I wrote it myself.

{Twi} wrote:

I actually thought of an idea a while ago to rework the CDi games into regular 2D Zeldas, and retool the story to be more serious.
      Easily Wand of Gamelon. That game has a real plot and the setting is actually pretty interesting. I'm planning to write a novelization of that game, some day, eventually. Faces of Evil is kind of dull in comparison. I like the idea of Koridai within the larger setting of Hyrule and the Light World, but for an entire game, it leaves a lot to be desired. Both of them also have some really nice background art.

Evran_Speer wrote:

I couldn't even make it through watching a speedrun of Zelda's Adventure, let alone playing the game or getting invested in it.

Note that I haven't played any of the three.
      Twi and Evran, you've got my attention; I had similar ideas for retools or novelizations, but they were just fleeting ideas. Great minds think alike, I suppose. It's my personal belief that something questionable in the Zelda franchise and lore can be reworked into something that's actually good and suits the series.

For example, take the plot of the Nintendo Power comic. While there are some pieces of the comic that are more cheesy and cartoon-esque, for the most part, the comic has an actual story arc. The basic plot of this story arc was taken by Pure ZC member Mitsukara and worked into a quest for Zelda Classic. You've probably seen me babble about this before, but it's all for good reason. This wasn't just your average run-of-the-mill quest for ZC that feels more like a rom hack. This game had backbone. While the story was told in a minimal fashion and the basic plot of the comic was used, the sheer amount of effort put into this semi-adaptation of the comic was tremendous! New team gameplay elements, a balance of Zelda I and II styled gameplay (and the ZII gameplay feels a lot more natural!), plus integration of your mouse (acting as the SNES mouse) for some gameplay elements, using Sprite from the cartoon to cure bubble curses and the like! AND, on top of it all, you have TWO overworldsto explore, and they're huge! Playing through Calatia and North Hyrule was a blast. Though there was a third planned that was scrapped, and you can't really fully explore the puny ZI hyrule in it (only small sections). It felt like a true Zelda game to me. I highly recommend it to anyone looking to get another Zelda fix.

I will admit though there are some non-Zelda elements in this. Often the music is recycled from other games (there's a lot of non-Zelda music in this, i.e. Calatia's overworld theme is from Legacy of the Wizard, though the music still fits, doesn't feel TOO out of place), and there's a silly post game area you unlock that's just there for laughs), but overall, it feels very much like an actual entry in the franchise. And if someone could take the comic plot and make it a game, I've got no doubt there are others willing to do the same or other kinds of reworks for the other terrible things in the franchise too.

Sig by A Link Between Hearts

The post was edited 1 time, last by Okami Takahashi ().