Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    I remember ZU when...
    • Dan! Glad to see you're still alive. So I once hung out with a woman named Robin at E3 who was from your site. Either mod or staff, unsure which. I think she got in with press badge from GT. You to know who I'm talking about, or what her username might have been?

Don Carlos wrote:

-When changing your name wasn't such a common thing
      It used to require super mod powers. You had to request it. We didn't grant the requests frivolously.
      Pronouns: He/Him

The post was edited 1 time, last by Max N. ().

• RealmWings wrote:

Just out of curiosity, did anyone here come from ZD?
      I always wondered myself. I have bump into some ZU members at ZD but not the other way around.

Ganon_GT wrote:

Hey everyone this is Dan/Ganon from Ganon's Tower. Hoju told me about this thread, I'm surprised how many people still remember GT with it being offline for almost 10 years now. I started the site back in high school as an excuse to learn HTML. I didn't want to do a boring personal page with pictures of my pets that nobody outside of friends and family cares about and at the time there was a lot of hype leading up to the release of Ocarina of Time so I spent more time than I care to admit browsing Zelda sites and decided to create my own. Who would have known it would have lasted as long as it did and people would remember it 10 years after it went offline.

It was a fun 10 years or so but as what usually happens as I got older my career took off, I got more hobbies, and I didn't have enough time to pursue everything I wanted to and keep updating the site with the quality standards I had set for myself and the day to day updates and game guides started to become more of a chore than the fun it used to be, so eventually it was time to shut it down. I kinda wish I had held on to the domain and kept it up as an archive, but it's too late for that now.

As for me I'm still playing games on every platform. Really enjoyed Breath of the Wild, it's the best Zelda game in a long time, if not ever. Bought a house, got into bodybuilding and house projects after GT so that's been taking up a lot of my time.
      Hey Ganon!

I remember back in the days Ganon's Tower forums seemed very easy going. The forums seemed edgy to me as a kid because members were free to curse if my memory serves. haha back then I believe profanity was prohibited here in ZU and other zelda forums.

It's great to see you posting in this thread!
    • Ganon_GT wrote:

Hey everyone this is Dan/Ganon from Ganon's Tower. Hoju told me about this thread, I'm surprised how many people still remember GT with it being offline for almost 10 years now. I started the site back in high school as an excuse to learn HTML. I didn't want to do a boring personal page with pictures of my pets that nobody outside of friends and family cares about and at the time there was a lot of hype leading up to the release of Ocarina of Time so I spent more time than I care to admit browsing Zelda sites and decided to create my own. Who would have known it would have lasted as long as it did and people would remember it 10 years after it went offline.

It was a fun 10 years or so but as what usually happens as I got older my career took off, I got more hobbies, and I didn't have enough time to pursue everything I wanted to and keep updating the site with the quality standards I had set for myself and the day to day updates and game guides started to become more of a chore than the fun it used to be, so eventually it was time to shut it down. I kinda wish I had held on to the domain and kept it up as an archive, but it's too late for that now.

As for me I'm still playing games on every platform. Really enjoyed Breath of the Wild, it's the best Zelda game in a long time, if not ever. Bought a house, got into bodybuilding and house projects after GT so that's been taking up a lot of my time.
      Hey Dan!

It's officially a crazy reunion in here.
    • lord-of-shadow wrote:

Dan! Glad to see you're still alive. So I once hung out with a woman named Robin at E3 who was from your site. Either mod or staff, unsure which. I think she got in with press badge from GT. You to know who I'm talking about, or what her username might have been?

Don Carlos wrote:

-When changing your name wasn't such a common thing
      It used to require super mod powers. You had to request it. We didn't grant the requests frivolously.

I do, I think her username was super cat or something like that. She was a mod. I couldn't go because of work if memory serves me right and she could so I figured I wouldn't let the pass go to waste.
    • Since I joined, ZU was always fairly lax with cursing unless it was like cursing just to be edgy. ZU has often been referred to as a dating site, which is a pretty accurate description. Years ago, the forum was more loose with perviness, but enough people had a problem with it that ZU changed its moderation on perverted posts and stuff, and tbh it is kind of for the better. I keep my adult talk in unofficial discord chats. The fact that ZU marriages was a thing honestly doesn't surprise me lol

I tried getting Tabby on here, but he's really really reluctant. I don't want to be too persistent lol but I'm friends on Facebook with several people who don't go on here anymore, like Nesi and nostril.
    • Good luck contacting my (fourth) internet foster father. Eric has either failed to see my attempts to contact him thus far, or has been ignoring them, though I haven't tried using his professional email(s). Seems unsavory.

I applied to inXile last year when I was laid off from EA, but I didn't know he had been working there.

In any case, I've moved on, and...

///

What? Me? Crying tears of pride? Hahaha.. could not... possibly.. I... only had something in my eye.
    • Lozzie wrote:

HeroOfTime5 wrote:

Has anyone heard from @BigGoronSword ? or @TSA?
      Funny enough, I actually hung out with BGS within the last couple of years IRL. He got two tickets to the Zelda Symphony in Boston and he had no one to go with. So, I bought his ticket off him and we went. It was a lot of fun catching up with him and he is doing good last I knew.
      Also, holy crap, nostalgia overload in this thread. So many of the older ZUers I am friends with on Facebook and even have sent and received gifts from them as well. It is amazing this place is still thriving after so long and that I was around during its earliest years.
      Lozzie! It was nice seeing you again. I'm not sure if you remember me but you were a mod back when I started. Thanks for putting up with me being a noob.

It's good to hear BGS is doing well. He was one of the most soft spoken members around him.

Serenity wrote:

Since I joined, ZU was always fairly lax with cursing unless it was like cursing just to be edgy. ZU has often been referred to as a dating site, which is a pretty accurate description. Years ago, the forum was more loose with perviness, but enough people had a problem with it that ZU changed its moderation on perverted posts and stuff, and tbh it is kind of for the better. I keep my adult talk in unofficial discord chats. The fact that ZU marriages was a thing honestly doesn't surprise me lol

I tried getting Tabby on here, but he's really really reluctant. I don't want to be too persistent lol but I'm friends on Facebook with several people who don't go on here anymore, like Nesi and nostril.
      I started early 2005 but I shadowed this place as a guest in 2004. Things were a bit more strict back then in that regard. I believed things got more lax when you started. I do remember cursing was always allowed in the discord chats at least to my knowledge.

Anyone keeps in contact with Davogones or Khuffle? I know Davogones still updates zelda legends once in a while. I'm not sure if either of them posted here. I remember back then many members here use to reference articles and game guides written by davogones. In fact, I think for one of the zelda games one of the guides written by davogones is still at the top.
    • I keep in light contact with both Davogones and Khuffie. I don't think either of them have ever posted here though.

Davogones founded Zelda Legends. Khuffie founded, uh, Legends of Zelda. Zelda Legends had great content: text dumps, image galleries, etc. Strong focus on Zelda's worldbuilding and narrative stuff. I think it was the first site that had any serious discussion about canonicity, for example - Davogones' editorials introduced me to the concept of canon. Legends of Zelda had a more thriving community. Match made in heaven. They kept "Zelda Legends" as the name. Anyways, that was about the same time I joined Zelda Legends' staff. I worked with Khuffie and Davogones for years before they both stepped back and let me run the site.

Davogones is a dad now, and I believe a software engineer of some sort. He's pretty busy. Doesn't seem to spend much time in online social situations in any form. Khuffie fucking LOVES his cat Marvin, and has for almost the entire time I've known him. That cat's getting old now. I know more about Marvin's life than Khuffie's, hah.

Khuffie still hosts ZL. I did contact them both recently to make sure they knew that if they ever started to feel like they didn't want to host and support ZL anymore, to sell or give it to me and I'd enshrine it forever. Not the first time I've told them. It's built on a CMS that's some modified forum software from a million years ago, but most of the content is static, so I'd likely just convert it to a static site. David always replies that he wants to revive the site in some form, so maybe he'll get around to that some day.
      Pronouns: He/Him

The post was edited 6 times, last by Max N. ().

• ^ As a note about reaching the whole 1,000 posts, it meant a lot more back then too because threads just seemed to move slower. It was easier to keep up with. Took me a super long time to reach the milestone too.

I miss BGS. Does anyone else remember how he would sometimes refer to sadida as 'sexy sadida? lol! >.< Bless that man's heart!

Ganon_GT wrote:

Seems like you're doing well for yourself, I have to mention that you have a sweet ride. Its nice to see a fan of the 'stang. I'll be shopping for a 2011-12 grabber blue model that has the neo-retro appearance and mod it a bit. The new ones look great, but a little too sports car-ish to me.

lord-of-shadow wrote:

Yes, nowadays, its harder to keep track of whos who.

That's so awesome that you work for Bungie (and SearanoX in inXile)! I remember watching the halo 2 and 3 behind the scenes and how chill of an environment it seemed. What a great success story. Is it still the same? Was it everything you were expecting/hoping?

I always thought your name was one of the coolest btw. Along with the Half-a-Bee and ye OldBeane.
    • Don Carlos wrote:

I always thought your name was one of the coolest btw. Along with the Half-a-Bee and ye OldBeane.
      Hahah, thanks! That's actually hilarious to me - I really don't like this screenname anymore. It was some super edgelord thing I came up with when I was 12, for my battle.net account for Warcraft 2. I keep it because I'm still recognized primarily as lord-of-shadow in the online Zelda community, and I think that's pretty important. These days, outside the Zelda community, I go by Rivulet when I can get it, Vesuvium when I can't.

As for the Bungie thing: rather than derail this thread, I made a new one:
      L-O-S's time in the game industry and at Bungie
    • @Malia - dawwwwwwwwwwwww! :3333 I'm so glad you and Mike are officially so lovey-dovey now, and that you and Brandon are still rocking a freakin' awesome friendship. :333 Y'all deserved the best, and I'm glad everyone found people that make them happy. :33 (also, if you weren't a billion miles away and if you and Mike happen(ed) to be in an open-style relationship, I would be ALL OVER that crush because you're 100% :fabulous: - AND DON'T YOU EVER FORGET IT!)

@lord-of-shadow, I knew you were in NH, but obviously not where beyond that. And haha, I went to high school in downtown Boston and had an MBTA pass and a mom who couldn't keep a rein on me, so mini ZU meetups happened decently often. I don't think we ever overlapped in Boston proper, but you'd know better than I would. While I was in Boston (until early 2007), I had met up with Frodo, Zaius, Lozzie, BGS, Hind, Matt991, and Capn, and I'm sure there's a name or two I'm forgetting in there. Not to mention the meetups I had in SoCal (2007-2012) and Austin (2012-present). Seems like a lot of dude's hopes to get to engage in rampant pre-tinder internet sex were wasted on my super demisexual, autistic, polyamorous, incredibly oblivious, mostly gay butt. So oops, sorry everyone, but odds are I missed *everything* at the time and if I had somehow miraculously caught on I would have just given you my usual response to being confessed to, which is "uh, ok, thanks...?". Consider this a site-wide apology for me, in any way, shape, or form being a garbage human because I had/have no idea how human relationships and social interactions are actually supposed to work.

@Captain Cornflake, Oh yeah! I remember somebody finding out about Zephka, then them telling you, and then you telling me. But I'm almost 100% sure that was IRL, so I obviously don't have logs I can dig through to remember what the heck happened, and you know my memory's hot garbage on even the best of days. I wanna say it had something to do with web writing/editorial work, but I could say the same thing about so many people from here. Let me know if you think of something or want to puzzle it out or just shoot the sh*t or whatever (PM and farore discord are both just fine), because this is going to bug me to no end. XD

@Lars - LARRRRRRRRRRRSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!! It's good to see you up and about on this thread, and I hope you and the missus are doing well. You two seem wonderful and deserve all the best!! Thanks for making such a fun corner of the internet for me and so many others to hang out in. Goodness knows my life (and many other people's, no doubt) would have been a *lot* more uneventful and most likely boring as can be if you hadn't thrown this place together and invited other humans to hang out here. <3

@Lozzie and @BigGoronSword - You two were the best bros back long ago! I still have a ton of pictures saved on an old photobucket of y'all snuggling the crap out of a muffin! I'm glad the IRL meetups are still happening to this day. :333 And I'm assuming Lozzie and the missus and that adorable girl are still doing quite well, so yaaaaaaaaaaaayy!!! :D

@Prof. Fish - OH SHI- IT'S YOU HI! Wow, this thread is turning up the most awesome people. XD And yes, everyone's favorite Easy Target still owns the place, but there's no reason to be antisemitic about it, y'kno? ;3

@lame jordan @lame jordan @lame jordan DON'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO I TAG WHO I WANT @lame jordan @lame jordan @lame jordan

Also, HIIIIIIIIIII, @John and @Panique and @'F3' and @Cody and @ich Will!!! <3 <3 <3 And hi to so many others! I'd be @-ing more people, but somewhere along the line we lost the only feature that made it possible for oldbies to easily identify people they know around this joint, so I'm sure there are plenty of ZUers posting in and around here who I should know but don't. Any omissions in here is 100% unintentional. You know I think you're all the best, even if my memory isn't. ;3

Also goshdarn, this topic got long between now and my last post! Hot diggity sh*t, this is a baller thread. I greatly appreciate seeing so many people in here who are just complete blasts from the past, reading the thread so far and checking the place out after so long has definitely been Good Times so far. This place clearly belongs to a new generation of lost kiddos nowadays, but I'll always have a special fondness and nigh-unlimited appreciation for it. I hope all the younglings here get to experience the same sort of feelings someday, and that they get to rock out and develop some amazingly fantastic relationships in this peculiar little sliver of the internet. :pope:
    • HeroOfTime5 wrote:

I remember ZU when each member had their member number next to their name. For example, Lars was number 1.
      I'm pretty sure he was #4? I remember asking him about it ages ago and he said that the first few users were tests for the system (although I may be misremembering it, with it being the first few after him being tests)

HeroOfTime5 wrote:

I think one of their big hacks happened in summer of 2007.
      July, specifically. I joined just before one of those hacks, then had to rejoin a couple of days later because the backups were weekly. (Oh boy, backup frequency is a fun topic...)

Breeze wrote:

THIS IS SO FUN GUYS.

Anyone remember that Big Piece of Paper that never made its way around the globe?
      Yup! I had it briefly, and I'm pretty sure Cody was the last person to have it (it got sent to him in Singapore, and arrived super late, after he had already left to come back to Australia. Or so he told me.

Also: Hi! These ancients keep talking about prehistory, but I think well of the 2007-2010 period when we and a bunch of others were active. (Of course, I'm still semi-active now. I took a year-long break last year, but I've otherwise been keeping up with the place.)

SacredSturgeon wrote:

(making that terrible pun was honestly my main reason for posting in this thread)
      If you hadn't, I would have.

Saber wrote:

I just don't know how tagging usernames works on this stupid board.
      Just type what you see written: @Saber if the name has a space, put apostrophes around it: @ 'This is not a name' (but without the space between the @ and the ')

Don Carlos wrote:

-When super moderators had the cool purple banner
      I miss that. ;____;

I miss the rank in general, really. I was the last Super Mod, and was much more suited to it than to the Admin rank I went to afterward.
    • That was you yourself, ich. :mastahsword:

ich Will wrote:

I remember this one guy called 'William Zelda4ever'...a real n00bzorz.

Staff Board aka Mount Doom, how can I forget?

Vulpes wrote:

Speaking of publishing articles, there was a very brief period of time when I was a ZU staff writer. I mostly stopped because my status was lost due to some server mishap or another and I never got around to asking for it to be reinstated. Now the interesting thing is that as a staff member, I was able to see the staff boards—until I was banned from them without ever even posting in them because just the thought of me being able to see them made someone so uncomfortable they complained to Liah about it.
    • You meant notsil, correct?

Serenity wrote:

Since I joined, ZU was always fairly lax with cursing unless it was like cursing just to be edgy. ZU has often been referred to as a dating site, which is a pretty accurate description. Years ago, the forum was more loose with perviness, but enough people had a problem with it that ZU changed its moderation on perverted posts and stuff, and tbh it is kind of for the better. I keep my adult talk in unofficial discord chats. The fact that ZU marriages was a thing honestly doesn't surprise me lol

• >:3 wrote:

You meant notsil, correct?

Serenity wrote:

It was/is a nickname. (Although I imagine that coming from the wrong people, it would be considered rude due to overfamiliarity.)

• Don Carlos wrote:

Ganon_GT wrote:

Seems like you're doing well for yourself, I have to mention that you have a sweet ride. Its nice to see a fan of the 'stang. I'll be shopping for a 2011-12 grabber blue model that has the neo-retro appearance and mod it a bit. The new ones look great, but a little too sports car-ish to me.
      Yeah life after GT has been great. The 'stang is a 2016 5.0 with performance pack (manual transmission of course) and I replaced the mufflers with straight pipes so it has a great sound especially when I get on it. You'll like the 11-12. I never had that body style but I had an 05 which was the same platform and the older retro body and I liked it so much that I kept that one for ~10 years.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Ganon_GT ().