Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    I remember ZU when...
    • F3 wrote:

andi wrote:

As for sear, he hasn't been around the Zelda community for ages. He was on the oldbie discord when I left it in 2012/2013, and gone when I came back in 2015. Last I heard, he was running his own game development studio. Last I heard from Asci, he was running the family business, and I saw him around here in like 2017 or so. Yami was kicking on Facebook until like 2016, doing photography and writing articles professionally, but I haven't seen any of him since. Liah's still around, she's on discord occasionally and she and Mike are still active on here as @Malia and @Avalanchemike . I'm sure people who have been more active than me lately will have more information for you, but I'm a bit lacking in those departments. ;3
      Ah, too bad. I'd love to know what his studio is working on. I think I vaguely remember talking about photography with Yami. It'd be nice to catch up with those guys.
      Sear works at inXile entertainment, which is cool because he used to always talk about the CRPGs made by Black Isle studios (like the D&D stuff and Fallout) and inXile is essentially the spiritual successor of Black Isle with some of the same designers behind it.

Pretty funny because I don't actually know Sear personally, I just randomly found him on the inXile forum because I was looking for info on Wasteland 2 which I donated to on Kickstarter.
    • Archdeco wrote:

I feel like "it's the nature of things" is a bit of a cop-out. It couldn't have been stopped, and I'm ultimately fine with the way things have turned out, but what ended us wasn't the ravages of age or the changing tides, it was the actions of people. The truth won't change anything but that doesn't make it not the truth.
      We had a good run though. A damn good run. I'd write a book if I thought anyone would read it.
      But the ebbing and flowing of community groups is what keeps them new, like a pant, regenerating, continuing. We all must pay a price. To be safe, we lose our chance of ever knowing
      what's around the river bend.
    • One feature ZU used to have is a forum for discussing the articles posted on the main site. I understand why it's been abandoned—the activity was highly variable, with some threads attracting a lot of attention, but most getting no posts—but I kind of miss it. With ZU's recent consolidation I doubt it will come back any time soon, but I thought that it deserved to be remembered.
      When the gods drave me forth to toil and assailed me with thirst and beat me down with hunger, then I prayed to the gods. When the gods smote the cities wherein I dwelt, and when Their anger scorched me and Their eyes burned, then did I praise the gods and offer sacrifice. But when I came again to my green land and found that all was gone, and the old mysterious haunts wherein I prayed as a child were gone, and when the gods tore up the dust and even the spider's web from the last remembered nook, then did I curse the gods, speaking it to Their faces, saying:—

"Gods of my prayers! Gods of my sacrifice! because Ye have forgotten the sacred places of my childhood, and they have therefore ceased to be, yet may I not forget. Because Ye have done this thing, Ye shall see cold altars and shall lack both my fear and praise. I shall not wince at Your lightnings, nor be awed when Ye go by."

Time and the Gods
    • Pietro wrote:

Sear works at inXile entertainment, which is cool because he used to always talk about the CRPGs made by Black Isle studios (like the D&D stuff and Fallout) and inXile is essentially the spiritual successor of Black Isle with some of the same designers behind it.
      Fuck yeah! I'm gonna seek him out and see how he's doing. Gotta do some *professional networking*! Anybody remember his last name? Was it Schwarz? Or did you catch what his job title was Pietro? Trying to find him in the credits of their recent games, but all I've got to go on is "eric", hah.
      mobygames.com/game/windows/torment-tides-of-numenera/credits

By the way, somebody in here asked if they could ask about working on Destiny. The answer is yes, a LITTLE... but probably not in this thread, that gets a bit off-topic. Feel free to start another or PM me! (also I can't find the question anymore, so I don't recall who it was who asked)
      Pronouns: He/Him

The post was edited 2 times, last by Max N. ().

• lord-of-shadow wrote:

Pietro wrote:

Fuck yeah! I'm gonna seek him out and see how he's doing. Gotta do some *professional networking*! Anybody remember his last name? Was it Schwarz? Or did you catch what his job title was Pietro? Trying to find him in the credits of their recent games, but all I've got to go on is "eric", hah.mobygames.com/game/windows/torment-tides-of-numenera/credits

By the way, somebody in here asked if they could ask about working on Destiny. The answer is yes, a LITTLE... but probably not in this thread, that gets a bit off-topic. Feel free to start another or PM me! (also I can't find the question anymore, so I don't recall who it was who asked)
      Yeah, he's Eric Schwarz. So I guess he's a Designer judging by that page.
    • Would just like to mention that I fanboyed hard over all you oldies coming back to post. I tried to limit my likes!

-I remember the "hate wave" still going strong for Wind Waker because of the the cel-shaded graphics. My first post was to bash the game. Then I played it.

-When super moderators had the cool purple banner

-When I confused BGS and BBD for the same person because of their goron-related sigs. I think it was them.

- Playing xbox live Halo with a lot of my best buds on here including @lame jordan, @Administrator Breen, @Solink, @Trash, ( @Sailboat ? ) and a lot of others, I cant remember the rest.

-When the whole signature shop section was mostly dominated by V99

- @One Punch Tott creepy/cute avatar.

-When Serious Discussion was mostly active with evolution/creationism and how @John would go freakin beast mode in those threads

- When the serious discussion was basically @Flames of Valor versus everyone else haha

-When changing your name wasn't such a common thing

- @SacredSturgeon and @Tiroth going at it and teasing each other for clan supremacy. The pink fluffy dragon did not prevail!

- A parody religious group based on Lando Calrissian called "Calrissianism" created by Sailboat.

The post was edited 4 times, last by Don Carlos ().

Post by Prof. Fish ().

This post was deleted by Ty.: Let’s maybe just not on this one. Haha. ().
    • HeroOfTime5 wrote:

Has anyone heard from @BigGoronSword ? or @TSA?
      I missed this comment before. After leaving The Hylia, TSA worked at Game Trailers basically until they shut down. I met up with him (for the first time) at PAX South 2015. He hosted a Game Trailers panel at the show. He informed me that he was moving to my area (Dallas), and he we ended up hanging out a few times and going to see some movies. But before 2015 was over, he had moved back west somewhere, and I have not seen him since.

However, I did talk to him last year. He is working with a group called Easy Allies. He invited Jason and me to talk about Zelda Universe - and specifically, Zelda Maps - on his podcast shortly after Breath of the Wild was released.

Now that I think about it, we actually spent a few minutes talking about the old days during the podcast. Jason somehow had no idea that I had been around so long.
      Joshua, Zelda Universe Content Director

How can I make Zelda Universe better for you? Let me know!

Follow me on Twitter: @WatcherJoshua
    • Hey everyone this is Dan/Ganon from Ganon's Tower. Hoju told me about this thread, I'm surprised how many people still remember GT with it being offline for almost 10 years now. I started the site back in high school as an excuse to learn HTML. I didn't want to do a boring personal page with pictures of my pets that nobody outside of friends and family cares about and at the time there was a lot of hype leading up to the release of Ocarina of Time so I spent more time than I care to admit browsing Zelda sites and decided to create my own. Who would have known it would have lasted as long as it did and people would remember it 10 years after it went offline.

It was a fun 10 years or so but as what usually happens as I got older my career took off, I got more hobbies, and I didn't have enough time to pursue everything I wanted to and keep updating the site with the quality standards I had set for myself and the day to day updates and game guides started to become more of a chore than the fun it used to be, so eventually it was time to shut it down. I kinda wish I had held on to the domain and kept it up as an archive, but it's too late for that now.

As for me I'm still playing games on every platform. Really enjoyed Breath of the Wild, it's the best Zelda game in a long time, if not ever. Bought a house, got into bodybuilding and house projects after GT so that's been taking up a lot of my time.