Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    I remember ZU when...
    • Archdeco wrote:

People rise to leadership because they're the most invested in the community. As for relationships... I only know of one actual marriage that involves my neck of the zelda woods. But there was a decent amount of heavy petting.

Didn't TSA's speedruns get disqualified for him being a big cheaty cheat? Gannon-banned indeed.
      Indeed. I apologize if my previous post appears to make that implication. What I meant was I imagine being in high positions can also expose one to more zelda fans

I did some brief digging and this is what I found:

forum.speeddemosarchive.com/po…s_runs_from_the_site.html

I don't know much about speed running but the accusations are that he passed off segmented runs as single-segment.

I remember he use to post here and got a lot of attention whenever he submitted a new speedrun.
    • hyrule.com.ar refugees represent! everyone else get off my lawn

---

Exploding Deku Nut vanished years ago now.

Joshua wrote:

So, here's an old tool that will mostly be familiar to others who ran little Zelda websites. Who remembers Cute News? http://cutephp.com/http://cutephp.com/

It appears to still be under active development.
      I'm a little horrified.

---

I suppose I could go over some history myself...

Old as hell member from HTLOZ, HCA, GT, LA. HTLOZ and HCA were definitely the places I was most active in as a kid. ZU was one of the later forums I joined. For a while I would dip in and out of most active forums around the community. Used to run into l-o-s in every corner.

13 years ago I led an exodus from a dying HTLOZ refuge to make a new HTLOZ. That was a terrible idea, don't do that. If there's one thing I'll never regret, though, it's the core group of us that still keep in touch--almost daily.

At some point I reconnected with the folks from Khakain (The Odyssey of Hyrule community in uh, self-imposed exodus?). Also joined up with Capn's crew. I went on to actually meet Capn in Florida a long time ago.

Did some website work for Dan (GT), ZREO, and TSA at various points. All of it was forgettable, except for ZREO, I think.

I was a Stone Watcher, if the logo didn't give that away.

When things slowed down elsewhere, I think this became the place I was most active in. After a while I went off the deep end into photography and faded out of all this Zelda community stuff. It probably doesn't help that the last game I played was Majora's Mask.

I was an administrator for one day here, I think it was to help Jason with a CSS thing in vB. After that, I had access to all the clans, for no real reason. Someone finally noticed and fixed it. I think it was Cody. :v:

I used to hang out in the IRC channel a lot. That's really cringey to type out today, by the way. I remember sear, is he not around anymore?

For that matter, where's asci? Yami? Liah? I see andi's still around... I may need a spreadsheet for name changes.
    • F3 wrote:

hyrule.com.ar refugees represent! everyone else get off my lawn

---

Exploding Deku Nut vanished years ago now.

Joshua wrote:

So, here's an old tool that will mostly be familiar to others who ran little Zelda websites. Who remembers Cute News? http://cutephp.com/http://cutephp.com/

It appears to still be under active development.
      I'm a little horrified.
      ---

I suppose I could go over some history myself...

Old as hell member from HTLOZ, HCA, GT, LA. HTLOZ and HCA were definitely the places I was most active in as a kid. ZU was one of the later forums I joined. For a while I would dip in and out of most active forums around the community. Used to run into l-o-s in every corner.

13 years ago I led an exodus from a dying HTLOZ refuge to make a new HTLOZ. That was a terrible idea, don't do that. If there's one thing I'll never regret, though, it's the core group of us that still keep in touch--almost daily.

At some point I reconnected with the folks from Khakain (The Odyssey of Hyrule community in uh, self-imposed exodus?). Also joined up with Capn's crew. I went on to actually meet Capn in Florida a long time ago.

Did some website work for Dan (GT), ZREO, and TSA at various points. All of it was forgettable, except for ZREO, I think.

I was a Stone Watcher, if the logo didn't give that away.

When things slowed down elsewhere, I think this became the place I was most active in. After a while I went off the deep end into photography and faded out of all this Zelda community stuff. It probably doesn't help that the last game I played was Majora's Mask.

I was an administrator for one day here, I think it was to help Jason with a CSS thing in vB. After that, I had access to all the clans, for no real reason. Someone finally noticed and fixed it. I think it was Cody. :v:

I used to hang out in the IRC channel a lot. That's really cringey to type out today, by the way. I remember sear, is he not around anymore?

For that matter, where's asci? Yami? Liah? I see andi's still around... I may need a spreadsheet for name changes.
      Were you Fury Three by any chance? And did you go by a name like Superunknown on xbox live?
      If that's you, I think you, me, my wife and Dan all played a coop match of Halo 3 many years ago.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Hoju ().

• F3 wrote:

SearanoX/Sear/Eric/Eribear hasn’t logged in for years. Asci is around Facebook mostly, same with Yami. Liah is the Malia who’s been posting in this thread.
    • Depending on people's definitions of "community members" (long-term members meeting up vs. one longer-term member dating a shorter-term member vs. a member dragging their SO into the community, etc., etc.), I know of at least 8-12 marriages (one being mine) and at least 4 divorces (one for me, and I give my ex - wherever he may be - my most sincere blessing), at least 2 kids (one of those being my awesome 8-year-old crotchfruit) with ?at least 1 kid pending depending on your definitions?, with dozens of IRL relationships of different degrees of seriousness, different lengths of time, and different MPAA ratings levels. Not to even speak of the GAZILLIONS of online crushes and relationships from people of all different ages that never ended up making the leap to the fleshsphere.

I've got plenty of info on the personal and dramatic histories of various members of the Zelda community from billions of years ago - mostly from ZU and my fanfic trawling zones. Unfortunately for y'all, the best way for a person to be able to gather up plenty of tea throughout the years is by *not spilling it everywhere*. ;3 So if anyone has some inexplicable desire for John Q. Public to know about the ZU dinosaurs' myriad dramatic escapades, too bad wah wah stinks to be you.

Though, speaking of tea that's mine to spill - L-o-S! I didn't know you had LIKED me way back then! You always seemed so composed on different matters, I assumed most of that various sort of low-life activity never impacted your elevated frotal cortext. Heck, I had basically assumed you were some sort of Isaac-Newton-style ace until you got married! And don't feel bad about banning that kid - if it's the one I'm thinking of (that TAU-er who was in his senior year of uni or something who had some kind of stormtrooper avatar), he MORE THAN deserved it. 15 year old me was ecstatic afterwards - he had spent more than a month straight harassing me on IRC/PM and saying he was going to try and find me at my high school because I turned down his plans to "meet up for lunch or dinner" while he was "in town for a grad school interview" after he decided we should definitely "hang out in his hotel room afterwards". After you banned him, I was legitimately pissed that you weren't giving out too much IRL information aside from your state because, had you been accessible by train, you would have ended up with a heck of a mountain of sugar-free baked goods. :D

And oh shiiiiii-, TSA's finally no longer the be-all-and-end-all of Zelda speedrun history? You won't hear any complaints about that from me. :D

As for sear, he hasn't been around the Zelda community for ages. He was on the oldbie discord when I left it in 2012/2013, and gone when I came back in 2015. Last I heard, he was running his own game development studio. Last I heard from Asci, he was running the family business, and I saw him around here in like 2017 or so. Yami was kicking on Facebook until like 2016, doing photography and writing articles professionally, but I haven't seen any of him since. Liah's still around, she's on discord occasionally and she and Mike are still active on here as @Malia and @Avalanchemike . I'm sure people who have been more active than me lately will have more information for you, but I'm a bit lacking in those departments. ;3

[Also, just for the record, I had to go back *so many* different times and edit out all of the swears I put into this darn post originally, so let me know if I missed any. I'm never on here or other PG sites unless someone like L-o-S summons me for stuff like this, and I rarely do more thank lurk and drop likes on Facebook (I'm single-mom-ing, working full time, and finishing up my bachelor's - I'm not exactly drowning in free time, y'kno?). But if anybody wants to gab with me I'm usually active on the Farore discord server every few days or so - or at least I will be until some admin gets power-hungry, tries to censor it, and turns it into a goshdarn snoozefest.]

The post was edited 1 time, last by andi: oops, forgot an @ ().

• eeee andi!! :love: :love: :love: :love: hi omg blush blush eee blush (also hi f3, liah here :D )

(also ye me and michael are still around, tho mostly to play dungeons & dragons, and rants about politics or w/e the fuck. but ayy here thats basically the most recent update on where i - and michael - are at xoxxoxoxoxoxox)

(i have a crush on andi)
      (hi andi)
      (hi)
      (eeeee)

The post was edited 1 time, last by Malia ().

• andi wrote:

L-o-S! I didn't know you had LIKED me way back then!
      Hah! I suppose I never did spill those beans, did I? :D I definitely had an Andi crush a few times over the years. Glad I could help with stormtrooper dude - I do think that's the guy I was thinking of. If my memory serves you were down in Boston circa ~2004, right? I was just an hour or so north in NH - you were the top of my list of people I wanted to meet IRL for awhile. My parents were not super into driving me to Boston to meet scary internet people though. By the time I was living around Boston I think you were long gone!

And Eric has a startup game company now? Nice. Last time I talked with him I had just broken into the industry, and he was asking for advice. Glad he kept pursuing that. Hope he isn't a *starving* indie. Though some people are into that - gotta be a martyr for the art and all that.

Also - @Malia! I didn't realize you were Liah! Good to see you.

@F3! I definitely remember running into you at basically every Zelda forum under the sun. Good times.
      Pronouns: He/Him

The post was edited 1 time, last by Max N. ().

• lord-of-shadow wrote:

Do you remember Conrad, who took over ZHQ after Niels? I am trying to recall his last name. I guessed van der Woude earlier, but low confidence in that one.
      You have a good memory! I'm pretty sure it was Conrad VanderWoude.

@F3 I don't think we ever spoke much one on one, but I definitely remember seeing you around the community!
      A famous explorer once said, that the extraordinary is in what we do, not who we are.

• Hi everyone, new faces and familiar ones! @lord-of-shadow pinged me and told me that you were all having a nostalgia party here, and I thought I'd crash it.

A lot of people know and remember much more about the community, both ZU's and the overall Zelda online fandom, than I do. So instead of butchering some half remembered stories from what went on back in the day, I thought I'd share some nuggets about what happened behind the scenes back in the day when ZU was still growing up.

Zelda Universe actually started out as a Zelda section on my personal website, with the original URL being home.no.net/larscsim/zelda.htm. Unfortunately web archive doesn't have anything logged from that far back. I was just a fifteen year old geeky kid with a homepage where I shared reverse chronologically ordered updates from my life, long before the term "blog" was invented. When people I didn't knew started coming to the Zelda section for advice, I decided to spin it off. I also had the idea that if I made the new site in English, way more people would potentially find it useful. That was back in February of 2001.

I had originally decided on the name "Zelda Planet" for the site. But, much to my dismay, I discovered that Zelda 64 Planet was already a very popular site. As a result, I had to think bigger, and Zelda Universe was born. I'm still bitter about Nintendo hijacking the name for their official Zelda site a few years later.

Joshua wrote:

So, the other day, a conversation with some of the other ZU team leaders led me down memory lane, and I started looking at the old ZU page layouts...and I thought it might be fun to recreate one of them using more modern web design tools (i.e. not a bunch of tables nested inside of tables and optimized for Internet Explorer 5). So...I did. I rebuilt one of the oldest ZU layouts (the oldest one we can easily find) - Version 3. It's in a hidden directory on my personal blog: www.watcherjoshua.com/zu3/index.html

This was one of the first layouts I made for ZU as a standalone site, and I was so proud of having finally mastered nested tables in Macromedia Dreamweaver to make it! Back when I made it we were hosted on a subdomain by a site I haven't seen mentioned here so far: Zelda Central HQ. It was a pretty cool site, and one of the big ones just as I came into the community. At the time of that snapshot from Web Archive, I had just registered and moved the site to zeldauniverse.net.

lord-of-shadow wrote:

One last thing. Here's the website from around the time I joined:
      web.archive.org/web/2002112906…www.zeldauniverse.net:80/

And here're the forums:
      web.archive.org/web/2002120620…dauniverse.net:80/forums/

It was after that layout was introduced ZU went from being just another fan site, to becoming one of the most popular Zelda fan sites online. Which is a bit funny, because the whole concept behind that design was basically a shameless ripoff from a general Nintendo fan site called Nintendo Fire. The guy who ran Nintendo Fire actually contacted me and told me to take it down, but I respectfully declined and said "sue me!" You weren't the only little shit back then, Max. I was so scared! Anyways, I still think the days of that design, the blue themed forums, and the iterations that followed were the true glory days of Zelda Universe.

Speaking of inspiration, there was another Zelda fan site back then that I did everything I could to try and stay on top of: Zelda Elements. I remember that I thought the guy who founded the site and ran it back then, I think his name was Matt something, was an absolute genius. Almost every week he would come up with awesome new ways to present the same old content that every Zelda fan site back then had, and I was exhausted to just try and keep up and copy most of his ideas. I never knew why people came to Zelda Universe instead of just going there, but we probably had ten times as much traffic as they did. Eventually they more or less packed it in, and I think at that point ZU was quite comfortably the largest independent Zelda related fan community.

Someone mentioned Zephka, and that guy was absolutely instrumental in growing ZU through that period. He had helped run some of the biggest sites in the years before, such as ZeldaGames.com (that was a big one!) He produced so much content that was pivotal to progressing ZU, and taking it from being a run-of-the-mill fansite to what you're looking at right now. I never got to thank him properly for all the help he gave, but if anyone has his details, please shoot me a PM.

In the final year before I sold Zelda Universe, I was actually having a go at making it a full time endeavour. But, between the limited advertising income and the sky high hosting costs, I completely burned out on trying to make ends meet. And in the end, that was the reason I decided to sell the site.

Anyways, that's all I've got for now. If I can remember anything else that could be interesting from back then, I'll pop by. And also AMA :lol:

The post was edited 2 times, last by Lars ().

• Malia wrote:

heya shona <3 <3 nice to see you posting here :)

also i was familiar with the grand adventures before i went to north castle. later, i became friends with dave/the missing link whom i met on nc too. when i found out i was reading his work for a while, i had this freak out fangirl moment xD.

i also remember, at the top of the forum for nc, we had this little cucco that would run if you clicked on it and eventually, if you clicked on it too much, a whole bunch of em would appear haha. i think dave made that? but man, that tickled me so much lol.
      I had such fun coding that Cucco.

Also, I guess I became friends with Malia too. I GUESS. :B
    • "Self imposed exodus". More like we were too cool for lame-o's from other boards. And I mean that in a bad way. Our isolationism was always a major weakness, and one I fought to the bitter end. One could draw parallels to the current political climate and boy oh boy I hope Joe sees the irony there.

Our discord is technically doing well, but as far as continuity of members goes there are less than ten of us that have stuck through the whole lifespan of the board, and the rest are either folks I've gathered from surrounding boards or veterans that haven't actually engaged with us in over a decade. Most of our most active peeps, IDM, Dratini, WC, Dave, they're in a separate wechat and regard us as foreigners. Been that way for years now. Sad state of affairs.
    • it's not sad, it's the natural way of things

when the board is 25 years old will we still lament "we haven't been here since day one" ?

i was here and left for 3 years, that doesn't matter. the state of the world is flux babe

there is no such thing as is only becoming

change is the only constant of the universe

see, what I love most about rivers is

you can't step in the same river twice

the water's always changing, always flowing

but people, I guess, can't live like that

The post was edited 1 time, last by Lucretia ().

• Lars wrote:

Hi everyone, new faces and familiar ones! @lord-of-shadow pinged me and told me that you were all having a nostalgia party here, and I thought I'd crash it.

A lot of people know and remember much more about the community, both ZU's and the overall Zelda online fandom, than I do. So instead of butchering some half remembered stories from what went on back in the day, I thought I'd share some nuggets about what happened behind the scenes back in the day when ZU was still growing up.

Zelda Universe actually started out as a Zelda section on my personal website, with the original URL being home.no.net/larscsim/zelda.htm. Unfortunately web archive doesn't have anything logged from that far back. I was just a fifteen year old geeky kid with a homepage where I shared reverse chronologically ordered updates from my life, long before the term "blog" was invented. When people I didn't knew started coming to the Zelda section for advice, I decided to spin it off. I also had the idea that if I made the new site in English, way more people would potentially find it useful. That was back in February of 2001.

I had originally decided on the name "Zelda Planet" for the site. But, much to my dismay, I discovered that Zelda 64 Planet was already a very popular site. As a result, I had to think bigger, and Zelda Universe was born. I'm still bitter about Nintendo hijacking the name for their official Zelda site a few years later.
      Thank you for all of your hard work and dedication, Lars. This place means an awful lot to a whole ton of people, and that's all because of what you built those many years ago. For me, personally, this website has played a very big role in life. My experiences here have been instrumental in helping me achieve a lot of personal and creative goals. I'm forever grateful for what you created here.
    • Lucretia wrote:

it's not sad, it's the natural way of things

when the board is 25 years old will we still lament "we haven't been here since day one" ?

i was here and left for 3 years, that doesn't matter. the state of the world is flux babe

there is no such thing as is only becoming

change is the only constant of the universe

see, what I love most about rivers is

you can't step in the same river twice

the water's always changing, always flowing

but people, I guess, can't live like that
      I feel like "it's the nature of things" is a bit of a cop-out. It couldn't have been stopped, and I'm ultimately fine with the way things have turned out, but what ended us wasn't the ravages of age or the changing tides, it was the actions of people. The truth won't change anything but that doesn't make it not the truth.

We had a good run though. A damn good run. I'd write a book if I thought anyone would read it.
    • Galedeep wrote:

Panique wrote:

Also, the first board I modded was the Graphic Design board (I think it had a weird long name back then?)
      ~~~Synthesis of Imagery~~~
      Ah yes, my baby, the Synthesis of Imagery!

Pietro wrote:

Oh, just found the rest!

Panique

Graphics Design Mod: July 2008 - Oct. 2008
      Community Section Mod: Oct. 2008 - Nov. 2008
      Super Mod: Nov. 2008 - Feb. 2010
      Admin: Feb. 2010 - Aug. 2010

It was all in the old Mod history thread. Don't know why you were disappeared from history, but you're back.

Edit: Do you know when you retired as a smod? Because I can add your 2nd stint as a smod too.
      Aw thanks Pietro! Unfortunately I have no idea when I retired as smod. I did really enjoy modding this place, though.

lord-of-shadow wrote:

Captain Cornflake wrote:

When was that again?
      ZHQ was 96, North Castle was 97. I'm, uh, pretty sure.

Peefy wrote:

Some of the early stuff I remember is the Darkness in Hyrule subforum, dedicated to a fangame. I remember downloading the beta-version (I think) of the game made specifically for Lord of Shadow (hey Max), and then using some software to brutforce the password to open it. I was proud as hell, but too scared to tell anyone about it. Oh well, never too late to come clean. I don't remember anything about the game itself.

SearonX (Eric)
      Oh man! I forgot about Searinox. I'm pretty sure his screenname came from a dragon from some random Warcraft 3 mission.

The Darkness in Hyrule project though... I don't think that had anything to do with me. Did it? Crap. I don't remember.

ich Will wrote:

I remember this one guy called 'William Zelda4ever'...a real n00bzorz.
      Was... was that you? Hahah. I remember that name well. I strongly associate that name with spam, spam as far as the eye could see. But I also recall that you tried and got better over time. Clearly! Glad we kept you around, hahah.

Captain Cornflake wrote:

The community is still around from there too, also mostly in Discord and chat applications these days, but still very much in touch.
      Turns out, we're mostly still alive!
      Speaking of still alive - it is a goddamn miracle that the forum user database is still intact. This system remembers my join date. Goddamn. Well done, everyone who's worked on that over the years.
      Oh my god, I remember sea! I only ever really knew him from IRC and while I don't think he ever liked me, he begrudgingly got used to my presence after a while lol.
    • Panique wrote:

Aw thanks Pietro! Unfortunately I have no idea when I retired as smod. I did really enjoy modding this place, though.
      It was in early-mid 2014 I think. I know I was made an Smod (what were the admins thinking!?) shortly after you retired.

As for what I remember, uhh... I remember when I joined Cody was just made a mod of the Synthesis of Imagery (lol), and he asked me if I had been adopted shortly after I joined. Out of context, that's a very odd question. :P Now, with Sturs retired, Cody's the only staff member who's still on the team from when I joined.

I also remember when the Serious Discussion board was called Internet: Serious Business. A name I shall forever fight to be brought back.