Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    I remember ZU when...
    • Shona is one of my favorite people :)

When I opened The Temple of Time in 2002, I did what every new Zelda webmaster knew was the first step: you click around to all the websites and email them all about becoming an affiliate so that your link would appear on their pages.

The first two people I contacted were Shona and Mases. There are very few people that I have known longer. I was very forunate to finally meet Shona - and His Majesty, The Missing Link, who is also wonderful - last year at E3.

If you really never want to forget that moment when you finally meet someone, be friends with them for 14 years first.

EDIT: I guess I can also echo Shona's final comment. This community has changed the course of my life repeatedly. I was dabbling in website design, but my interactions with a few specific people in the community is really what led me to want to make website and graphic design my career. More recently, if you had told me even 5 years ago that I would present a Zelda-panel at a convention in front of hundreds of people, I wouldn't have believed you - I am definitely not the type of person who gets on a stage to do anything. But, I'm so glad I did (PAX South - this past January).

I don't know what my life would have been like without this community, and I don't want to know.
    • heya shona <3 <3 nice to see you posting here :)

also i was familiar with the grand adventures before i went to north castle. later, i became friends with dave/the missing link whom i met on nc too. when i found out i was reading his work for a while, i had this freak out fangirl moment xD.

i also remember, at the top of the forum for nc, we had this little cucco that would run if you clicked on it and eventually, if you clicked on it too much, a whole bunch of em would appear haha. i think dave made that? but man, that tickled me so much lol.
    • So, here's an old tool that will mostly be familiar to others who ran little Zelda websites. Who remembers Cute News? http://cutephp.com/http://cutephp.com/

It appears to still be under active development.

These were the days before Wordpress and before a teenager with no money could get a legit Content Management System. The websites were hand coded, and Cute News was about the best free thing there was to manage your front page blog/news updates. So, all of us had it.
    • Joshua wrote:

Yeah. It really is somewhat miraculous considering all the mishaps over the years. Lost backups, database corruption. The last redesign (when this latest Temple skin was launched) caused the forums to be down for months. The reason? We were trying to convert the database from vBullitin to Burning Board and it literally took 3 or 4 months. The transfer itself took about 4 days, but every time it ran into an error, it stopped the whole thing. Then, we had to fix the problem and try again...and then it would stop again after 3 days. It was a nightmare.

Any major forum work is a huge PITA. I'm amazed we got the BB upgrade through, as I still remember the struggle to merge the databases well!

Malia wrote:

i also remember, at the top of the forum for nc, we had this little cucco that would run if you clicked on it and eventually, if you clicked on it too much, a whole bunch of em would appear haha. i think dave made that? but man, that tickled me so much lol.
      That was on Zelda Blog!
      A famous explorer once said, that the extraordinary is in what we do, not who we are.

• Joshua wrote:

So, here's an old tool that will mostly be familiar to others who ran little Zelda websites. Who remembers Cute News? http://cutephp.com/http://cutephp.com/

It appears to still be under active development.

These were the days before Wordpress and before a teenager with no money could get a legit Content Management System. The websites were hand coded, and Cute News was about the best free thing there was to manage your front page blog/news updates. So, all of us had it.
      That script was seriously everywhere for awhile there.
    • Shona wrote:

I went by the username Lysia in the Zelda community from 2000 until 2013, when I switched to my real name. I ran a Zelda fan site from 2001 - 2011, when I merged with Zelda Universe, so I've actually been webmastering for nearly 17 years
      Did that merge ever actually happen? I remember a bunch of people migrating over from your forum in anticipation of the merge, but I don't remember the much-touted actual merger of posts and users actually happening.
      O Gods dethroned and deceased, cast forth, wiped out in a day
      From your wrath is the world released, redeemed from your chains, men say.
      New Gods are crowned in the city; their flowers have broken your rods;
      They are merciful, clothed with pity, the young compassionate Gods.
      But for me their new device is barren, the days are bare;
      Things long past over suffice, and men forgotten that were.

Algernon Charles Swinburne, "Hymn to Proserpine"
    • There's probably a few communities I've forgotten but I'll continue to reminisce.
      I used to run a general gaming fansite called Asylum Gaming. It was affiliated with some of the already mentioned communities Rauru's Return, E-Zelda, MCLOZ etc.. My site wasn't anything special. More of a webdesign project that paid homage to my favourite games. I still own the domain and hope to bring it back someday in some form.

Anyways, Zelda forums I think I joined:
      z64planet.com - I was high school friends with the webmaster
      ganonstower.com - pretty sure i did some forum modding here at some point. Used to play Xbox 360 with the webmaster (I know I said that earlier).
      Zelda Xclipse and Urban Zelda - I listed these both together because I believe I met my wife on one of these forums. She seems to recall Urban Zelda and I remember it being Zelda Xclipse. Though I'm not known for my good memory. If any of you were active ZX, UZ or z64planet or Ganons Tower you might remember a user that went by the name of Farore. She's my wife.
      Rauru's Return
      Hyrule.com.ar
      Zeldagames.com
      htloz.net

I'm sure I joined others but I can't remember them all, lol

Any of you returning old timers remember me? I remember Lord of Shadow!
      Arch, I remember you from htloz.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Hoju ().

• Vulpes wrote:

Shona wrote:

I went by the username Lysia in the Zelda community from 2000 until 2013, when I switched to my real name. I ran a Zelda fan site from 2001 - 2011, when I merged with Zelda Universe, so I've actually been webmastering for nearly 17 years
      Did that merge ever actually happen? I remember a bunch of people migrating over from your forum in anticipation of the merge, but I don't remember the much-touted actual merger of posts and users actually happening.
      The site merge happened, but not the forums. The databases were too big and our servers couldn't handle it :(

@Hoju I must've seen you around since I frequented some of those sites (and I'm good friends with Ian/Archaic Sage from Rauru's Return), but I don't recall your name.
      A famous explorer once said, that the extraordinary is in what we do, not who we are.

• I changed my username when I made my semi-comeback (which was mostly just me dropping in on my clan with a "hey everybody" type post

and from what i've heard/read, there's no way to check previous usernames now??? so aside from those i've said "hey it's me" to, i'm hoping i've been gone long enough for people to forget my OG ZU life from when i was a kid lol not like it would be hard for a mild bobby sauce stalker to figure out with a bit of profile 'n post hunting lol

doesn't really matter either way, i still only pop in here every now and then to say hello </3
      i'll just be on my way.

The post was edited 1 time, last by death. ().

• Joshua wrote:

Brotherhood of the Underworld
      The Desert Colossus
      Zelda Elements
      Zelda Oracles
      Zelda Capital
      Rauru's Return

Related: While pulling those links, I had to update the status of a couple websites. Exploding Deku Nut is now completely offline. And Zelda Infinite now redirects to zelda.com. :(
      Ahh yes, Rauru's Return holds a special place in my heart. I had a lot of fun and gained some invaluable experience writing for Harkinian there. Archaic Sage and Intas were good dudes to work alongside.

That's a shame to hear about Exploding Deku Nut, however. Their awards were a really neat contribution to the community.
    • John wrote:

I remember the debate about if a debate forum should be made (I...think I was vaguely opposed to it at first?) and bits and pieces of what Serious Discussion has been over the years. Including its time as "Internet: Serious Business".
      I loved that name.

(also, Escapist's Haven for the BA/RPG section :p )

HeroOfTime5 wrote:

Jason was a well respected moderator back then (now current webmaster) so it caused even more chaos upon his departure.
      You might even say he caused golden chaos on his departure!

Eh?
      Eh?
      Eh?

(making that terrible pun was honestly my main reason for posting in this thread)

Hmm if my memory serves I remember when the serious discussion sub was banned for some time due to flamming. I don't quite recall how long it lasted for but there was a community wide announcement about it.
      Yeah, I recall something along those lines happening. In practice all the SD topics just ended up popping up in GCC, iirc.

death. wrote:

I changed my username when I made my semi-comeback (which was mostly just me dropping in on my clan with a "hey everybody" type post

and from what i've heard/read, there's no way to check previous usernames now??? so aside from those i've said "hey it's me" to, i'm hoping i've been gone long enough for people to forget my OG ZU life from when i was a kid lol not like it would be hard for a mild bobby sauce stalker to figure out with a bit of profile 'n post hunting lol

doesn't really matter either way, i still only pop in here every now and then to say hello </3
      I wouldn't need to stalk. I just remember. :p

So, 'sup guys? I'm SacredSturgeon and I have been consistently active in these parts since 2005. :3
    • @Hoju: Did you use to post in serious discussion? I could have swore we discussed with one another on religion or some other topic.

@SacredSturgeon *claps out loud* brilliant pun ! haha

I remember ZU when there was a space capacity on private messages.

I remember ZU when many users had a detailed bio page on their profile.

Has anyone heard from @BigGoronSword ? or @TSA?

TSA held all the records for speed runs back in the early 00s. I think he stopped doing this a while back.

Is it quite common for fellow zelda community members to get married?
    • HeroOfTime5 wrote:

@Hoju: Did you use to post in serious discussion? I could have swore we discussed with one another on religion or some other topic.
      That's quite possible. I used to post in there a bit. Some discussions got pretty heated so I wouldn't always be in there.

HeroOfTime5 wrote:

Is it quite common for fellow zelda community members to get married?
      Haha, I'm not sure. It's not unheard of for people to form relationships with those they meet randomly online. I've heard of people marrying people they met in their MMO guilds.
      I met my wife on a Zelda forum then found out that we lived like 20 minutes away from each other. So then we became real life friends, now we're married with kids.

If you've been to some of the forums I was a bigger part of and saw a forum member named Farore, that's her. I know she did some mod work at Ganons Tower. I can't remember if she's ever posted here though.
    • I can think of 3 examples of Zelda community members getting married - 4, now that I just read your post Hoju.

So... not that common? But those three were all webmasters or forum admins. Apparently getting into the rarefied air of community leadership makes people fall for each other.

Archdeco wrote:

However, you might be interested to see Niels 't Hooft, creator of ZHQ and for all intents and purposes grandaddy of the Zelda fandom, give a TEDx talk.

I googled him yesterday and found that. Was pretty sure it was him, but not positive.

Do you remember Conrad, who took over ZHQ after Niels? I am trying to recall his last name. I guessed van der Woude earlier, but low confidence in that one.
    • @Hoju I always tread that place carefully as well but when I first join ZU as a youngster I have to say that subforum helped enhance my critical thinking skills. Lots a depth discussions there.

@Hoju Congratulations! That's a pretty cool love story.

Hmm that name does ring a bell. Regrettably, I didn't spend much time at Ganon's Tower.

@lord-of-shadow Good point. Perhaps, being in those leadership positions gives more opportunity to connect with others on a personal level. It's probable that others users have met and developed relationships. It's hard to quantify though.