Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    I remember ZU when...
    • I've only been here for a year so the site hasn't really changed much other than the recent forum reorganization unless I'm forgetting something. I'm sure I'll see many other changes in the future because I love this site and it's community and will be here for many years to come!

Tru Universe|Cat Midna Avatar and Signature by The Twilight Princess. Check out her art thread here!
    • oh damn, the rotating banners tho. it was a simpler time.

I didn't even realize the Creative board was gone. I really only pop in every few millenia. I didn't use it as much as I could have, but that doesn't stop me from remembering it fondly and missing it.

I remember when the site was down for it's CRAZY BIG RENO that took like 3 months to do??? and the whole time i was like "UGGHHH WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO PROCRASTINATE WITH NOW????"

i was just starting college back then, now ima jobless hoe lol crazy how quickly time flies, yet despite that, how much can change :o

also what's the word on the censors nowadays? do we have to just self moderate or am i allowed to swear like a sailor now lol jk (i've definitely developed a potty mouth since i was more active here, w h o o p s)
      i'll just be on my way.

The post was edited 2 times, last by death. ().

• Now, regarding Zelda sites, even though it didn't have a permanent community (or even messageboards, I believe), doesn't Odyssey of Hyrule predate everything else mentioned here?

EDIT-

Holy crap, no, it wouldn't. Odyssey of Hyrule was only 1998, and North Castle/ZHQ were 1997?

The post was edited 1 time, last by Mirren ().

• HeroOfTime5 wrote:

This is awesome.
      I'm summoned! And I'll happily indulge in nostalgia.

I joined in 2003, shortly after turning 14. Now I'm 29. Most of my life I've been registered to this site. I often tell people that I grew up online, and that's not really far from the truth. While I was never really that active here on the forums, I spent a lot of time in the chatroom. Sadly I have a terrible memory, so I appriciate those of you able to write up some of the stuff that went down way back when. Most of the drama went above my head, but I do like being reminded of the personalities!

Some of the early stuff I remember is the Darkness in Hyrule subforum, dedicated to a fangame. I remember downloading the beta-version (I think) of the game made specifically for Lord of Shadow (hey Max), and then using some software to brutforce the password to open it. I was proud as hell, but too scared to tell anyone about it. Oh well, never too late to come clean. I don't remember anything about the game itself.

I remember my first posts here being quite rude towards Malony, a Swedish member (that was mentioned earlier) that was nothing but sweet. Those posts were deleted during some forum blackout/transition shortly after, which also led to the creation of the chat. Or, kind of. There already was a chat embedded onto the main site, but no one ever used it. AnakiN- (Lars) was an avid IRC-user, and like me (and many other Norwegians) he stuck to EFnet - one of the many IRC-servers around. But he did not create the "new" chat, that was done by...uhm LoZ90210 (I don't remember the numbers) I think. And on some other obscure server, and under the name #zuchat. I was one of the early ones on there, and so was RaZoR_LeAf, Kokiri Kid (Scott), SearonX (Eric) and several others who stuck around for years. As the forums were down, people were flocking into the chat (and a ZU Temp-board that still was around only a few years ago). Total Annihilation Universe went down around the same time (I think), and the user groups slightly merged. At least the users of the chat rooms.

I became really active in the chat, and eventually managed to convince AnakiN- (and the rest) to move over to EFnet, and we also started using my older brother's IRC bots (for you kids: To give you an illustration of how chatting went down way back when, imagine Huckleberry Finn and the lil guy from a Christmas Carol communicating by etchig cave paintings using super nintendo controllers. It was something like that). Due to my brother's bots watching over the chat (and adding functionaliy like "!seen"), I was promoted to op, and somehow became one of the guys in charge. I don't remember taking much responsibility. I actually don't remember doing much of anything other than cracking jokes while other people were having conversations. In the beginning I used to shout the names of everyone in channel as I entered it, but I can only assume that grew old pretty quick. The chat was really nice for getting to know people, but I also think it led to a kind of elitist feeling, where we considered ourself the "inner circle" of the ZeldaUniverse community, as opposed to the forums. Or maybe that was just me?

I did something quite good, though: I brought HalfAbee (Erik) and Epona/Pona/Pandora to ZU, and I know HalfAbee was mod for a while. So that's something!

Other shoutouts: unowho (Dom), Majin_link (who I had fake feud with), yami, Xx_Tenkawa_xX, Kedisar, Ganon's Daughter, Sadida, Nënúe (which I remember introducing to the chat), Focs (who once wrote sex instead of sec, leading me to always switch between the letters whenever talking to him. I was a comedy genius and people will speak of my great antics for generations. I know.), Capncornflake, Hindmost, Foamy (known for being a lunatic), Alonely, Lioness, andi, Divine_Dragoon (I think he's a drug mule now), GoldenChaos (an actual mule), Mercuito (who revolutionized sig shops), uhm, and so many others. I love you all! (Edit: Ascius! Frodo! Remus! BBD and all of his extended family that somehow joined! DrZaius! OldBeane!)

The two I got to know the best were Anime Queen ((((()))))) and Future, who I still consider close friends.

Keep the memories coming old timers, I would love to be reminded of how much I have forgotten!
    • Malia wrote:

Breeze wrote:

THIS IS SO FUN GUYS.

Anyone remember that Big Piece of Paper that never made its way around the globe?
      I DO. I got it after Asia sent it to me, and then I sent it to... fuck me, I can't remember lol. But aahhhh!
      You sent it to me!! I can't remember where I sent it though whoops.

I have not been included in the moderator history list and this upsets me. I used to be Administrator Panique! The people feared me*!

* The people did not fear me.

Also, the first board I modded was the Graphic Design board (I think it had a weird long name back then?), I would have been about 14. I am now 26 and finally undertaking a graphic design degree.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Panique ().

• Peefy wrote:

HeroOfTime5 wrote:

This is awesome.
      I'm summoned! And I'll happily indulge in nostalgia.
      I joined in 2003, shortly after turning 14. Now I'm 29. Most of my life I've been registered to this site. I often tell people that I grew up online, and that's not really far from the truth. While I was never really that active here on the forums, I spent a lot of time in the chatroom. Sadly I have a terrible memory, so I appriciate those of you able to write up some of the stuff that went down way back when. Most of the drama went above my head, but I do like being reminded of the personalities!

Some of the early stuff I remember is the Darkness in Hyrule subforum, dedicated to a fangame. I remember downloading the beta-version (I think) of the game made specifically for Lord of Shadow (hey Max), and then using some software to brutforce the password to open it. I was proud as hell, but too scared to tell anyone about it. Oh well, never too late to come clean. I don't remember anything about the game itself.

I remember my first posts here being quite rude towards Malony, a Swedish member (that was mentioned earlier) that was nothing but sweet. Those posts were deleted during some forum blackout/transition shortly after, which also led to the creation of the chat. Or, kind of. There already was a chat embedded onto the main site, but no one ever used it. AnakiN- (Lars) was an avid IRC-user, and like me (and many other Norwegians) he stuck to EFnet - one of the many IRC-servers around. But he did not create the "new" chat, that was done by...uhm LoZ90210 (I don't remember the numbers) I think. And on some other obscure server, and under the name #zuchat. I was one of the early ones on there, and so was RaZoR_LeAf, Kokiri Kid (Scott), SearonX (Eric) and several others who stuck around for years. As the forums were down, people were flocking into the chat (and a ZU Temp-board that still was around only a few years ago). Total Annihilation Universe went down around the same time (I think), and the user groups slightly merged. At least the users of the chat rooms.

I became really active in the chat, and eventually managed to convince AnakiN- (and the rest) to move over to EFnet, and we also started using my older brother's IRC bots (for you kids: To give you an illustration of how chatting went down way back when, imagine Huckleberry Finn and the lil guy from a Christmas Carol communicating by etchig cave paintings using super nintendo controllers. It was something like that). Due to my brother's bots watching over the chat (and adding functionaliy like "!seen"), I was promoted to op, and somehow became one of the guys in charge. I don't remember taking much responsibility. I actually don't remember doing much of anything other than cracking jokes while other people were having conversations. In the beginning I used to shout the names of everyone in channel as I entered it, but I can only assume that grew old pretty quick. The chat was really nice for getting to know people, but I also think it led to a kind of elitist feeling, where we considered ourself the "inner circle" of the ZeldaUniverse community, as opposed to the forums. Or maybe that was just me?

I did something quite good, though: I brought HalfAbee (Erik) and Epona/Pona/Pandora to ZU, and I know HalfAbee was mod for a while. So that's something!

Other shoutouts: unowho (Dom), Majin_link (who I had fake feud with), yami, Xx_Tenkawa_xX, Kedisar, Ganon's Daughter, Sadida, Nënúe (which I remember introducing to the chat), Focs (who once wrote sex instead of sec, leading me to always switch between the letters whenever talking to him. I was a comedy genius and people will speak of my great antics for generations. I know.), Capncornflake, Hindmost, Foamy (known for being a lunatic), Alonely, Lioness, andi, Divine_Dragoon (I think he's a drug mule now), GoldenChaos (an actual mule), Mercuito (who revolutionized sig shops), uhm, and so many others. I love you all! (Edit: Ascius! Frodo! Remus! BBD and all of his extended family that somehow joined! DrZaius! OldBeane!)

The two I got to know the best were Anime Queen ((((()))))) and Future, who I still consider close friends.

Keep the memories coming old timers, I would love to be reminded of how much I have forgotten!
      Has this all been a setup or something? This thread has been too good to be true! Hahahaha

It has been far too long since I've seen that Dr. Wright avy! Good to see you again, Peef!
    • Mirren wrote:

Now, regarding Zelda sites, even though it didn't have a permanent community (or even messageboards, I believe), doesn't Odyssey of Hyrule predate everything else mentioned here?

EDIT-

Holy crap, no, it wouldn't. Odyssey of Hyrule was only 1998, and North Castle/ZHQ were 1997?
      That's why I was trying to place the years, I knew Odyssey was somewhere vaguely in that timeframe.

The community is still around from there too, also mostly in Discord and chat applications these days, but still very much in touch.
    • Mirren wrote:

Has this all been a setup or something? This thread has been too good to be true! Hahahaha
      It has been far too long since I've seen that Dr. Wright avy! Good to see you again, Peef!
      I am fairly certain this is Cody's handiwork. I know he threw me into the thread (I'm a very active member of the community, I just work behind the scenes most of the time and rarely post on the forums), and I know that he grabbed Max as well.

So, I'm just going to assume that Cody went out of his way to grab everyone.

Also, Hi Captain. Long time, no see.