Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    I remember ZU when...
    • HeroOfTime5 wrote:

Serenity wrote:

Burning Boards. @HeroOfTime5 when ZU's vbulletin server died, and then the whole forum switched to Burning Boards. The Latin sure got a revamp too, even though the forum Temple Skin looks even worse than before imo at least it looked like a forum during the vbulletin years.
      Oh i remember that. There were some old timers I was close with that never came back after that.
      According to the ZU statistics, there is still an average of 1,000 posts a day. I'm not sure what it was before.
      The 1000 posts a day stat comes from averaging 5,979,012 Posts by it seems to be 14.8 years, meaning when we moved to vBulletin in mid-2003. We're averaging under that at the moment, (partly because forums have declined in relevance since the '00s when they were the main form of social media for a Zelda site whereas since 2010 or so we've gradually added a Facebook, a Twitter, a YouTube channel, a Twitch channel, a Discord and a Tumblr amongst other things) but so far we're doing better than we were last year.

For the record here is the Daily Average for March 2018:

670 posts a day
      + 100 PMs (Conversation Messages) a day
      + 74 wall posts a day

As Foo alluded to, the number of Discord messages and Facebook messages etc that members send each other is untrackable (there are some clan Discord servers etc), so there's more lurking forum member activity that spikes when eg it's a Mafia game day (which might explain why we spike above 1200 posts on some days).
    • I remember ZU when @Cody made my birthday in the forum same day, month and year as Jim Carrey's birthdate back when my username was Jim months before I discovered that @Miss Poe refers herself as Jim too, hence my usename change. I missed the Jim Carrey ANIMATED avatars I had been using in the old format of ZU & my Jim Carrey signature banners.
    • I'm happy to see that ZU is getting steadily more active as time progresses, but damn the temple skin still looks bad lol

I remember becoming a Din Din because of all of the people I talked with on Skype who were Din affiliated. Still friends with those people on Facebook, but we rarely talk.

I was like BFFs with this one member who ended up pissing me off, but he got his shit together, and we made up lol it really changed when he and I got on hormone therapy at almost the same time.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Serenity ().

• I've mentioned my lurking habits before, but I've been visiting the site since at least... 2006 or so? It was around the time Twilight Princess was a huge deal, and I was looking everywhere for news about it. I had an account, but posted very sparingly. E3 would come around, I'd say "wow" about something if it was Zelda related, then sink back into the shadows. I interacted with no one.

But I've been watching Serious Discussion for years, which was quite illuminating too. It's weird posting there after so many years watching and learning. Still learning, honestly. Some day, my walls of text will be well sourced instead of just mostly angry rambling. Some day!

Though I lurked, it was definitely interesting to peruse here and see the rather interesting variety of thoughts and opinions on many topics.
    • Serenity wrote:

Oh god.
      I don't think I remember this.

I've seen a lot of petty things on ZU. I've even partaken in being petty a little gonna be honest

But this takes the cake as the pettiest thing I've ever heard in relation to ZU. XD
      xDD yeah it was p hilarious. like some kid PM'd me with a link to the forum bc "i was wondering if this is against the rules? i got invited here, but i dont want to get an infraction!" i click on the link and see this fucking forum with all these disgruntled zuers raging about the injustices of zu staff xDD. one of them even had the username "avaliah" LMAO. i went back to my pm and was like "nope! thats outside of zu and so not against the rules. have fun!" and the kid was like "phew, thanks, i was worried!"

xD
    • There was a time when you had to be in a clan to participate in the Temple of Light and Dark (what is now the Forum Games board)—and this was when being in clan was much more difficult.
      "But I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want sin."
      "In fact," said Mustapha Mond, "you're claiming the right to be unhappy."
      "All right then," said the Savage defiantly, "I'm claiming the right to be unhappy."
      "Not to mention the right to grow old and ugly and impotent; the right to have syphilis and cancer; the right to have too little to eat; the right to be lousy; the right to live in constant apprehension of what may happen to-morrow; the right to catch typhoid; the right to be tortured by unspeakable pains of every kind." There was a long silence.
      "I claim them all," said the Savage at last.
      Mustapha Mond shrugged his shoulders. "You're welcome," he said.

—Aldous Huxley, Brave New World
    • I remember when ZU became Train Universe on April Fool's Day 2009 in anticipation of Spirit Tracks. We had entire boards dedicated to different kinds of trains, and the logo was changed from the ZU shield to Thomas the Tank Engine's face. Probably one of the greatest pranks of all time.
    • I remember when the maximum sig size was 400x200 and God have MERCY on your soul if you broke that rule.

I remember when the litany of Zelda fansites competed in "best of" voting tournaments, and ZU lost to Zelda Power in the first round, much to all of our chagrin. More accurately, we were livid. Of course, 15 years later, and 95% of those other sites have been dead for a hot minute and we're still kicking it better than ever.

I remember when novel-length RPG fights would go down in the Battle Arena on a daily basis (how the F did we have the time to write that stuff!?)

I remember the ZUser Created Challenges; Fox hosted the first one as a graphics competition for the cover to a game centered around Ganon, and with Fox's blessing, I hosted the Writing Round, which welcomed written adaptations of scenes and sequences from Zelda games.

Malia wrote:

when capn faked his death
      when lt lollipop faked his death
      We've had a peculiar (maybe alarming) number of faked deaths around here, haven't we? :lol:

There was another, I think even long before those two. I would have been 13-14 at the time so this is going back to 2003 or 2004. I can't remember the kid's name, but he was a Battle Arena regular and I was pretty good friends with him on here. He came here posing as his brother, saying that he was knocked out during a martial arts tournament and ending up dying in the hospital because of it? I think that was the story.

Then someone ousted him when they searched the newspapers in the D.C. area for info on the story and found nothing. :cookiemonster:
    • Vulpes wrote:

There was a time when you had to be in a clan to participate in the Temple of Light and Dark (what is now the Forum Games board)—and this was when being in clan was much more difficult.
      oh lord yeah lmao. yikes xD

for those who dont know, the forum games area used to be the temple of light and dark - a forum that used to be private, and only opened to clan members. the idea back then was "if you want to "spam" you join a clan, and the rest of the forum would be "clear" of it" lmao

the temple of light and dark had been p dead for a while, so i had come up with the idea of opening the games forum to the public, but you know, you couldnt have change without people threatening to go to war of it lmao. that was only half of the story tho, bc i had also come up with the idea that instead of people having a private test judged by mods/have 50 posts to enter a clan, i suggested we just let newbies pick from the moment they join, which is what we've got in the newbie board now. THAT idea was met so much resistance youd think i was violating someones literal human rights xD.

Mirren wrote:

I remember when the maximum sig size was 400x200 and God have MERCY on your soul if you broke that rule.
      L M A O!!!

yeah holy shit we used to get upset reports from people being like THIS SIG IS 3 PIXELS OVER THE SIZE LIMIT ALDKJFSALDKF. this was another change i had pushed for! bc i had the audacity to suggest all the space available to a member... should be theirs to do with as they please gasp gasp gasp. like people seriously got upset with that xD.

maaaaaannn, cant say i miss the days where i had a fight coming my way whenever i had a new idea in staff lmao.

Mirren wrote:

We've had a peculiar (maybe alarming) number of faked deaths around here, haven't we? :lol:
      There was another, I think even long before those two. I would have been 13-14 at the time so this is going back to 2003 or 2004. I can't remember the kid's name, but he was a Battle Arena regular and I was pretty good friends with him on here. He came here posing as his brother, saying that he was knocked out during a martial arts tournament and ending up dying in the hospital because of it? I think that was the story.

Then someone ousted him when they searched the newspapers in the D.C. area for info on the story and found nothing. :cookiemonster:
      HAHAHAHA XD
    • >:3 wrote:

I remember ZU when @Cody made my birthday in the forum same day, month and year as Jim Carrey's birthdate back when my username was Jim months before I discovered that @Miss Poe refers herself as Jim too, hence my usename change. I missed the Jim Carrey ANIMATED avatars I had been using in the old format of ZU & my Jim Carrey signature banners.
      Uhm.. What? I have never referred myself as "Jim" and I have always had this username.
      "I remained too much inside my head and ended up loosing my mind"

-Edgar Allan Poe
    • I've said this before, but one time when the My Little Pony Friendship is Magic fandom was fresh and new, I forged a "Pony Clan" banner that me and others used when we could have banners as our custom ranks, and people legitimately thought that there was a Pony Clan aside from the others, and mods had to step in and order us to remove our banners lol I was such a little shit back then. Fuck the brony fandom.

And we all know that the real Pony Clan is Nayru. <33

The post was edited 1 time, last by Serenity ().

• re confessions threads

i used to help tnf monitor those too, and maaannnn oh man there were some nasty spiteful ones lmao. i remember there were actually a few about me, one of them in particular extremely racist. welp!

i remember the cody vs powershot election lol, and then all the mini independent factions that rose from it, also running for webmaster xD

i actually remember the first time i noticed avamike on zu in 2008. i thought he was cool. i tried to engage. he ignored me. multiple times.

dickhead.

xD