Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    • Normal
    I remember ZU when...
    • I believe they were not banned but instead, their accounts got lost during the migration. Called the great ZU wipeout or something, as the migration affected the forum's database which included the members database.

Tead wrote:

There was a time, years ago when I posted as a guest (we used to be able to create guest accounts) and we could only post in two forums as a guest. The Help Forum and Chit Chat, I believe.

I think I recall Jason making announcements how he was going to purchase the board at some point.
      People would ask him questions and as I recall, he used to mention how little, if anything would change.

I think too that the board was required to move due to some copyright issue(s)?
      I cannot remember.

I also believe that a lot of arguments happened and lasted for months because the board was to be bought and/or movie, and so many people left as a result (some were banned also, I believe), and many never returned. So far as I am aware of.

That is all I can remember.

That was years ago!
      Tead.
    • I made some edits to my other reply.

I do recall that some people right up and left the board, and I do recall that some where banned after the arguments/fights became so heated. As I recall, they became kind of bad at the time.

I also remember that we used to always have to type html code for so many things, to quote, make font color and size, and so forth.

I believe that when the board was changed over, I think it took a whole two months?

I think at some point there was even a need to reboot from earlier saved board data?

LOL.

Those years seemed to be more fun, and there were a lot of members, rather than just members with a few alternate accounts.

We had a lot of fun back then, even as a quest!

I do recall at some point when they were getting ready to do away with guest accounts that announcement were made, and all the guest were encouraged to signup with regular accounts.
      And if they did then they were told they would have first choice at their User Name, to keep what they used as a guest.

I think.

I believe that after a while even guest could name their guest account.
      That might have been on another board though.

I do not believe that I actually did signup with a full account.
      Though, I do recall being asked by many people (a dozen or more).

LOL.

Edit: Also, I think there used to be a way to select an avatar from some in-house Zelda ones.
      I have no idea what happened to those.

Though, that might have been elsewhere?
      Tead.

The post was edited 6 times, last by Tead ().

• Wait, which board was this?

Tead wrote:

I do recall that some people right up and left the board, and I do recall that some where banned after the arguments/fights became so heated. As I recall, they became kind of bad at the time.
      Was this after 2008 and before 2011?

Tead wrote:

I also remember that we used to always have to type html code for so many things, to quote, make font color and size, and so forth.
    • I miss the preset avatars. I used to use those sometimes. Now I have to do more work.

Incidentally, my Gravatar is actually ripped straight from those built-in avatars on ZU. I just almost never use it.

Also, if we had the ability to use actual HTML, that would give our posts the potential to look absolutely fantastic. Unfortunately, it's a potential security risk. So we use BBcode here, not HTML. And you can still use it by clicking the empty square in the top-left corner of the editor toolbar. I have to do so often because the WYSIWYG editor sucks.
    • I believe years ago we used to have to type the code, if it was not html, then I do not know what it was.

I just remember that we could either click a button to quote someone or type quote tags and other tags when we posted to get the desired effects.

Also, I am uncertain if it was on this board or another one, but there was a board that allowed us to store our signature.

>:3 wrote:

Wait, which board was this?
      This one for sure. I really remember that the arguments lasted like for months it seemed.
      People finally left.

Also, I think there was a time when an old owner of the board became rather upset with a new owner, and swore that he would never return. I believe that he even threatened to close his account. I am uncertain if he did or not, but I do not believe that he returned, or has ever much been seen again.

Anyhoo!
      Tead.

>:3 wrote:

Was this after 2008 and before 2011?
      I am uncertain. I have been a guest and also just a viewer of the site since very early on.
      Tead.
    • I remember a ZU where I was still innocent to the various underlying toxicities and injustices of its inner workings. No corporate system is perfect; I was naive for assuming that I'd found one that was.

I also remember a ZU where users were required to hit a certain post count before joining a clan. If I recall, the post count was set at a minimum of 50 posts. But my dumb ass thought it was 500 for whatever reason, and put off joining a clan for over three years because of it. :'D

Furthermore, I remember a ZU where timeline theorising was simply an exchange of ideas, as opposed to a competition of canonical correctness. As someone who began theorising before the American release of the Hyrule Historia, I both love and hate its existence. :v

⋆ Make your predictions about BotW 2's mummified remains here! ⋆
    • Kaylin wrote:

I remember a ZU where I was still innocent to the various underlying toxicities and injustices of its inner workings. No corporate system is perfect; I was naive for assuming that I'd found one that was.

I also remember a ZU where users were required to hit a certain post count before joining a clan. If I recall, the post count was set at a minimum of 50 posts. But my dumb ass thought it was 500 for whatever reason, and put off joining a clan for over three years because of it. :'D

Furthermore, I remember a ZU where timeline theorising was simply an exchange of ideas, as opposed to a competition of canonical correctness. As someone who began theorising before the American release of the Hyrule Historia, I both love and hate its existence. :v

Timeline theorizing does seem like a scholarly practice nowadays. I also sense some frustrations among theoriests since they feel like over the years Nintendo doesn’t care about the timeline as much. Back in the early 2000s there was a sense of optimism that Nintendo did care.

Oh well it was fun but there are more important things to do.
    • Kaylin wrote:

I remember a ZU where I was still innocent to the various underlying toxicities and injustices of its inner workings. No corporate system is perfect; I was naive for assuming that I'd found one that was.

I also remember a ZU where users were required to hit a certain post count before joining a clan. If I recall, the post count was set at a minimum of 50 posts. But my dumb ass thought it was 500 for whatever reason, and put off joining a clan for over three years because of it. :''D
      Yeah, ZU has always had at least a slight amount of toxicity to it.

I joined a clan right when I hit 50 I remember.

I remember when EVERYONE was doing a circle jerk in making fun of and trashing on Nayru. It was probably the most annoying thing I have ever seen on this forum. Even the mods joined in. This was partly because of how drama filled Nayru was, but everyone trashing on Nayru only worsened the problem. And like each clan has had their issues.
    • There was a system that kept track of everyone's past usernames, up to ten username in history I remember when you hovered the cursor over the member's username when on desktop mode. It was pretty handy, but it burned in the fire during the switch to bb.

Free choice is a lot better imo when choosing a clan. I'd rather it be like Pokémon Go than Harry Potter, not that the personality test isn't useless, but I think free choice is what turned Nayru around so drastically, but I think each clan still maintains a sense of individual identity.
    • things i remember. uh.

gender wars - women won every time.
      clan wars - historically dominated by farore.
      evaluation forum - lmao why did i put myself through this.
      temple of knowledge.
      temple of light and dark.
      signature of the week.
      when the graphic design was called the synthesis of imagery.
      zu marriages. i remember the first person who pm'd me and asked me to e-marry them. i said no lmao.
      when the scrapbook was part of the gcc (and the huge fight that followed when it was suggested to be moved to the cc)
      the creation of the cc board.
      ffff i remember the first day the sd was opened.
      the men's advice thread lol oh good lord xD.
      rotating banners - like it was in style to have this animated banner that said things like "fan of anime" "eats reeces pieces" or w/e xD.
      my first zuer meet up where i traveled across the outback of australia, visiting and stopping eventually in towns/cities to hang out with zuers.
      when zach got drunk and locked all the threads in the gcc? lmao
      the zelda rp group ._.;;; (explanation: in staff we received a report from someone pointing out two people flaming on someones wall. so i go to delete, infract etc etc. but on a whim i checked IP addresses. they were the same for both people. wat. then i checked the person who reported the posts. same IP. then i went into the z rp group and discovered this group that had well over 100 members, almost all had the same IP address. there were literally hundreds and thousands of posts in this group. so basically it was the same person who made multiple accounts to post and have conversations with themselves in this group, for 2 or so years? and flamed themselves and reported themselves. so uh. yeah. one of the weirder cases i dealt with in staff lmao)
      the v first question tag thread started up by tnf.
      the first day i was made an admin and a super mod quit immediately xD.
      the first mafia game in the cc thats considered canon in the zu mafia timeline ie manitoba express lmao.
      i also remember the earlier mafia games, an the first one i ran with michael ie harry potter (unfortunately deleted when zu exploded SPEAKING OF WHICH)
      BLACK VALENTINE ON ZU
      when we donated for the stupid temple skin xD
      the v first zu award i won ie best digital artist
      the time someone accidentally showed me a secret forum outside of zu where upset zuers went to bitch about staff lmao lmao lmao
      when capn faked his death
      when lt lollipop faked his death
      when zu was flipped upside down for april fools day
      when zu was slow af for april fools day
      when zu was slow af lmao (i mean if someone is like ITS NOT SLOW TODAY?? with me, hooo boy, this aint nothing compared to what the servers were like before vbulletin eventually died 8D )
      when the scrapbook had no chill and was filled with a buncha horndogs who made it really uncomfortable to post pics of yourself lol
      irc!
      when some member made a fake account to say they were dying of cancer, and when they were discovered to be an alt (and the original account posting in the actual thread about the cancer, being like "what if this person is lying!?!??!") the rage this person threw when staff called them out kek.
      when this place used to be super freaking active, like hundreds and hundreds of posts every day. wah.

aayyy.
    • Serenity wrote:

When a certain member made a ZU Anonymouse Confessions Thread that resulted in apparently a lot of steamy rando emails that were too lewd for ZU standards today but tbh in retrospect I'd rather not have a thread like that again for the sake of evading stalker-like behaviors and not giving any weirdos a platform to speak from, because lord knows they've been weirdos on ZU. The least amount of those kinds of people, the better.
      lol i used to moderate that email and yes

Many love confessions between people jaja
    • Malia wrote:

the time someone accidentally showed me a secret forum outside of zu where upset zuers went to bitch about staff lmao lmao lmao
      Oh god.

I don't think I remember this.

I've seen a lot of petty things on ZU. I've even partaken in being petty a little gonna be honest

But this takes the cake as the pettiest thing I've ever heard in relation to ZU. XD

Malia wrote:

when this place used to be super freaking active, like hundreds and hundreds of posts every day. wah.

Kinda miss when it was like it. bb really killed it. I'm actually posting now more than I ever have, but that's just because of smartphones.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Serenity ().

• Serenity wrote:

Malia wrote:

Oh god.
      I don't think I remember this.

I've seen a lot of petty things on ZU. I've even partaken in being petty a little gonna be honest

But this takes the cake as the prettiest thing I've ever heard in relation to ZU. XD

Malia wrote:

Kinda miss when it was like it. bb really killed it. I'm actually posting now more than I ever have, but that's just because of smartphones.
      What is “bb “?

I’m not that active anymore but I’m curious when did ZU becomes “less active”?
    • Serenity wrote:

Burning Boards. @HeroOfTime5 when ZU's vbulletin server died, and then the whole forum switched to Burning Boards. The Latin sure got a revamp too, even though the forum Temple Skin looks even worse than before imo at least it looked like a forum during the vbulletin years.
      Oh i remember that. There were some old timers I was close with that never came back after that.

According to the ZU statistics, there is still an average of 1,000 posts a day. I'm not sure what it was before.