Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    ZU's Gallery of Pets
    • I'm getting a mastiff soon! I've never owned a dog, so this is huge for me, and not just because these beautiful pups grow to be between 120-200 lbs!

Can you guys help me with a name? I'm not 100% on any of the ones I've thought of so far: Beesly (Pam...BEESLY!), Mishka ("bear"), Levee (Led Zep tribute).

Sharing some photos from the breeder!

Also while I bet I've read it online already (all of my links are purple from being viewed when you google anything "training" related) - any tips to new pup ownership would be helpful!

• Kae wrote:

I'm getting a mastiff soon! I've never owned a dog, so this is huge for me, and not just because these beautiful pups grow to be between 120-200 lbs!

Can you guys help me with a name? I'm not 100% on any of the ones I've thought of so far: Beesly (Pam...BEESLY!), Mishka ("bear"), Levee (Led Zep tribute).

Sharing some photos from the breeder!

Also while I bet I've read it online already (all of my links are purple from being viewed when you google anything "training" related) - any tips to new pup ownership would be helpful!

Patience and diligence! You can teach a dog almost anything, you just need to keep at it and not stop what you’re trying to teach them.
      If you can afford it, take yourself and puppy to a dog training class. It will be immensely valuable for both of you (and any future dogs you might have).
      Puppies like to eat things....sometimes everything. Anything you don’t want chewed, better keep it up and away. For example, my parents were borrowing my grandparents brand new cellphone many years ago because we were going away on a trip. The puppy ate it.
      Just because a dog has its adult body doesn’t mean it’s not a puppy. They’re gonna be puppy-brained for a few years. So if the dog slips up sometimes and does something spectacular that it’s not supposed to, it’s not a bad dog, it’s just a puppy and is still learning to control its whims (even if that puppy is 2-3 years old).
      A harness and leash is easier to control as opposed to a collar and leash, especially on big dogs. That way too, if you need to give the leash a solid tug for whatever reason, you don’t have to worry about hurting their neck/choking them.
      If you’re ever in a situation where the dog has to wear a muzzle, remember that the dog doesn’t actually know if it’s a positive or negative thing unless it sees the way you react to it. So try to make it a “fun” thing that way the dog isn’t scared or averse to it.
      You can never give a dog too much love, so don’t be afraid to give it everything you’ve got.
      And always remember: a dog may only be one part of your life, but you’re its entire world.

I’m so excited for you! You’re gonna be a great dogmum <3
    • The beginning is the hardest part! For my dogs the hardest part is always before they know what commands and certain words mean. Them not obeying doesn’t mean they aren’t listening, it just takes repetition.

Once they understand what you want, both dog and owner are way happier and it’s like you fall into a rhythm! And they pick up on things quickly!

Cece knows regular dog commands and tricks, but she also knows when I say “gross” on a walk it means “stop sniffing that!”, “are you hungry?” Means it’s time for food, that laying a blanket on the couch means she can jump up, aaaand this is honestly kinda sad since it’s a reflection on me... but if I put on jeans she runs in her crate—knowing I’m going out haha.

So basically there will be days where you feel like all you say is “no!” And “stop that!” But really soon those days will turn into you just saying “good dog!” Puppies are hard work though, it really is just like having a baby. My dogs were about 8 months old when adopting them so potty training was just a refresher, but you’ll be in for the full experience—it’ll go well, you’ve got this!

The post was edited 1 time, last by Winnie ().

• With a heavy heart, I'm sad to announce that my little leopard gecko, Cleo, has just passed away.

If you've read my past post, I was talking about how she was egg bound and had an infection from an egg rotting inside her system. Today she finally succumbed to the infection and died in my hands :(

I'd attach another picture of her but I really don't have the motivation to go through my computer and find one, to be frank.

RIP Cleopatra <3 :disappointed:
      Free Hug Station: Get your free hugs here!! <3 :3nod :fabulous: