Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    The Snake
    • Hey, Nonoctoro here, welcome for another of my theories.

Who is the Snake always represented with the Goddess of Sands on statues ?

This is my answer:

A Snake .... What is his most notable apparence in mythology ? The Snake of the forbbiden Fruit Tree in the myth of Adam and Eve in the garden of Eden.
      In many version, it says to be the Devil himself.

Who is the Devil in the Zelda series ? The Demon King.
      Before Ganon, it was Demise.

The snake it says to had corrupted Eve who corrupted Adam to go againts Yavhe words and eat the forbbiden fruit.
      Corrupting or ... manipuling.

The first look of the Snake is on the top of Goddess of Sands head, like if he control her mind.

You have it, the snake represent Demise or rather Demise curse who controlled and corrupted the Goddess of Sands to do evil things .... but what evil things ?

The Evil Goddess

Killing all life in Lanayru Region.
      1000 years prior Skyward Sword, Lanayru was said to be a green paradise near the sea, the Time shift stone show us it was in the past. But in the present, it's now just a dead desert almost empty of life. Even the Thunder Dragon died without us giving him the Life Three Fruit.
      But ... how ?

The Wind that brought death with it…

Ganondorf TWW wrote:

My country lay within a vast desert.
      When the sun rose into the sky, a burning
      wind punished my lands, searing the world.
      And when the moon climbed into the dark
      of night, a frigid gale pierced our homes.
      No matter when it came, the wind carried
      the same thing… Death.

But the winds that blew across the green
      fields of Hyrule brought something other
      than suffering and ruin.
      I coveted that wind, I suppose.
      ワシの国は 砂漠の中にあった
      日のあるうちは灼熱の風
      月がのぼれば荒涼の風・・・
      風が死を運んできた・・・
      ハイラルの大地に吹く風は、
      死とは別のものを運んでくる
      ワシは、この風が欲しかったのかもしれぬ
      My country was within a desert.
      The scorching wind under the sun
      The dreary wind as the moon climbed…
      The wind brought death with it…
      The wind that blew over Hyrule,
      brought something other than death
      I suppose I sought that Wind…

Thanks Kantopia and XKAN for this translation.

The Wind that Ganondorf describe prior to the Final Battle of The Wind Waker, could be the reason of the desertification of Lanayru into the futur Gerudo Desert, and the Sand Goddess is the one who control it.

A Evil Wind for a Evil Goddess,

"The Desert Colossus's face...it sure looks evil!" — Navi
      巨大邪神像 (Kyodai Jashin Zou)Giant Evil God Statue

Why would the Gerudo workship a Evil Goddess ? It seem like she wasn't evil in the first place, the Snake did it.

I've theorized that Gerudo and Hylian are both from the human race but split when they chose their deity.
      The Humans that chose Hylia were sent in the Sky during the Demon invasion to become the Hylians with Hylia's sacred power and edgy ears.
      The Humans that lived in the Desert worshiping the Goddess of Sand get changed into a female tribe with one man as the one who keep the race alive by doing male things ... that's a Harem, Nintendo was really being inspired by arabic culture to creat the Gerudo Tribe, and still have round ears.

But Hylia is the one that the Three Godesses has chosen to be the Guardian of the Triforce, spreading jealousy to other deities.
      Why the world of Light and not the Dark Realm ? Thinking Demise ...
      Why Hylia and not me ? Thinking the Goddess of Sands....

As the Goddess of a Dry Land where death is close, she was probably close to Demise and the Demon Tribe of the Dark Realm who is also the realm of the deads, the Yomi or Grec Hells of the Zelda universe.
      Even if Demise said himself to hate the entire God tribe, he could had used her as a tool, exploit her jealousy to make her doing evil stuff. He is the Snake, as the Imprisoned is somehow a snake and have scales.

Demise died ... but his curse was still here, the Hatred curse, who his also the Snake.

The Snake still want the Triforce and so he make the Goddess of Sands doing more evil things.

The Dark Interllopers

Snakes are present into Twili Culture, the Twili throne, Midna cloths, pots, the back of the Twillight Mirror and the more important ... the Fused Shadow. Yeah, no one never noticed those snakes because they were trying to find a non-existent Sheikah eye on it.

Arbiter's Ground show us a connection between them and the Goddess of Sands as her statue is everywhere even on the Mirror of Twilight mecanism.

This tribe was said to mastered dark magic and attempt to gain the Triforce for themself or do they ... ?

Who give them such dark powers ? A powerful Deity ? The Goddess of Sands who "work" for the Demon Tribe !
      She share her desire to gain the Triforce ... as a member of the God Tribe, she can't control it by herself and need mortals to do her job.
      Those Dark Interllopers were just thieves she sent to Hylia's people in attempt to steal the Triforce.

The Three Goddesses don't interfer with the mortals, only where they've prayed for it like with the flood, but a God going against their words is unacceptable.

If the Force Era and Era of Chaos and Prosperity were swap like it should be ...

The Oracles, The Three Goddesses Mortal Avatars, were sent in Hyrule to investigate the Strange events, Link of The Minish Cap help them finding a house ... forget about the localisation bug ...
      Vaati doings were not why they were here .....

In the Forest lies a hideout of the Dark Tribe, the Temple of Darkness were they used the Dark Mirror connected with the Shadow Realm and other stuff to creat the Fused Shadow and a army of shadow Demons, like TP Lanayru creep scene show us.
      Could it be that the Poe Sisters was part of the Dark Tribe and the Lost Woods Curse was their doing ?

The Tribe then attacked Hyrule, the Era of Chaos, but the Goddesses discovered about Goddess of Sands divine intervetion and sent the Light Spirits to stop the Dark Interllopers, the Fused Shadow was break, the Dark Mirror sealed and the Tribe banished from the Light World to the Twilight Realm.

Death Sword (of Gobela) and Stallord(Hahra Gigant) are Demons that get summoned during this event, maybe the Goddess of Sands is the one who summon them, hylians seal Death Sword and killed Stallord.

The divine judgment

To a member of the God Tribe that have go against what the Three Golden Goddesses of the Triforce have chosen to be, the punishement was her losing her Divine statut to became a mortal, like Hylia but Hylia want it.

Twinrova

Not one but two Gerudo born as her mortal reincarnation, Koume and Kotake, the twin sisters Twinrova.
      They share her divine power:
      Koume has the power of Fire, the Wind of the Day
      Kotake has the power of Ice, the Wind of the Night.

They can fusing into a powerful being, Twinrova who is the true reincarnation of the Goddess of Sands.

Like her, she can summon Demons from the Dark Realm, like Veran and Onox.

over 300 and a Half, they were waiting for ...

The Snake reborn

As the Goddess of the Sands have been lost, the Snake changed plans and reborn has a mortal being ... a Human ... a Gerudo ... a male ... Ganondorf Dragmire !
      The two witches was wainting for him to come and immediatly becoming his surrogate Mothers.
      For them, he was the New Demon King, Mandrag Ganon.

You have it, the "Snake" is what will become Ganon. And with that, in BOTW, Ganon look like a snake in his ghost form.

And here some ...

Other small Theories:

-In Oracles game, Twinrova target the Oracle as a revenge. The reason why their sacrifice to revive Ganon partially work is because of their divine origins.

-She died killed by Link in the Adult, sacrifice herself in the Downfall but ... Twinrova didn't die in the Child Timeline !
      Lived for more years, Seeing how her people suffer because of her doing, she redeem herself by sharing her power between 7 Gerudo Heroines, she is the height Heroine that got forgotten in Breath of the Wild, her sword is broken like during a cashiering ceremony, because she've betrayed her people.

-Veran and Death Sword who are sorcerers who can turn into bugs and swap into ghost form, Stallord and Onox who are both Dark Dragon are related.

Thank you for reading this, it would be nice if you tell me that I'm wrong or you agree and you have more proofs for it. :yeppers:
    • Disclaimer: I have my own Goddess of the Sands theory that I spent a lot of time and effort putting together, so it will probably be harder to convince me of any conflicting theory than it would your average Zelda fan.

That being said, there are some things about this theory that give me pause.

Nonoctoro wrote:

A Snake .... What is his most notable apparence in mythology ? The Snake of the forbbiden Fruit Tree in the myth of Adam and Eve in the garden of Eden.

This is the first main problem for me. Comparisons to real-world mythologies can be tenuous evidence to work with, in part because it's so subjective. For example, in some cultures, the snake is a symbol of fertility, not evil or manipulation. I don't know of any particular reason to believe that the serpent of Genesis was on the developers minds when they created the Spirit Temple, so identifying one snake with the other seems like quite a stretch. Since this point is the main thing that ties to Snake itself into this history and identifies its role, it makes for a flimsy foundation to the whole theory.

The other major concern is a lack of evidence for a few key claims. Specifically, the next two quotes:

Nonoctoro wrote:

The Wind that Ganondorf describe prior to the Final Battle of The Wind Waker, could be the reason of the desertification of Lanayru into the futur Gerudo Desert, and the Sand Goddess is the one who control it.

I thought it was implied that the desertification of Lanayru resulted from over-mining by the Ancient Robots? I could be wrong about that, though; it's been a while since I played SS.

In any case, it's possible that the Goddess of the Sand caused this desertifying wind, but it could just as easily be a coincidence, couldn't it? Since we know deities can be born and die (the Deku Trees, for instance), how do we know that she was even alive when this change occurred?

Nonoctoro wrote:

Snakes are present into Twili Culture, the Twili throne, Midna cloths, pots, the back of the Twillight Mirror and the more important ... the Fused Shadow. Yeah, no one never noticed those snakes because they were trying to find a non-existent Sheikah eye on it.
      It does seem likely that the Interlopers have connection with the Goddess of the Sands, but it seems odd that their own imagery (not Arbiter's Grounds, which doesn't seem to have been built by them) only incorporates the Snake, not the Goddess herself. I suspect the link between the two is more distant than them working for her directly.

Also of note is that there are actually two snakes in that picture above. (I tried to quote the picture, but it didn't work for whatever reason.) That could just be meant to represent the Snake moving around or something along those lines, so it isn't really a deal-breaker to this interpretation, just something interesting to notice.

Nonoctoro wrote:

Demise died ... but his curse was still here, the Hatred curse, who his also the Snake.

The Snake still want the Triforce and so he make the Goddess of Sands doing more evil things.

So Demise's Hatred is what the snake ultimately represents.

Nonoctoro wrote:

If the Force Era and Era of Chaos and Prosperity were swap like it should be ...

Wait, why is the Force Era being swapped with the Eras of Chaos and Prosperity? Is this just a modified timeline that we're using for this theory? (Edit: I see now that's how it is in the timeline in your sig. It makes sense you'd be working with that.)

Nonoctoro wrote:

Not one but two Gerudo born as her mortal reincarnation, Koume and Kotake, the twin sisters Twinrova.
      They share her divine power:
      Koume has the power of Fire, the Wind of the Day
      Kotake has the power of Ice, the Wind of the Night.

I like the duality of Koume and Kotake's powers playing into the duality of Ganondorf's burning and frigid winds. Even outside of the context of this theory, it makes me wonder whether that was part of their influence on him.

Nonoctoro wrote:

Like her, she can summon Demons from the Dark Realm, like Veran and Onox.

Nonoctoro wrote:

-Veran and Death Sword who are sorcerers who can turn into bugs and swap into ghost form, Stallord and Onox who are both Dark Dragon are related.

That's also a nice connection, Twinrova summoning demons similar what the Goddess of the Sand summoned.

Nonoctoro wrote:

As the Goddess of the Sands have been lost, the Snake changed plans and reborn has a mortal being ... a Human ... a Gerudo ... a male ... Ganondorf Dragmire !

Okay, so Ganondorf is the Snake, who is Demise's Hatred. Does that mean that when Ganondorf dies, that's the end of the curse?
      Goddess of the Sands

Map of Thyphlo Ruins

Forest Architects

If you have Amiibo Tap: Nintendo's Greatest Bits on Wii U, you can reset which games your amiibo unlock by deleting the game and then redownloading it.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Evran_Speer ().

• I was thinking of how the snakes of Twilis would match with Goddess of Sands Snake .... And Gamtos just help me !

Duality !
      -For the Spirit Temple, those two Cobras : Past, Futur.
      - Twinrova and the Winds are : Fire, Ice.
      - When the Wind is deadly in the Desert: Day, Night.

Their is two snakes on Twili's artefact !

For the mythology part ....

Celtic Snake and Ouroboros, the Snake eating his own tail are symbolic of infinity.
      Demise curse is "infinite".

"Though this is not the end. My hate... never perishes. It is born anew in a cycle with no end!"

I think it's working, but you're right on how this can be just coincidences.

Evran_Speer wrote:

I thought it was implied that the desertification of Lanayru resulted from over-mining by the Ancient Robots?

I was also thinking that before, but why would the Dragon die too ? The Water Dragon told us he doesn't care about his own health. But robots try to heal him with the Life Tree Fruit. And in one building there is a paper on a wall who was talking about this event, with a "we need more trees" thing on it.
      Does Time Shift stones are Uranium of Zelda ?

Also, the robots are like instant deads, on the place they were 1000 years before. But they are made of Timeshift stone, it wouldn't hurt them. And, pollution and the dissaparation of the sea seem unconnected, today, pollution and global warning make seas going up, not down.

A Wind of death could be another explenation for this.