Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    • Nintendo
    Super Smash Bros. Official Discussion Thread: EVERYONE IS HERE

Post by Makuta Teridax ().

This post was deleted by the author themselves ().
    • Mirren wrote:

Max N. wrote:

JPineapple wrote:

How does everyone feel about the possibility of a dragon wuest chatwctrr being one ? Supposedly it’s the hero of 3. None of my friends weren’t too happy with the idea lol
      It would be an absolute killer choice for the Japanese fanbase. Dragon Quest is immensely important to gaming culture over there. Almost nobody outside Japan would love it, but that hasn't stopped Nintendo in the past (as it shouldn't).My problem with main Dragon Quest characters would be that they're all human sword users in an anime art style, and we've already got so many of those. I'd personally have a very hard time summoning any enthusiasm for that.
      #SlimeForSmash

I've been telling people this for years. If something from Dragon Quest gets in, the Slime is the most iconic and even has games where it stars.
    • I've had the past week off and got some good gaming in. Picked up Ridley and Pichu as (very casual) secondaries to Olimar just to cover a wide range of different playstyles. Still enjoying online although my shitty connection is preveting me from doing too much competitevly with it. Mostly just playing Quickplays and enjoying the various rulesets people come up with, trying to discern which are just preferred ways to play and which are griefers hoping to spike a gimmicky win.

Played a Bowser on Tuesday who set us at 3 stock, 300 HP, items on, all stages, 3 minutes. No idea what he was trying to do but I kept rematching and generally kept winning three stock to two on timeout. :cookiemonster:

Francis wrote:

I'm not bothered by the Fire Emblem reps, but the fact they're all sword users is a little disappointing. I personally love spears and am sad Smash has no spear users. Ridley is the closest thing and that's so strange to say because he's... Ridley. Also, FE having more reps than Zelda is a little disconcerting. Though I'd kind of like to see new series be represented with the DLC fighters, so I'm not really pushing for a new Zelda rep at this point.

I joked about it until it stopped being a joke but Hornet from Hollow Knight would be excellent. Especially with the upcoming Silksong sequel with her as the leadin role. I don't see it as very likely since the face of the Indie scene, Shovel Knight, only made it in as an assist and it might be kind of unfair to Indie devs in general to pick favorites like that.
      I'd play the shit out of a spear (or really any pole-arm) user. Always loved the spear aesthetic and I'm just imagining a heavily ground-based char with disjoint hitboxs that outrange fairs from swordies and cover a full quarter circle in front of you (maybe a uptilit goes out at 45 degrees and overlaps the hitbox of fsmash or ftilt?) and an upsmash that goes straight up and anti-airs up to and including link's dair. Be still my heart.
      ~~~
      Although postsocratics like St. Augustine and Judith Butler explored a diverse set of ethical and metaphysical ideas, their unifying feature as a movement was a principled refusal to speculate upon which of the four elements the world was made out of.
      ~~~

boxes is the best human and I am going to get her a kitten or 2 kittens

The post was edited 1 time, last by Foo ().

• No projectiles or maybe only a slower closish range zoning projectile like arcfire (maybe you throw a spear to stick in the ground, does damage on initial hit but otherwise just sits their for 30+ frames as a barrier you can't walk/roll through, and projectile will stop on, but hitboxes will pass through), maybe limited aggressive angles (although you'd need some safe on shield options: if fair is spear move it probably give you a ton of space), probably shitty disadvantage state when opponents are right inside of you. Your Nair is probably only space clearing option in the air and is probably fairly slow to come out.
      ~~~
      Although postsocratics like St. Augustine and Judith Butler explored a diverse set of ethical and metaphysical ideas, their unifying feature as a movement was a principled refusal to speculate upon which of the four elements the world was made out of.
      ~~~

• Belmonts are cool, and certainly their aerial game is similar to what I'd like to see out of a spear user, but the chain is ultimately one component of a larger kit and I'd love something more focused.

(I'm conflating multiple items on my wants lists here a little. Polearm fighting is cool aesthetically and Id be happy to see it however it played.

But imagining Lucina getting poked out of her nair with a spear from a standing position is *chef finger kiss*

Relative to melee and brawl [it feels to me] so much of ultimate is played in the air - there's the quicker squat animation but also: most bread and butter combos are juggles, tech chases are de-emphasized; many character's only non-parry out of shield options are quick aerials, defensive grabs suck; many of the most played characters have a horizontal projectile, the best approach to those projectiles is usually to jump over and come in at the enemy's 1 o'clock or 2 o'clock, the best answer to someone coming in on those angles that doesn't sacrifice space is usually to go to the air yourself. That's cool but I really love a more grounded, patient characters.)
      ~~~
      ~~~

• Sure, although both are far more frenetic in the neutral than what I'm looking for. Maybe some DK DNA in there too :P

ETA: The tech chase vs Inliking at 3:12 here:

Just... more of this please.
      (God I have so much work to do on my Ridley)
      ~~~
      ~~~