Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    • Nintendo
    Super Smash Bros. Official Discussion Thread: EVERYONE IS HERE
    • Well for me since I'm jaded due to the same game as @Topaz Mutiny said it's more or less that it's a compact way to reduce the amount of time I'll need to unlock my old freaking mains/characters I want to try out right away that isn't just doing classic over and over or playing a ton of matches with a gimped roster. I'm not actually expecting anything noteworthy out of that mode.

Also as one of the few who wanted Rex in, way to kill the expectation I had for DLC (since release timings made him being on the base roster impossible) with the Mii costume and the Pyra spirit which are basically synonymous with "never ever".

The post was edited 2 times, last by Jackos ().

• Advance wrote:

Crazy how almost every single leak was false in the end. Never would've expected that
      Maybe Nintendo trolled us and removed every rumor/leak from the line-up, only to sell them as DLC.

But anyway, those DLC fighters are expensive again. :( I guess the game took so many resources to develop, that they need to make up the losses with DLC?
      100% | Finished | Now playing:
      TLoZ | 2nd Q | TAoL | ALttP | LA | LA DX | OoT | OoT MQ | MM | OoA | OoS | ALttP (GBA) | FS | TWW | FSA | TMC | TP | LCT | PH | ST | OoT 3D | FS AE | SS | ALBW | MM 3D | TFH | TP HD | BotW
    • Okay, so, not exactly anything truly hype-worthy to me as far as announcements go. I'm glad there's finally a new "big" single player mode. It's obviously not on the scope of Subspace Emmissary, and I think I'm still gonna miss having sidescrolling sections. But the mode still looks great if you ask me, and it definitely thrashes anything from Sm4sh as far as single-player goes. Coupled with the Classic Mode being unique for every character, I'll have plenty to do when I don't have friends over, which is definitely what I was hoping for.

Fighters!

Ken and Incineroar. Not particularly excited about either of them. Even aside from leaks and shit, they're were both pretty much expected. Maybe not Incineroar specifically, but I think it was pretty obvious we were gonna get a playable Gen 7 Pokémon.

But then we move onto... A fucking Piranha Plant? There we go! This game's WTF character pretty much, hahaha. Literally no one ever saw this character coming and it feels like the ultimate troll pick. This game was really missing something like that until now. I don't get it though, is he one of the supposed 5 characters in the pack that they're just gonna temporarily offer for free? Or is he a separate bonus, meaning a total of 6 DLC characters?c Either way, this is like THE most "Sakurai" character of all time.

Isaac's an Assist Trophy. I obviously still wish he was a fighter, but it's still nice to see him back after being completely missing from Sm4sh. Feels like closure somehow.

Online sounds fine. But I still wonder how the whole deal about choosing specific rulesets is gonna play out. I really don't want to play any 4-player, free-for-all matches online at all if possible, and from the way it sounds, it might not be avoidable. Creating arenas is exactly the kind of shit I've wanted to see since they announced Brawl was gonna have an online mode though, so that's great!

Not much else to talk about. I was honestly expecting more, and I'm not talking about characters. It still feels like so many features are missing.
    • Alright then boys, time for a casualty count in our DLC expectations.

Assist trophies:
      • Shadow
      • Guile
      • Akira
      • Black Knight
      • Spring Man
      • Dillon
      • Dr. Wily
      • Tiki
      • Skull Kid
      • Isaac
      Spirits:
      • Shantae
      • Chibi Robo
      • Dry Bowser
      • Dixie Kong
      • Slippy Toad
      • Octoling
      • Metal Sonic
      • All of the Champions
      • Doc Louis
      • Toadette
      • Shy Guy
      • Kyle Hyde :p
      • Regular Waddle Dee
      • Duster
      • Jeanne

Partial signature credit to Eternalegend
    • Canyarion wrote:

But anyway, those DLC fighters are expensive again. :( I guess the game took so many resources to develop, that they need to make up the losses with DLC?

Well, it's $25 for all five DLC packs together (i.e. the "Fighters Pass"), which will include five fighters, five stages and an unknown assortment of music. Not sure if I'd call that expensive, especially when considering the fact that the fighters will not be veterans (since they're all in the game already) and they won't be Echo Fighters either.

With Smash 4 you had something like the "All-in-One Fighter Bundle" which included all DLC characters and stages (and accompanying music). That bundle cost $35 ($42 if you wanted it for both versions), and included seven fighters as well as three stages. However, three of the characters were returning veterans (Roy, Lucas, Mewtwo). There was also the additional stage bundle which included four returning stages and one brand new one, for about $10 (Wii U version).

What I didn't mention yet, of course, is the fact that these bundles were released in February of 2016, which was during the final wave of DLC for the game. If you wanted the DLC while it was current, you had to pay more.

Maybe $25 is a lot for five characters + five stages. I don't really think so, but then again I also paid for the Smash 4 DLC without much of a fuss, so maybe I'm not the right guy to determine such. But there's no doubt in my mind that it's less expensive this time around. Unless, of course, you decide to pay $6 five times for every pack separately, bringing your total up to $30. But even then I think that it's a better value than the "All-in-One Fighter Bundle" that Smash 4 had.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Abyss Master ().

• No trophies was the single biggest sting for me in that whole Direct. The Spirits stuff looks...meh. Probably won’t mess around with it too much.

Sakurai’s entire hype strategy with Smash Bros. is just so weird. Way too front loaded. I mean, saving Ken and Incineroar as the final two reveals?

On a smaller note, I really wanted new amiibo for redesigned Zelda and Ganondorf.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Common Knowledge ().

• I was listening to the direct as it happened and wasn't able to watch much so I'll comment more in depth later. Ive seen Black Knight is an assist trophy which is a little disappointing by my expectations but I'm still happy to have one of my favorite Fire Emblem characters move up from being a trophy (which i guess he otherwise wouldn't be in at all then unless he was a spirit). Any focus that isn't on FE 13 or 14 is a blessing at this point.
      I did see a bit of Incineroar's animation and he looks so cute! The HD fur is amazing.
      Also got me on that bait and switch and I'm very excited about adventure mode actually being confirmed.
    • Abyss Master wrote:

Maybe $25 is a lot for five characters + five stages. I don't really think so,
      You're getting 74 fighters for €50. Sure, these 5 are brand new, but I think it's expensive. A 50% price increase just to get a 6% character increase.
      But the main game is just a great deal. It's such a good deal that they need expensive DLC to make a real profit.

Zoran Hero wrote:

I don't see why spirits or assist trophies aren't candidates for dlc.
      Sure, for future DLC[i][/i] I could believe that. But for the 5 announced fighters? Nintendo already knows which 5 those will be.
      The only reason to also make (temporary?) Assist Trophies of them is to keep the DLC fighters a surprise.

Common Knowledge wrote:

No trophies was the single biggest sting for me in that whole Direct. The Spirits stuff looks...meh. Probably won’t mess around with it too much.
      What I don't really understand about the Spirits is how you collect them. You need to restore them to the 'real world' or something... You do that by releasing them, but then they can't help you anymore in the game.
      So if you release them, do they show up in some sort of 'restored' gallery? Or do they just disappear and is it like you never found them in the first place?
      I just want to know how I collect everything. Because Spirits just seem like trophies with less effort put into them.
      100% | Finished | Now playing:
      TLoZ | 2nd Q | TAoL | ALttP | LA | LA DX | OoT | OoT MQ | MM | OoA | OoS | ALttP (GBA) | FS | TWW | FSA | TMC | TP | LCT | PH | ST | OoT 3D | FS AE | SS | ALBW | MM 3D | TFH | TP HD | BotW
    • Common Knowledge wrote:

Sakurai’s entire hype strategy with Smash Bros. is just so weird. Way too front loaded. I mean, saving Ken and Incineroar as the final two reveals?

I struggle to fully understand this complaint. I've seen it elsewhere, but I honestly don't get it.

Like, does anyone here really feel like the hype is so important that it's not enough to just get hyped anymore, we need to get hyped the right way at the right time? I don't think I've honestly heard about "hype strategy" before, and it certainly didn't seem to be a factor with the previous games in the series. Anyone remember what the hype strategy was for Brawl? Or Smash 4? I can recall some pretty cool character announcements, but for the life of me I can't remember who got announced in what order.

And the reason for that is simple; the hype is utterly inconsequential after the fact. It's like a bag of crisps - delicious and satisfying in the moment as you gorge on it, but it doesn't really amount to anything worthwhile in the long run.

Canyarion wrote:

Abyss Master wrote:

Maybe $25 is a lot for five characters + five stages. I don't really think so,

You're getting 74 fighters for €50. Sure, these 5 are brand new, but I think it's expensive. A 50% price increase just to get a 6% character increase.But the main game is just a great deal. It's such a good deal that they need expensive DLC to make a real profit.

This is also a weird one. Why frame it in percentages? Why ignore precedent? It doesn't really seem like a very sensible way of approaching this.

Sure, you're getting a game chocked full of content for the standard price. I don't think that should mean that the DLC should be priced as a percentage of the main game, because as you point out, the game is such a great deal for the amount of content it packs. So if the DLC doesn't match that value relative to price, it's deemed to be expensive? I find that reasoning to be deeply flawed, because we clearly don't apply it to other fighting games (Soul Calibur 6 and Marvel vs Capcom Infinite both have you pay $30 for their respective season passes, Tekken 7 has you pay $5 for a single DLC character, all of which is entirely comparable to Smash Ultimate), and it would actually mean that for every character that's added to the roster, the inherent value of each individual character is diminished. So if we take this to its logical conclusion, it would mean that the fewer characters you have in the roster, the more you're allowed to charge for them because they individually make up a larger percentage of the total roster.

That seems backwards to me.