Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    • Nintendo
    Super Smash Bros. Official Discussion Thread: EVERYONE IS HERE
    • Thing is, the Shantae spirit isn't named "Shantae (Half-Genie Hero)", otherwise that would have been a major clue. Yeah, they could always go back and rename the Spirit so as not to confuse it with her Fighter Spirit, but if they were planning on including her from the get-go, you'd think they would have named the Spirit in such a manner as to suggest there could be more than one.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Miles ().

• Miles wrote:

Thing is, the Shantae spirit isn't named "Shantae (Half-Genie Hero)", otherwise that would have been a major clue. Yeah, they could always go back and rename the Spirit so as not to confuse it with her Fighter Spirit, but if they were planning on including her from the get-go, you'd think they would have named the Spirit in such a manner as to suggest there could be more than one.
      And give away the secret? If they did that, we woukd have already guessed some of the DLC fighters.
      100% | Finished | Now playing:
      TLoZ | 2nd Q | TAoL | ALttP | LA | LA DX | OoT | OoT MQ | MM | OoA | OoS | ALttP (GBA) | FS | TWW | FSA | TMC | TP | LCT | PH | ST | OoT 3D | FS AE | SS | ALBW | MM 3D | TFH | TP HD | BotW
    • Would we though? Not like Joker's inclusion was predictable by spirits.

Oy Backset, don't compare the greatest of the Koopalings to a character no one asked for in Melee. Roy Fire Emblem never would have gotten in by notoriety.

I wonder if Joker will play like a Jojo Stand User.
      P4Arena gives a roughhh idea but I'm hoping it'll be a lot more fluent than that.
    • The Koopalings were, and once again are, some of Bowser's most notable minions, with distinct looks and personalities. I think the way they were implemented was rather clever (though the loss of their unique skills such as Lemmy's ball riding and Wendy's rings is regrettable), and it makes me want to see similar "slot-sharing" for other characters, for example a Fire Emblem rep who shares their class or many of their attributes with other characters in the series. Take Navarre, Lyn, and Owain for example, all of whom are basically Samurai with single-edged swords. Create a basic body for males and females each, design a moveset that emphasizes quick sword strokes, exercise the headswap principle, and viola.

But since FE already has so many swordfighters, I'd prioritize the axe-wielding Fighters and lance-wielding Knights as their playstyles would be very different from Marth's speedy swordsmanship. Also, if gender-balancing is a concern you could have Robin and Corrin fill half the slots with one male and one female variant each, like Fighter Robin or Knight Corrin, as a nod to the fact they can have basically any class in their respective games. Only if you can't find eight good reps for a particular class, of course.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Miles ().

• gamtos wrote:

Would we though? Not like Joker's inclusion was predictable by spirits.
      If there was a Spirit called "Joker (undercover outfit)" or whatever, then yeah, that would be super suspicious. Why include a very specific version of a character but not the regular version?

Because that's what Miles was saying. That if Shantae will be a fighter, her spirit should have been named "Shantae (Half-Genie Hero)". But they'd never do that, because it would be a huge hint that the regular version would become playable.
      TLoZ | 2nd Q | TAoL | ALttP | LA | LA DX | OoT | OoT MQ | MM | OoA | OoS | ALttP (GBA) | FS | TWW | FSA | TMC | TP | LCT | PH | ST | OoT 3D | FS AE | SS | ALBW | MM 3D | TFH | TP HD | BotW
    • I saw someone on YouTube say that Pichu was an odd pick, so I and someone else replied saying that it was pushed as a "second mascot" back in the day. It made me wonder if, in an alternate universe somewhere, Marill is Smash's Gen 2 representative instead.
    • I'm coming back to the series after a long break. I played a lot (a looooot) of melee in my freshman year of uni living in residence and then a significant amount of brawl with the same crowd the year later whenever we could find time. I found very occasional opportunities to play melee in the intervening 10 years and enjoyed the occasional stream, but I never touched sm4sh or the DS game.

I picked up Ultimate (and a switch compatible gamecube controller) over the holidays and played through the adventure, but because we were in the middle of basketball season I didn't have much time to play. Ball wrapped up last weekend so I've finally got a chance to get into the game. I got online yesterday and I've been having a grand ol time.

First major issue I'm running into is controller configuration.

I learned melee with a strong right hand bias and kept it into brawl. I shield with R (ZR now I guess) and keep tap jump off. This flouts common wisdom concerning the L button and leaves my left hand with relatively little to do but I've always worked around it. In melee I played Fox and my primary out of shield options were upsmash, grab and Nair (it was good enough given the time and place >>). In Brawl, playing Olimar, I almost always grabbed OOS.

I'm not sure this is gonna cut it in ultimate. I'm not sure I fully understand the reasoning behind the nerf to out of shield grabs but I certainly feel it in every game I play. I've started to retrain myself to short hop Nairs but it's slow going and none of the character I play seem to get enough mileage out of the nair anyway.

So I need to improve my short hop fairs and bairs out of shield, but I'm not exactly sure what that's going to require of me. The only viable input that works with my traditional controller settings and hand preferences - tap x -> tilt -> A - is certainly more technical that my casual ol' hands can guarantee and has a lot of annoying failure modes (most notably either accidentally inputting a roll or a full jump). I've played around this morning with a shoulder button jump into a c-stick aerial and it feels easy and great but it means I'm going to have to retrain myself into either a ZL jump or, since I've putting in the effort anyway, moving my natural shield to the left hand and jumping with ZR.

I've been messing around with the latter against CPUs and lord it's a mind trip. Hard to undo 13+ years of muscle memory :/
      ~~~
      Although postsocratics like St. Augustine and Judith Butler explored a diverse set of ethical and metaphysical ideas, their unifying feature as a movement was a principled refusal to speculate upon which of the four elements the world was made out of.
      ~~~

boxes is the best human and I am going to get her a kitten or 2 kittens

The post was edited 3 times, last by Foo ().

• Canyarion wrote:

gamtos wrote:

Would we though? Not like Joker's inclusion was predictable by spirits.
      If there was a Spirit called "Joker (undercover outfit)" or whatever, then yeah, that would be super suspicious. Why include a very specific version of a character but not the regular version?
      Because that's what Miles was saying. That if Shantae will be a fighter, her spirit should have been named "Shantae (Half-Genie Hero)". But they'd never do that, because it would be a huge hint that the regular version would become playable.
      What I'm saying is that the DLC characters are likely the type that you wouldn't even expect a spirit of.
    • Solid eight hours later and I think I've got my brain pretty well retrained; going to the left for shield and the right for jump is feeling pretty natural. The fingers themselves are another story and I'm essentially never hitting short hops (without the buffered aerial trick) but I'm sure that'll come.

I'm really enjoying play at the edge in Ultimate, especially as Olimar. It's probably not a revelation to people who played Smash 4, but with edgehogging gone I'm not only more comfortable going offstage myself, I feel like their are actually times (ie. immediately after taking a stock off Ganon, Little Mac, Roy, etc) where it makes sense to abandon the neutral entirely and go to play a campy game from the ledge which is a really interesting dynamic.
      ~~~
      Although postsocratics like St. Augustine and Judith Butler explored a diverse set of ethical and metaphysical ideas, their unifying feature as a movement was a principled refusal to speculate upon which of the four elements the world was made out of.
      ~~~

• Does anyone have a problem with Spirits being stuck in their 'exhausted' state? Or what's it called when they just came from a mission and can't be used again right away.

I have plenty of Spirits that I want to level up, but I can't. They're stuck being 'exhausted'. Is that a known glitch?

Foo wrote:

short hops
      Did you read that if you press 2 jump buttons at the same time, it's a short hop? Not sure how useful that is, but I wanted to make sure you know.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Canyarion ().

• I'm getting real tired of blocking Brazilians who have so much lag there's a full 2 second input delay when playing against them, whether I win or lose the match is impossible to enjoy in those conditions, the worst part is that I'm using a LAN adapter and all but it's no use if the other guy has really bad wi-fi.

Also is it just me or if your opponent DCs you don't get any points from them on quickplay?

The post was edited 1 time, last by Jackos ().

• Did you read that if you press 2 jump buttons at the same time, it's a short hop? Not sure how useful that is, but I wanted to make sure you know.

I hadn't! Just gave it a whirl and it feels great. ZR+X for a short hop, ZR+A for a short hop Nair, and ZR+C for short hop directional aerial seems like it's a really intuitive set overall. Thanks a ton ^_^

ETA: And a simultaneous 2 jumps + tilt back gives you an automatic short hop backflip. Life is good.

(I've disconnected a couple times - still gotta pick up that LAN adapter - and I've always lost GSP as a result. It'd be weird if the other player didn't gain? But I'd certainly believe it >>)
      ~~~
      ~~~

The post was edited 1 time, last by Foo ().