Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    The K-pop Thread
    • Even though we already have a ton of threads about music, I thought this would be a fun idea, since Korean pop music as a genre itself is continuing to grow in popularity around the world. I thought it would be neat to have a thread to share how some got into the genre, favorite groups (and thus favorite members of said groups), favorite songs, share recommendations, etc. Of course, if you weren't already into the genre beforehand (I only know of a couple other people who are into the genre here on the forums personally...) I suppose this thread could be a great place to start!

(Joking!)

Anyway, as for myself in regards to my favorite group and how I got into the genre... (Put in a spoiler because I fear that it's a bit long...)
      Display Spoiler
      I'm obviously a pretty big fan of BTS (or Bangtan Boys, or Bulletproof Boy Scouts, however you'd like to say it...), who are arguably the most popular K-pop group out there. I'd like to honestly say that I've been listening to them since their debut in 2013, but that would be a bit of a lie. I actually used to poke a bit of fun at one of my friends in 2015 for liking K-pop (not because it was in a different language, but because generally I find some pop music to be a bit silly and often shallow, little did I know K-pop is different), regrettably, but later in 2016 BTS came out with the song Blood, Sweat, & Tears. I saw the song and screenshots from the music video everywhere. It was like I couldn't get away from it anyway, so I decided to go ahead and give it a listen. I was almost instantly captivated by the visuals of the music video, paired along with the meaning of the lyrics, the story it told, and of course the vocals and music itself. Since then I've been hooked, as they say. Though the release of DNA in 2017 was the real catalyst for my borderline obsession of them, I think. Haha. I'm fairly certain that I will continue to enjoy BTS' music as long as they keep making music!

My favorite member is Jimin, of course! He just has an amazing voice. Not to mention he's an incredible dancer, it's really inspiring. His smile is infectious! (I also really like his fashion sense and personality outside of the music videos.)

As for a single favorite song, it would probably be Blood, Sweat, & Tears, but I also really enjoy Dope, Dimple, Pied Piper, and MAMA. DNA was my favorite song for a while too haha. And of course I couldn't forget Jimin's songs! Lie and Serendipity are amazing.

I like other groups too, I occasionally find myself listening to Girls Generation or EXO, but by far and away BTS is my favorite, and I am certain that it will remain that way.
      "Go on your path, even if you live for a day." - Park Jimin

\ Love Yourself /
    • This is a thread I can get behind.

I'm a casual k-pop fan, with the emphasis on casual given the... not infrequently off-putting degree of obsession that a lot of hardcore fans seem to display... lol. But yeah, I tend to favor the ladies of k-pop, and am particularly fond of Dreamcatcher, which I think is my favorite group.

Followed by Red Velvet and f(x) as runners-up. Heize, Hyuna, Mamamoo, Miss A, Blackpink, 4minute, and Girls Generation as well.

Sadly the genre is a bit bittersweet for me, since listening to the stuff often reminds me of the friend who had introduced me to it... and who eventually ended up going utterly psychotic on me. ^^;
    • Ah, I consider myself pretty deeply invested in BTS, but I wouldn't say I'd ever go as far as some ARMY do (like, sending hate on other artists' pages and videos... that's just terrible). Yes, not "hardcore" at all haha.

I remember you mentioning those groups before, @Chel, may I ask if you have any favorite members from any of them (I know I personally am a fan of Amber from f(x))? Haha I know the girl groups tend to be pretty large sometimes.

\ Love Yourself /
    • Jimin wrote:

Ah, I consider myself pretty deeply invested in BTS, but I wouldn't say I'd ever go as far as some ARMY do (like, sending hate on other artists' pages and videos... that's just terrible). Yes, not "hardcore" at all haha.
      I know, right? Militant fanaticism isn't really my thing, lol. ^^;

Jimin wrote:

I remember you mentioning those groups before, @Chel, may I ask if you have any favorite members from any of them (I know I personally am a fan of Amber from f(x))? Haha I know the girl groups tend to be pretty large sometimes.
      I confess that I don't tend to pay very much attention to the individual members, to be honest. They all seem quite lovely in their own ways, but I've never really been the sort to really pay too much attention to an artist beyond simply listening to and enjoying their music. I watched a subbed variety show featuring Red Velvet once, which was hilarious, but that's about it. A little lame, I know... lol.
    • Ah, that's understandable! Especially if you aren't as into the genre. I do like those variety shows and the such though, they're always pretty entertaining.

Side note: got another friend interested in BTS today haha. They were asking me about it since they know of my love for Jimin, so I showed them some videos and songs. V (Taehyung) is their favorite member now for his "romantic, deep voice" haha. I'm very glad that K-pop is being more widely accepted nowadays so me showing it to a friend isn't considered as weird as it used to be (my friend who had been into it for a very long time said it was awkward to show it to people back when not many knew what it was).

\ Love Yourself /
    • Jimin wrote:

Ah, that's understandable! Especially if you aren't as into the genre. I do like those variety shows and the such though, they're always pretty entertaining.

Side note: got another friend interested in BTS today haha. They were asking me about it since they know of my love for Jimin, so I showed them some videos and songs. V (Taehyung) is their favorite member now for his "romantic, deep voice" haha. I'm very glad that K-pop is being more widely accepted nowadays so me showing it to a friend isn't considered as weird as it used to be (my friend who had been into it for a very long time said it was awkward to show it to people back when not many knew what it was).
      I like this! K-pop is becoming more known and widely accepted, more than so before.
      I wouldn't have known of K-Pop if it wasn't for Psy and Gangnam style.

Sort of glad I knew that to get more into the genre.
      Because at the time I was thinking.

Is Psy really the ONLY representation South Korea has for its music...
      so having explored it more, saying no to that logic.

I found so many cool girl groups and soloists.

♫ Too Wonderfully Weird and Girly Crazy to Care ♫
      ♥ Project Funny Bones ♥

--Poet and GFXer --

The post was edited 1 time, last by American Cheesecake 667 ().

• Hi there ! I'm basically just a random Kpop trash ~

I personally knew Kpop for the first time around 2010 with SNSD and BIGBANG in 2012 but I wasn't interested much in it (huge mistake :') ).

I think it was around the same time as you Jimin when I really got into Kpop, with Blood, Sweat and Tears from BTS, this song really caught my attention and then I started wanting to know more about Kpop groups and all.

Now BTS is certainly my favorite group since they are the one that really got me but I like other groups too.
    • Yunie wrote:

Hi there ! I'm basically just a random Kpop trash ~

I personally knew Kpop for the first time around 2010 with SNSD and BIGBANG in 2012 but I wasn't interested much in it (huge mistake :') ).

I think it was around the same time as you Jimin when I really got into Kpop, with Blood, Sweat and Tears from BTS, this song really caught my attention and then I started wanting to know more about Kpop groups and all.

Now BTS is certainly my favorite group since they are the one that really got me but I like other groups too.
      Ah, interesting. I think the first ever K-pop songs I've ever heard were actually I Got A Boy and Fantastic Baby. By SNSD and BIGBANG, of course. Haha interesting how our experiences are similar.

And another BTS fan! Rejoice!

\ Love Yourself /
    • Yunie wrote:

@Jimin Yeah he tries to be tough but deep inside he's just a small ball of fluff ♥

And gosh Serendipity I choked so many times ♥ Also these smol hands, so precious ♥

Yes. Listening to Agust D it's hard not to remember that he's also Suga the Silly haha.

And I yes I love Jimin's tiny hands.

Haha I think they're around the same size as my own hands, though I'm pretty sure his pinky is shorter haha.

\ Love Yourself /
    • Casual K-Pop fan here. Basically, I like almost all of the girls groups that I've seen - f(x), Mamamoo, Dreamcatcher, Girls Generation, Red velvet, etc, etc, etc. I actually listened to k-pop pretty obsessively until I had a bad run in with a hardcore fan that kinda left me a bit grumpy. I still listen these days, but if someone froths at the mouth about their favorite groups, I'm going to probably run in the opposite direction.